PDA

View Full Version : PS3 for 600 bucks?

Cid
05-09-2006, 02:49 AM
"And one more surprise ... the PS3 launch details. Two configs -- one with 20 gigs -- $499; One with 60 gigs -- $599."

Are you guys willing to dish out that kind of cash? I don't know...

nik0tine
05-09-2006, 02:50 AM
It's seriously going to be that expensive?

Well, it's cheaper than gas, I suppose.

Elite Lord Sigma
05-09-2006, 03:02 AM
"And one more surprise ... the PS3 launch details. Two configs -- one with 20 gigs -- $499; One with 60 gigs -- $599."

Have you got a link?

Cid
05-09-2006, 03:11 AM
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=64373
* at the very bottom
or

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/705/705838p1.html

XxSephirothxX
05-09-2006, 03:15 AM
I'd like to say I won't, but I'll probably find myself spending cash I should be using for college on a 60GB model on launch day. :p I guess it'll really come down to what games are available at first. If there aren't 2 or 3 games I really want, I might way and hope for a price drop within a year.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-09-2006, 03:16 AM
Wow, that seems almost suicidal. Oh well, I wasn't intending to get one for awhile anyway, I'll wait for the price to come down and the bugs to be worked out.

Madame Adequate
05-09-2006, 03:16 AM
As with Azar, it really depends on the games. Unless something incredibly uber comes along at release, I think I'll hold back and avoid the initial massive rush, as well as the inevitable bugs in the first batch.

DeathKnight
05-09-2006, 03:25 AM

I will! *looks forward to it*:D:up:

The 60Gig for me

darkchrono
05-09-2006, 03:26 AM
Would there be any reason to get the 60GB version. How much memory are they planning for these games to take up to where the 60GB would be a better deal than the 20GB deal.

LunarWeaver
05-09-2006, 03:28 AM
I could buy 400 games with 600 dollars >_< I don't need next-gen pretty that badly. Besides the PS2 breaks when you sneeze near it, the PS3 will probly catch my whole neighborhood on fire the first time I turn it on. Sony makes my favorite things, and yet they suck so much.

Cid
05-09-2006, 03:29 AM
I guess it's not that much to be upset about. 499 is the same price as the 20gb Xbox 360. We just have an option for a higher HD.

I don't really know the benefits of the bigger harddrive. I know games will utilize disk space for faster load times. And I know you can download games. How long will 20 gigs last?

DeathKnight
05-09-2006, 03:32 AM
I guess it's not that much to be upset about. 499 is the same price as the 20gb Xbox 360. We just have an option for a higher HD.

I don't really know the benefits of the bigger harddrive. I know games will utilize disk space for faster load times. And I know you can download games. How long will 20 gigs last?

It's good to see the creator of the site around:) :up:
And with so much knowledge too.

Yeah, the 60Gig one will give you better things, as you just said.

MecaKane
05-09-2006, 03:41 AM
There'll be capabilities to connect the PS3 to a PC, either via the PSP memory stick things or directly, or whatnot. So space might not be at that much of a premimum.

darkchrono
05-09-2006, 03:42 AM
Aside from the faster load times why would you need to store that much on it. Just delete games that you are not playing anymore or don't care to have around any longer.

Carmilla
05-09-2006, 03:53 AM
I will be getting a PS3 but not at launch.

After God of War 3, Devil May Cry 4, Metal Gear 4, Castlevania, Resident Evil 5, and Final Fantasy XIII are released i will pick it up.

Hopefully the price might go down by than and the bugs will be ironed out. :choc2:

And what about the games? $70 a pop? Ouchers!

kikimm
05-09-2006, 03:57 AM
I don't care, I'm not the one who's going to be spending the money to buy it anyways. ;P

But if it turns out that I WILL be the person who has to pay for it, then....I will wait. I already have too many games to play, I don't need yet another system for me to slack on. It'd have to drop to at least 300. Maybe I would go for 350, but yeah there had better be some game that I realy really want then.

