PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Controller

BatChao
05-09-2006, 02:46 AM
I wasn't sure to add this in the PS3 thread or the Wii thread since it kinda involves both. That's why it's its own thread. Go ahead and move it if it needs to be moved. Anyway...

I dunno if any of you have been watching the Sony press conference, but it looks like Sony just ripped off Nintendo big time. They've added a motion sensor into the PS3 controller. This is way too much to just cough up as 'coincidence'. I mean... Nintendo reveals their controller, then later, Sony says their 'boomerang' controller wasn't really final and then they show up with this new controller (basically a Dual Shock II with the added movement functionality)? I dunno what to say... I've never really hated a company before, but right now I really hate Sony.

Cid
05-09-2006, 02:52 AM
I thought that was pretty messed up when I read that... here's a picture (http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/tsupersonic/?action=view&current=gr.jpg)

Lakenbelle
05-09-2006, 02:57 AM
That's just kind of.. rude of Sony.

nik0tine
05-09-2006, 02:58 AM
I don't understand.. What's wrong with that? If another company has something that could potentially blow you out of the water I, too, would steal their ideas. Nothing wrong with that. It's called competition.

Hawkeye
05-09-2006, 03:05 AM
It's the lack of originality criticized by the fans. Economically, smart. Faithful to the fans, dumb.

Cid
05-09-2006, 03:08 AM
Something strange: In the picture I posted above, there are 4 led lights indicating which controller you're using... I thought PS3 supported 7 controllers?

LunarWeaver
05-09-2006, 03:08 AM
They ripped off their analog stick, why not?

This is just what I wanted actually... PS3 sexyness with Wii goods. Final Fantasy sword-wielding with style now, you all dig.

Poor Nintendo... Everybody rips them off ^_^;

MecaKane
05-09-2006, 03:10 AM
Where's the lazer/led thing in that picture? Is this fake?

Cid
05-09-2006, 03:21 AM
At first I was a little pissed that they stole from Nintendo, but oh well. I'm happy that the two console I'll be purchasing have motion sensing abilities. This really leaves Xbox 360 in the dark...

Carmilla
05-09-2006, 03:40 AM
Nintendo has had their controllers ripped off since the SNES.

The SNES first had shoulder buttons. Than the Genesis did.
The N64 had the analog. Than the Playstation did.
The rumble pack got stolen also.
Than the wavebird, the first one to do a wireless in-house controller right.

Nothing new here. :choc2:

-N-
05-09-2006, 04:15 AM
Who gives a flaming sh!t if Sony ripped off of poor Nintendo's ideas? I definitely don't. I want a fscking badass controller and Sony delivered. Even if it's not as sensitive as the Wii's controller will be, it's competition, as nik said. Simple as that. Now I'm going to buy it, thank you very much.

FallenAngel411
05-09-2006, 04:25 AM
Well, this sensor thing was bound to become widespread at some point. Why not immediately? Think of it as an evolution of the gaming industry as a whole, rather than just of Nintendo. Eventually, gamers are the ones who benefit from this competition.

Cid
05-09-2006, 04:40 AM
The PS3 controller has no vibration function.

http://www.pro-g.co.uk/news/09-05-2006-2756.html

FallenAngel411
05-09-2006, 04:50 AM
Cheap bastards! How can they charge us so much and take that away? :mad2:

-N-
05-09-2006, 04:53 AM
Well that sucks. What is the immersion lawsuit mentioned there?

Lakenbelle
05-09-2006, 05:01 AM
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h249/kitaeren/c0bf7b969af1100e7ba316581015.jpg

lol, but to be honest, no, the PS3 hasn't stolen Nintendo's motion sensor. It's merely a simple tilt in the new PS3 controller. It can't do any of the things the Wiimote can.

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/705/705870p1.html
E3 2006: Seeing The Difference.
Wiimote vs. PS3-mote. Did Sony just steal a revolution?

May 8, 2006 - Just minutes ago, Sony made the announcement that its controllers would support tilt sensitivity and showed off the feature with a live demo of Warhawk. While this is a bit of a surprise, it also is to be expected in the grand scheme of gaming. Nintendo has been an innovator from the very beginning, and the best compliment is imitation. Of course, it's a little different when that imitation could put you out of business, right? Although PlayStation 3's and Wii's controllers may share some of the same technology, don't go counting Nintendo out just yet. There are some key differences between the controllers, and between what PS3 and Wii can do with the technology. Let's break it down.

