PDA

View Full Version : What do the grade markings mean to you?

ShunNakamura
05-09-2006, 06:32 AM
A
B
C
D
F

What do those single letters mean to you?

A-Acceptable
B-Barely Acceptable
C-Completely Unacceptable
D-Despicable
F-Failure at given skill/ability(or complete lack of said skill, whichever I feel like at the time).

Maybe I am a bit overly demanding on grades... but meh. Take a guess where I generally land :P.

Anyways I was just wandering about this because I recently had a threat of scoring a C in a class(I got ill and missed the deadline on an online test) and it sent me into a literal panic(even through my fever). And I was just thinking, the number of people who would have traded grades with me at that point is probably pretty high(it was a psyc course in which nearly half were failing). In fact I would have had an A, but me being silly like I am forgot to complete a large assignment that made an A impossible. That I took like a man, and generally I would have taken the missed test like a man, but the threat of a C, made me panic and message the professor about it. Meh, guess I am weird, I don't know anyone else in person that panics/gets ticked over a C.

Ramza Beoulve
05-09-2006, 06:39 AM
I don't really care about grades, and if I get a D (7 here in México n.nU), I just try more the next time, but there's something I have always wonder... Why there is not an E grade? O.o

black orb
05-09-2006, 06:42 AM
>>> lol, In school my grades were numbers not letters..

Shlup
05-09-2006, 06:44 AM
A - Damn right.
B - Who needs it anyway?
C - This class is so damn boring.
D - This letter does not exit.
F - Something has gone horribly wrong.

Hawkeye
05-09-2006, 06:45 AM
F- Fine
D- Damn Good
C- Ctupid
B- BAMF
A- Alright.

-N-
05-09-2006, 07:17 AM
Did anyone ever have the E-G-S-N-U grading system in elementary school? Or was it just because I attended a crappy elementary school for six months before moving on?

Old Manus
05-09-2006, 07:19 AM
Exams are so easy here that nobody gets lower than a C to see what it feels like

Rase
05-09-2006, 07:22 AM
Did anyone ever have the E-G-S-N-U grading system in elementary school? Or was it just because I attended a crappy elementary school for six months before moving on?

I think I did. Wasn't it like: Excellent, Good, Satisfactory, Needs Work, Unsatisfactory?

Anyway, right now mine goes as follows, according to my parents:
A - Great job
B - Good job
C - Concentrate more - possible consequences
D - We'll be making sure you do all homework and study 2 hours a day - no form of electronic entertainment.
F - Disowned. Have fun living in a box at the park.

This is, of course, only on an actual report card.

Jebus
05-09-2006, 07:23 AM
A-Sweet!
B-Yes!
C-Alrighty then.
D-Sweet, I passed.
F-Aw, fuck.

Grades mean very little to me. :D

It's all about the comprehension of the material.

-N-
05-09-2006, 07:28 AM

I think I did. Wasn't it like: Excellent, Good, Satisfactory, Needs Work, Unsatisfactory?Yeah that!

Rase
05-09-2006, 07:31 AM
:D

I always liked that way better, it seemed like I understood it more. I mean, since when was "A" a good letter? And why skip "E"? At least the other way it had some sort of reason to it.

Rusty
05-09-2006, 08:33 AM
A- Awesome. Great.
B- Really good. Happy.
C- Acceptable and will deal with this for only some subjects.
D- What happened?
F- Jump off nearest bridge.

Miriel
05-09-2006, 08:55 AM
Honestly, it depends on the subject.

Generally, it goes:

A - Yay! :D
B - Ok. =)
C - Eh...
D - Boo. =(
F - Crap. :( :( :(

But if it's a subject I enjoy and I'm usually good at, I will expect A's, and B's will be a slight disappointment to me. C's and below would be unacceptable. However in subjects like math and science, I'd be thrilled with B's and moderately satisfied with C's. D's and F's suck no matter what.

Skogs
05-09-2006, 08:56 AM
A: Good job, keep it up.
B: You really should be getting an A.
C: C'mon, try harder - anyone can get a C.
D: Maybe school isn't for you...
F: Why are you still here?

Loony BoB
05-09-2006, 09:57 AM
I think I did. Wasn't it like: Excellent, Good, Satisfactory, Needs Work, Unsatisfactory?Yeah that!
We had that, too.

ABCDF correspond to those for the most part, although it's sort of like moving everything up a notch.

A = Ace
B = Been Working Well
C = Crap / Could Have Done Better
D = Dude, Start Working Already
F = 'Frollick' Off

NeoCracker
05-09-2006, 10:02 AM
A: Good job, keep it up.
B: You really should be getting an A.
C: C'mon, try harder - anyone can get a C.
D: Maybe school isn't for you...
F: Why are you still here?
best version yet.

Samuraid
05-09-2006, 10:15 AM
A - Great
B - Good (depending on how hard the class is)
C - this prof sucks
D - this prof sucks
F - this prof sucks

Captain Maxx Power
05-09-2006, 11:53 AM
If you want an A you've got to pay
If you want a B it's only a small fee
If you want a C just be stingey
If you want a D from the exam room flee
If you want an E at the marker also scream
If you want an F snort some meth
And if you want a U you know what you must do...

Shaun
05-09-2006, 01:05 PM
I don't believe grades are a true way of measuring skill. But I guess that's just the way it is. I tried so hard at GCSE, and whilst I'm not some super-giddy prep who gets top grades, I think I did okay...

English Language: A
English Literature: B
Media Studies: B
Maths: C
G.N.V.Q. (college) ICT: 4 x C-grade

And this is where it went wrong...

Double-award Science: 2 x D-grade
History: D
RE: E...