Carmilla
05-09-2006, 04:06 AM
If Nintendo unveils the Wii at $300 this could get interesting.
The average parent might not want to buy a $400 Xbox or a $500 Playstation but $300 might look good to them.

If that happens the Nintendo will still remain the 'kiddy' system.
And the Xbox and PS3 will probably steer more towards the teens and adults with a price tag of half a thousand dollars w/o tax.

Though the shiniest, most powerful, and most expensive doesnt always win. Just ask the PSP. :cool:

-N-
05-09-2006, 04:12 AM
Good to see a thread already made about it. Here's another link I was following. http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/08/engadget-and-joystiqs-live-coverage-of-sonys-playstation-3-e3-ev/

I'm excited about the gyroscopic controller. I've used gyro-mice before and they are amazing. That controller alone may be the sole reason why I buy the PS3. The 20 GB version, of course. I don't need 60 GB. I'd shell out $500 for it, but I wouldn't be part of the initial rush to buy - I'd wait until the next summer.

Khaotic
05-09-2006, 04:13 AM
i'll wait until Final Fantasy XIII comes out, but god, the prices of things nowadays -_- no wonder I'm broke.

FallenAngel411
05-09-2006, 04:13 AM
What on earth is the advantage of 60 gig over 20? Will the games look prettier or something? Will the system crash easier?

TheAbominatrix
05-09-2006, 04:24 AM
As has been said, the extra 40 gigs will store more for those who need it and probably give one faster load times. I think it's very cool that Sony is giving us options. Most of is can get a 20 gig, those that need the space have the option, and I think that's just great.

I'll certainly be getting a PS3, just not anytime soon because of financial issues.

FallenAngel411
05-09-2006, 04:27 AM
Well in that case, I'll probably go for the 60 gig just to have the best. Of course, I'll need time to save up for that...plus the issue of debugging. I'll wait until the system is all fixed up before I spend money.

Tidus Andronicus
05-09-2006, 04:33 AM
The 20GB HDD version will retail for $499, and the 60GB HDD version will go for $599.

I would have preferred to see them release 2 packages like this:

1: <$450 = no HD and smaller HDD
2: $600 = HD with bigger HDD

Simple enough, take out the HD support, thus making the console cheaper for the 90% of people without HDTVs.
Then again, Sony's probably also trying to force HDTVs into homes sooner... =/ so yah... but it might hurt them if they try to force people to pay to much for what they dont need.

But as things stand, the only advantage to the $600 version, compared to the $500 version, is an extra 40GB HDD... O_o...
Does anyone else think that $100 extra for only 40GB extra is a little rediculious?
Sorry, but I bought a 200GB harddrive for $100 over a year ago.... XD

Cid
05-09-2006, 04:39 AM
Things keep getting worse. The 499 system doesn't have wireless internet or HDMI outputs.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/060509ae.pdf

Tidus Andronicus
05-09-2006, 04:49 AM
Things keep getting worse. The 499 system doesn't have wireless internet or HDMI outputs.

wait... your serious?

So not only are they ripping people off for 40 GBs... they're also taking out the HD support, and STILL charging $500...

I see, $500 gets us a basic system, no HD support, no wireless internet and small (but probably good enough) HDD.
But for paying an extra $100 you only get an extra 40GBs in the HDD, wireless internet, and HD support?
ok i guess 100$ extra for all that is nice... but the basic package is too expensive for all they took out!
Anyone else think the $500 package should be like $400? XD

Khaotic
05-09-2006, 05:25 AM

Simply for the blu-ray? Thats getting alittle ridiculous, but I guess I can't blame them.

Yamaneko
05-09-2006, 06:10 AM
It may be expensive, but this console is for working people, and Sony will be losing hundreds on each one. You want nextgen? You're going to have to pay for it. HDMI doesn't mean no HD support. Games will most likely not require HDMI to play at resolutions above 720p. This only means that certain movie studios, if they wish, will down-sample your Blu-ray content if you don't have HDMI.

edczxcvbnm
05-09-2006, 06:15 AM
That is too expensive for my rich ass. I also don't trust sony to put out a quality product for the first time. They have proven time and time again they can't manage to do that.