We've known for over a year now that the Wii's input device is what makes it special. The Wiimote (as we've come accustomed to calling it), has the ability to point at any television with pixel-perfect control. In addition, it also can move in three dimensional space, meaning that if a player wants to punch an enemy in the face, they can by simply moving the controller forward. To add to the control, the nunchuck unit can team along with the Wiimote, giving tilt functionality to any game, as well as an analog joystick.

Luckily, Sony's technology isn't quite the same. Here's why:

The technology inside Sony's controller is a basic tilting accelerometer device. In a sense, that's the same style of control as the left hand of the Wii combination. Think of the technology as true 3D movement vs. basic tilt. The Wiimote will sense all pointing, motion and a new dimension of control, while the PS3 controller will expand only on the specific tilt functions. To make this a bit simpler to wrap your heads around, we've put it all in FAQ form below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this technology the same?
No. In fact, the best way to imagine it is to relate the Sony PS3 controller to the left-hand Wii controller; dubbed nunchuck. In short, you would not be able to play a game like Metroid Prime in the same way using the PS3 controller.

What is the difference for developers?
Simply put, it's tilt vs. motion sensing. Monkey Ball for Wii and PS3 would essentially be the same, since it's only using the tilt ability of the controller. On the other hand, a 3D tennis game or sword fighting game with swing control elements is impossible for the PS3 hardware, as it requires full motion sensing technology.

Why doesn't it need a sensor bar?
Since the technology is based solely off the tilt ability, it is self-contained. Keep in mind that the sensor bar is used for the point and click ability of the Wii functions. It doesn't need the bar, since it doesn't use that technology. The same applies to the Wii nunchuck. It can function without a sensor bar.

What type of gameplay styles will work on the PS3 controller?
Here are a few examples: Kirby's Tilt 'n Tumble (which featured tilt control on the Game Boy Color), Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam, racing games (using the tilt to rotate), flight sims, Monkey Ball, fishing (flick the tilt controller).

What type of things won't work on the PS3 controller?
The following actions can't be done on the PS3 controller with the same precision: Throwing/Catching a ball at a specific spot shown on screen, swinging a sword in 3D space and performing stabbing motions, aiming a weapon light-gun-style, swinging a racket, punching, general 3D item interaction, 3D drum simulator, swatting an "on-screen" fly, performing two separate tilt/motion functions at the same time.

In short, Nintendo fans still have a ton to look forward to. Will Wii have what it takes to give the world a true gaming revolution? We'll see you tomorrow morning at Nintendo's E3 conference.

BatChao
05-09-2006, 05:55 AM
Yea... I guess it isn't an exact duplicate... which is good. I mean, the fact that PS3's controller has this additional feature doesn't really bother me... it's that this was obviously tacked on at the last minute to try and combat Wii. It's just so... I dunno... lame? It's like if you had a really neat idea for a presentation at school or something, and then when you go up and present it, the kid after you does a rushjob and just copies you. It's annoying!

Anyway... is anyone else bothered by the fact that the controller looks EXACTLY the same as Dual Shock 1/2? I mean... the controller isn't BAD, but I've always had issues with the it. First and foremost is the placement of the left analog stick. I mean... come on! It's time to place the analog stick where the D-pad is since that's the natural place your your thumb rests. I think at the very least, they coulda switched the D-pad and left analog. Other things that bother me are the build of the analog sticks (get a little sweat on them and all friction between your thumb and stick is lost) and the fact that there are no triggers. I think triggers are pretty important in games now... the shoulder buttons are analog sensitive, I know... but really... it's easier to halfway press a trigger than to lightly (and slowly) press down a button.

As for vibration...man, that sucks that it's not there! Maybe it has something to do with that lawsuit that was filed against them.

Yamaneko
05-09-2006, 06:06 AM
I believe this motion sensor business in the PS3 controller will be more of a gimmick for developers, much like the touch screen is for the DS. This is in contrast to the Wiimote that will primarily use the motion sensor for all of its games.

Necronopticous
05-09-2006, 07:14 AM
I am really happy that they decided to keep the Dual-Shock design, in my opinion it is the best controller design ever created. The vibration getting cut is really a shame, though. I thought all they had to do was invent a new device to make the controller vibrate...ah well.

DeathKnight
05-09-2006, 12:03 PM
Man, this time SONY has gone way TOO low, copying Nintendo's controller and stuff.

And I liked the Boomerang controller, it looked DIFFERENT, more next-gen.........I'm just tired of the same look..............*sigh* oh well.:eep:

NeoCracker
05-09-2006, 12:10 PM
Everytime Nintedo has an Idea stolen the ones who stole it never did as good. The wireless nintedo control was by far the best, and the 64 analog stick was nicer than the dual shock. Plus nintedo gamecube had teh best controler to date. Plus I love Lakens controler.

