PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Wii takes over E3!

Tidus Andronicus
05-12-2006, 04:24 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/11/AR2006051101613.html

Nintendo's Wii steals show at expo

By Kemp Powers
Reuters
Thursday, May 11, 2006; 7:39 PM

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Nintendo Co. Ltd.'s (7974.OS) new Wii video game console, considered the underdog in the console wars because it lacks the high-definition graphics and multimedia features of its rivals, is stealing the show at this week's Electronic Entertainment Expo trade show.

The wait to try out the Wii at E3 pushed past four hours on Thursday afternoon, while the wait for hands-on time with Sony Corp.'s (6758.T) PlayStation 3 was barely 30 minutes. Both consoles will hit the market later this year, though the Wii is expected to cost much less than rival consoles.

The Wii (pronounced "we") uses a motion-sensor enabled controller that looks like a TV remote and allows users to direct action on the screen by wielding it like a sword or swinging it like a baseball bat, tennis racket or golf club.

"It's basically a whole different thing from anything I've seen before," said Josef Faulkner, who had been waiting in line for three hours to get his hands on Wii. He still had an hour to go. "This is definitely the biggest thing here."

Faulkner and other attendees agreed that the unique controller is what is drawing people to the Wii.

Unlike other next-generation consoles, Wii doesn't sport high-definition graphics or make any promises of being a multimedia entertainment hub, but it promises a unique, fun experience new to video games.

And while the company insists that Wii is not a direct competitor to powerful new game consoles like the upcoming Playstation 3 and Microsoft Corp.'s (MSFT.O) Xbox 360, there is no doubt that it has stolen much of other consoles' thunder.

"You have to play (Wii) in order to understand what it is," said Don James, Nintendo's executive vice president of operations. James said the company knew that lots of people would be drawn to Wii, but he was surprised by the sheer numbers. He said that after 3:00 p.m. Pacific Time (22:00 GMT) they had to stop allowing people into the line because there was no way they would be able to see the console before the convention center closed three hours later.

"I didn't think the line was going to go around the whole convention center," said James.

The enduring image of the show might end up being the enormous line, which snakes completely around Nintendo's floor space. A security guard estimated that 1,500 to 2,000 people have been in the line at any given time.

Matt Rogers and Steve Bollinger said they waited almost three hours to get their hands on Wii, even though they lined up as soon as the convention center doors opened. After exiting the booth, they said the wait was definitely worth it.

"Nintendo really nailed it," said Rogers.

"They really worked hard to put fun games in this booth," said Bollinger. "Now I know the next thing I'm getting."
Good news for Nintendo. They're console has been stealing the show all week. And if the wait to play it is any indicator, 4-5 hours for Wii versus 5-30 minutes for PS3 or 360, Nintendo is definantly doing awesome now!

I wouldn't say its that surprising though... Dual motion detecting controller with pointing ability, vibration, and speaker on controller! And to top it all off, super popular game titles to play with the Wiimote. Nintendo's attention is well warrented. Finally Nintendo may prove fun and cost, are better than hype and eye candy!

I'd certainly wait all day, maybe longer, just to play Twilight Princess with the Wiimote!

Edit:
I'm just adding a few videos. XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFQz98jAcg8&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ekotaku%2Ecom%2Findex%2Ephp%3Fpage%3D3
The morning stampede to get in line to play the Wii. Angry Sony employees at the end. XD
http://e3.nintendo.com/news/even_on_day_three_the_demand_to_experience_wii_is_/video.html
Nintendo's version of the same thing, this time from the ground! XD Look out!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=B2wjeMGGPik
The line to play Wii, at its longest, 6 hours!
http://e3.nintendo.com/e3media/video_walking_the_wii/video.html
Nintendo's video of the same line, as they close it for the end of the day.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=c_4InHXPHvs
And just for fun, a PS3 crashing! XD

Madame Adequate
05-12-2006, 04:44 AM
New Super Smash Bros. = win for Nintendo. Most of the rest is boring though, I'm much more interested in the PS3 and 360. Warhawk, for example.

Hawkeye
05-12-2006, 05:14 AM
From what I've read, Nintendo may be taking over E3, but it ain't taking over it stocks.

-N-
05-12-2006, 06:06 AM
I wonder if they can mod old school NES games to use the gyro controller ^_^

Lychon
05-12-2006, 06:06 AM
New Super Smash Bros. = win for Nintendo. Most of the rest is boring though, I'm much more interested in the PS3 and 360. Warhawk, for example.