I am surprised at no HDMI support given the Blue-Ray. I could give a damn about WiFi in the system. I will not be going online with the Revolution because it does not have a hard line into it. I have a router and I am not upgradeing because they were to cheap to not put in a hard line connection.

Del Murder
05-09-2006, 06:15 AM
As has been said, the extra 40 gigs will store more for those who need it and probably give one faster load times. I think it's very cool that Sony is giving us options. Most of is can get a 20 gig, those that need the space have the option, and I think that's just great.

How will you know if you need the space?

Maybe I'll buy a GameCube instead.

Khaotic
05-09-2006, 06:19 AM
It may be expensive, but this console is for working people, and Sony will be losing hundreds on each one. You want nextgen? You're going to have to pay for it. HDMI doesn't mean no HD support. Games will most likely not require HDMI to play at resolutions above 720p. This only means that certain movie studios, if they wish, will down-sample your Blu-ray content if you don't have HDMI.
Even for working people nowadays(atleast in the USA) its hard to afford things, simply because of gas and taxes. Prices just keep going up for everything, yet paychecks don't. I also wasn't complaining, I was merely just stating the fact that these systems, though they're getting very powerful and quite amazing, are also getting very pricey, near the price of a computer.

Necronopticous
05-09-2006, 06:22 AM
This is exactly the price I've been predicting, I didn't think they would do a two package deal like Microsoft though, $599 is a bargain.

Yamaneko
05-09-2006, 06:23 AM
A computer of comparable hardware/specs would cost you over $2000. There comes a price where it no longer becomes financially feasable for Sony to sell their system. They're going to take a huge hit during the first year and expect to make money back through licensing costs and Blu-ray movie sales. Consumers expect bleeding-edge technology from Sony and they've delivered, but now people will have to pay for that.

TheAbominatrix
05-09-2006, 06:25 AM

How will you know if you need the space?

Maybe I'll buy a GameCube instead.
If you plan on using it, I suppose you'll know. People who're planning to emulate a lot of games will undoubtedly need it.

Also, I agree with Yams.

Khaotic
05-09-2006, 06:31 AM
A computer of comparable hardware/specs would cost you over $2000. There comes a price where it no longer becomes financially feasable for Sony to sell their system. They're going to take a huge hit during the first year and expect to make money back through licensing costs and Blu-ray movie sales. Consumers expect bleeding-edge technology from Sony and they've delivered, but now people will have to pay for that.
I realize that already, and once again, I wasn't complaining about the price. I said its ridiculous, but I don't blame them. Also, we're not talking about computers, though I did say we're nearing the prices of computers, comparing computer parts to a console system is different, which I'm sure you know. The thing is, they'll be making profits on their games, I can't say for sure, but I think they'll be above the average $50.00USD simply because of the blu-ray.

Raistlin
05-09-2006, 06:35 AM
I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that the prices will not increase because of blu-ray. My source could be faulty, though. Or I could be making /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif up and am just imagining I read it somewhere.

Yamaneko
05-09-2006, 06:38 AM
It's not unlikely that games will be $60. In fact EA has gone on record as stating that all their nextgen sports titles will retail at $60. I'm speculating that Sony will do something similar to Microsoft and suggest a retail price of $50 for games produced or published by Sony.

black orb
05-09-2006, 07:04 AM
>>> I dont need such monstrous console so no, I wont buy it.. even if it gets cheaper than that..

-N-
05-09-2006, 07:09 AM

Hey, this sounds a lot like the Xbox 360's release patterns.

Rase
05-09-2006, 07:15 AM
I can think of better ways to spend $500 or $600 then on a videogame system, regardless of which one it is. I'm way too thrifty to begin with, and I'd rather use that kind of money on something I'll use more often or something more practical.

However, I do think it's nice that they are giving people a choice of systems, like Microsoft did. Of course, everyone complained like no other when they did it...

