PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP disk!

bipper
05-04-2006, 05:40 PM
I went to install my XP on my new computer, and the disk is damaged! It is not new by any means, and my children got a hold of my back up disk. Basicly, I need to find away to download a legitimate XP with sp 1 disk in which my key will work with. Just hoping someone has an answer:p

Thanks,
Bipper

crono_logical
05-04-2006, 06:16 PM
Since it's legit, Microsoft might actually replace it for you :p Alternatively, you could try a friend who has a copy of the same version, but use your key in the installation - I believe that would work if the version matches :p

bipper
05-04-2006, 06:24 PM
Since it's legit, Microsoft might actually replace it for you :p Alternatively, you could try a friend who has a copy of the same version, but use your key in the installation - I believe that would work if the version matches :p

Micro$oft is a POS. I just got off the phone with them, and first they ask for this disk number on the inside ring - being that my disk is mutilated I don't have it. So naturally they are trained to make you feel like its your fault that their disk, blew up at high speed in the drive. Whatever. Then they ask for my key - I give it to em. They say that is not good enough then ask for my serial number - give it to em. Then, agian, they claim they need more and ask for a certificate number, and I don't have that. I am certain my version did NOT come with one. So now I guess my windows is not valid because I only have 2 out of 4 of the numbers they demand. :rolleyes2

I don't really know of any friends whom have a copy of this exact disk. I hate @#$%#@%ing microsoft.

bipper

Yamaneko
05-04-2006, 07:30 PM
Is it retail or OEM?

o_O
05-04-2006, 10:44 PM
If I were you, I'd be just about mad enough to torrent it in spite of Microsoft. :p

Does it need to be legit for a business or something?

rubah
05-04-2006, 10:57 PM
I haven't had a disk to install windows from since win95 I don't believe. Since we bought the computer with winxp on it, I have no qualms about using the cd my brother made for me to reinstall and find a key for it.

bipper
05-05-2006, 02:53 AM
If I were you, I'd be just about mad enough to torrent it in spite of Microsoft. :p

Does it need to be legit for a business or something?

Winner. I actually downloaded a torrent, but got a response from a budy whom brought me a burned back up copy. worked perfectly.

I like to keep all my software legal, but when Microsoft gets so rediculously cautious that they screw over customers, smurf them.

The copy was OEM; which posed partial problem, but is NO excuse for the rudeness and helplessness of Micro$oft.

After this ordeal, I am completley glad I only throw XP on my Net/Trash Box.

Bipper

Peegee
05-06-2006, 07:16 AM
OEM is your first mistake. I assume this means you buy pre-built computers. Anyway I doubt heavily you're going to pay for a full version now.

Hope the 'illegal' version works for you :)

Samuraid
05-06-2006, 10:45 AM
On the contrary, I've had to call support to get windows activated when it had run out of activations (I've done this twice now) and it was the most straightforward and easy thing to do.

Plus OEM is far cheaper than buying retail as long as you purchase it with hardware.

bipper
05-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Yeah, microsoft has been helpful in the past - but this time they were just rude.

I did not buy a premade machine. eesh - gimme credit. I bought the OEM with hardware, and still paid the full price. -_- Needless to say, I'm glad my relationship with microsoft is nearly severed.

Bipper