Well, even though I usually agree with you MILF, I'm going to have to say the following: Everything = win for Nintendo because Nintendo is the best company in the interactive entertainment business with the best games and consoles. :D It's no surprise that Nintendo is dominating at E3 once again this year, just like it did last year.

Oh, and don't forget that PS owes its entire existence and foundation to Nintendo. Did I mention that Nintendo is the best?

-LYCHON

KentaRawr!
05-12-2006, 06:33 AM
Dang, and I thought it was only taking over all the message boards I go to. ... Wow.

Zeromus_X
05-12-2006, 06:37 AM
Is it really that surprising?

KentaRawr!
05-12-2006, 06:43 AM
I suppose it's not all that surprising. o.o

Tainted Angel
05-12-2006, 07:26 AM
This is *IT*. If this console died Nintendo would possibly hav edied. It's refreshing to see thas happen. Now, I think Duck Hunt II is what old skool NES gamers wanted to hear about.

The other games arae fun. The backwards compatability is fun.

Cz
05-12-2006, 04:09 PM
Good for Nintendo. This flurry of attention shows that its gambles are paying off, and puts the Wii in a far stronger position than it was pre-show.

Behold the Void
05-12-2006, 04:13 PM
I'm not convinced that Nintendo has suddenly made some drastic gain. I mean sure, I now really want to get Smash Bros. Brawl, but I'd wanted that before. Sure, I'd been intending to pick up a Wii, but then, that intent had always been there, I'm just going to wait until it gets down to around the price of a DS right now, which should be in about a year, consequently around when Brawl comes out.

Nintendo's consistently shown they have a lot of innovation, and that's good. But really, Nintendo releases games at a sluggish pace. I need more than one title a year that could POSSIBLY be decent for me to really enjoy a system.

I don't doubt that it'll be worth getting for a few good titles. But I hardly think its a competitor.

Dreddz
05-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Im sure its because everyone wanted to try out the controller, see how it works etc.

Skarr
05-12-2006, 05:00 PM
Nintendo's all about kicking ass, taking names and playing games. :greenie:

Crossblades
05-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Nintendo always impresses me with the stuff that they show off every year at E3, but this year definitly takes the cake. They showed off SSBB, FFCC:CB, a new Fire Emblem game, etc. So yeah, I was definitly impressed this year with what Nintendo had to offer:)

Tidus Andronicus
05-12-2006, 10:07 PM
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/e306-clips-e3-morning-stampede-173469.php

We sent our intrepid videographers Kathleen and Mark to capture the E3 crowd as it streamed through the West Hall's doors first thing this morning. The Playstation 3 booth's on the left and the Nintendo booth on the right; check out where all—and we do mean ALL—the foot traffic's going.
XD Well, there we have it. Proof that Nintendo is the MUST see at E3 this year.
How much we willing to bet that at least half of those people have already played with the controller on previous days? :p

BTW, are those really frustrated Sony staff at the end of the clip? XD If so, even more hillarious!

Chris
05-12-2006, 11:23 PM
Well, since they were presenting the new POKéMON games there, I guess I wouldn't mind running for my life. xD? Anyways, I can't wait to see the trailers to POKéMON Mysterious Dungeon and Diamond/ Pearl.

Dreddz
05-12-2006, 11:38 PM
Dont you ever give up, so what if Nintendo are getting alot of attention, dosent prove there any better than the PS3 or Xbox, dosent mean there more popular, and dosent mean that the Wii is any good....

Tidus Andronicus
05-12-2006, 11:46 PM
Seems Nintendo is so proud of the stampede that they posted it on their own site! XD

http://e3src.nintendo.com/news/even_on_day_three_the_demand_to_experience_wii_is_/

Psychotic
05-13-2006, 12:30 AM
Yeah, hi Tidus Andronicus. I can see you're obviously very excited about how popular the Wii is at E3, but there really is no need to make a new thread which pretty much says the same thing as your old one.

Shoden
05-13-2006, 12:33 AM
Mind control mechanisms man. It fries your bloody brain to bits, even the PS3 has it, Sony don't activate it til the last minute.

ZeZipster
05-13-2006, 01:59 AM
Honestly, I'm not psyched about the Wii at all. With out third-party developers, Nintendo doesn't interest me.

At all.

KentaRawr!
05-13-2006, 02:45 AM
Honestly, I'm not psyched about the Wii at all. With third-party developers, Nintendo doesn't interest me.

