PDA

View Full Version : My Other works...

DragonTU84
05-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Since I am dedicating a thread to my characters, I will now dedicate this page to either non-digital or other digital works that are not character-related. For my first post, I am going to post a recent work I did for my Life Drawing Class...

WARNING for minor nudity though, for younger viewers or those who can't handle it!

This is in a way a self-portrait as well...

Comments and crits welcome!

http://myspace-705.vo.llnwd.net/00704/50/70/704720705_l.jpg

~Crystal~

DragonTU84
05-10-2006, 03:11 PM
No Comments so far?? Well, I will go ahead and post another work, again with nudity involved, so don't look if you can't handle it! :p

Title: Anorexia
Date: Dec. 2005
Media: Oil on canvas
Size: 28" x 40"

http://myspace-075.vo.llnwd.net/00719/57/07/719357075_l.jpg

Meat Puppet
05-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Those are beautiful. The anorexia one kind of gives me a weird feeling in my stomach. Sorry I don't have any criticism for you, only comment. Good work! :up:

DragonTU84
05-11-2006, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the comments, Meat Puppet! :) Yeah, well I wanted to create an emotionally-stirring piece for the Anorexia one. I submitted it to an art show they had on my campus that was called "Body Image," and they particularly focused on eating disorders, so I wanted a good image for the exhibit. I was trying to go with the psychological effects a woman goes through when anorexic, such as the misperception of being "fat," when she in reality is on the brinks of death from being so excessively thin. Didn't win any awards or anything, but it was still fun painting it and submitting it! :)

Still open to comments and crits, BTW!

~Crystal~

Psychotic
05-11-2006, 10:25 PM
I'm not an art expert, so I can't give criticism, but I think both of those are great. If you aimed to create emotionally-stirring pieces, then all I can say is mission accomplished.

DragonTU84
05-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Thanx Psychotic! I truly appreciate your comments/compliments! :) Hopefully I can post more soon...I plan on doing a piece sometime that is not so "horrific" as these last two images, more "romantic," I guess you could say! :) When I get it done, I will post it too! :)

Moon Rabbits
05-14-2006, 06:19 AM
You've got a gift.

I like the first one better, but both are stirring and nicely done. The second one has a sort of surrealistic feel to it.

Ya Boy Alex
05-14-2006, 06:41 AM
You've got a gift.

I like the first one better, but both are stirring and nicely done. The second one has a sort of surrealistic feel to it.

IceAngel
05-14-2006, 09:36 AM
Wow! This is some dark artwork. I quite like them though. The Anorexia would have got a prize from me if I were a judge. It could really hit home for someone suffering with Anorexia.
I did like your first one. Detail is quite good :). What was the main theme for the first one (if you don't mind me asking)?

Chaos
05-14-2006, 12:03 PM
Those are pretty powerful images.
First, the anorexia one - I feel thats the better one of the two, although the proportions are not perfect it does have a strong feel to it...its unsettling in the extreme. The way you depicted the spine makes me kinda shiver - but I'm not a fan of stickie outie bones at the best of times. But yes, you approached the theme in a fairly literal way but this serves to strengthen the message I feel. :) Nice. Well....no, not nice...but you know what I mean. Heh.

To be honest with you, I don't like the first one. You clearly have excellent life drawing skills, your proportions are accurate and gosh darnit, you can draw feet and hands. So kudos for that. The thing I feel lets it down is the blood - I'm assuming its blood here, correct me if I'm wrong. It just doesn't look right, no way near liquid enough. To be honest, I feel it cheapens it, too much angst. I feel there are better ways of portraying negative emotions. Maybe you should concentrate on brushstrokes/pen strokes, contrasts in shading and attempting to create a tangible sense of atmosphere through your drawing, rather than relying on external wounds? I dunno, its just my opinion.
Having said that, I would like to see a plain life drawing from you, just a straight up study, because as I said, you do have great life drawing skill. :) Huzzah!

DragonTU84
05-15-2006, 06:43 AM
You've got a gift.

Thanks for the compliments, Aisle_S! It is much appreciated! :) Yeah, the latter is a little surreal in some aspects, but I did it to create a more drastic effect, and my teacher thought it helped to enhance the piece.

Wow! This is some dark artwork. I quite like them though. The Anorexia would have got a prize from me if I were a judge. It could really hit home for someone suffering with Anorexia.
I did like your first one. Detail is quite good . What was the main theme for the first one (if you don't mind me asking)

Thanks for the compliment on the Anorexia one! :) Lol, I wish it won a prize! Yet most of the winners earned their prizes, let me assure you (except for some I could not see how they won)! Well, the initial idea of this image was infliction combined with "mapping of the body, so I thought an infliction of wounds made in blood showing the map of MD (the state where I live), yet at the same time she is slowly "mending herself," while in the meantime the stitches are making up the roads in which I travel the most in MD...kind of a mirror also into my life and past. I think the inflictions/cuts represent my constant struggles in life, such as the struggles to be "beautiful" and having to be criticized most of my life...now that I have "made it," I am slowly "Stitching up the wounds of my past" in a way, I guess. I think that was what initially inspired me to create this piece, and mixing it with the idea of "mapping of the body" (the requirement for my class's project), I kinda came up with this!

To be honest with you, I don't like the first one. You clearly have excellent life drawing skills, your proportions are accurate and gosh darnit, you can draw feet and hands. So kudos for that. The thing I feel lets it down is the blood - I'm assuming its blood here, correct me if I'm wrong. It just doesn't look right, no way near liquid enough. To be honest, I feel it cheapens it, too much angst. I feel there are better ways of portraying negative emotions. Maybe you should concentrate on brushstrokes/pen strokes, contrasts in shading and attempting to create a tangible sense of atmosphere through your drawing, rather than relying on external wounds? I dunno, its just my opinion.
Having said that, I would like to see a plain life drawing from you, just a straight up study, because as I said, you do have great life drawing skill. Huzzah!

Thanks for the crit! Yeah, I probably could've done the blood a little differently. Well I wanted to make the blood visually stimulating, and I did not know how to accurately render blood on a cut body without somehow oddly finding pics for it! :P

As for the blood, it is kind of what I wanted...read above for my comment to IceAngel's comments on my pic! True, there are "other means I could have shown struggle and recuperation," yet this is what I wanted...which all is part of my piece. I wouldn't change it, unless I could fix the blood in any way. I am open to advice or suggestion on the blood, yet erasure of the blood will probably be difficult without re-doing the whole piece. :-\

Also, I will def. sometime post a figure study for you. Don't have any "nice finished" pieces as this one, as most of my "figure studies" from my class are quick, material-limited, and the like.

Hope I've answered everyone's questions! :)

~Crystal~

FSolaHalo
05-15-2006, 06:53 AM
those pics r really deep

Chaos
05-16-2006, 10:32 PM
Also, I will def. sometime post a figure study for you. Don't have any "nice finished" pieces as this one, as most of my "figure studies" from my class are quick, material-limited, and the like.

Hope I've answered everyone's questions! :)

~Crystal~

Quick limited material studies are often better than long drawn out studies. They are quicker and therefore free up your drawing far more. Do you have any blind or semi-blind contour drawing to show? That would be pretty cool.

:)

Rocket Edge
05-17-2006, 02:23 PM
Really nice stuff, quite a differant approach to what you do, which is cool. like the second one best, has a mysterious feel to it, kinda spooky.
Some things arent correct in it, perspectively, but i think it suits your artistic style. like to see more of this, keep it up ;)