I think I did really well when I consider the state of depression I was in at that time (well, it's probably worsened now but meh). I could barely even revise. However, at college things haven't been going so well. I got an E for my first modular Computing exam... but I'm resitting it. I don't mean to stereotype, but those who do get the top grades are usually well looked after by their parents, they're very often preppy, and their families often have a good income (I'm referring to most cases - not necessarily your case). It's been very hard for me and it's going to be a very steep battle if I want to academically succeed, so here's what I think of the grades...

A: Am I dreaming?
B: Wow, I did great.
C: Good, I guess...
D: Kinda average. I see it as a fail.
E: I'm not amused.
F: :(

Black Angel
05-09-2006, 01:08 PM
A-Whoo!!! ^^
B- Yay!
C- That's ok
D- Meh...
F- Who cares...:rolleyes2

Mo-Nercy
05-09-2006, 02:56 PM
I did. And in primary school I rarely got anything below Good. Credit goes to my asian parents. xD

After I got into a selective high school, I was very much in the middle of everyone. Because everyone was academically elite, I didn't have the advantage I had over everyone else like I did in primary school (except in History). We used a percentage system and I generally hovered about the 70-80 range. But thanks to the screwed up education system we have here, my school's performance relative to the rest of the state scaled my final UAI up to 91.35 allowing me to coast into uni without too much of a hassle (though I did study quite a bit, my marks in the end didn't reflect the effort I had put in :( )

I've just started uni and I am totally not failing. xD

Zeldy
05-09-2006, 04:40 PM
We don't use A,B,C,D until our GCSE's. My exams/assesments are assessed into Levels which are more or less the same as A,B,C and D ^_^

level 8 - O_O They must have marked it wrong.
Level 7 - Amazingly good. Amazing! Highest grade Ive ever got.
Level 6 - Okay so Im average
Level 5 - >_>
Level 4 - Aw crap.

But they change every year. Next year Level 8 will be the average, 7 the under average and 9 would be wowzer.

Yuna-Lenne
05-09-2006, 04:54 PM
A=yay, great!
B=Phew, that's alright then
C=Darn, my parents are gonna be mad, at least I passed
D=...

Levian
05-09-2006, 05:02 PM
S = Who's test is this? it's not mine.
M = Flirting with the teacher.
G = I always get these.
N = Failed flirting with teacher.
L = Maths.

project X
05-09-2006, 05:28 PM
This is how my parents see things:

A: Great.
B: Mildly terrible.
C: Terrible.
D: Terrible.
F: Terrible.

Omnislash07
05-09-2006, 11:02 PM
this is how i see grades

A - gj pwnd that class
B - not bad dude
C - hmm maybe i should study?...nope
D - k page 1...
F - omfg who needs to know spanish anyway (no offense to anyone who does speak spanish)

the only class i have ever gotten an F on my report card for was Spanish 1 my freshman year in highschool. I had absolutely no ambition to learn spanish but i had been forced to take it. Also the only class i've ever flunked. i usually get A's and B's with like 2 C's my entire life.

Course my parents see the scale like this

A - gj keep it up
B - should be an A
C - start studying now or else
D - im not kidding u better study
F - i hope u can spell disown(cept they didnt care bout spanish cause my dad flunked french in high school)

Peegee
05-09-2006, 11:48 PM
100% pass
99% fail

-- not my standard, but I have a humourous stereotype that involves this (that I don't take seriously of course).

Anyway I tend to view 'A' as knowledgeable but either you messed up some questions or you were tested on something you just didn't study/learn properly.

A+ means you know your stuff. In my experience this is when I know the course material already. I never study everything in a course otherwise.

B+ and lower are varying degrees of not knowing course material.

D or lower means you just didn't care. F and lower means you really didn't care.

Rye
05-09-2006, 11:54 PM
A - Awesomesauce
B- Pretty good!
C - Ehhh
D - Crap
F - Failure

I usually get As and A+s, but Bs are fine with me. :) People who FREAK over Bs need to chill out. Especially people who whine about getting Bs (and even As instead of A+'s, which is incredibly sad) to everyone around them.

I'm going to tell you quite bluntly that everyone HATES to hear someone cry over Bs, when Bs are quite good. If you have to freak over about Bs, do it at home, so you don't bug anyone/hurt anyones feelings who may work hard for just a B. Some people are proud for just getting a B, and to take away from their happiness because you get your panties in a wad over an 85 on a test is mean.

Shoden
05-09-2006, 11:57 PM
Here in the GCSE grades are A* A B C D E F G and U.

U means you're a total dumbass. A* means you're a know it all, smartarse nerd.
I'm always getting C's D's And E's.

ZeZipster
05-10-2006, 12:03 AM
A - Yay, I could be the next Bill Clinton!
B - Hmm, I think I'll start slacking off now.
C - Yay, I could be the next Bush!
D - I need to get my act together.
F - I REALLY need to get my act together.

Shoeberto
05-10-2006, 12:03 AM
My school goes by A-E.
And really, it makes more sense that way. People say that 'F'='fail' but that really doesn't hold true for the other letters. It just seems like a silly cultural thing that we refuse to get rid of.

ZeZipster
05-10-2006, 12:07 AM
My school goes by A-E.
And really, it makes more sense that way. People say that 'F'='fail' but that really doesn't hold true for the other letters. It just seems like a silly cultural thing that we refuse to get rid of.

If you don't know 50% of what you're studying, odds are you don't know it.

eestlinc
05-10-2006, 12:08 AM
yea, we had that here in wonderful Georgia.

I used to get grounded for getting a B.

Rye
05-10-2006, 12:10 AM
My school actually goes by numbers rather than letters, but it's easy to convert. A+ = 100, A = 90 range, B = 80 range, etc. A fail is a 65 or lower. :p