PDA

View Full Version : phantasy star

Stayin Dizzy
05-04-2006, 08:09 PM
So I'm playin collection (1-3) and I'm partway through 1. Supposedly these are great classics, but so far I'm unconvinced. I don't mind the bad graphics, and the slow leveling sucks but I'm interested in how good the story ends up getting.

Zeldy
05-04-2006, 08:14 PM
Phantasy Star > all video games.

What level are you?
The early levels always suck; just wait till your higher it gets so much better. Its so addicting

Dreddz
05-04-2006, 08:19 PM
Phantasy star is a good series, although PSII and IV are the only ones worth playing. PSO is also good, but its more of a stat building RPG.
PSIV is definately the best in the series, screw the first three and get that one instead.
Im still a proud owner of the original megadrive cartridge :)

LunarWeaver
05-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Oy, I'm dying for Phantasy Universe. They brag it will have an actual story like the oldie but goodies of the series. Though it will probly just be exactly like PSO coz Sega doesn't seem to change anything these days >_>;

Stayin Dizzy
05-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Phantasy Star > all video games.

What level are you?
The early levels always suck; just wait till your higher it gets so much better. Its so addicting

Just got Noah and the cats first weapon in the cave south of Scion.

dirkdirden
05-04-2006, 09:20 PM
Compair Phantasy star with FF1 and Dragon Warrior.

Phantasy star was the best RPG of its time. It is better than FF1, and Better than Dragon warrior.

you can't respect a game fully if you play it out of it's time. Phantasy star is proably my favorite RPG of all time just becuase of the memorys I have playing it in its time. Just like playing ff7 was SO much better in 1997 then it is today.

and the caves are really hard, unless your cheating. Mudusa's cave is SO hard.

Erdrick Holmes
05-04-2006, 09:32 PM
Little known fact. PS1 was the first RPG to appear on a console in america.

RedCydranth
05-04-2006, 11:05 PM
wait, what? I dunno about that.... I thought that went to some really old crappy RPG or something. Definitely an NES game, not one for Sega.

Anyhow, whether Dark Holmes speaks truth or not, it doesn't stop the real facts. Phantasy Star is the most underrated series in the RPG world. Note, series not game.

Phantasy Star's games seem to really suffer in the first 1/3 of the game in story as you're seemingly thrown into a character you know nothing about and into a plotline seemingly already in progress. However this sorts itself out if you remain vigilant. I think this is a great plot device used to weed out the idiots. If a player quits because he or she do not get the story, its all the better becuae chances are they won't understand the complex story anyhow.

I own Phasntasy Star Collection for the GBA and it was a sound investment. those games are very good and I'll say 1 and 3 were the best. I used to own PS4 on the Genesis and that game was even better.

Thats where my love for the series dies though. When the game went to MMORPG, I dropped it because I want a set story with a resolution, not a game that drags on sapping my cash for no true completion.

If the series goes back to a console and they release a Phantasy Star V I'll make sure to get it.

Erdrick Holmes
05-04-2006, 11:20 PM
But it's true though. PS1 was released on the Sega Master System about 6 months before Dragon Warrior 1 on the NES. The PS2 and Final Fantasy 1 were released abotu a year later.

Dreddz
05-04-2006, 11:53 PM
A PSV would be awesome, we can only hope.
Wasnt there some sort of remake made for one of the early titles ?

dirkdirden
05-05-2006, 12:07 AM
But it's true though. PS1 was released on the Sega Master System about 6 months before Dragon Warrior 1 on the NES. The PS2 and Final Fantasy 1 were released abotu a year later.

Yep I was about 6 when I bought it.

Phantasy star does rule all, and It's not underrated its just forgoten. When Phantasy star came out was got a TON praise. PS2 won best game of the year from Game pro. PS3 was too different from the first two so i did the worst out of all 4. Phantasy star 4 brought it back to old school with Rune beeing Noah, and Mayu in the cave, and the music rocked in all 4 games.

Now that Sega stoped makeing systems the series acctually has a chance for a comeback on other systems.

Erdrick Holmes
05-05-2006, 03:54 AM
1. Noah NEVER existed. Noah was the name they gave him in the American version, it's the same guy in PS2 called Lutz.

2. There was supposed to be a PS2 release of the PS Trilogy with all three games on one disc. (PS1, 2, and 4) since these are the only three games tied together.

*Puts on PS geek hat*

Here's the order the PS games took place in

PS1>PS Universe>PS Gaiden (a Gamegear game we never got to see in america)>PSII>PS Adventure (a gamegear Text adventure)>PS Online>PSIII>PSIV

PS. I'm starting a PSO clan for the PC version, if you wann ge hooked up with the PC version PM me and I'll help you out. My clan needs officers.

dirkdirden
05-05-2006, 04:29 AM
yeah I would love to join your Clan, but I work two 40 hour jobs, Intel and the Encore..........no free time.

Haven't played a game on months.

Dreddz
05-05-2006, 06:11 PM
I'd like to join, but I cant seem to find anywhere to download the PC version :(

Hayabusa
05-05-2006, 06:48 PM
you can't respect a game fully if you play it out of it's time..............Just like playing ff7 was SO much better in 1997 then it is today.

Don't agree and......don't agree.

PSIV was definatly the best and my favorite :) - I have the cartridge :)

Captain Maxx Power
05-05-2006, 07:06 PM
Play PS4 instead, it's by far the best of the series.

Alex151
05-06-2006, 01:31 AM
Yeah Phantasy Star IV was my favorite, only one I've actually played through and beat though, the others I couldnt get into as well.

Dreddz
05-06-2006, 02:40 AM
Ive changed my mind, PSII was the best, just started a new game.

Erdrick Holmes
05-06-2006, 02:41 AM
Little known fact. Anna from 2 is an ansestor to Alys, Odin from PS1 is Rudo's (PS2) great (insert the word great a whole bunch of times) grandfather.

Edit: Dreddz, dude. Good luck on the new game is all I gotta say, PSII was so hard it took ten years of my life to beat.

bipper
05-06-2006, 04:53 AM
Well, the whole series is pretty damn solid. It does raise the enjoyability if you play them in order so you pick up on the little things through out the series.

The whole series is just freaking grand

dirkdirden
05-06-2006, 06:07 AM
Phantasy star 2 is the hardest by far. Leveling up is Key, and by key I mean you have to level up.....ALOT. HOURS and HOURS.

I have the big thick booklet that comes with the game. It has maps of all the dungens that helped me a lot. Without That it would have taken me way longer to pass.

Dreddz
05-06-2006, 10:29 AM
Edit: Dreddz, dude. Good luck on the new game is all I gotta say, PSII was so hard it took ten years of my life to beat.
I know, I beat it 2-3 years ago, places like the Dungeon of Ikuto made me pull my hair out !