The SymantecTM AutoFix Tool encountered a problem

The SymantecTM AutoFix Tool cannot test your computer unless your computer has:

* Internet Explorer Version 5.5 or higher
* Security settings which allow ActiveX controls and JavaScript
* Windows 98, ME, 2000, or XP operating system
* 250 MHz processor or higher
* 32 MB of memory or higher

--

I suspect I get this error (in firefox) because the norton autofix tool abuses IE security issues to 'solve' my problem. Interesting...

Normally I'd solve this by downloading another program to do my AV but this is an office PC and I don't have that much freedom.

><

Discuss related topics.

Levian
05-11-2006, 01:44 PM
It's funny how this is only a problem if you're not using IE.

Raistlin
05-11-2006, 04:07 PM
Only because IE is deeply rooted into the OS (which is retarded) and Norton, as PG says, probably exploits some of IE's own security issues. :p

Shaun
05-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Would you normally pay for this, or is it like HouseCall or whatever it's called?

Shoden
05-11-2006, 04:45 PM
Norton always sucked, IE has sucked before mankind came to be!
If I were you I would get a gun hold it up the the guy who manages the computers and say "put some god damn decent antiviral and web browsing software on the computers FFS!" It should work, if it fails, then err, he'd probably grass on ya or you'd get caught on CCTV...

Old Manus
05-11-2006, 04:50 PM
Norton Antivirus is useless. Don't use it.

Peegee
05-11-2006, 06:18 PM
Can't be helped guys.

Anyway I am stupid -- I can reinstall the software from the office.

sigh.

XxSephirothxX
05-11-2006, 09:11 PM
Yeah, Norton is an absolute piece of crap. At one point, I had a few nasty Trojans on my old desktop, and Norton's scan wouldn't do a thing about them. I ran Panda's free online scan and it fixed the problem for me. :p I'd use IE before I relied on Norton Antivirus again.

Yamaneko
05-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Why do people even use antivirus software? If you're afraid of getting viruses then you're visititng the wrong websites.

Samuraid
05-12-2006, 01:29 AM
I have yet to have any issues with Norton Antivirus (been using corporate licensed editions for a few years now).

And the fact that some websites require IE is sad, but it may simply mean that they depend on VB script which FireFox doesn't support in general.

Peegee
05-13-2006, 01:40 AM
I had to uninstall/reinstall it. The service didn't want to start.

Why would a webpage need to run VB script? That seems too intrusive to me.

Millia Billia
05-13-2006, 01:46 AM
I use both those programs and that's never happened...