PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS Lite coming next month!

Carmilla
05-04-2006, 03:50 PM
Today it was announced that the DS Lite is coming to America on June 11th. Its gonna be white in color with a price of $150.

If any of you dont already own a DS than this is the perfect opportunity to own one.

I sold my DS system a few months ago in preparation of the Lite model.
I cant wait! :choc2:

Old Manus
05-04-2006, 03:56 PM
What

EDIT: Oh, right.

edczxcvbnm
05-04-2006, 04:06 PM
I want a sexy shiny purple version. That would give me an orgasm.

Shaun
05-04-2006, 04:14 PM
Very pointless if you already own a DS. If you don't own a DS, I see no reason why you shouldn't buy one.

But in the case of already owning a DS - let's face it, there's plenty of other things that could enlighten your gaming life rather than the same console...

Cid Vicious
05-04-2006, 04:41 PM
Why didn't they just make a lite one in the first place?

Shaun
05-04-2006, 05:02 PM
Technology advances over time.

Yamaneko
05-04-2006, 06:17 PM
The press release said "as low as $129".

Lychon
05-04-2006, 06:30 PM
Nintendo rules all. I've gots to get one!!!

-LYCHON

Elite Lord Sigma
05-04-2006, 08:30 PM
The only qualm I have is that it costs $150. Why can't it cost the same as the regular DS?

Yamaneko
05-04-2006, 09:13 PM
It'll probably be $150 with a game bundle and the regular $129 by itself.

On June 11, Nintendo DS(TM) Lite joins Nintendo's video gamefamily when it launches in the Americas. The lighter, brighter version of the hot-selling Nintendo DS is expected to be priced as low as $129.99 at retailers throughout the United States.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-04-2006, 10:02 PM
I'll get one eventually. I'm attracted to the brighter screen, larger stylus, and overall pocket size.

FallenAngel411
05-05-2006, 12:10 AM
I'm barely breaking in my DS now. I don't need a smaller version of the same system.

~SapphireStar~
05-05-2006, 12:36 AM
Very pointless if you already own a DS. If you don't own a DS, I see no reason why you shouldn't buy one.
Mines been on holiday twice with me, so we have an unspoken bond :D Keeping mine, no point getting a Lite.

Levian
05-05-2006, 12:39 AM
Sugarfree?

~SapphireStar~
05-05-2006, 12:40 AM
With lime :D

Necronopticous
05-05-2006, 01:13 AM
I'll wait for the pink.

Yamaneko
05-05-2006, 01:42 AM
It's worth it for the brighter screen alone.

Slim
05-05-2006, 02:17 AM
There is absolutely no need for the Nintendo DS Lite. It is the dumbest idea since the GBA Micro. A smaller version of the system is far from an upgrade. It's bull/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif. Who needs a brighter screen? It's already bright enough to see perfectly! It just makes it MORE dangerous for your eyes in the dark! So you pay another 200 dollars to go blind on a smaller screen! Obviously nintendo is just pissed off that their systems price did not stay at large for 10 years.... That's all I have to say.

Zeromus_X
05-05-2006, 02:25 AM
Good, it's cheaper, that's good. I don't have one yet, so all these little 'changes' are good, I suppose. :cat:

Rase
05-05-2006, 03:07 AM
There is absolutely no need for the Nintendo DS Lite. It is the dumbest idea since the GBA Micro. A smaller version of the system is far from an upgrade. It's bull/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif. Who needs a brighter screen? It's already bright enough to see perfectly! It just makes it MORE dangerous for your eyes in the dark! So you pay another 200 dollars to go blind on a smaller screen! Obviously nintendo is just pissed off that their systems price did not stay at large for 10 years.... That's all I have to say.

Or, you know, they could just be making a enhanced version to entice people who have been on the fence about whether or not to buy one.

Also, where did you hear it costs $200? Just curious, since Yams already posted twice in this thread saying it's expected to be as low as $129. And to my knowledge, the screens are the same size, though I'm not sure, so don't hold me to that.

LunarWeaver
05-05-2006, 03:07 AM
I don't have one yet either... But I'll keep my cash in my pants until Nintendo DS Microscopic Mach IV now With Four Screens and a Sticker comes out to buy one >_>;

The next e3 ^_^

Slim
05-05-2006, 03:08 AM
There is nothing enhanced about it.

