PDA

View Full Version : Shadow of bad consumerism

Captain Maxx Power
05-05-2006, 03:34 PM
What follows ladies and gents is an epic tale. Gather round and I shall tell thee of a man, whom you all admire and wish you were more like...that's me by the way.

Anyways, a week or so ago I decided to try and pick up Shadow of the Colossus. Being the damn filthy student that I am I wanted to try and get it on the cheap from somewhere. My first port of call was to check the prices on Amazon, which showed up at about £27, including P&P. Not so hot, so I decided to shop around.

My first port of call was Virgin Megastore near Tottenham Court Road. Now this was at about fiveish. I'd just been in a draining production meeting and was crashing quite severely. So I was in a kind of daze. I managed to amble over to Virgin and drag myself upstairs. I found the box of the game, but not the game itself. It was sold out, but going for around thirty quid.

I decided to try this rather neat store where I usually pick up my games, namely CEX (Computer Games Exchange). I spent the better part of twenty minutes looking for it (they don't catagorise their games nor do they alphabetise them so well either). No copies to be found, so I ask at the front desk. They claim there's two copies. So another ten minutes of fruitless searching. I return to the desk and ask a different cashier. He theorises that the database is out of sync. So no love here.

The next day I decided to try down my local highstreet Finchley Road. The first place I tried was Sainsburys. Tescos back in Aycliffe was always surprisingly good and cheap for games, so why not Sainsburys? Well, it wasn't so great, because it wasn't there. Darn. So I tried a notoriously dodgy shop by the name of choices. The choice being you either pay through the nose for a game or get out of the shop. It was there, but for around £30. Ouchie. Distraught I plodded down the highstreet attempting to find places where it may be sold. I found my way to Woolworths, which was selling it for a staggering £35, the highest amount yet. A last ditch attempt at WHSmiths called up the regular price of £30.

So, with my pride dented and my patience broken, I decided to try eBay. However SotC is a pretty popular game, as I was outdone on my £20 self-imposed bidding limit on no less than five occasions. Without much else to hold onto I decided to swallow my pride and buy it off Amazon for £27.

Now that should be the end of it, except I accidentally put in the wrong billing address. So the game ended up at my address t'up north, about five hundred miles away. Thankfully our fine Postal Service doesn't take into account distance, but I did have to fork out two quid to my mum to send it back down. So now I was already up to the price I'd have paid in Choices et al.

But wait, there's more! Today I had to pick myself up a new power supply unit, so I decided to try in CEX. And guess what? Six, count 'em six, copies of SotC going for....£22. My spleen really hurts so bad.

So, what's been your worst cases of purchase ouchage, specifically about buying games.

Madame Adequate
05-05-2006, 04:18 PM
My CEX alphabetises...

Worst one for me would probably be when I bought The Increbile Hulk: Ultimate Destruction for £20, and then found it a week later for £7.

Dreddz
05-05-2006, 06:03 PM
Isnt the CEX like around the backstreets near Tottenham court road and Oxford street. Ive been there a few times, never bought anything from there though.
I got ripped of buying Alundra 2 one time, I wasnt so peeved as I loved the game.

Oh, and isnt Finchley Road near St Johns wood ?
Cause my Dentist is up there :D

Necronopticous
05-05-2006, 06:10 PM
Shadow of the Colossus will be worth the trouble.

Captain Maxx Power
05-05-2006, 07:05 PM
Oh, and isnt Finchley Road near St Johns wood ?
Cause my Dentist is up there :D

Yea, it's two stops down on the Jubilee. Well, one, since you can easily get off at Swiss Cottage and be at the bottom end. Finchley Road station, the one with the Metro line is the next stop along and is about half way up.

I Took the Red Pill
05-05-2006, 10:16 PM
When I ordered my Gamecube a while back off of "buyritegames.com", the infamous scam site that has now been shut down, of course I didn't know it wasn't a legit site when I ordered it. Anyway after about a week or so of not getting anything, I called them and they told me to be patient. 2 weeks... I start to get suspicious, do my research, and find a surprising amount of people that had been scammed by the site.

I wasn't going to let them win. I called them up and told them I knew they scammed me and that my Godfather was the attorney general of North Carolina (not true;) ), the state in which the company was allegedly based.

The Gamecube came a few days later, but the funny thing is that it was extremely obvious how they just went out and bought one from a third-party, because the site said the Gamecube they had were only available in purple, the one I got was black.

Elite Lord Sigma
05-06-2006, 12:30 AM
I haven't ran into a situation of this type, but I did find a rather fortunate situation...finding Paper Mario: TTYD for $20 when it sold for $50 at other places.

~SapphireStar~
05-06-2006, 08:02 PM
First 3 days of working at CEX they made me A-Z the PS2 games on my own. Jerks. Anyhoo, worst experince Ive had was buying Broken Sword 1 & 2 from Ebay for £42! Next day at work some old guy brings in Broken Sword 1 charity pack and it was £1 ... I was pissed.

Reine
05-07-2006, 03:46 PM
Shadow of the Colossus will be worth the trouble.

Indeed

I remember trading in lots of old games to get this rare pre owned game...a week later, a 20$ copy shows up in a shop nearby...I was so annoyed. I returned the expensive copy ($80) and got the $20 copy instead, and had $60 to spend

NeoCracker
05-07-2006, 03:52 PM
I paid twenty bucks for a new copy of X-2. I think thats about as bad as yoru experience.

RSL
05-07-2006, 04:16 PM
I paid twenty bucks for a new copy of X-2. I think thats about as bad as yoru experience.

What? I think it was 50 bucks when I bought it. 20 bucks is pretty cheap for a new game.

NeoCracker
05-07-2006, 04:18 PM
Yes, but it was long quite a long time after it was released.