At all.

Half Fix'd.

Zeromus_X
05-13-2006, 05:06 AM
Nintendo likes making games, not whoring their console up to the multimedia pimp, so to speak. :cat: I like that.

Madame Adequate
05-13-2006, 05:17 AM
Well, even though I usually agree with you MILF, I'm going to have to say the following: Everything = win for Nintendo because Nintendo is the best company in the interactive entertainment business with the best games and consoles. :D It's no surprise that Nintendo is dominating at E3 once again this year, just like it did last year.

Last year? Last year's E3 was dominated by the announcement of the next-gen consoles. I clearly remember being interested in the PS3 and 360, not the Revolution. In fact, had it even been announced then? I can't even remember.

The Wii, like every Nintendo console since I can remember, has a handful of very awesome games, but never half so many as their rivals have. I could name 20 awesome PS2 games, probably the same number for the X-Box, and not more than three or four for the GC. And Resident Evil 4 is now on the PS2, soo... yeah.

Halo 3, MGS4, Warhawk, Burning Crusade, and the news about GTA IV were where the cool was at. SSBB is pretty much all the Wii has, hardly worth it.

And of course, pretty much everything, even the Master Chief, was pwnd by Spore. That's the game of the year, right there.

FallenAngel411
05-13-2006, 05:19 AM
Nintendo has some nice games, but Sony has always provided more that I personally enjoy. Since there's only room in my wallet for one console, the PS3 is guaranteed my money. Should I find buried treasure in my backyard, I will surely purchase a Wii as well.

ljkkjlcm9
05-13-2006, 05:32 AM

Last year? Last year's E3 was dominated by the announcement of the next-gen consoles. I clearly remember being interested in the PS3 and 360, not the Revolution. In fact, had it even been announced then? I can't even remember.

The Wii, like every Nintendo console since I can remember, has a handful of very awesome games, but never half so many as their rivals have. I could name 20 awesome PS2 games, probably the same number for the X-Box, and not more than three or four for the GC. And Resident Evil 4 is now on the PS2, soo... yeah.

Halo 3, MGS4, Warhawk, Burning Crusade, and the news about GTA IV were where the cool was at. SSBB is pretty much all the Wii has, hardly worth it.

And of course, pretty much everything, even the Master Chief, was pwnd by Spore. That's the game of the year, right there.

sigh, you're very wrong
my list of GC games

1) Tales of Symphonia
2) Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
3) Super Smash Bros Melee
4) Time Splitters Future Perfect
5) Metroid Prime 2
6) Metroid Prime
7) Zelda Wind Waker
8) X-Men Legends
9) Mario Kart Double Dash
10) Soul Calibur 2
11) F-Zero GX
12) Skies of Arcadia Legends
13) Super Mario Strikers
14) Megaman X Collection
15) Megaman X Command Mission
16) Star Fox Assault
17) Phantasy Star Online Episode 1+2
18) Star Fox Adventure
19) Evolution Worlds
20) Super Mario Sunshine
21) Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
22) Mario Golf
23) Super Monkey Ball 2
24) Megaman Network Transmission
25) Time Splitters 2
26) Gauntlet Dark Legacy
27) Custom Robo
28) Zelda Ocarina of Time + Master Quest
29) 1080 Avalanche
30) Sonic Adventure 2
31) Sonic Heroes
32) Mystic Heroes
33) Bomberman Generation
34) Future Tactics
35) X-Men Legends 2

cut out X-Men legends from the top 13, and you have at least 12 of the best games on ANY system, right there.

Plus the Wii has plenty of good games. Metroid Prime 3, SSBB as you said, Mario Galaxy looks awesome, Zelda Twilight Princess, Red Steel, Fire Emblem Wii, Dragon Quest: "LONG ARSE TITLE" and some others too
list of Wii games
http://www.planetgamecube.com/games.cfm?letter=&ProdType=&System=Wii&Order=PreferredTitle&region=&TimeSpan=&

oh and FallenAngel, my wallet can't afford a PS3 just for a system, I could afford like 3 Wii systems for 1 PS3, so yeah.....

