PDA

View Full Version : what's really so bad about exams?

Denmark
05-09-2006, 01:00 AM
every year around this time I always hear people complaining about upcoming exams they have to take (and i usually join in). after finishing my last exam today, i looked back on the string of exams and figured they weren't really all that bad.

so. opinions on your upcoming/already finished exams. any comments relating to the topic at all.

rubah
05-09-2006, 01:05 AM
I rather like exams on the whole. Sometimes they can seriously . . .affect your grade in a negative way, but that usually isn't the case with me.

(pst, I don't have to take second semester tests hopefully. so it's easy for me to say that. ask again in december)

Roto13
05-09-2006, 01:08 AM
I actually like exams. I'm good at taking tests, and I get to stay home after they're all done.

Really, test taking gives me a high. After my Environmental Science exam in high school, someone asked me who my teacher was, and I couldn't remember his name. That wouldn't have been so bad, if he wasn't my uncle.

Levian
05-09-2006, 01:09 AM
Tests that decide the rest of your life, or at least the next three years, is hardly a nice thing imho. :cool:

Dixie
05-09-2006, 01:31 AM
Gah. Final exams...All subjects. I lurve tests and all, but I hate finals. >_<

Rye
05-09-2006, 01:41 AM
Tests that decide the rest of your life, or at least the next three years, is hardly a nice thing imho. :cool:

Yes.

I personally don't stress out too much about tests, but the SATS scare me to death.

Raistlin
05-09-2006, 01:49 AM
Exams just suck, period. Though I just got my worst exam out of the way, so the rest shouldn't be too bad.

Faris
05-09-2006, 01:59 AM
I don't have a problem with exams, I like them.

kikimm
05-09-2006, 02:11 AM
They're boring. I hate the way that they're administered. I just don't like it so...structured or something. Although I know there aren't a whole lot of options when it comes to different ways of taking tests. ;P

Plus I am not all that smart and tests just remind me of this and it gets me depressed and stressed and blegh. No thanks.

Psychotic
05-09-2006, 02:24 AM
Failing?

rubah
05-09-2006, 02:54 AM
the only tests that have gotten to me were the ACT, which made my neck hurt after sitting at a tiny table for four hours, and the ASVAB, which was administered ridiculously (armed services vocational something battery).

They freaked out because I didn't give them their piece of scratch paper back immediately. I mean they seriously freaked out.

"No one is leaving this room until we get that paper"

"wtp:O it's right here x.x'

I wanted to keep it because we were drawing on it or something or I wrote something on it, so I had put it surreptiously under the booklet, so it was easy to pass off like the guys hadn't seen it to pick up at least ^_^

Roto13
05-09-2006, 03:00 AM
I took the Canadian Test of Basic Skills in grade 8 or something. I scored highest in my class, and my class got the highest average in the country.

Anaisa
05-09-2006, 03:32 AM
I've never disliked tests. I've always welcomed them as an opportunity to annoy people with my lack of studying, yet high test marks.

Mr. Graves
05-09-2006, 03:33 AM
If they're multiple-choice, then they're ok. If it's essay/exact answer question, then they're not so ok.

-N-
05-09-2006, 05:44 AM
Failing?Never heard of it.

Shlup
05-09-2006, 06:29 AM
I like exams. Makes me feel like I've actually done something, rather than just sleep through lecture.

black orb
05-09-2006, 06:49 AM
>>> I hated exams.. In fact I have been delaying my final exam at college for years. But they will not let me do it anymore so I`ll have to take it in the next couple of months.. x_x

Rase
05-09-2006, 07:00 AM
I just had three big exams in three days (two Advanced Placement Tests and the SAT Reasoning test), and I was so wiped after it was all finished. I don't mind exams if they aren't so long though.

Rusty
05-09-2006, 08:31 AM
My first exams are coming up in June and I'm scared of them. I should pass just fine. But it's a huge, huge deal.

Miriel
05-09-2006, 08:52 AM
Very rarely have I gone through exam season and thought, "hey that wasn't so bad."

Most of the time, my thinking is, "Uhg, SO GLAD IT'S OVER."

The worst thing about exams is that you're studying for a whole bunch of tests at the same time. One test right on top of another, it's enough to make you go a little insane.

~SapphireStar~
05-09-2006, 01:43 PM
Ive never liked exams, Ive got one tommorow and another on Friday. Ive barely revisied for both cause Ive felt unmotivated lately. I use to believe lifes too short for exams, but I guess I should be happy cause Ive managed to get into Uni, even though Im in the process of transferring.

Shaun
05-09-2006, 01:45 PM
The bad part is the fear of failure (well, next to actually failing). The fear of failure may be higher or lower depending on who you are, or it may not exist at all. But that's the root problem.

Loony BoB
05-09-2006, 01:51 PM
Speaking from a non-American perspective: If you struggle to pass, then I can understand some kind of problems, I suppose. But really, so long as you pass, you're just fine. And even if you don't pass them all, so long as during your final year of high school you get a decent overall grading then you should be able to get into a decent enough job.

