PDA

View Full Version : The effect of Aura = ?

Peter_20
05-05-2006, 08:02 PM
What the hell does this magic do?
I've tried looking for more detailed info than "Red Aura" and whatnot (yay for unclear description :rolleyes2), and I can't find anything.
Not even in the game do you get any better info, it keeps going "X Aura" mode. :confused:

Captain Maxx Power
05-05-2006, 08:29 PM
I believe it adds various elemental damage types to your attacks, so if the enemy happens to be weak to that element you do added damage e.g. Ice elemental means you do more damage to enemies weak to Ice and so forth.

Peter_20
05-05-2006, 08:43 PM
I believe it adds various elemental damage types to your attacks, so if the enemy happens to be weak to that element you do added damage e.g. Ice elemental means you do more damage to enemies weak to Ice and so forth.Then would Red Aura mean added Fire damage?
If that's the case, then what's the matter with Orange Aura and that stuff?

This spell confuses me. :(:eek::cool::rolleyes2

DJZen
05-06-2006, 12:05 AM
It adds elemental properties to your regular attacks. Since there are 8 elements in the game, there are 8 different auras. The effect is cumulative, meaning that each new aura you get doesn't REPLACE the old one's effects, it just adds to them. After level 8 there's really no point in levelling it up. Here's a key to decipher the mystery:

White Aura = Ice element
Yellow Aura = Body element
Green Aura = Poison element
Black Aura = Death element (yes, death is an element. Don't ask.)
Blue Aura = Thunder element
Orange Aura = Mind element
Red Aura = Fire element (quite a bit of rigamarole for a simple flame attack!)
Dimension element

All growing magic relating to elemental properties (which is basically just Aura, Dispel and Barrier...) follows the same progression sequence.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-06-2006, 12:08 AM
Yeah (http://www.eyesonff.com/ff2/growingmagic.php).

DJZen
05-06-2006, 02:41 AM
That page lies.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-06-2006, 02:46 AM
Then submit a correction.

Captain Maxx Power
05-06-2006, 10:51 AM
You mean how my three pages of FF2 corrections weren't included? :mad:

Peter_20
05-06-2006, 12:47 PM
White Aura = Ice element
Yellow Aura = Body element
Green Aura = Poison element
Black Aura = Death element (yes, death is an element. Don't ask.)
Blue Aura = Thunder element
Orange Aura = Mind element
Red Aura = Fire element (quite a bit of rigamarole for a simple flame attack!)
Dimension element.Cool, thanks. :):heart:

btw, I think Death is similar to Shadow. :D

DJZen
05-07-2006, 04:36 AM
I guess you could say that. The only spell in the game that's Death element is Death. The odd thing is that no enemy in the entire game (including SoR) is weak to Death element, and a few actually absorb it.

Captain Maxx Power
05-07-2006, 11:10 AM
I guess you could say that. The only spell in the game that's Death element is Death. The odd thing is that no enemy in the entire game (including SoR) is weak to Death element, and a few actually absorb it.

I imagine since all four spells follow the same pattern they all looked up the same set of values to determined what they defend/enhance etc. So the fact that Death is included in Aura is purely NES limitations that has just spilled over into the remakes.

Reine
05-07-2006, 03:28 PM
So how would Aura work in the remakes? All it ever shows is purple

DJZen
05-07-2006, 04:53 PM
It works the same way in the remakes as far as I know (Maxx might know better than I).

Captain Maxx Power
05-07-2006, 10:33 PM
As far as I'm aware it does indeed work in the same manner in DoS as in the NES and Origins versions. However I will say that this is based on my own experiences with the games and any guides I've read on the subject. The unfortunate thing is that no one else seems to know what Aura does either. I haven't extensively tested Aura to see it's effects, it could actually have a different effect now, but it'd be hard to tell.

Reine
05-08-2006, 03:44 AM
EG: Dispel seems to have change in Origins, and it has in DoS to my knowledge.

In the original, it reduced their defences (Lifesaver against the Spiketoise) but in DoS it removes White Magic beneficial effects (It seems unable to remove Haste Aura and Berserk..)

Captain Maxx Power
05-08-2006, 11:27 AM
In the original, it reduced their defences (Lifesaver against the Spiketoise) but in DoS it removes White Magic beneficial effects (It seems unable to remove Haste Aura and Berserk..)

That's probably because all three of those are Black Magic spells, not White Magic spells.

DJZen
05-09-2006, 01:37 AM
And haste/slow has traditionally been something you can't remove via dispel/esuna.