PDA

View Full Version : Windows Update

Moon Rabbits
05-11-2006, 05:33 AM
I just reformatted and installed a clean Windows XP. For the past few months, ever since I started using windows XP, I've tried to use windows Update but when I click the "Express" button on the website it begins a scan with the green bar and all...but it just keeps going and going. This is bad because I realized how vulnerable my computer is without SP2, and there doesnt seem to be a way to obtain other than through windows update.

Samuraid
05-11-2006, 07:32 AM
Here you go:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

You can download the SP2 installer completely then run it on your computer. The install file is perfectly valid for single computer installations, but it may take a bit of time to download.

Shoeberto
05-11-2006, 12:55 PM
Also, if your copy of Windows isn't legit, the whole WGA thing will keep you from updating, though it'll tell you straight-up that your copy has been found to be pirated. Just sayin'.

Moon Rabbits
05-11-2006, 02:39 PM
What if it's a 'backed-up' (>.>) copy of a legit Windows XP install disc I used?

EDIT: Also, can a firewall interfere with Windows Update??

bipper
05-11-2006, 03:25 PM
your fine. Its the Key and registration they care about.

Yamaneko
05-11-2006, 05:44 PM
Also, if your copy of Windows isn't legit, the whole WGA thing will keep you from updating, though it'll tell you straight-up that your copy has been found to be pirated. Just sayin'.
There are ways to bypass that. ;)

Moon Rabbits
05-11-2006, 07:34 PM

I've tried and they've all failed.

Also, when I run Windows Update the only thing it finds for me to update (in custom and express) is "Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1", and when I try and install it, it fails everytime.

Why won't it realize that I'm running on WindowsXP SP1?

Endless
05-11-2006, 11:13 PM

I've tried and they've all failed.

Also, when I run Windows Update the only thing it finds for me to update (in custom and express) is "Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1", and when I try and install it, it fails everytime.

Why won't it realize that I'm running on WindowsXP SP1?

You need a tool to clean the file that keeps failing (I believe it's on MS' site, in fact), then install the workaround.