THE JACKEL

KentaRawr!
05-13-2006, 05:36 AM
While I do like the Wii, I do think it's notable that we don't know what the price is yet. It's undoubtedly going to be cheaper than the PS3, of course, but we might only be able to afford 2 Wii's for the price of 1 PS3 instead of 3 for the price of 1 PS3. o.o

ljkkjlcm9
05-13-2006, 05:37 AM
While I do like the Wii, I do think it's notable that we don't know what the price is yet. It's undoubtedly going to be cheaper than the PS3, of course, but we might only be able to afford 2 Wii's for the price of 1 PS3 instead of 3 for the price of 1 PS3. o.o

true, cause it'll be somewhere from 200-300 most likely

THE JACKEL

Tidus Andronicus
05-13-2006, 05:52 AM
Honestly, I'm not psyched about the Wii at all. With out third-party developers, Nintendo doesn't interest me.
Well you'll be happy to know that Nintendo has a lot more 3rd party support now than they have had in a LONG time! ^_~

Nintendo likes making games, not whoring their console up to the multimedia pimp, so to speak. :cat: I like that.
Right on! Nintendo is here to make games! (and Reggie is here to kick arse and take names! XD sorry)
Seriously, at least Nintendo is making a console strictly focused on gaming! Where as Sony and Microsoft want to take over your entertainment system and your computer with their consoles. They're putting a lot of power in their machines tword multimedia, and making the consumer pay for it, even if they don't want it.

Anyway, yah Kentarou, Nintendo said it would definantly be below $299... but knowing that Nintendo always releases their consoles at $200, at least we have hope... but heck even if its $250 I'd say thats a great deal. ^_^;

fantasyjunkie
05-13-2006, 08:50 AM
Well look at the big picture. It's plain Microsoft and Sony really haven't had any fresh ideas, with the exception of making graphics for HDTV's. I have to tip my hat to Nintendo. I hated the name Wii at first but I'm getting used to it, it's not that bad once you get accustomed to it.

GhandiOwnsYou
05-13-2006, 10:44 AM
I'd hate to launch into another huge rant on the Wii. Frankly, it appeals to me about as much as putting a mario sticker on my tv and handing me a remote control.

Secondly, i wouldn't get up at arms about the awesomeness of the Wii and how it's going to be so ridiculously popular. It's new, it's intriguing. if you're at a place where you could A) go look at the even SHINIER graphics on the exact same console and controller you've been playing for, oh, 12 years or B) go try out this freaking wierd new thing that you really have no concept of, of course you're going to try the new jank instead of old hat.

that doesn't mean you're going to drop $300 bucks when it comes in the store. it's one thing to wait a few hours to test it out for free. it's quite another to forego something like the PS3 or 360 which has companies loaded with good developers and game, and excellent familiar hardware, in favor of trying this risky new thing.

And frankly? even my hardened forearms balk at hack and slashing for hours with that damned remote. forget wii.

Tidus Andronicus
05-13-2006, 05:07 PM
I'd hate to launch into another huge rant on the Wii. Frankly, it appeals to me about as much as putting a mario sticker on my tv and handing me a remote control.

Secondly, i wouldn't get up at arms about the awesomeness of the Wii and how it's going to be so ridiculously popular. It's new, it's intriguing. if you're at a place where you could A) go look at the even SHINIER graphics on the exact same console and controller you've been playing for, oh, 12 years or B) go try out this freaking weird new thing that you really have no concept of, of course you're going to try the new jank instead of old hat.

that doesn't mean you're going to drop $300 bucks when it comes in the store. it's one thing to wait a few hours to test it out for free. it's quite another to forego something like the PS3 or 360 which has companies loaded with good developers and game, and excellent familiar hardware, in favor of trying this risky new thing.

And frankly? even my hardened forearms balk at hack and slashing for hours with that damned remote. forget wii.
I'll agree with your first part... It is popular at E3 because its new, and thats the reason so many people want to try it out, cause they've never seen it before... but that still doesn't change the fact that all the people trying it, are loving it! And I certainly don't agree with your last bit... -_-

First of all, the Wii will more likely be $200-250 at launch, and the games wont cost you more than $50 each... Even if you buy 2 games at launch, your still paying less than you would for either other consoles with games.
And second, Nintendo's 1st party games are top-noch, and they have a lot of good 3rd party developers and a lot of great, fun, and new games! Plus their 3rd party support is increasing exponentially with the more info they share about the Wii. And this mass hands on at E3 will only increase that. Not to mention that 3rd party devs that normally stick to Sony and MS, are showing increasing interest to develope for the Wii now.

Nintendo's hardware is very well made, and has the lowest 'out of box' defect rate, and the duribility to stand up to some very heavy beatings, and I don't think I've ever seen a Nintendo product crash, freeze, read error, or anything like that in my life!...
And since the Wii is somewhat based on the gamecube, its easier to develope for than the new architecture of the PS3 is.

