PDA

View Full Version : Technical Advice For 360 Running Wireless

admat97
05-07-2006, 04:57 PM
Okay...I am thoroughly frustrated!

I am running FFXI on 360. I am running wireless/household network through adapter.

I have not been able to play for more than 5-10 minutes at a time because of timeout/interuptions. The keyboard system in-game is way too confusing for me. I try to type a question to other characters and they run away before I have a chance to finish typing. So...I purchased a wireless keyboard (Logitech diNOVA) and tried to set it up last night. Now I need to figure out how to get the game to recognize the keyboard. The instructions for the keyboard do not say that you have to install the software. Do I need to configure through the software? Also does the headset work with this game?

I have read about creating Macros. I don't understand how I am supposed to do this. Should I just sell my copy of FFXI for 360 and buy a PC version?

This is so frustrating! I have been trying to play since April 27th (between server maintenance and typing it has been maddening) and I have gotten nowhere.

I bought my 360 and backordered FFXI at the same time for the sole purpose of playing this game.

I know this sounds confusing and disjointed but I really need help. PLEASE HELP!!!

P.S. please excuse any spelling errors

Yeargdribble
05-07-2006, 06:42 PM
I don't really think your problems are specifically Xbox360 related. Aside from that I have a friend that switched from PC to 360. He was extremely underwhelmed at the 360s performance. I'd say PC offers a lot more versatility and will probably let you experience the game in a fuller way. If you are used to playing computer games I'd say spring for the PC version. A lot of people that are console onry types really hate sitting in front of a computer to play games and think it feels unnatural and for that reason prefer PS2/360.

Headset does not work with the game and you basically cannot play without a keyboard. You could but you wouldn't want to. If you play on the PC version people set up voice chat servers sometimes so playing on PC you might be able to use a PC headset and talking with your LS group.

I'm not really sure what your question is about macros. Tell me what job you are playing and I'll give you some basics on how to write macros.

chionos
05-07-2006, 06:53 PM
when you initially configure ffxi should have option to configure the specific keyboard. Try going through the setup menus w/ ffxi disk. For ps2 i think there's an option in the main playonline viewer menu, but i'm not sure how it would be for 360.
and when you say you can't play for 5-10 minutes w/out being interrupted do you mean that it kicks you off the game, you disconnect? Because that would be a problem w/ your router. I had to go through a series of annoying steps configuring my router for dsl before it would work correctly. For PS2 I had to set up specific ports to allow ffxi packets through, probably something along the same lines needs to be done for 360.
Good luck getting it working man, sorry you're going through all the troubles, but don't give up, it's an incredible game.

admat97
05-07-2006, 07:50 PM
Thanks guys and/or girls:)

I have played FF's on PSone/PS2 but you did not need a keyboard for them and I am not a computer game player. I would love to get my keyboard working. I just don't know how to do the setup. Plus, it's a wireless keyboard and the keyboard has not light on it to confirm that the signal is going through the wireless.

I guess I should just get a 25ft ethernet cable. Maybe that will stop the disconnects. I have my 360 running through my surround sound system into a 42" plasma. It's really sweet and I really don't want to move anything if I can help it.

I have started as a Hume warrior (Annilea). But that means nothing to me since I don't know what I am doing anyway. I read that you can enter code (macros) so that it doesn't take as long to give commands. Is macros what they're called?

Chionos...I have verizon dsl. Should I call them to help with configuration? I don't have a problem with my laptop wireless disconnecting from my router. The router is connected to my desktop.

Anyway, now that I have already installed the FFXI program, can I still access setup to config keyboard.

Forgive me for sounding stupid. I appreciate the reply's so far!

admat97
05-08-2006, 02:47 PM
I am really excited! I got my keyboard working and I stayed connected for a while last night. I cycled my router and modem before I turned the game on and didn't turn my computer on!

Now I just need to program the keyboard to do commands so I can be less clumsy during the game. A great player (Daimen) helped me get started. I don't know where he is from but he is an excellent person :)

Thanks so much everyone who tried to help! Now if someone could tell me how to program macros I will be on my way to competence!

Yeargdribble
05-08-2006, 06:39 PM
WARNING: I cannot wrap things in < >s so I will write them as <*> instead..... an example would be <*me> Just omit the *s

It would be easier to assist you with macros if I knew what job your were leveling.

There are really 3 main parts of a basic macro.

What type of ability it is comes first:

/ja (Job Ability)
/ma (Magic)
/ws (Weaponskill)
/item (Items)

There are more but they aren't important to you right now.

Next is the 'body' of the macro. This is the actually name of the ability/item you are using and will always been in quotes. Here are a few examples

"Provoke"
"Utsusemi: Ichi"
"Cure II"
"Aero"

These will be in a list under the category of the first part. Provke is a Job Ability and will be under the Job Ability section. This will make it easy to pair them up when writing macros.

The 3rd part is the target part. Here are some examples:

<*t> (Target... whatever your arrow is currently targeting)
<*me> (Yourself)
<*st> (Select Target... allows you to select a target after you hit the macro)
<*stnpc> (Select Target NPC... same as above but doesn't target other players)

So let's say you want to set a Provoke macro.

/ja "Provoke" <*t>

You will most likely use this for tanking and if you are locked on your target as you should be you'll 'voke' it. A nice variation that I find useful is...

/ja "Provoke" <*stnpc>

I'm sure Omecle has used this especially in something like Dynamis. If you will need to voke something other than the target you are locked on this will allow for that.

You won't use items often enough to really need any /item macros but here are some examples that I might use.

/item "Ginger Cookie" <*me>
/item "Yagudo Drink" <*me>

These are good in situations where you don't wanna traverse your lists.

/item "Hatchet" <*t>

This will allow you to use any Hatchets in your inventory to log at a "Logging Point" without having to select it from your menu.

Let me know what job you're thinking of playing and I'll give you some more detailed stuff that might pertain to your job. For instance, /recast is especially useful for mages. Also /equip changes are quite useful but there's no need to go into the details now as it'll just be too much to absorb so let me know what job you'll be playing ^^

admat97
05-08-2006, 11:16 PM
WARNING: I cannot wrap things in < >s so I will write them as <*> instead..... an example would be <*me> Just omit the *s

It would be easier to assist you with macros if I knew what job your were leveling.

^^

Thanks again... I will keep a copy of this. Honestly, I don't understand this whole thing yet. All I know is that I am a Hume Warrior. I have accepted several small jobs (mainly delivery) which I have not completed yet. I am afraid to tell the NPC's no when they ask. So you see, I am ignorant (or naive :)) at this point

Yeargdribble
05-09-2006, 12:35 AM
Oh l.o.l. I feel like a noob. I must've missed that last time I read it.

Well most important for you us that Provoke macro (You get Provoke at 5). Other than that some things that may or may not make your life easier are things like

/attack

That's all you have to put and it will attack what you have targeted. If I didn't mention it... if you don't put a target it will use <*t> as a default and will use the macro on whatever you target.

Another is <*bt> that can be useful. This will do the action on the current Battle Target which is red. This can be useful in parties later. If you want to do something to the mob that has been pulled and want to be able to do it before spamming around trying to target you can put that in your macro. I often on tank jobs would have a /ja "Provoke" <*bt> macro as well as an <*stnpc> macro. This just makes you able to provoke faster which will make your PT happier.

Also if you want to target the Battle Target and not necessarily do anything to it you can use /target <*bt>

As I read about your progress I'll try to throw out more of this but I think that pretty much covers the important stuff for WAR.