KentaRawr!
05-10-2006, 10:32 PM
It seems to be either an idea inspired by the Wiimote, or just a cheap and attempt at stealing Wiimote fans. Either way, it's still a big wonder on how tilting a controller and pressing buttons will work together.

Dreddz
05-10-2006, 10:49 PM
It isnt such a rip off the Wii controller IMO, they are still very different.
From what Ive heard, the controller is a hit, obviously care has been put into the controller, and it should make games alot more enjoyable.

Erdrick Holmes
05-10-2006, 11:08 PM
Rather than improving on the piss poor PS2 controller they just take the same out, put triggers, gave it wireless functions, and tilt. This would be the perfect controller if the dpad were an actual Dpad. My thumbs are already hiding.

Raistlin
05-10-2006, 11:23 PM
Rather than improving on the piss poor PS2 controller they just take the same out, put triggers, gave it wireless functions, and tilt. This would be the perfect controller if the dpad were an actual Dpad. My thumbs are already hiding.
What? The Dualshock 2 was pretty comfortable in my hands. And how often do you even need to use the D-pad?

The people saying "OMG SONY STOLE FROM NINTENDO THEY SUCK" really make me sad. I was starting to type out a whole rant about that stupidity, but it's not worth it.

Behold the Void
05-10-2006, 11:24 PM
I don't really fault Sony for picking up on the idea, and I was a bit wary of the boomerang, so I'm not terribly disappointed. I enjoy the PS2 controller, and am already very used to it. If nothing else, it will cut down the time spent getting accustomed to the newer games.

DeathKnight
05-10-2006, 11:26 PM
What? The Dualshock 2 was pretty comfortable in my hands. And how often do you even need to use the D-pad?

The people saying "OMG SONY STOLE FROM NINTENDO THEY SUCK" really make me sad. I was starting to type out a whole rant about that stupidity, but it's not worth it.

"stupidity" hmm interesting. It's just so sad that SONY can't do anything but copy, don't get me wrong I love PlayStation1,2, and 3 to death but stealing EVERYTHING Nintendo makes is sad.

I don't really fault Sony for picking up on the idea, and I was a bit wary of the boomerang, so I'm not terribly disappointed. I enjoy the PS2 controller, and am already very used to it. If nothing else, it will cut down the time spent getting accustomed to the newer games.

The buttons are the SAME...........................................................

Raistlin
05-10-2006, 11:31 PM
"stupidity" hmm interesting. It's just so sad that SONY can't do anything but copy, don't get me wrong I love PlayStation1,2, and 3 to death but stealing EVERYTHING Nintendo makes is sad.
The Wii's new controller has two analogs next to each other, just like the Dualshock. Does that mean Nintendo stole that from Sony?

Saying that Sony steals concepts from Nintendo is retarded. Say a game is made with dragons, the first game ever made with a dragon that can fly around (this is a hypothetical situation - I know there's a game like that :p) and it's a huge hit. Guess what? Other game companies are going to start looking into flying games like that. Did they steal? No, they simply responded to a demand. Sony, I assume, looked around and saw that there may be a demand for motion sensors like that, so utilized it in a MUCH different way than Nintendo is. That is, assuming that Sony hasn't been planning this for a long ass time - remember, Nintendo announced the Wii controller way early and Sony's just recently announced its controller.

Cz
05-10-2006, 11:31 PM
Ignoring the petty squabbling about Sony "ripping off" Nintendo, I'm glad that the pad design has stayed the same. The boomerang was a perfect example of change for its own sake, and to return to the familiar design is a good decision, since it's an excellent (if not perfect) layout that needn't be altered unless it can be improved upon.

Erdrick Holmes
05-10-2006, 11:34 PM

I use the dpad for everything but First Person Shooters. Action games like Resident Evil or Contra, or fighting games like Virtua Fighter or Guilty Gear. The way the dpad is set to be just seperate buttons lifted above the serface if you move your thumb alot on the dpad with games like that you'll end up either getting blisters or sores on your thumb. I got huge CALLUSES on my left thumb from that.

Shoden
05-11-2006, 12:01 AM
At least you can hold this control pad. The wii pad is basically a rectangle with buttons. How the hell is someone with hands like mine supposed to find comfort holding that?

The dualshock is alot easier to hold and more confortable. I would of liked the boomerang pad too, anyone reckon that'll be released anyway?