If you don't think you can get used to playing with the controller fine... but you should say that, and not just rip on other things that don't deserve ripping on. XD

Tidus Andronicus
05-15-2006, 03:29 AM
Sorry for teh double post, but I had to put this up.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EbZ8ERI4x98
Its another video of the waiting line at the Nintendo booth... but I noticed something new this time.

Watch that video at least to like the middle, at the part with the girls in the wall TVs...
I've never seen that before! I wonder if those were Nintendo's 'booth babes'? and if they are, that was certainly a cleaver use of them!
To talk to the guys waiting in lines... but putting them on TVs? XD how interesting...
Kind of funny what they were talking about too... :p

Malboro_Menace
05-15-2006, 09:36 AM
I think that the new Wii controller is very new and exciting but really its unrealistic. If you're slashing and hacking your hand around you will eventually get tired. Not going to happen on a normal controller. Maybe a sore finger or two but thats all.

As with SSBB this is just like what we see with Xbox 360 and PS3. Super Smash Bros. (a personal favorite of mine) is being revamped. It's like Xbox's Halo and Playstation's Final Fantasy. They're going to need a past best-seller to be used to entice more customers.

How many more people are going to buy the PS3 now because of FFXIII? I for one. And several of my friends.

Nintendo likes making games, not whoring their console up to the multimedia pimp, so to speak. I like that.

The same argument could be made with Mobile/Cell phones. As we update our technology we expect more things out of everyday objects. It's hard to buy a Mobile/Cell phone these days without it having camera, video or internet on stacked into it. Gaming consoles are just doing the same thing. It's come from playing games to doing a whole list of things like playing DVD/CD's, looking at photos, playing over the internet etc etc etc.

Back to the Wii, if I had the money I'll buy one but my pooled money is still going to be put towards the PS3, no matter how much it cost.

Sorry for my rant :p (I am a slightly new member) but I felt I needed to say it.

Tidus Andronicus
05-15-2006, 12:50 PM
meh... why do people still maintain that 'your arm will get tired' argument?
The controller really doesn't take much movement to use correctly, and you really don't have to be standing up in your living room, flailing your arms wildly to play correctly... But in some situations its more fun to play as if it was real.

Nintendo choose to show people playing with exagerated motions in their video/commercial things. Its more fun, and more interesting to look at, than just some guy sitting down moving his hand a little side to side occasionally.

From what I've seen of it so far, the biggest move you have to make in a serious game is a sword swing, and its not the full game, only certain parts... and from what I've heard you don't even have to make a full swing, just a motion in the direction you want.
But most games will use it as a mouse, or pointer, and/or just stick certain actions on motions like shacking the nunchaku, or pushing it forward, or doing the same with the Wiimote. Although I'm sure we'll see some really new ways to use it soon... I'm still sure it wont be very hard to use.

It seems no matter how many times time people that have played with the Wiimote, swear that its not tiring... the argument doesn't give up. And if you want my opinion, if your arm gets tired, then thats a sign your not moving it enough to begin with. :p If it really is that tiring to use, then you'll get used to it with time anyway. I'm sure some game could be made as a mini work out, trusting that the player really does move in the exagerated ways.
Playing = Believing

Madame Adequate
05-15-2006, 01:16 PM
meh... why do people still maintain that 'your arm will get tired' argument?
The controller really doesn't take much movement to use correctly, and you really don't have to be standing up in your living room, flailing your arms wildly to play correctly... But in some situations its more fun to play as if it was real.

Because I've been playing lightgun games since I was about 7 years old, and I can tell you it makes you tired after probably 15-20 minutes.

1) Tales of Symphonia
2) Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
3) Super Smash Bros Melee
4) Time Splitters Future Perfect
5) Metroid Prime 2
6) Metroid Prime
7) Zelda Wind Waker
8) X-Men Legends
9) Mario Kart Double Dash
10) Soul Calibur 2
11) F-Zero GX
12) Skies of Arcadia Legends
13) Super Mario Strikers
14) Megaman X Collection
15) Megaman X Command Mission
16) Star Fox Assault
17) Phantasy Star Online Episode 1+2
18) Star Fox Adventure
19) Evolution Worlds
20) Super Mario Sunshine
21) Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
22) Mario Golf
23) Super Monkey Ball 2
24) Megaman Network Transmission
25) Time Splitters 2
26) Gauntlet Dark Legacy
27) Custom Robo
28) Zelda Ocarina of Time + Master Quest
29) 1080 Avalanche
30) Sonic Adventure 2
31) Sonic Heroes
32) Mystic Heroes
33) Bomberman Generation
34) Future Tactics
35) X-Men Legends 2

