PDA

View Full Version : Rufus

Xalibar
05-10-2006, 05:23 AM
Why was Rufus in the wheelchair when he could stand up like he did in the building?

FallenAngel411
05-10-2006, 05:43 AM
I would say he was putting on an act to seem week to Kadaj, but he was back in the wheelchair at the end of the movie. So I guess his getting up and shooting at Jenova were his last reserves of strength.

Cruise Control
05-10-2006, 07:09 AM
I dunno, but he was freaking awesome.

Mo-Nercy
05-10-2006, 10:06 AM
I originally thought that it was because he was trying to fool Kadaj into thinking he didn't have much strength in him. But in the end, we see him surrounded by the Turks and still in his wheelchair. So I reckon those few seconds of physical exertion were all that he was capable of.

~SapphireStar~
05-10-2006, 11:45 AM
I thought it was because of the Shinra building being destoryed. But yeah maybe it was to fool Kadaj.

starseeker
05-10-2006, 10:05 PM
Probably both

Mercen-X
05-13-2006, 11:12 PM
He was back in the chair again at the end. Gee, maybe because the fall off that building took a lot out of him.

mooglebunni608
05-15-2006, 04:28 AM
he was lazy. Or maybe at the end of the movie he wanted to sit and the wheel chair was the only available seat :D

TheAbominatrix
05-15-2006, 04:35 AM
He has Geostigma. As we see in Cloud, it weakens a person quite a bit, especially in later stages. They arent completly incapacitated, but no doubt a wheelchair was very helpful to Rufus. His encounter with Kadaj wore him out, so at the end he takes a rest in his wheelchair once more, until of course he's healed by Great Gospel.

It has nothing to do with the almost fatal injuries he sustained during the course of the game, because that was two full years before the events of Advent Children. Unless he was paralyzed in that event (which he clearly wasnt), he would have no need for a wheelchair two years after the fact.

*~Angel Wing~*
05-18-2006, 12:21 AM
I originally thought that it was because he was trying to fool Kadaj into thinking he didn't have much strength in him. But in the end, we see him surrounded by the Turks and still in his wheelchair. So I reckon those few seconds of physical exertion were all that he was capable of.
I totally agree he was trying to fool Kadaj. But when he was in his wheelchair in the end, I think he just wanted to sit down. :D

TheAbominatrix
05-18-2006, 04:16 AM
If he just wanted to fool Kadaj, why would he be in the wheelchair during his meeting with Cloud?

forgiven angel
06-14-2006, 07:11 AM
i think it was half of the whold geostigma thing and he was just using that as an excuse to trick kadaj and then using the last of his strength to throw the box off the clif and then trying to shoot it when kadaj blows him off of the building

Sefie1999AD
06-14-2006, 12:25 PM
It has nothing to do with the almost fatal injuries he sustained during the course of the game, because that was two full years before the events of Advent Children. Unless he was paralyzed in that event (which he clearly wasnt), he would have no need for a wheelchair two years after the fact.

Really? I always thought he was in the wheel chair because of the injuries he suffered in FFVII when Diamond Weapon destroyed Rufus' office. Though Geostigma could be a valid explanation as well. As for where Rufus got the strength to stand up and shoot at the box, I guess he just used all the strength that was left in him. Or call it a limit break. :D

TheAbominatrix
06-14-2006, 09:21 PM

Really? I always thought he was in the wheel chair because of the injuries he suffered in FFVII when Diamond Weapon destroyed Rufus' office. Though Geostigma could be a valid explanation as well. As for where Rufus got the strength to stand up and shoot at the box, I guess he just used all the strength that was left in him. Or call it a limit break. :D
That wouldnt explain the bandages, though. There's no reason for two-year old injuries to be covered in bandages. Anything on the skin would have surely healed after two years. We also know he has Geostigma because the specifically show him (with the Turks) during Great Gospel, showing us that he two is being healed.

I initially thought the same thing about the injuries, but it just doesnt add up. He can clearly walk and move, so he isnt paralyzed in any way, and aside from paralyzation I dont see how any of those injuries would still be around after two full years. (edit: And I didnt deduce all the Geostigma stuff myself, I looked around. I didnt pay enough attention to the film :D)

A limit break? xD That'd be so cool. I like that idea a lot.

Sefie1999AD
06-15-2006, 05:41 PM
That wouldnt explain the bandages, though. There's no reason for two-year old injuries to be covered in bandages. Anything on the skin would have surely healed after two years. We also know he has Geostigma because the specifically show him (with the Turks) during Great Gospel, showing us that he two is being healed.

I initially thought the same thing about the injuries, but it just doesnt add up. He can clearly walk and move, so he isnt paralyzed in any way, and aside from paralyzation I dont see how any of those injuries would still be around after two full years. (edit: And I didnt deduce all the Geostigma stuff myself, I looked around. I didnt pay enough attention to the film :D)

Right, that would make sense, although I'm not sure the movie designers were thinking that far when they put Rufus in the wheelchair. When he threw away his white cape and revelead himself and the box to Kadaj, though, I was very amazed how he could still stand since I thought he had lost his ability to walk or something.

The Great Gospel isn't the only place where you'll get to know Rufus has Geostigma. I knew it quite early in the movie. Here's what Kadaj and Rufus said (from the fan translation) earlier in the movie:

KADAJ: "We're going to collect everyone with Mother's cells into one place. And then we're going to get revenge on the world. Preparations are coming along pretty well... but you see, someone had to go and hide Mother..."
RUFUS: "Preparations?"
KADAJ: "Geostigma. (he looks at Rufus suspiciously) You know all about it, right, Boss?"

I at least interpreted that in a way that the scene showed us how Rufus had Geostigma, and Kadaj knew it too.

crayzee gamr
06-22-2006, 12:53 AM
maybe him getting up from the wheelchair was a trick, BUT he was in a fire in the game when weapon destroyed shin-ra while Rufus was inside. Wouldn't he be covered in burn scars and maybe have a missing eye or limbs (it is possible)? Maybe he used curaga or esuna so he wouldn't have those marks. :confused:
I dunno

TheAbominatrix
06-22-2006, 04:27 AM
The reason he has the bandages has been explained. He has geostigma. Cloud has similar bandages.