PDA

View Full Version : Stand up

NeoCracker
05-09-2006, 09:40 AM
Again, tis I who makes the thread of the day.

Today, whos your favorite stand up comic?

I say the best one out there is Lewis Black. Razor sharp wit and the appeal of an Angry old man.

Meat Puppet
05-09-2006, 09:51 AM
I have many, but Mitch Hedberg is always first to come to mind.
<!--Yeah, I mentioned him before you. Get over it.-->

Cid Vicious
05-09-2006, 09:52 AM
Peter Kay or Andy Kaufman.

Loony BoB
05-09-2006, 10:12 AM
The greatest standup comics alive are Ben Bailey and Raybon Kan. Also well worth a mention is Adam Hills, although I haven't seen too much of him lately. Ben Bailey though, he's fantastic. Check out the clips (http://www.therealbenbailey.com/TV%20Work.htm) on this website of his (http://www.therealbenbailey.com/) (ignore the first two). Great stuff. :D I'm a big standup fan.

NeoCracker
05-09-2006, 10:26 AM
The greatest standup comics alive are Ben Bailey and Raybon Kan. Also well worth a mention is Adam Hills, although I haven't seen too much of him lately. Ben Bailey though, he's fantastic. Check out the clips (http://www.therealbenbailey.com/TV%20Work.htm) on this website of his (http://www.therealbenbailey.com/) (ignore the first two). Great stuff. :D I'm a big standup fan.
Thats some good stuff right there.

Zell's Fists of Fury
05-09-2006, 11:25 AM
Dane Cook, hands down, as I'm sure many will argree. Very quoteable and that makes a comic for me. To beable to see a situation unfold and go "That Dane is a silly bitch," well, that just bring a big smile to my face.

Mitch Hedberg too. His stand-up is nothing but drunk talk, but it's the funniest drunk talk you'll ever hear.

wandererwillow
05-09-2006, 11:47 AM
Lewis Black was great when he started...he became to political, and now it sounds like a speech against the government with some humor thrown in here and there. I love his old stuff.

Rest in peace, Mitch. Mitch Hedberg was a god of his own world. He stood out among other comedians, and noone will ever be able to do what he did.

Dane Cook is overplayed. In fact, I kind of find his stuff to be annoying. Yeah, I laugh my ass off with the "I want to get a monkey, and dress him up in armor, and teach him to swordfight" bit. But he kinda reaches for it with some..."I went down on this chick...I swear she washed her vagina with another dirty vagina"...thanks...uh...I didnt find it as funny. But once again, older stuff was better.

Then again, "how psyched would you be going home from work knowing there is a monkey waiting to battle you?"

I like Frank Caliendo. Great impression comedian. Seems to be able to hit his mark on each impression perfectly. Hearing his impression of our president explaining charlotte's web and John Madden singing little bunny foo foo had me in tears from laughing.

Loony BoB
05-09-2006, 11:51 AM
Anyone who watches standup on a regular basis - both American and non-American - would know that Dane Cook is pretty sub-par. Monkey battles? It's not even funny, it's just random. If you're going to be random, at least make it funny at the same time. Use talent, you know? Look for stuff by a guy called Radar. Random and talented.

EDIT: And yes, I've heard a lot of his stuff, I was reccomended him by someone who doesn't watch much standup and it sort of showed.

EDIT: I guess he appeals to the people who think that a comedian should be good looking and cool. He has the whole 'punk' look going for him, sort of looking like he should be playing in a band instead of doing comedy. I mean, what's so funny about using an acronym for a swear word or using two fingers instead of one when flipping the bird? It's not. It's just different. I mean, if you want something refreshing and different, then go for him. He's everything your average top class comedian isn't! You know. He's not bad looking, he's not a dweeb on any level, he's not witty, and he's not funny.

NeoCracker
05-09-2006, 11:52 AM
I remember another awsome standup, Stephen Lynch. Who doesn't love teh super hero song?

If I could be a super here, I'd be immagration dude.
I'd take all the foreiners back to there homes, for eating up all of our food

Good stuff

Zell's Fists of Fury
05-09-2006, 11:54 AM
Psh.
You're just jealous that he's more popular than you.

NeoCracker
05-09-2006, 11:55 AM
Assuming your responding to bob, Dane cook is kinda lame. He has a few good ones, I mean I actually like the monkey thing, but mostly he is a little lame.

Also, just rememberd another great one, Patton Oswald.

Loony BoB
05-09-2006, 12:01 PM
Psh.
You're just jealous that he's more popular than you.
No, really, he's an entertainer, not a comedian.

Faris
05-09-2006, 12:30 PM
Bill Engvall and Jeff Foxworthy!

NeoCracker
05-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Bill Engvall and Jeff Foxworthy!
I should smack you. Blue collar comedy sucks.

