PDA

View Full Version : Does the PS2 ruin TVs?

FallenAngel411
05-07-2006, 01:57 AM
Hey guys, I'd just like a second opinion on this. When I first got my PS2, I had it hooked up to one TV set for a while. After about a year, this TV's picture quality became scrambled and pretty much unviewable, which I attributed to its age--the set was almost eleven years old. So a few years ago, I bought a TV set solely for playing my PS2. Well, I've had it for about three years now, using it almost every day, and in the last few months the picture has been gradually losing quality and getting rather wavy...like lines swirling all over the screen. Which is pretty distracting. I thought for a while it was the connections, but I realize now it has nothing to do with wires--the screen is just messed up. And this time I can't say the TV is old. The coincidence is pretty uncanny, as both TVs I ever used my PS2 with have gotten messed up. I am now hesitating to buy the plasma I've been aiming for. So I was wondering if anyone else has had similar problems with long-term PS2 use on a single TV set, or has any thoughts to offer. I'm pretty sad right now. :(

Zeromus_X
05-07-2006, 02:34 AM
I dunno for sure. In the instruction booklets, it says to be careful when using a projection screen, but this is different...:cat:

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-07-2006, 02:53 AM
Using a TV every day for three years is bound to do something for the picture quality.

FallenAngel411
05-07-2006, 03:09 AM
So this is a thing that happens to all TVs after several years? :confused:

Meat Puppet
05-07-2006, 03:17 AM
So this is a thing that happens to all TVs after several years? :confused:

I've been using the same tv set for 3 years and it still works fine. I pretty much use it every day at least once all though there have been some exceptions.

nik0tine
05-07-2006, 03:33 AM
I've never noticed this happening on any of my TV's, and the TV in my house has been used almost every day for the past few years.

Ramza Beoulve
05-07-2006, 03:38 AM
I used the same tv for 3 years (specially 3 years ago, I think I didn't turn off the PS2 in two weeks playing GT3 with my brother, but it never was turned off and neither the tv) and it haven't damaged a bit, and now I'm using a old tv ( is older than me T.T ) and is working perfectly.

... Wow, until now I hadn't notice that my PS2 is a veteran and it haven't been damaged a bit until now, actually, it hadn't malfuntion in all this time... COOOOL...

FallenAngel411
05-07-2006, 03:39 AM
Maybe I just have a crappy TV then. Alright, I'm going for the plasma. :hyper: And if it gets ruined I'm sueing Meat Puppet.

Mo-Nercy
05-07-2006, 04:39 AM
The TV in my bedroom is mighty old, at least ten years. I use it everyday and the PS2's connected up permanently. I've never experienced any problems. In fact, the newer television set out in the living room is already going whereas mine continues to perform.

Ramza Beoulve
05-07-2006, 05:20 AM
Maybe I just have a crappy TV then. Alright, I'm going for the plasma. :hyper: And if it gets ruined I'm sueing Meat Puppet.n.nU save yourself Meat, looks like she will sue you for sure n.n

Markus. D
05-07-2006, 06:46 AM
it shouldnt, if its purplish on one side, move whatever electrical thing is next to it, like a subwoofer or something..

Ramza Beoulve
05-07-2006, 07:47 AM
it shouldnt, if its purplish on one side, move whatever electrical thing is next to it, like a subwoofer or something..
Or greendish... actually, check also all suspicius conections in your tv

fantasyjunkie
05-07-2006, 07:48 AM
nah, not at all. I've been playing video games for 20 years now and never had a system ruin a TV. Going through my 2nd ps2 now(first one wore out) and the TV is still good to go ;)

Dreddz
05-07-2006, 09:27 AM
Im clueless on this one, I dont think PS2's ruin TV's though, I had a TV for 8 years and used it daily, with a console hooked up to it and it still works fine.
Ive gotten a HD now, and it works fine on that as well. I reckon you've been getting your TV's from some dodgy place or something.

starseeker
05-07-2006, 09:39 AM
The TV that used to be connected to the PS2 in my house decided that its speakers were not a vital function. Using earphones meant sitting very close to screen and rarely being able to hear anything at top volume (especially when watching TV).

-N-
05-07-2006, 09:43 AM
Maybe your TVs suck.

RSL
05-07-2006, 03:03 PM
Sometimes you can get a lemon TV. It sucks, but it happens. I once had a TV crap out on my after little over a year of use. I don't think the PS2 can do anything to your TV that just watching TV wouldn't do.

XxSephirothxX
05-07-2006, 03:38 PM
I don't think a PS2 could mess up your TV. Be careful if you're using an LCD or a plasma (at least, I think it can occur with both) that you don't leave a static image on it for a long period of time, as you could gradually burn it into the screen.

Shiny
05-07-2006, 05:00 PM
I've been using my PS2 for a while now and nothing seems to be wrong with my TV in terms of the quality. However, my TV is not that old and it's a good brand (Magnavox).

Slothy
05-07-2006, 05:28 PM
What kind of TV do you have, and how much did you pay for it? Unfortunately, TV's just don't seem to last as long as they used to. My previous TV was almost as old as I was and finally crapped out a little over a year ago after almost 19 years of use. Nowadays, if you buy a low quality TV, you'll generally be lucky if you get more than a few years out of it. When it comes to this stuff, you do get what you pay for (or if you buy Sony, overpay for), so if you're going to buy some name you've never heard of on the cheap at Wal Mart, ya takes your chances.

Anyway, no it's not the PS2 ruining your TV. That'd be no more likely to ruin your TV than an Xbox, GC, SNES, or even just watching some TV shows. Unless of course you're prone to week long gaming sessions that go around the clock. If you use it a lot, it's bound to wear out.