PDA

View Full Version : The sound of Virus

Evastio
05-08-2006, 10:28 PM
I remember back when I was really young the first time I heard the sound effect of the spell Virus I was terrified. :eek: The sound it made made the spell seem a lot more dangerous than it really was. I didn't like the spell until I figured out my characters could cast it as well. (It took me a while to figure it out) I remember going on a rampage casting that spell on every enemy I encountered just because the sound effect of Virus was so cool. :D

Until FFIV Advance came out. :( I don't like how the sound effect (and the name) of Virus has been changed. I missed the high pitched screech the spell made.

Anyone have the same opinion as me?

Captain Maxx Power
05-09-2006, 12:08 AM
That's just different sound chips in action there. The sounds are essentially the same, but because SNES sound =/= GBA sound, there's a marked difference.

By the way if we're talking sweet sounds, how awesome was the sound of Link's sword when it shot a projectile in Legend of Zelda for the NES?

Evastio
05-09-2006, 12:41 AM
That's just different sound chips in action there. The sounds are essentially the same, but because SNES sound =/= GBA sound, there's a marked difference.

By the way if we're talking sweet sounds, how awesome was the sound of Link's sword when it shot a projectile in Legend of Zelda for the NES?
The SNES Virus sound effect sounded way more dangerous (and way more cooler) than the GBA Bio sound effect though. Don't you agree with me? :confused:

I didn't really like that sound effect much. Then again, I don't like Zelda games much.

Necronopticous
05-09-2006, 12:44 AM
Man it's so weird that you mention that, I was really obsessed with that sound of that spell as a kid too. I had completely forgotten about it because I thought I was crazy. There is something...appealing about it.

It's all like "BennennaanaaaNAAWOU"

Tempest
05-09-2006, 01:14 AM
Man it's so weird that you mention that, I was really obsessed with that sound of that spell as a kid too.
Me too. :p

I noticed the change too and like the old version much better. While on the topic of strange sounds, does anyone like the sound the Serpent Road made when traveling from Baron and Mysdia? I always thought that was the creepiest sound ever.

Evastio
05-09-2006, 01:17 AM
While on the topic of strange sounds, does anyone like the sound the Serpent Road made when traveling from Baron and Mysdia?
I like that sound too. I still like the sound of Virus better though.

Crossblades
05-09-2006, 02:44 PM
Yeah, I enjoyed the virus sound as well. But the Bio sound is good too

Necronopticous
05-09-2006, 09:02 PM
Bio and Virus are the same spell, it just depends on which translation you're talking about.

Crossblades
05-09-2006, 10:07 PM
Bio and Virus are the same spell, it just depends on which translation you're talking about.

Were you talking to me?

If so, then yeah, I know they are same spell. I'm just saying I enjoyed the virus sound when I played the SNES version

eestlinc
05-13-2006, 03:12 AM
yea virus and meteo had some great sound effects.

FallenAngel411
05-13-2006, 04:58 AM
[While on the topic of strange sounds, does anyone like the sound the Serpent Road made when traveling from Baron and Mysdia? I always thought that was the creepiest sound ever.

I was absolutely fasinated by that sound when I first heard it. I took the trip about six times just to listen to it. There is something strange and compelling about it. :3

Zeromus_X
05-13-2006, 05:34 AM

Oh yes, I remember that, and Meteo's FX. Such fond memories...

Damn GBA's different sound chips. And the PS1 remake has weird FX too. :cat::mad:

Sephex
05-14-2006, 09:42 PM
Man it's so weird that you mention that, I was really obsessed with that sound of that spell as a kid too. I had completely forgotten about it because I thought I was crazy. There is something...appealing about it.

That last part made me laugh. That's a pretty acurate way to describe that.

And I agree with the rest of your post. I was also drawn to that sound when I was a kid too. I thought I was the only one that like it too!

crono_logical
05-14-2006, 10:30 PM
I think this sound effect belongs in the classic sound effects box along with other great ones like Kefka's laugh from SNES FF6 :p

-N-
05-14-2006, 11:21 PM
I agree with everything in this thread. "BennennaanaaaNAAWOU"

Slothy
05-15-2006, 02:37 AM
The fact that I remember off the top of my head what Virus sounded like shows it was a cool sound effect. I wouldn't have the same recollection for most sound effects played in games, that's for sure. It was definitely something special, and damn cool.

Behemoth
07-19-2006, 05:21 PM
I always loved the virus sound! Funny how a lot of other folks here had similar 'childhood experiences' with this sound effect that I did. It sounds so vile and hideous!

I was even considering incorporating that sound into my death metal band... all a guitarist needs is a whammy pedal and a phaser and you can reproduce the virus sound effect very well.

starboyK
12-09-2007, 12:14 AM
Virus was one of those spells that took us by surprise and made us who we are. I know the sound was awesome, but the way the spell looked made it even more awesome. I mean, up to that point in our gaming lives, when had we seen a bunch of flashing green, screeching, oblong circle-like things completely surround your party member. No doubts, it was awesome. Awesome enough for a bunch of us old school kids to enjoy it in retrospect over the emergence of Sin et alia.

Takara
12-09-2007, 05:59 AM
"BennennaanaaaNAAWOU", indeed! That was my favourite spell, along with Meteo. Just for the sound effects.

The sound effect when Rydia was summoning and those green orbs floated around her was awesome, too.

Lawr
12-09-2007, 06:55 AM
I LOVED that sound effect! I also liked how Excalibur sounded in the older version.

Jowy
12-09-2007, 12:00 PM
I liked the Flare spell too because it sounded kinda like popcorn.

While we're at it, the most disappointing part of FFVI Advance was that Ultima didn't make the cool "hummmmmmmmmmmwooshKACHING" anymore :aimcry:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-16-2007, 11:23 PM
Old thread. Sadness.