PDA

View Full Version : PSP - is it worth the 200 bones?

pyro psychosis
05-08-2006, 10:51 PM
i've wanted a PSP for a long time. today when i get payed i just might go out and grab me one. but first i'd like to know...
1.) are there any good games? if so, what?
2.) just what all can it do?
3.) is it worth the $200?
~feedback much appreciated

Sephex
05-08-2006, 11:17 PM
I say it STARTING to become worth it if you are into it game-wise. I will let someone else say all the other crap it can do. I got mine as a gift, so I guess try to do that if you don't want to spend the money.

Shoden
05-08-2006, 11:24 PM
It's worth it alright. Some of the games are addictive, abusing the mp3 and video option is my habbit though. Hehehehehehehe....

Carmilla
05-08-2006, 11:26 PM
I say no.

If you want it for music and mp3's than get an iPod.
If you want it for internet its not that good.
If you want it for movies just get a portable dvd player since most companies are cancelling production on umd's due to poor sales.
If you want it for games get a DS. There is absolutely no comparison what so ever in good games between the PSP and DS. The DS is blowing it away.

And im no Nintendo fanboy as i think the PS2 > Gamecube. :mog:

The PSP does a lot of things ok but none that really stand out. Its a 'jack of all trades' machine and an expensive battery powered paper weight.

~SapphireStar~
05-08-2006, 11:58 PM
Mine was £100, so yeah it was worth it! There are some decent games out there for it, BoF3, Darkstalkers, Lemmings. GTA, Tales of Eternia, and tons of others. Im a Sony fangirl, so I was going to purchase one sooner or later.

I would never use it for travel cause Id been terrified of getting it nicked. But I use it for when I visit my family and have bugger all to do. It depends on what you would use it for, games, music or video. Ive used it for all 3.

ZeZipster
05-09-2006, 12:10 AM
I'd save up for the PS3, it's gonna be costly. But it's also looking pretty awesome.

Dreddz
05-09-2006, 12:11 AM
IMO, yes. The hours ive put into my PSP more then make up for the price tag.

Lakenbelle
05-09-2006, 12:12 AM
I'd say no. Like Carmilla said, the DS has a great library and it'll only be getting better. It's getting huge support from Square, as E3 revealed! The PSP, though... it has such a crappy game library. If you aren't emulating PS1 games or SNES, there's no reason to get it for games alone.

Griff
05-09-2006, 12:13 AM
i've wanted a PSP for a long time. today when i get payed i just might go out and grab me one. but first i'd like to know...
1.) are there any good games? if so, what?
2.) just what all can it do?
3.) is it worth the $200?
~feedback much appreciated
1) to add on to the previous list given, there is also WWE:SvR'06, Burnout, Death Jr. Pursuit Force, Daxter, the Con, and Legend of Heroes to name a few
2) It is essentially an MP3 player, portable DVD player, and handheld in one.
3) Yes

~SapphireStar~
05-09-2006, 12:16 AM
Legend of Heroes to name a few
Forgot to mention that, theres also a sequel on the way. And PoPoLoCrois is fun too.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
05-09-2006, 12:20 AM
I say no.

If you want it for movies just get a portable dvd player since most companies are cancelling production on umd's due to poor sales.
If you want it for games get a DS. There is absolutely no comparison what so ever in good games between the PSP and DS. The DS is blowing it away.

The PSP does a lot of things ok but none that really stand out. Its a 'jack of all trades' machine and an expensive battery powered paper weight.
agreed

Meat Puppet
05-09-2006, 12:25 AM
If I had known Liberty City Stories would get ported to PS2 I would never have bought one. Man, why do I never think about things like that? :irked:

Rengori
05-09-2006, 02:27 AM
If I had known Liberty City Stories would get ported to PS2 I would never have bought one. Man, why do I never think about things like that? :irked:
You're you.

No, the PSP is absolutely not worth it. You can get a DS and have $100 left over for other games.

dirkdirden
05-09-2006, 05:18 AM
best looking paper weight I ever bought.

I have a DS that is used and with my M3 it is way better than PSP.

Google M3 DS if you don't know what it is.

Ramza Beoulve
05-09-2006, 05:38 AM
I say no.

Is like to say... Is the Red Mage of the Handhelds! n.n, but I don't really care, if I can find one in this little city, I'll buy it! n.n, I really like Red Mages :p

Ya Boy Alex
05-09-2006, 06:02 AM
All the reasons why you should get it.

Zeromus_X
05-09-2006, 06:09 AM
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth! :cat:

Well, not everyone will be excited about that, so...

Rengori
05-09-2006, 10:16 PM
All the reasons why you should get it.Most of the time, people forget how much memory sticks cost.

NeoCracker
05-09-2006, 10:28 PM
PSP sucks and it they seem to where out faster than DS. Plus Emulating on a comp us nicer, but thats just me.

Rengori
05-09-2006, 10:36 PM
Oh yeah, those things break real easily.

Ya Boy Alex
05-11-2006, 12:55 AM
All the reasons why you should get it.Most of the time, people forget how much memory sticks cost.
Meh 35 on Amazon for a 256 mem. stick isn't that bad.

I Took the Red Pill
05-11-2006, 01:15 AM
DS > PSP

The DS has had a history (albeit short) of solid games, while the PSP has had only a small handful of anything great.

Sephex
05-11-2006, 01:17 AM
Yeah, if it is the DS vs the PSP, I would go for the DS for the record. I like both handhelds, but I just like the DS more.

TheKolkster
05-11-2006, 01:26 AM

Yeah Right... The PSX has way better games than the Nintendo DS.

Sephex
05-11-2006, 01:42 AM

Uh, yeah. Shut up. We are talking about handhelds.

Elite Lord Sigma
05-12-2006, 03:38 AM

...And since when did we start getting last-gen consoles involved?

In my opinion, the DS trumps the PSP. Most of the PSP's games are really crappily done ports of PS2 games. No games have really caught my interest.

Tidus Andronicus
05-12-2006, 04:34 AM
I wouldn't suggest paying $200 for the PSP... wait a while for it to go down, cost wize. But hey at least the games are getting better!

If you want my opinion, I'd suggest waiting a month or whatever, for the DS Light. Even if u dont buy the DS light, you might see a price drop on the normal DS ^_~ and thats good enough to still have a lot of fun, in the portable department.

Ichimonji
05-13-2006, 05:47 PM
I'll be buying a PSP for solely: Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, Crisis Core, and Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops. You can't get those on the DS, can you? And the music thing will be a bonus since I don't have an iPod.

Mirage
05-14-2006, 11:26 AM
I'll see how the PS1 games downloading works first. If it's great, I might get one. I'd never get it for the games alone, except Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth <3.

BlackWaltz
05-14-2006, 11:42 AM
Get a psp, trust me, there are amazing. Its worth getting one for liberty city stories alone. Vice city stories at the end of the year? yes please.

Also Wipeout pure is the best value for money game on the system. if you have a big enough memory stick there is sooooo much extra content on the website to download, making it 10x more the game you bought which was great anyway.

Also, wi-fi play on the psp is awesome, especially liberty and pro evo 5. I use mine for watching umd movies, downloading music, voewing pics etc etc etc. Also when the ps3 comes out, the psp is going to be in its full use.

2 words...........GET ONE!