I say "non-American perspective" as scholastic achievements tend to be overly-important in America. From what I've heard, I'd struggle to get a decent job over there, but over here I've done just fine. I never failed an exam, but I honestly don't think my exam results had much to do with getting to where I am today. I got here by working hard in my part time jobs, knowing how to type fast (with good grammar, spelling, etc) and having an interest in my field.

Chris
05-09-2006, 03:38 PM
I don't mind them, but since I'm done with school I won't have to worry about it anymore.

Jess
05-09-2006, 04:03 PM
The fact that if I fail them then I won't be able to go to college. :p

My exams start next week (or the week after) and continue until the end of June. I need to pass pretty much all of them, and get atleast a B in a couple to get into the college course that I want to do.

DeathKnight
05-09-2006, 04:03 PM
there are some exams which are retarted. Well I wouldn't say such a thing if teachers just STOPPED giving homework, goddamn! :irked:

what's the point of giving homeworks...............................if you're gonna give a test???

Itsunari 2000
05-09-2006, 04:32 PM
I've no problem with them.

Heero Yuy NWZC
05-09-2006, 04:36 PM
I just don't like them because you're in one place taking one thing that lasts an hour or so and I hate that. The exam is ok, it's how long it is that pisses me off. I hate staying in one place doing the one thing for a long period of time...besides playing video games, watching anime, and being online.

Yuna-Lenne
05-09-2006, 04:51 PM
I actually enjoy exams, time off lessons. I just don't like revising for weeks before...nor the added pressure when your parents keep nagging you and saying you need to get several grade As :|

Heero Yuy NWZC
05-09-2006, 04:53 PM
I hear ya there. :cool:

Cz
05-09-2006, 05:07 PM
I don't mind the exams themselves, but I wish I didn't have to take them all at the same time. Having to cram an entire year's worth of knowledge into my head for the sake of two weeks' worth of tests isn't the way I like doing things. That's why my GCSE grades sucked. :D

project X
05-09-2006, 05:10 PM
For two months, I studied every day for the ACTs. I was excited to take them cause I wanted to see if the studying would pay off. So I guess if you really study for them, it's different.

Shaun
05-09-2006, 05:12 PM
I guess you're right. But not every person can study like that. Like I said, it all comes down to who you are.

Raistlin
05-09-2006, 05:13 PM
I guess you're right. But not every person can study like that. Like I said, it all comes down to who you are.
Everyone <i>can</i> study like that. Just not everyone wants to. Like me.

project X
05-09-2006, 05:18 PM
Everyone <i>can</i> study like that. Just not everyone wants to. Like me.
If I didn't have someone pushing me to do it, I wouldn't have done it either. @_@

Captain Maxx Power
05-09-2006, 07:15 PM
Exams get to me on a psychological level more than anything else. I tend to get wound up when I'm forced to go to places where I'm asked to be, so to be made to go somewhere and forced to stay there with the knowledge that a screw-up could ruin my life...well, it's just too much for me to handle. I come out the other side a nervous wreck.

Zeldy
05-09-2006, 07:21 PM
The reason you think nothing of exams is because you're on the other side of them.

I had my exams last week, and I do feel much better now that they are done and out of the way for a few months. (Teachers are already on about Mock GCSE's :p )

Mokoto
05-09-2006, 07:31 PM
I honestly dont have a problem with exams but that its mainly because i have study leave and i dont study, so i have free time. :)

Omnislash07
05-09-2006, 10:48 PM
exams arent that big of a deal, just long tests. i did find it funny though how when it came time to take the ACT exams all my classmates were like freaking out and trying to take study classes and practice tests. I didnt study for it or anything and got a 29 out of 36 which puts me in the top 10% of the country.

course i generally just find school work pretty easy so i dont really worry about exams or tests, if i got an exam or test it just means i cant sleep through that class.

XxSephirothxX
05-09-2006, 11:11 PM
The only reason I dislike exams is the stress. Plus I always procrastinate, so I'm not always as prepared as I would like to be come test day.

Jess
05-09-2006, 11:16 PM
I don't mind the exams themselves, but I wish I didn't have to take them all at the same time. Having to cram an entire year's worth of knowledge into my head for the sake of two weeks' worth of tests isn't the way I like doing things. That's why my GCSE grades sucked. :D
I totally agree with you there. In the subjects that I took that were modular, that had little exams every couple of months -- I found those a lot less stressful, and the chances are I probably did a lot better in those subjects than my upcoming exams. :tongue:

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
05-10-2006, 12:52 AM
final exams suck because its the one exam where you cant make up for in assignments n all

but it usually depends on how prepared you are really! Its a hate/love thing for me lol!

-hate that feeling when ur walking in the exam room and waiting to start
-love that feeling when its over
-hate the feeling of getting the results back
-love the feeling of passing it

Denmark
05-10-2006, 08:54 PM
I've never disliked tests. I've always welcomed them as an opportunity to annoy people with my lack of studying, yet high test marks.

you too? sweet.

Mo-Nercy
05-12-2006, 04:22 PM
I'm so screwed this semester. :cry: