PDA

View Full Version : PS2's DVD Playback

Erdrick Holmes
05-07-2006, 06:42 AM
My PS2 is the only DVD player in my room (the other DVD player is in my living room). I heard that if you play too many DVD movies on a PS2 it will ruin it, is this true?

Dreddz
05-07-2006, 09:22 AM
Dont think so, after use of any CD or DVD,m it'll start to break.

TheAbominatrix
05-07-2006, 09:49 AM
I've used my PS2 as my sole DVD player for the 3 or more years Ive owned it and it still works perfectly.

Slothy
05-07-2006, 12:06 PM
I've had my PS2 since launch, and at that time it was the only DVD player in the house, and is still the only one I use. Works perfectly. Playing DVD movies on it isn't going to do anything that playing games wouldn't. It's a load of crap. Just don't play anything with it standing vertically (assuming you have the non-slimline version) and you'll be fine.

Little Blue
05-07-2006, 02:01 PM
Sorry if this sounds noobish, but why shouldn't it be vertical? I've had mine standing vertically (mainly because I have no room for my PS2 to be horizontal) for the three or four years I've had it and it seems fine to me...

RSL
05-07-2006, 03:02 PM
Other than my computer, my PS2 is the only DVD player I have. It still works like the day I got it.

Agent Proto
05-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Whoever told you that is stupid. My PS2 is my only working DVD player in my house, and it works fine..

Lost Number
05-07-2006, 04:29 PM
Only problem is, the PS2 sucks. The sound on mines is abysmal when playing DVDs.

Slothy
05-07-2006, 05:19 PM
Sorry if this sounds noobish, but why shouldn't it be vertical? I've had mine standing vertically (mainly because I have no room for my PS2 to be horizontal) for the three or four years I've had it and it seems fine to me...

It's fairly common for discs to get scratched when the PS2 is setup vertically. It's something Sony has even admitted to, and seemed to be a pretty common problem. If it hasn't caused you any trouble then I'd say you've been pretty lucky. Laying it vertically is perfectly safe, but if you want/have to keep it vertical, then you takes your chances.

And Lost Number, are you sure it's not just your TV or a bum cable, or possibly audio settings on your TV? My PS2 has amazing sound quality on my TV with movies and games. I've seen plenty of TV's that were the problem when it comes to poor sound quality. Generally they're low end single speaker crap boxes.

Vyk
05-07-2006, 05:24 PM
Its just a myth, because of a large stream of coincidenses. People's PS2s were breaking down. They'd watched DVDs with it. They just assumed. But those PS2s that broke down were going to break anyway. Mine did. The lense got disjolted from regular use. I accidently knocked it over one day and it coincidently re-aligned the laser and it's worked fine ever since. And it's my sole DVD player. In fact that's pretty much all I use it for anymore as I'm not as much of a gamer as I used to be. And it's been like this for a good year or more. Works fine. If your PS2 breaks. Its not because you mistreated it.

MecaKane
05-07-2006, 06:54 PM
The PS2 will only break if it's being used to play a 2D animated movie.