PDA

View Full Version : Cinematic Battle System

ZeZipster
05-10-2006, 07:45 PM
It looks like it plays like a movie. Did anyone notice the menu during the fight scene in the trailer? Reminded me of reactions commands in KHII. So how does everyone feel about a more action-ish cinematic RPG? Personally, I don't feel like SquareEnix can go wrong with it after KHII.

Vivisteiner
05-10-2006, 08:13 PM
It looks absolutely awesome. I just hope it doesn't lose too much the typical FF feel. I don't want it be too much of an action game. I hope it retains the FF RPG style fighting.

Khaotic
05-10-2006, 08:44 PM
It looks absolutely awesome. I just hope it doesn't lose too much the typical FF feel. I don't want it be too much of an action game. I hope it retains the FF RPG style fighting.

Agreed, I never liked KH battle system, I prefer the old style like FF7, FF8, etc etc etc.

DeathKnight
05-10-2006, 09:42 PM
People are SO AFRAID of change. Pfft, I never seen a sheet where it specifies what FF should or should not have.

I COMPLETELY love the cinematic fighting in the trailer, looks smurfing awesome:up:

But if they're going to make fighting more like KH then I DEMAND that at least up to 4 players(humaly corolled) can fight fight as well. Man that'd be awesome.

SiberianKiss
05-10-2006, 10:09 PM
I noticed that, too.

I'm not quite sure how to feel about it. As much as I like to see new things in FF games, I really like the battle system they had for X. I'd like to see a similar system implemented into XIII. Or at least give players the option to use it.

DeathKnight
05-10-2006, 10:20 PM
I noticed that, too.

I'm not quite sure how to feel about it. As much as I like to see new things in FF games, I really like the battle system they had for X. I'd like to see a similar system implemented into XIII. Or at least give players the option to use it.

I agree with you, FFX had the best battle system around, you could switch characters instantly, the "turn" thingy was really cool, and everything had a great flow to it.

But we'll see, my idea (multiplayer) I think deserves a second look:mog:

SiberianKiss
05-10-2006, 10:25 PM

Hmm. Final Fantasy has never struck me as having multiplayer potential. However, seeing as how Final Fantasy XIII Versus is an action oriented game, I could see multiplayer sneaking it's way into that one. As for a traditional RPG? Not too good of an idea to me.

DeathKnight
05-10-2006, 10:28 PM

Hmm. Final Fantasy has never struck me as having multiplayer potential. However, seeing as how Final Fantasy XIII Versus is an action oriented game, I could see multiplayer sneaking it's way into that one. As for a traditional RPG? Not too good of an idea to me.

Yeah, but when I meant multiplayer I didn't mean it like (versus EACH OTHER) I meant, co-op style. up to 4 people can fight alongside you:) , just an option kind of thing. But I do agree, FFX's battle system should be brought back.

one winged shinigami
05-12-2006, 05:41 AM
Ah let's see...

The multiplayer sounds good, actually, you could probably execute combos like in ff tactics, assign roles to the other guys playing, etcetera. (like in tales of symphonia)

And, yeah, FFX's battle system was very well planned. I liked it myself.. The only flaw X-2 had in its battle system was the real time-ness, I had only milliseconds to decide what skill to use. I hope nothing like that happens in XIII, but knowing Square..

Zeromus_X
05-12-2006, 06:18 AM
Yeah, but when I meant multiplayer I didn't mean it like (versus EACH OTHER) I meant, co-op style. up to 4 people can fight alongside you
Actually, alot of the older FFs had an option like that.

Anyway, I'm not very surprised at all at what they do with the battle system. They'd wanted to do a real-time game back in FFX, and they made one like that with FFXII, so it's not surprise anymore. :cat: That doesn't mean that I'm not utterly dissapointed, I'm just not surprised.

Khaotic
05-12-2006, 06:21 AM
People are SO AFRAID of change. Pfft, I never seen a sheet where it specifies what FF should or should not have.

I COMPLETELY love the cinematic fighting in the trailer, looks smurfing awesome:up:

But if they're going to make fighting more like KH then I DEMAND that at least up to 4 players(humaly corolled) can fight fight as well. Man that'd be awesome.
If this was aimed at me, I'm not afraid of change, I just simply enjoy the old battle style compared to something "new". I've tried KH, and I did not like it, so if this turns into a KH type fighting game, I will not like it, battle wise atleast, its quite simple.

theundeadhero
05-12-2006, 06:27 AM
I haven't like any of the kingdom hearts games. For me FFX-2 had the best battle system. I loved the speed.

Millia Billia
05-12-2006, 12:32 PM
I haven't like any of the kingdom hearts games. For me FFX-2 had the best battle system. I loved the speed.
I couldn't agree more. If that game had any redeeming quality (I'm one of the few that actually liked the game), it was it's superior battle system.

Where is this trailer everyone is watching?

DeathKnight
05-12-2006, 04:55 PM
I couldn't agree more. If that game had any redeeming quality (I'm one of the few that actually liked the game), it was it's superior battle system.

Where is this trailer everyone is watching?

You sound very contradicting. And I don't know where you're looking, but there are MILLIONS of FFX-2 fans, they're just overshadowed by FFVII fanboys who drool over Sephiroth and Clould's romance:mog:

And yes FFX-2's battle system could work in XIII.

Dreddz
05-12-2006, 08:54 PM
While im not too keen on it myself, it is being made by the genius behind FFVI, VII, VIII and X, So im not too worried, its being made by the people who gave FF its FF feel we all know and love, so I wouldnt worry too much.

