PDA

View Full Version : Gentoo, lol

o_O
05-06-2006, 10:22 AM
Hi, this is kind of a dumb problem, and doesn't appear to be causing any large problems, but, I'm running 2006.0, with kernel release 2.6.15, a Nvidia 6600GT card, and I'm using the nvidia module (nv causes my screen to die).

I'm using Gensplash, I haven't compiled support into my kernel for it, and instead generated an initrd image for use with Grub. This means that my splash doesn't load until about three seconds into the boot process, during which time I'm forced to look at verbose output of the boot. This isn't a problem, in fact, my splash is a verbose splash.
The problem is, that every tty shell is displayed off-centre, so all of the output is displayed partially offscreen. This continues after boot, though I can fix it by booting into KDE and running anything which outputs into Konsole, like nano or man.

I'm almost certain it's my vga boot parameter that is causing it. I'm using "vga=0x31B" (795), which is the hex code for 1280x1024 res with 24 bit colour depth. In previous installations (of Morphix and Kubuntu), "vga=791" worked fine, though in Gentoo it's causing my X server to ignore the refresh rates in xorg.conf, and corrupting my screen with lots of lines.

It's just annoying, because I often don't bother starting X, and I have to do everything and see only half of it.
So Unne, what do I do? :p