Venom
05-11-2006, 12:04 AM
Nintendo sucks, sony have better everything

KentaRawr!
05-11-2006, 12:55 AM
At least you can hold this control pad. The wii pad is basically a rectangle with buttons. How the hell is someone with hands like mine supposed to find comfort holding that?

o_o The wii controller is a remote. If you can't grab a remote with 1 hand, I am very surprised. Of course, I don't know what your hands are like, so I can't really say anything on that matter. :(

Agent Proto
05-11-2006, 01:07 AM

Says Venom who had Fire Emblem related sig/av at one point, which is a Nintendo game.

Elite Lord Sigma
05-11-2006, 01:15 AM

Oh, really? Prove it.

Anyway, past all the "OMG SONY STOLE FROM NINTENDO AGAIN!!!1!11!!", I think Sony needs to get some originality. I mean, can't you at least make something different instead of the same old crap over and over again?

Venom
05-11-2006, 01:51 AM

Says Venom who had Fire Emblem related sig/av at one point, which is a Nintendo game.

I have no idea what you are talking about.:shifty:

Erdrick Holmes
05-11-2006, 01:52 AM
At least the big N's US department aren't graphics whores.

nik0tine
05-11-2006, 05:52 AM

I use the dpad for everything but First Person Shooters. Action games like Resident Evil or Contra, or fighting games like Virtua Fighter or Guilty Gear. The way the dpad is set to be just seperate buttons lifted above the serface if you move your thumb alot on the dpad with games like that you'll end up either getting blisters or sores on your thumb. I got huge CALLUSES on my left thumb from that.
How much time do you have to spend on video games to get a freaking blister? Life must really suck.

Shlup
05-11-2006, 06:21 AM
A motion sensor in the controller is the logical next step technologically from previous controllers. I'm very reluctant to accuse Sony of ripping off the idea.

How much time do you have to spend on video games to get a freaking blister? Life must really suck.
It's likely the way he holds the controller more than how long he plays. I've gone through absolute gaming fits, and BJ's brother has long gaming sessions regularly, and neither of us have ever gotten blisters. I'm assuming the blisters have more to do with Joel's big oaf nature than time spent.

Maxico
05-11-2006, 01:58 PM
Why do people keep on insisting that Nintendo was the first to introduce Analog, wireless controllers or touchscreens when it's simply not true?

As for the controller I think that the motion sensing feature is a coverup. Sony offically says that they cannot implement the rumble feature because it would interfere with the gyroscope, which seems a little too convenient to me.

Shoden
05-11-2006, 04:21 PM
from my middle finger tip to my wrist it's about 26CM, if it's going to be a normal rectangular shape with no actual grip handles, then no way.

I would of loved the original PS3 controller, WOMD!!!!!! It would of been very comfortable for almost anyone. Who cares if the idea is similar to nintendo's, this one thing on it doesn't mean they stole everything. It's not even 100% exactly the same anyway.

DeathKnight
05-11-2006, 04:25 PM
Why do people keep on insisting that Nintendo was the first to introduce Analog, wireless controllers or touchscreens when it's simply not true?

As for the controller I think that the motion sensing feature is a coverup. Sony offically says that they cannot implement the rumble feature because it would interfere with the gyroscope, which seems a little too convenient to me.

in HOMES my friend in HOMES (at a larger scale). PCs may have had all these features, but when it comes to REAL GAMING systems, Nintendo was the first to introduce MOST of them. :irked:

Shoden
05-11-2006, 04:27 PM
Wrong, it wasn't nintendo or sony or microsoft, it was some other company. I've heard this before sometime.

DeathKnight
05-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Wrong, it wasn't nintendo or sony or microsoft, it was some other company. I've heard this before sometime.

a company which NO ONE knows about. I'm talking 'bout REAL GAMING companies, dammit:eep:

MecaKane
05-11-2006, 04:31 PM
So Nintendo ripped off small companies.
And Sony ripped off Nintendo.
God damn that Sony!

Shoden
05-11-2006, 04:32 PM
It's business, your idea is bound to be taken and copied, even morphed sooner or later. Keeping it to yourself is like being spoilt. Sony may have gotten it from the small companies too, who knows.

Alive-Cat
05-11-2006, 04:47 PM
Magnavox Odyssey was the first video game system ever created, created by Ralph Baer and two other guys. And had nothing to do with Nintendo.
(I think this is the very first.)

Shoden
05-11-2006, 04:51 PM

a company which NO ONE knows about. I'm talking 'bout REAL GAMING companies, dammit:eep:

are you illiterate or something?

There are loads of gaming and other similar companies who do that type of stuff. The point is that nintendo didn't invent it, they stole it too, so your well loved, innocent nintendo are just as bad as sony's supposed acts.