Rase
05-05-2006, 03:50 AM
[The] Nintendo DS Lite will be less than two-thirds the size of the original Nintendo DS and more than 20 percent lighter.

Sound like improvements to me, especially seeing as how one of the main complaints about the original DS is it's bulky size. And I can say that there have definetly been times where I wished my DS's screen was a bit brighter and I couldn't change the lighting around me.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-05-2006, 03:54 AM
The stylus is also larger, making it more comfortable to hold.

Yamaneko
05-05-2006, 05:00 AM
The only downside to the new design is GBA carts now stick out. That's something I'm willing to live with, though.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-05-2006, 05:07 AM
As I recall the screen is also still the same size.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-05-2006, 05:47 AM
The screen is indeed the same size. The bottom screen is no longer sunken, though, so you don't have to worry about dust or whatever getting caught up around it. The Directional Pad is also modified for smoother control.

Yamaneko
05-05-2006, 06:49 AM
The buttons are more tactile with the Lite. The one thing I dislike about the regular DS is how you can't really tell which way you're pushing the directional pad.

Jowy
05-05-2006, 06:52 AM
After holding one in your hands, you'll never want to let go.

Lakenbelle
05-05-2006, 06:58 AM
I already own a DS, but I'm definitely getting a Lite. It's the best version of the best handheld on the market. Like said, everyone says that once you hold it the Phat DS feels terrible in your hands. It's an all-around improvement.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-05-2006, 02:58 PM
I'm looking forward to the DS Lite myself, and will be taking this opportunity to obtain it, as I never got around to getting a normal DS.

Chris
05-05-2006, 03:36 PM
To be honest, I had no idea about this Lite version of the DS. It has a brighter screen? God, my current DS is blinding me enough, so I don't need more light flashing directly into fragile eyes. My thoughts are: if you already got one, don't buy it. But if you haven't got one, then now is the time to buy one.

Carmilla
05-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Heres an awesome video comparing the screens and sizes of both DS systems. Check it out. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp7Be1qsblI

Slim
05-05-2006, 08:06 PM
You all think that these upgrades are worth 150 dollars? Or do you just figure since your parents know nothing of the 'system hullahbaloo' that you can easily ask for one without having any concern as to what it is costing them? I suppose if you do not already own a DS it is an intelligent choice over the original, but if you have one....

Yamaneko
05-05-2006, 08:43 PM
You all think that these upgrades are worth 150 dollars?
Yes. Good thing retailers are pricing it as $129.99, though. And I'm sure many of us have jobs and purchase whatever the hell we want with the money we earn. Now unless you have anything else to add to the thread, we understand your dislike of the new DS Lite, you do not need to remind us in every post. Thanks.

Slim
05-05-2006, 09:15 PM
No offense, but a video game such as nintendo's main audience should be children. Unemployed children. I happen to be employed and hate nintendos constant remake of a system. Optimize your system before releasing it, its all a sales hoax.

edczxcvbnm
05-05-2006, 09:26 PM
No offense, but a video game such as nintendo's main audience should be children.

How do you even figure that?

Slim
05-05-2006, 09:30 PM
I figure that because nintendo is clearly aimed at younger children because of the games it releases. It is clearly a childs system. How many first person shooters can you name that are exclusive for the GCN? For ANY nintendo system? The sports games even suck on nintendo systems. The main characters are normally childish looking as well (pokemon, every mario character, NINJA TURTLES, POWER RANGERS!)

Yamaneko
05-05-2006, 09:44 PM
Nintendo is marketing more to the mainstream than a niche of children who play video games. And does it really matter if kids buy a DS with their parent's money? The system had already been refined before its release. It was playable with no real problems. A smaller, lighter version of the DS with a brighter screen would have cost more a year ago. It's common business practice to move ahead technologically to further demand for a product. Are you against cell phone manufacturers releasing new versions of their phones every year? I'm assuming you want Nintendo to fail because that's all I'm getting out of your posts.

Slim
05-05-2006, 09:47 PM
I love nintendo, because quite frankly I am very childish in my taste for games. Like I mentioned before, name a nintendo exclusive FPS. I mentioned nothing on how well a system works, I am saying optimize before releasing.