~SapphireStar~
05-09-2006, 01:50 PM
Bill Hicks, Billy Connerly, Peter Kay, Jo Brand, Jack Dee, Bill Bailey, Lee Evans, Victoria Wood and Richard Pryor.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
05-09-2006, 02:49 PM
has anyone heard of that Middle-Eastern London based comedian who takes the mick out of his own culture sometimes? This is definetly one guy I don't find funny

Cz
05-09-2006, 04:58 PM
has anyone heard of that Middle-Eastern London based comedian who takes the mick out of his own culture sometimes? This is definetly one guy I don't find funny
Omar Djalili? I rather like him, personally. Jack Dee, Bill Bailey, or Ed Byrne are probably my favourites, though.

Loony BoB
05-09-2006, 05:06 PM
Ed Byrne is awesome.

dirkdirden
05-09-2006, 05:11 PM
Dane cook
steven lynch
Mitch the one and only
ZAck Galafanakis

they make me cuckle.

NeoCracker
05-09-2006, 05:16 PM
There are two other comics but I can't think of their names right now.

One of them said they planned to save up a few thousand dollars. The money would be sent to a really famous person so at his funeral the famous guy would show up in a helicopter, look down on the casket, then leave without saying a word. Just to make people think he knew a famous person in life. Of course he also wants an indoor close casket funeral. Though his body wouldn't be in the Casket. Suddenly all the lights would shut off and a disco ball would drop, then his body would be hung from a wire while disco music started to play.

The other one only had one joke I remember. When his neibhor would bang on the wall because the music was too loud, who would knock back and say, "I'm sorry, I can't open up the wall, you'll have to go around."

dirkdirden
05-09-2006, 05:24 PM
There are two other comics but I can't think of their names right now.

One of them said they planned to save up a few thousand dollars. The money would be sent to a really famous person so at his funeral the famous guy would show up in a helicopter, look down on the casket, then leave without saying a word. Just to make people think he knew a famous person in life. Of course he also wants an indoor close casket funeral. Though his body wouldn't be in the Casket. Suddenly all the lights would shut off and a disco ball would drop, then his body would be hung from a wire while disco music started to play.

The other one only had one joke I remember. When his neibhor would bang on the wall because the music was too loud, who would knock back and say, "I'm sorry, I can't open up the wall, you'll have to go around."

yeah the top guy I don't know his name but he is silly.

project X
05-09-2006, 05:41 PM
Dane Cook, Demetri Martin, Eddie Murphy, DAVE CHAPELLE, umm.. Richard Pryor.. George Carlin. There's more that I can't remember. D:

DynasticJam
05-09-2006, 07:39 PM
I have many, I'll list my top favorites:

1. Lee Evans
2. Tommy Cooper
3. Bill Bailey
4. Harry Hill
5. Frankie Howard

Gosh I cant think of any more, but my favorite is Lee Evans (Saw him live not long ago)

lady yunalesca
05-09-2006, 09:56 PM
ricky gervais.....that man is a genius!!! :D

Black Angel
05-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Blue collar Comedy Tour. :D (Haha, you can't smack me, corncracker, i'm a girl. :P)
Steven Lynch
Dane Cook
Carlos Mencia
Gabreil Iglesias

NeoCracker
05-09-2006, 10:09 PM
Blue collar Comedy Tour. :D (Haha, you can't smack me, corncracker, i'm a girl. :P)
Steven Lynch
Dane Cook
Carlos Mencia
Gabreil Iglesias
I don't discriminate against Gender. However you like Lynch, so teh smacking will be reduced.

I Took the Red Pill
05-10-2006, 03:11 AM
Anyone who watches standup on a regular basis - both American and non-American - would know that Dane Cook is pretty sub-par.

THANK YOU. Of course you have the classics (Murphy, Carlin, Wright, etc.), but of modern comics I dunno, I thought Jimmy Carr and Greg Giraldo are pretty funny on stand-up.

Ya Boy Alex
05-10-2006, 03:37 AM
I still love Chris Rock and Martin Lawrence can get down when he wants to.

-N-
05-10-2006, 04:30 AM
Daniel Tosh. :D

Rase
05-10-2006, 04:45 AM
Demetri Martin. Something about his routine has me cracking up during almost the entire thing. :D

Jebus
05-10-2006, 04:46 AM
Mitch Hedberg
Lewis Black (Old AND new stuff (<3 political humor))
Stephen Lynch
Demetri Martin
Jim Gaffigan
The Comedians of Comedy (Patton Oswalt, Brian Posehn, Zach Galifianakis, and Maria Bamford)
Andy Kaufman (One of my personal favorites, actually)

And of course I love the classics like Richard Pryor, George Carlin, etc.

Elysian
05-13-2006, 06:06 AM
I remember another awsome standup, Stephen Lynch. Who doesn't love teh super hero song?

If I could be a super here, I'd be immagration dude.
I'd take all the foreiners back to there homes, for eating up all of our food

Good stuff

Haha, he's a silly guy sometimes and then just downright digusting at others.