PDA

View Full Version : Oh sony... how sad *tear*

ljkkjlcm9
05-09-2006, 03:57 AM
News Article: Sony Tries to Ape Nintendo, Fails
News Date: 05/08/2006 20:53:50
Source: Sony Press Conference
Oh no they just didn't!

Sony just announced that the standard PS3 controller will include a 3 axis tilt sensor capable of detecting "360 degrees" of motion. The announcement was followed by a quick video, which, to the trained eye, demonstrated the limitations of their thinly veiled attempt to copy Nintendo's innovative Wii controller. They proudly asserted that the device was innovative (yes, but who's innovation?) and blithely pointed out that it requires no external sensors to function.

At what cost does the loss of external sensors come though? In short, the PS3 controller will only detect the tilt of the controller as it is moved. The demonstration showed a guy attempting to fly a plane from the game Warhawk with it. He made exaggerated motions, which turned the plane, but the plane returned to level before he moved the controller back. This is a far cry from the sensitivity of the Wii controller. The sensor bar allows the Wii to detect the precise location and orientation of the Wii controller even when it is not moving. This will enable a much larger range of applications (such as first person shooting to name just one). Of course, the Wii controller also has an accelerometer in the analog attachment as well.

Apparently no other PS3 launch games (assuming Warhawk makes the launch) are currently designed to use the device, which was likely a last minute add on in response to the increasing popularity of Nintendo's new controller design.

http://www.planetgamecube.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=11428
I got this from planetgamecube, but considering they got it from an official Sony press conference, and they wait to post most things, it's definitely true.

Oh sony, how very very sad of you

THE JACKEL

-N-
05-09-2006, 04:20 AM
I don't think it matters whether Sony's controller senses gyroscopic motion well or not. The point is the functionality has been announced, and its only a matter of time before third-party hardware manufacturers produce better gyroscopic controllers for the PS3. Ironically, this is the one thing PCs have had for a long time over consoles, so the transition should be quick. If you wait a few months after PS3 launches, I bet you'll see better controllers out there.

ljkkjlcm9
05-09-2006, 02:15 PM
I don't think it matters whether Sony's controller senses gyroscopic motion well or not. The point is the functionality has been announced, and its only a matter of time before third-party hardware manufacturers produce better gyroscopic controllers for the PS3. Ironically, this is the one thing PCs have had for a long time over consoles, so the transition should be quick. If you wait a few months after PS3 launches, I bet you'll see better controllers out there.
yes but the sad part is they're already copying nintendo and the system hasn't even been released yet

THE JACKEL