Samuraid
05-09-2006, 07:39 AM
Well, seeing that the newest stand-alone Blu-ray players are all premiering at around $1000 USD, it seems reasonable to purchase a game system that also plays Blu-ray content for $500.

bipper
05-09-2006, 08:49 AM
I will finaly have the money to spend in my budget, so that is not an issue. On premise - no. I cannot justify paying that much for a system. I DON'T want to see the industry get split into high level and low level gaming. The industry is too unstable and pulled in too many directions as is. I don't care about what it can do, I care about the industry keeping its appeal, and not becoming over developed and over expensive. This is historically comparable to the crash of the early 80's

I see sony kicking themselves in the ass and a giant industry lesson being learned in the future.

Bipper

Maxico
05-09-2006, 09:50 PM
Well, seeing that the newest stand-alone Blu-ray players are all premiering at around $1000 USD, it seems reasonable to purchase a game system that also plays Blu-ray content for $500.

But I thought the entire point of watching movies on Blu-Ray was that it gave a High Definition image. If the core system isn't capable of Hi-Def output then it's kind of pointless.

Also I think that $500 is pretty reasonable considering that it has many expensive features that don't have a counterpart on the Xbox 360 (A blu-ray player primarily. However if the $500 version doesn't have wireless support I'm going to be waiting for the first price drop or so.

Also, I would like to point out that $600 converts to a little over £300. Which is what people in the UK have been paying for consoles for a long time.

Elite Lord Sigma
05-09-2006, 10:00 PM
Well, so much for getting a PS3. That price is just way out of my checkbook (or my parents' checkbook) right now. That price is so high, it almost seems like Sony is trying to put themselves into bankruptcy.

NeoCracker
05-09-2006, 10:01 PM
Well, seeing as how i'm a video game addict Ill probably be one of the idiots in the front line payings 600 for the thing.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-09-2006, 10:08 PM
Well, as was pointed out earlier the Xbox 360 was in the same ballpark. The full system is about as much as a normal PS3, as I recall. It will probably sell just fine.

Erdrick Holmes
05-09-2006, 10:31 PM
I'd rather get the cheaper model. Seeing as how so far the only reason to get one is for MGS4, Virtua Fighter 5, and possibly FFXIII. Since it's been stated the cheaper model won't have internet or HDMI inputs it's better for me since I don't plab on using it for internet gaming and I don't own a high def television.

Dreddz
05-09-2006, 10:33 PM
How can Americans complain, us in the EU, have to pay nearly £100 more than you. Geez....

XxSephirothxX
05-09-2006, 10:45 PM
From what I remember reading in the buzz of activity yesterday, Sony is launching their own online version of iTunes that also supports video download. The plan from their point of view is to make the PS3 your entertainment center, so the 60GB HDD will allow just that--theoretically, you can download hundreds of albums and maybe even whole movies or TV shows. I seriously doubt there will be any difference between the HDDs capabilities-wise; if developers can use a harddrive to decrease load times, it's not going to matter what size it is. Plus, if the PS3 is designed the same way the 360 is, only 12 of those 20 gigs will be usable. It's probably not going to work out that way, but I wouldn't be surprised if a few gigs are reserved for system processes, especially since there is no version of the console without a HDD. The core Xbox 360 is a joke, and the PS3 looks to be a little bit better, but those who really want to take full advantage of the system will spring for the better model.

Yamaneko
05-09-2006, 10:51 PM
Hi, can we stop saying that the base model will not support Hi-def? HDMI produces BETTER uncompressed video output at resolutions close to 1080i/p, however, component video (the cables you use to connect a 360 to a Hi-def TV) produces Hi-def video output up to 1080i/p just fine. Also, although around 25% of American households are slated to have HDTV sets by years end, only a small fraction of those HD owners have TVs that support 1080p. Most of us will be playing our PS3s at 720p or 1080i. The reason why HDMI is talked about is because it offeres content protection that the movie studios want. So, with the base model that lacks HDMI output, it is possible that when you watch a Blu-ray movie, that it will be artificially downgraded to 480p (DVD quality). Most people agree, though, that movie studios will not do this (at least not in the beginning) in order to gain an audience rather than to restrict one.

