PDA

View Full Version : Are Monsters Worth Getting?

PontiusPilate
05-09-2006, 10:32 PM
Some people say monsters are definately worth getting and some thin their totally pointless. Whats your opinion

Octorok
05-10-2006, 01:21 AM
The only monster I have in my party is Worker 8, and I hardly use him because of his incredibly slow speed. (I can't deny that his immense power and various skills come in handy, or that that you need him or a Tiamat to get Escutcheon II and Javelin II).

I wouldn't mind a high-level chocobo (of any variety) or maybe a bone snatch.
I would also consider a bird for their range; I guess my choices are because I'd only use them for support and not a part of my main force, which is why I wouldn't got for a dragon or hydra.

However, are Reis's Dragoner abilities worth keeping a Dragon around?

feioncastor
05-10-2006, 04:32 AM
I really don't like using monsters. Chocobos, especially black ones, are fun for their skills and flying abilities. But other than that, I don't like monsters at all. Sure, they're powerful, but the lack of versatility just turns me away from using them.

conan
05-10-2006, 05:40 AM
supposedly the behemoths have some sick skills if you use monster skill next to them. i have yet to confirm this though....

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-10-2006, 05:51 AM
They have a few. (http://eyesonff.com/fft/monsterabilities.php)

Despotus
05-10-2006, 09:02 AM
I don't use monsters often in my party, except maybe early in the game. I would have to say, though, that monsters are definitely worth getting. They serve a noble purpose, and it's called breeding. If you recruit even the simplest monsters and let them breed, they will beget stronger offspring eventually. Bull Demons will eventually breed Sacreds, and Yellow Chocobos will give you Red ones eventually. Morbols and Flotiballs are other wonderful groups to breed.:cool:

The point to breeding is that the stronger monsters (apart from being somewhat useful additions to your early party) will yeild some unique and sometimes powerful weapons and other items when you poach them with Secret Hunt. Sacreds can give you Holy Lances and Ivory Rods;Red Chocobos could give you Barettes;Plagues give you Yagyu Darkness stars and Zorlin Shape knives. Great Morbols are the best source of Elixers in the game, although on rare occasions they could give you a Mademgen dictionary. The more powerful monster types: Dragons, Hydras, Behemoths, and Uribos will become available as the game progresses and their poached rewards are even better.:D

I think people ought to get a couple of types of monsters early in the game and breed and poach the most powerful species. You will not be able to buy the poached items at a Fur Shop until Ch. 3, but the skins you poached in Ch. 1 and 2 will still count. Or just wait until Ch. 3, but make sure you still have more than a half-dozen character slots open in your party. Really successful breeding takes a lot of time and patience, but I.M.H.O. it is worth it. ;)

BG-57
05-10-2006, 12:31 PM
Dang it Despotus, you said everything I wanted to say! :p

Well, except that it's easier to breed one monster type at a time. Some people feel bad about ditching Boco, but he is a generic chocobo, and you can always rename your generic monsters. Personally once I've bred monsters of every class that can net rare items I recruit a Hyrudra in Nelveska Temple and breed up two Tiamats. They hold a position of honor in my roster in every game. :D

Octorok
05-10-2006, 10:33 PM
What about the Apanda from Deep Dungeon?
Is he worth keeping around?

BG-57
05-11-2006, 12:27 PM
Byblos is worth keeping, even on principle, since he's a one-of-a-kind monster. He's also fairly powerful, and perhaps most usefully, can auto-poach. So he's useful, but only in special circumstances.

Ragnarok
05-12-2006, 08:49 AM
The only moster I ever consider keeping are red chocobos, mostly for their mobility, speed, and range of their meteor attack. Although these are all a plus, a well balanced human character will beat any monster you can get.

feioncastor
05-12-2006, 06:19 PM
The only moster I ever consider keeping are red chocobos, mostly for their mobility, speed, and range of their meteor attack. Although these are all a plus, a well balanced human character will beat any monster you can get.
Agreed!