Yamaneko
05-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Metroid Prime 1/2/Hunters.

Slim
05-05-2006, 09:52 PM
Halo, Halo 2, Black, Area 51, Brute Force, Call of Duty, Call of Duty 2, Counter Strike, Doom, dare I go on?

Yamaneko
05-05-2006, 09:59 PM
If we're talking about exclusives, some of those games have come out on different platforms.

It's known that Nintendo hasn't had the best third-part support since the SNES, and that their systems haven't been havens for FPS or sports titles, but they're trying to rectify that with the DS and especially the Wii. I still don't understand what you mean by "optimize".

Slim
05-05-2006, 10:11 PM
opˇtiˇmize

1. To make as perfect or effective as possible.
2. Computer Science. To increase the computing speed and efficiency of (a program), as by rewriting instructions.
3. To make the most of.

Also,
what does Wii mean? Revolution made more sense and was a way better name.

Yamaneko
05-05-2006, 10:20 PM
This new DS has the same hardware specs (aside from the brighter backlit screen) as the old one. You can't expect Nintendo, or any company for that matter, to look into the future and assume all design possibilites at the beginning of a products life cycle without revision.

Slim
05-05-2006, 10:23 PM
Exactly why it is a cash scam. 'This new DS has the same hardware specs as the old one.' There is no big improvement.

edczxcvbnm
05-05-2006, 10:25 PM
At the time the did optomize the system for the time they released it. Nintendo has always released a new version of their current Handheld system...the only expection being the GB Color.

GB -> GB pocket
GBA -> SP -> Micro
DS -> DSLite

I might even argue that the GBColor was just another enhanced version of the Gameboy. This is far from new on the handheld market.

Wii means nintendo made another retarded marketing move.

Yamaneko
05-05-2006, 10:27 PM
OK, you don't have to buy it. That's the great thing about capitalism. For those of us who wish to purchase it for whatever reason we have that option too and it isn't seen as a "cash scam". Nintendo is providing a good in exchange for monetary compensation. Just differing perceptions. :)

Jowy
05-05-2006, 11:18 PM
"name a nintendo exclusive FPS."

Red effing Steel. That's all you need.

And if Nintendo's only market is children, why was Resident Evil 4 a GCN exclusive for almost a year? Eternal Darkness? Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes? Yeah, parents will really buy those games for little Billy.

Also, Wii makes more sense, basically everywhere but America. God love the unnecessary genitalia jokes that come with it.

Wii will rock you. (pun intended)

BlackWaltz
05-05-2006, 11:29 PM
Anyone know when its being released in the UK? I havent even intented on buying a DS before since i have my PSP and love it :D but when i heard FFIII being released at the end of the year i thought gotta get meself a DS Lite! so anybody know?

Slim
05-06-2006, 12:03 AM
At the time the did optomize the system for the time they released it. Nintendo has always released a new version of their current Handheld system...the only expection being the GB Color.

GB -> GB pocket
GBA -> SP -> Micro
DS -> DSLite

I might even argue that the GBColor was just another enhanced version of the Gameboy. This is far from new on the handheld market.

Wii means nintendo made another retarded marketing move.

Thank you for proving my point. 3 farking versions of a GBA! Come on!

Plus, I said generally it is aimed at children, not entirely.

Madame Adequate
05-06-2006, 12:14 AM
Nintendo release more portable hardware than EA release iterations of sports games.

Yamaneko
05-06-2006, 02:24 AM
Sony released two versions of the PS2 and the slim version doesn't let you play FFXI.

NeoCracker
05-06-2006, 02:41 AM
Sony released two versions of the PS2 and the slim version doesn't let you play FFXI.
Plus it heats up faster.

Reine
05-06-2006, 01:29 PM
They also released two versions of the Playstation.

Sega made two versions of the Master System, the Mega Drive/Genesis and the CD thing

It is well worth getting a new version.

EG, the Gameboy Pocket was much smaller and was a lot more portable, also, the graphics looked that extra bit better. I cant compare sound, as I cant remember the sound

The Gameboy Colour was a vast improvement over the Pocket, it had longer battery life (I think) had better sound, wa shaped better for the hands, and had frickin colour!