The PS3 base model will have Gigabit ethernet, but no Wifi. You can still go online with the base model. In fact it would be dumb to wirelessly stream content (especially HD quality demos/trailers) onto a PS3. It would lag like hell. Lack of Wifi is not a big deal.

Carmilla
05-09-2006, 10:54 PM
What im worried about is a 600 dollar system breaking down in 6 months. All those first PS2 and Xbox 360 stories have scared me. :eek:

Though to be honest, my PS1 and PS2 have worked perfectly as long as ive owned them but my NES (of course), Super NES, and Gameboy have all broken down and needed replacements. :mog:

MecaKane
05-09-2006, 11:03 PM
So, with the base model that lacks HDMI output, it is possible that when you watch a Blu-ray movie, that it will be artificially downgraded to 480p (DVD quality). Most people agree, though, that movie studios will not do this (at least not in the beginning) in order to gain an audience rather than to restrict one.
I'd say the base model not having it would be a good indication that they really aren't going to downgrade the video since they know for sure now that lots of people won't be able to display it.

bipper
05-10-2006, 01:07 AM
Yeah, with people shelling out this much money for the systems (and sony taking a hit and raising thier 'royalty' costs) I see games getting more expensive, and developers looking for a less royalty intense system to produse on. The game industry is hitting the 'Corperate Slide' and will wind up doing what they can to get the $$$ to stay on top. This will include screwing either:
A: The customer
B: The Developers
C: The Retailers
D: Themselves

It will evidently be the system that finds the best mixture of these dark concepts that wins this market. Though I do have faith in Nintendo if they win this round. Damn money.

Bipper

Ya Boy Alex
05-10-2006, 01:10 AM
I have my 360 and that was a stretch. I will definately not be getting a PS3.

Giga Guess
05-10-2006, 01:14 AM
Oy. Well, I never buy a system right off the bat anyways.

FallenAngel411
05-10-2006, 05:49 AM
Next next gen consoles will probably be closer to $1000 the way this is going. And the games will get more expensive as well. Ye gods. I better win the lottery soon.

DeathKnight
05-10-2006, 06:06 AM
Next next gen consoles will probably be closer to $1000 the way this is going. And the games will get more expensive as well. Ye gods. I better win the lottery soon.

how can people complain???

They're giving you the best graphics out there, LOTS of MEMORY, newest media(blu-ray), wireless internet connectivity and GREAT games.

I'm gonna buy it the day it comes out:D

Giga Guess
05-10-2006, 01:33 PM

They're giving you the best graphics out there, LOTS of MEMORY, newest media(blu-ray), wireless internet connectivity and GREAT games.

The rest of us mortals don't have $5-600 kicking around especially since the release date was, last I heard, and not terribly surprising, near Christmas. Well, Novemberish, but close enough.

DK
05-10-2006, 01:45 PM
This is why I'm waiting for the PS3 to come out to get the Xbox 360. When the PS3 is released, the 360 should drop it's price a little again. Then, by the time i'm done playing all the Xbox games I wanted to play and done playing all the suave looking games on the 360, the PS3 should have dropped it's price. :D

bipper
05-10-2006, 01:47 PM

Yay, bells and whisltes. No, definatley not worth it. There is a little computer hardware trick that tells you to buy first gen or second gen hardware as the price diference between that and bleeding edge hardware is just too great. Besides, Sony has a horable track record using current technology in thier previous products (See lawsuit history). Seeing Sony try to push the envolope (especially with third party outsourced products) is obviously going to arise a trust issue with me. I think the only thing they have going for them is thier developers - whom they will screw with royalty costs. I guess you can consider their blind fanboy following as another perk for them.

Bipper

DeathKnight
05-10-2006, 03:06 PM
*points to Bipper* I'll still buy it

crazybayman
05-10-2006, 05:06 PM
I'll wait. I could muster up $600, but I've got better things to spend it on.

When the price goes down, I'll get it, and make it my entertainment centre. Until then, they'd be nuts to think I'll spend $600 on a video game console. God.