Agent Proto
05-11-2006, 05:12 PM
Every gaming company steals from another.

"Sony stole from Nintendo."
"Nintendo stole from Sony."
"Microsoft stole from Apple."

We get the fucking point. Why don't you move on to something different which won't lost any points for you. The thought that company A stole from company B is old and tired and doesn't win any points for your arguments. So what if Nintendo stole that idea, and vice versa. It helps with the gaming experience, does it not? That's all that matters, not whether if it was stolen or not.

dirkdirden
05-11-2006, 05:13 PM
The only reason sony has been successful so far is that they wait for everyone else to release there new stuff......They copy and improve what other companys and blow them out of the water.

nothing new PS1 copyed a ton from Sega Saturn, and PS2 copyed a TON from Dreamcast, and now the PS3 is copying Wii and 360.

And becuase they are copying all systems I am going to buy and PS3 and only a PS3 becuase it will have the same fetures as WII and 360 but slightly inproved.

Croyles
05-11-2006, 09:50 PM
The PS3 controller has no vibration function.

http://www.pro-g.co.uk/news/09-05-2006-2756.html

The vibration function has always been crap on any consoles anyway. OOOOHH wow i feel a slight rumbling sensation when i chop a person up. It doesnt really do anything to make it feel more realistic or exciting to me anyway so im happy. Makes the controller much lighter too.

Old Manus
05-11-2006, 10:11 PM
It's not like all consoles created after PS1 didn't copy the Sony controller to an extent.

KentaRawr!
05-11-2006, 10:22 PM
It's not like all consoles created after PS1 didn't copy the Sony controller to an extent.

But the PS1 Controller is like, the SNES controller! :O Of course, there's no rule against copying someone who copied someone. And I happen to like the Sony's version of the SNES controller, so I don't really think it's bad that Sony uses some tiny ideas from other companies. Because, after-all, they are good ideas. Except the tilting sensor one. That was stupid. :mad:

Old Manus
05-11-2006, 10:26 PM
I love you.

KentaRawr!
05-11-2006, 11:21 PM
:D Old Manus loves me!

Edit: I noticed that simply pointing out that Old Manus loves me would be spam, so I will add more comments of my opinionated amazingness. Personally, I am dissapointed that the new PS3 controller is just a plain old Dual Shock controller with a motion sensor and an extra button. At least make it silver! >=O

BatChao
05-12-2006, 07:57 AM
Bladen: Both the nunchaku and the remote of the Wii controller have a handle grip shape to them, so no worries. I was playing with it today and it felt really good.

I figured out a few days ago that the PS3 controller actually DOES have triggers... so I retract my statement about that being one of its pitfalls.

After a couple days, I'm feeling a lot better about the PS3 controller having a tilt sensor in it. I was just being rash and crazy when I first heard it since it came out of left field. Haha. I don't hate Sony. I was just kidding.

Alos, I am going to side with Joel that the Dual Shock D-pad is textured and set in a way that it feels less comfortable than the Xbox d-pad (the GCN +Control Pad was pretty much never used... and it totally sucked, so we don't need to bring that in). Because only little portions pop out of the shell for each direction, and because of the rough texture of it, if you are using it intensely (such as during a fighting game), it can really wear your skin down. It's not quite as bad as the Dreamcast's super-raised pad, but I think a traditional cross pad is better than the one on the Dual Shock.

Agent Proto
05-12-2006, 02:13 PM
http://ps3control.ytmnd.com/

xD

Anyway, just watching this made me realize that using the tilting sensors on the PS3 controller WILL make you look silly.

KentaRawr!
05-12-2006, 05:33 PM
I looked at a video of how the game is using the tilt sensor controller, and I suppose it is pretty cool. o.o However, I still think it may have been meant as a come-back to Nintendo's controller. Why would they have to point out that you DON'T put stuff on the TV? o_O

Tidus Andronicus
05-12-2006, 07:44 PM
I looked at a video of how the game is using the tilt sensor controller, and I suppose it is pretty cool. o.o However, I still think it may have been meant as a come-back to Nintendo's controller. Why would they have to point out that you DON'T put stuff on the TV? o_O
Yah I saw that part too... but the fact of the matter is, Sony is taking the sensor bar on the TV out of context. The sensor bar isn't for the motion/tilt detection, its for the pointing (lightgun/mouse), which the PS3 controller definantly doesn't have... XD

But thats Sony for you, they try to manipulate their consumer's understanding of the products, to their advantage.
At least I am no longer fooled by them, as I used to be.:rolleyes2