PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy = win the console war?

Carmilla
05-09-2006, 08:48 PM
The reason im buying the PS3 is mostly because Square is highly supporting it. And im sure im not the only one buying a PS3 for Final Fantasy...

But just look at the past 'winners' in the console battles and the Final Fantasy games on that system...

NES - FF I, II, III
Super NES - FF IV, V, VI
PS1 - FF VII, VIII, IX
PS2 - FF VII Dirge Cerberus, FF X, FF X-2, FF XI, FF XII
PS3 - FF XIII, FF vs XIII

So does this mean that the FF series has a huge impact on which consoles people buy? Or does this mean that Square only follows the money? :mog: :choc2:

NeoCracker
05-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Square will put the games wherever the money will be made. NES is where it started, so sthye stuck with that up until the 64. They went with Sony because the CD's could hold more than a cartrage at the time, because of that the predicted PS would sell better. They were right and have went with that assumtion. As far as handelds moneys on nintendo, hence why square is making many more games there than the PSP, who only gets one of the FF VII games, aside from that nothing really. So yes, they are going with the money.

Carmilla
05-09-2006, 09:44 PM
I forgot about the handhelds..

The DS can play FF I - VI, Tactics Advance, and the upcoming Crystal Chronicles.

The PSP has... Crisis Core :tongue:

Mirage
05-09-2006, 09:55 PM
I don't know. The Xbox 360 seems to be getting more interesting titles this time around. I think I might actually buy all 3 systems this time. Not at once ofcourse, and definitely not at launch. When the price tag for the X360 drops to like 150 dulors, and has a few good "best buy" titles I might consider it. Don't get me wrong though, there's no way I'll get the PS3 at launch either, both because of the pricetag and the bugs I know there will be.

Crossblades
05-09-2006, 10:22 PM
It doesn't matter to me because I'm getting the PS3 for the FFXIII titles and the Revolution for FFCC.

But yeah, Square goes to where most of the money is

Yuffie514
05-09-2006, 11:30 PM
for a main reason, that is why i bought the PS2 and thus is the same reason for PS3. but it's not just Final Fantasy. game series i really like seem to mainstream on PlayStation 2 such as Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Tenchu, Suikoden, Xenosaga, etc. and one would look this way for RPGs, which no other console has more of (and successful titles) than PlayStation itself...

DeathKnight
05-10-2006, 03:21 AM
Possibly in Japan, but not really here, though it does help a lot.:choc2:

Ya Boy Alex
05-10-2006, 03:25 AM
It won't decide who wins the console wars in Japan. As far as I know DQ sells much better there. It wont decide it anywhere but it will make a small difference.

DJZen
05-10-2006, 05:57 AM
I don't know. The Xbox 360 seems to be getting more interesting titles this time around. I think I might actually buy all 3 systems this time. Not at once ofcourse, and definitely not at launch. When the price tag for the X360 drops to like 150 dulors, and has a few good "best buy" titles I might consider it.

You realize that the original Xbox still costs $180 new, right?

Mirage
05-10-2006, 01:20 PM
Doesn't matter. I said when that happens :p. I guess that just means it'll be a while till I get it.
-edit-
The Xbox is just about 130 dollars here. That's actually less than the PS2 and the GC. That's really cheap, considering everything is generally more expensive here than in the US. games that cost $70 in the US cost about $100, for example.
That surprised me, I guess it must have dropped like a brick after the 360 was launched.

Loony BoB
05-10-2006, 02:58 PM
Final Fantasy does not win the console war, the better console wins Final Fantasy.

Mirage
05-10-2006, 04:01 PM
I disagree, the console with the best games does, regardless of which pumps out 20 more polygons than the other.
But then again, software support can be bought with money, so eventually, the biggest company's console will win (if they really want).

Loony BoB
05-10-2006, 04:05 PM
Sorry, I should reword what I meant.

Final Fantasy does not win the console war, the more popular console wins Final Fantasy.

I'm just saying that the SE will put FF onto the console that they feel will sell best. Whatever the reason is that such a console will sell better won't be "because it has Final Fantasy". I hope I'm a bit clearer this time.

Mirage
05-10-2006, 06:59 PM
I agree with that. I also believe that S-E will put their games on the systems that give them the most profit. I think any independent software company would do the same. By independent I mean that none of the hardware companies own a huge part of them.

DJZen
05-10-2006, 08:54 PM
Pardon, I'm mistaken. Microsoft's website says that a new Xbox is $150. Refurbished machines can be found for anywhere from $110 to $130. That's NOT less than the Gamecube, which is $100 new and $70 used. It's definitely the cheapest console available. (PStwo is available for $130 new and $100 used. The original model of PS2 can't be found new for the most part, but a refurb is also $100.)

Shiny
05-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Square always puts there games for the consoles that are the most popular and have the most games for them. Maybe this isn't entirely true since Square did decided to put Crystal Chronicles for Gamecube. But, I think they just did they to stick to the roots of where FF was stemed from. However, I only buy the consoles I want, because they have the most amount of games I want. I won't buy a console, because FFXII is going to be on it Not gonna do it.