Vivisteiner
05-12-2006, 09:15 PM
I was worried about FFXII's battle system - now I think it looks really good. I think I'll just have to trust SE on this one.

Malboro_Menace
05-13-2006, 11:20 AM
I really like the battle system they had for X. I'd like to see a similar system implemented into XIII. Or at least give players the option to use it.

I agree totally. I love the battle system in FFX.

So have we come thus far? Lol FFXII is yet to even come out in Australia so far. I'm currently saving for it now.

Has the actual storyline been released yet or just the trailer? Because I'd really like to know what it's about.

Khaotic
05-13-2006, 09:35 PM
Just recently typed this in another thread, above this one actually, I'd just like to point out everyone probably knows what I'm about to say, though, I just simply put it into words and possible theories as to what the battle system may be.

As for the trailer, watching it again and paying more attention to it is amazing, that battle system seems very unique. The seemed to have put the old battle system(choosing a command(like fire, fire II, attack, etc) and add in an active motion "fighting scene" instead of taking turns fighting back and forth, however, that could just be a special scene and the battle system could be completely different, but you can still hope I suppose.

The game reminds me of SO:3, "aerial" attack, and the other attack that hit all surrounding enemies, which is when the screen showed a bunch of numbers with "combo", basically, as probably most of you know, there is area attacks, but not just with magic(since we haven't really seen much magic attacks yet) but with kicks and physical type things, which is pretty cool.

Apparently, from what I could see in the trailer, she used a physical attack, and then combined it with "fire" which then spread out with melee contact on her weapon and did the "combo" attack hitting all near targets. So, if I had to guess, I would say the battle system combines options and makes them much more "realistic" so you can basically make your own combos, much like a fighting type game.

Example: Attack > Ice = melee attack with an ice attack hitting all near targets
Attack > Fire = melee attack with an ice attack hitting all near targets(from the trailer)

I watched it yet again to try and gather some more details about the battle system, though there is no definate facts given from the creators, its fine to assume things for now.

What I noticed this time is there is an action type bar

|Attack| |Firaga| |attack| |Vstrike| etc, etc, so.. judging from that, you select options and basically a "movie" plays while you select your actions, depending what you do, things can probably combo, much like in the movie when you see the explosion, which is firaga mixed with either an attack or "vstrike". What happens if you don't insert a command before the "action bar" has another choice to use? I'm not sure, maybe its already pre-set outside of battle and you insert the options you want, say:

|attack| |ice| |aerial| |attack| |ice| |aerial|

and it will continue to use those attacks, however, that seems like it would get quite boring and repeative, so I'm sure there is something I'm not getting, though I'm probably looking into this too much and it is, after all, just a teaser trailer.

Though this is just speculation, and could easily be changed, I would say its safe to assume judging from the movie that this is how the battle system will be, for now.

Slothy
05-13-2006, 10:29 PM
I have to agree with your assessment of it Khaotic. It looked very much to me like a traditional menu style command selection, but with more detailed character and attack animations than previously seen in pretty much any RPG. If that's the way they're going then I can't wait to hear more about how it will work, and see it in action some more. Hopefully Square will give us some details on the combat system soon, rather than keep us wondering for months.

Tohoya
07-15-2006, 07:48 AM
If they can combine such awesome cinematography with compelling gameplay strategy somewhat similar to the FFs, I'll be in love.

I don't agree that this will be completely similar to the old FF battle systems just with a visual upgrade, however. At the very least, they seem to be implementing positioning into the game, much like FFXII did.

feona17
07-22-2006, 05:07 AM
If they have the X-2 type battle system in XIII I swear.. it'd be so freaking awesome. Even if the game sucked, the battles would save it if it had that.

King-Killer
08-01-2006, 01:31 PM
It's going to use the ATB
Active Time Bar, Unlike FFXII who is going to use something different.

And in FFXIII, they say that the vertical standpoint is going to have more of a role than it used to have.

I don't know if FF would be the same without ATB...

It's 80% complete (last month review) so the only thing left I see is the sidequests to add more hours.

I think it'll be awesome!
Seen the Trailer?

Jessweeee♪
08-01-2006, 10:26 PM
I love them all!:love:

Yar
09-11-2006, 11:30 PM
My beloved ATB, will you ever return? I enjoyed I CTB from FFX also. FFXII is pushing it but it looks more like FFXI than I originally thought. X-2 was the best ATB. I don't think I'll be buying FFXIII.

TidusMaster
10-30-2006, 02:21 AM
Yeah, but when I meant multiplayer I didn't mean it like (versus EACH OTHER) I meant, co-op style. up to 4 people can fight alongside you
Actually, alot of the older FFs had an option like that.

Anyway, I'm not very surprised at all at what they do with the battle system. They'd wanted to do a real-time game back in FFX, and they made one like that with FFXII, so it's not surprise anymore. :cat: That doesn't mean that I'm not utterly dissapointed, I'm just not surprised.

YES!!! FF9 had this option!! you could set the controllers to diff characters! it was smurfing awesome!!!

pantsofpower
11-12-2006, 08:15 AM
From what I understand, XIII is going to be more like your standard Final Fantasy (I am pretty sure I saw the letters ATB somewhere in the trailer), and XIII Versus is going to be more actiony, a la Kingdom Hearts. (I believe that the KH team are actually the ones making Versus.)