BlackWaltz
05-10-2006, 05:06 PM
I dont know if anyones mentione dthis yet but the 60gb isnt the only upgrade from the 20gb ps3. The 60gb will have alot more media functions and will have extras such as a built in ethernet for online gaming and will also function wifi so that your psp can be connected, download FFVII and play it on your psp anyone? :D

edczxcvbnm
05-10-2006, 05:22 PM
I will buy one when the price hits $250. Anything more is too expensive and that time should also give them the time to work out most of their design flaws.

Mirage
05-10-2006, 05:23 PM
Both versions will have ethernet connectivity, the cheapest just won't have wireless ethernet, and lacks a thing that only people with HD displays will miss.

Samuraid
05-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Just a recap of what Yams said earlier: Just because a system has no HDMI connectors doesn't preclude HDTV resolutions. Standard component video connections do support HD resolutions up to 1080p.

KentaRawr!
05-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Well, I doubt I'll be able to get it soon after it launches. T_T I'm going to be saving up for a while if I want this thing!

Gnostic Yevon
05-10-2006, 11:44 PM
I think somebody needs to make a cheap console. That's what the game market needs. A cheap, non bleeding edge game machine that costs about $100 or less running games that cost less than $20. At the rate things are going, only the truely hardcore are going to be able to afford to play console games.

What about the nonhardcore who can't afford to drop $600 for a system and another $60 for each new game? How much playtime do you need to get out of a system that costs that much.

Clouded Sky
05-14-2006, 05:03 AM
One thing that hasn't been mentioned (I'm going from memory, it's something along these lines): The $600 model will have ports for a memory stick, SD flash, and some other card. $500 supposedly will not. Can someone verify this for me? I think I read it on GameSpot. Or IGN.

In any case, I will NOT be shelling out that kind of money. In November, I will be in the third month of my first year of college, with around $17,000 in loans, for the first year alone. My PS2 will serve me just fine. If anything, I'll buy a Wii on release day because Nintendo has already said it will be less than $299.

Rengori
05-14-2006, 06:23 AM
If I get a job to pay for it myself I might. Though that money would probably be better used for a used car... Oh well, I got 3 years.

MecaKane
05-14-2006, 01:42 PM
One thing that hasn't been mentioned (I'm going from memory, it's something along these lines): The $600 model will have ports for a memory stick, SD flash, and some other card. $500 supposedly will not. Can someone verify this for me? I think I read it on GameSpot. Or IGN.

In any case, I will NOT be shelling out that kind of money. In November, I will be in the third month of my first year of college, with around $17,000 in loans, for the first year alone. My PS2 will serve me just fine. If anything, I'll buy a Wii on release day because Nintendo has already said it will be less than $299.
When you get out college will an extra $600 on top of the $68,000+ loans be that much harder to pay off? ;)

DeathKnight
05-14-2006, 03:52 PM
I will buy one when the price hits $250. Anything more is too expensive and that time should also give them the time to work out most of their design flaws.

You'll buy it in 2008-09???:eek:

edczxcvbnm
05-14-2006, 05:27 PM

You'll buy it in 2008-09???:eek:

If that is when it drops to that price point then yes. I can wait 2 or 3 years.

Millia Billia
05-14-2006, 05:33 PM
I'll wait and catch up on getting around to all the PS2 games I haven't gotten around to while I'm waiting, thanks.

Oh who am I kidding? I'll be getting one as soon as FFXIII hits the shelves.

Vincent, Thunder God
05-14-2006, 05:55 PM
Yes, I am willing to pay that much. I'm working on getting the money (400 Canadian saved so far!).

Dreddz
05-14-2006, 06:29 PM
I already have the money in my bank account, just a matter of waiting now :p

Skarr
05-15-2006, 06:50 PM
I think I'll wait untill the price drops below $400. It's not that I'm cheap, it's just that I want a PS2 and so screw spending $600 bucks.

Reine
05-15-2006, 07:17 PM
Well, that price stinks :(

Here in NZ, the playstation was $750 on relaease, the PS2, $980, PSP $430 (Which I actually paid) GBA/GBA SP/DS $250 and XBox, near $1000

Whats this going to cost? :(