The Gameboy Advance was great for its time, but as I have had limited use of one, I cannot comment on it much, apart from the buttons being in silly positions, and the lack of a light.

The GBA SP, was bloody goddamn awesome. The flip top screen meant the screen was finally scratch free, every other handheld, despite my every effort, has gotten scratchs on the screen. Also, it felt similar to a Pocket/Color, and the built in light was godly. I wondered how I had managed playing the others

When the Micro came out, I initially didnt want one, as I had my SP. At some point, I decided upon getting one, and it was NOT a waste at all. Due to the smaller size, the graphics are actually that extra bit better, its easier to hold and doesnt hurt the hands after extensive use, I can charge it AND use headphones at the same time, and its portability is unmatched. Also, using headphones, the sound is a bit better than the SP, or in my opinion at least. Also, my brother and I can both play GBA in the car, a gods end to my mother.

So, the remakes of these consoles arent just a waste. I never really wanted a DS, due to the lack of games, and the fact that its so huge. However, I was overjoyed at the news of the Lite. I will get this one for sure. I would rather have a silver one though, considering the fact that most of my consoles are silver, the PSP being the exception

Carmilla
05-06-2006, 02:44 PM
No offense, but a video game such as nintendo's main audience should be children. Unemployed children. I happen to be employed and hate nintendos constant remake of a system. Optimize your system before releasing it, its all a sales hoax.

This is alive and well in just about everything.

DVD's have special editions released 6 months later.
Comic books are released with 'special edition' covers.
Devil May Cry 3 and Metal Gear Solid 3 'special edition.'

Heck, i bought myself a brand new car in 2005 and it has 200 horsepower. The 2006 model was released with 210 horsepower!
And thats tens of thousands, not $50.

Or the rising gas prices! Or soda cans that come with 11.5 ounces instead of the regular 12!

These 'scams' are everywhere. :p

Lakenbelle
05-06-2006, 05:07 PM
The DS Lite is just a marketing move to get people that don't own DSes to buy one. It looks better than the regular DS and has more vibrant, PSP-quality screens. That's all it is, it's not meant for current owners. Nintendo made a more eye-pleasing version to improve their sales.

I will be turning my old DS in at GameStop for a bit of a discount on a DS Lite because I like the way it looks.

Slim
05-06-2006, 05:28 PM

What are you talking about. The slim one has a built in hard drive!

BlackWaltz
05-06-2006, 05:55 PM
no it dont? it isnt big enough for one to be inserted and needs an adapter

Yamaneko
05-06-2006, 06:11 PM

What are you talking about. The slim one has a built in hard drive!
No, it has the ethernet built-in.

Slim
05-06-2006, 11:35 PM
Oh, I guess smaller isn't better. Oh well, not too many people play FFXI anyways. If you have a slim play some of the other hundreds of PS2 games.

Reine
05-07-2006, 01:01 AM
I will get a slim PS2 myself, mainly because theres a new attachable screen for it, making it somewhat portable...

Also, my PS2 is starting to show signs of that disk read error...damnable thing

Slim
05-07-2006, 01:21 AM
Yeah, that'll happen. It's inevitable.

Lionx
05-08-2006, 03:49 AM
Oh, I guess smaller isn't better. Oh well, not too many people play FFXI anyways. If you have a slim play some of the other hundreds of PS2 games.

How do you know? You play it? Japanese people play FFXI almost exclusively on their PS2s and NOT on their PCs like the USA. Hence Sony screwed Square over, despite Sony's promises on the HDD being revolutionary in gaming. All this did was limit FFXI's potential by it restricted to the lowest common denominator(ie: PS2). So either you get PC or Xbox360 (which most japanese dont own) or you scour the world for a fat one, you dont get to play the game even if you wanted to.

FFXI's biggest draw is the japanese market base via PS2, and there are still 2000-5000 players with 3-4K average on almost all their servers with an increase lately with Xbox360. BTW my NES and original FAT Gameboy still works 100%.

I was very turned off by DS's size at first, i wanted to get one but i found out how...uncomfortable it would be if i had to bring it around. Now Lite is just what i needed. :3