Dude, at least a third of those are multi-platform games, and when a game is multi-platform the X-Box version is always, always the best. Fastest loading, sharpest graphics, most convenient to use (Due to in-built nigh-infinite memory capacity.), and until they made them smaller, the best controllers as well. Luckily I still have a large one, but the right trigger sticks these days, so it can be a little difficult to use sometimes... Anyway point is, the only reason to get a GC would be games, because it's pretty inferior to the X-Box in other ways, and inferior to the PS2 in others. But there really aren't that many games worth having for the GC. I doubt there will be for the Wii.

Also I don't see how you can make a list like that without having Pikmin on it. Now that really is Nintendo innovation. That's what Miyamoto should be praised for, not Mario and Zelda.

From what I've seen of it so far, the biggest move you have to make in a serious game is a sword swing, and its not the full game, only certain parts... and from what I've heard you don't even have to make a full swing, just a motion in the direction you want.
But most games will use it as a mouse, or pointer, and/or just stick certain actions on motions like shacking the nunchaku, or pushing it forward, or doing the same with the Wiimote. Although I'm sure we'll see some really new ways to use it soon... I'm still sure it wont be very hard to use.

So wait, they make this awesome, amazing, homaigawrdaren'tNintendothebest new control method, and then they barely use it? Guess I can see why they don't call it the Revolution anymore =/

Tidus Andronicus
05-15-2006, 01:32 PM
So wait, they make this awesome, amazing, homaigawrdaren'tNintendothebest new control method, and then they barely use it? Guess I can see why they don't call it the Revolution anymore =/
Don't be an arse about it, you know what I ment. -_-
All I was saying is that small rist movements can equal full arm sword swings... Which still has an immersive feel to it, but doesn't wear you out... And if it makes you tired, you'll get used to it, just like people do with a computer mouse... that used to tire my rist out, after an intense game, but not anymore. But you can still swing wildly if you want too, for added fun. XD

Also, lightgun games are still different than what Nintendo's Wiimote does... with a lightgun you usually have to aim at the screen don't you? and there isn't an 'always on' cursor on the screen... at least for the ones i've played, so you can't tell what your aiming at unless you hold it at eye lvl and actually aim. And holding the lightgun at eye lvl with the TV to aim, can be very very tiring! I know that... try holding your arm out in front of you for 10 minutes and it gets hard... But you don't have to do that with the Wiimote! You can easilly rest your arm, on your lap or armrest or whatever, because it doens't have to be at eye lvl to aim. This can make it a lot less tiring, even when occasionally you have to move your arm/rist a bit.

KentaRawr!
05-15-2006, 07:31 PM
Standing up and flailing your arms around isn't exactly what you need to do judging by the games shown off at E3. The only games that seem to require you to stand up so far are WarioWare and the Sports Games.o_o

However, this seems to be turning into a debate that could easily go in the Wii Thread. Or perhaps the very piece of information shown could go in the Wii Thread. o.o

ZeZipster
05-15-2006, 08:18 PM
I think that the new Wii controller is very new and exciting but really its unrealistic. If you're slashing and hacking your hand around you will eventually get tired.

That and most people probably won't want to look like dumbasses. Dare I say the crowd that doesn't play videogames is more self-conscience? Seriously if Nintendo thinks this is going to draw in more people because it's more interactive I have just three words for them: Dance Dance Revolution. It's interactive, but do you know why people don't play it? Because you look like a dumbass when you do, especially starting off. Maybe it's not so bad alone, but even then you'll feel pretty pathetic. I don't think it's that different, but I guarantee the same arguments are going to come up.

"LOOK I CAN SIMULATE FISHING"
"LOOK I CAN GO OUT AND ACTUALLY FISH YOU RETARD."

Malboro_Menace
05-15-2006, 09:54 PM
And what about the really unco people, which is alot of gamers themselves. (not stating anyone here is just wider gaming community)

It's interactive, but do you know why people don't play it? Because you look like a dumbass when you do, especially starting off. Maybe it's not so bad alone, but even then you'll feel pretty pathetic. I don't think it's that different, but I guarantee the same arguments are going to come up.

Exactly what I was gonna say. Why get tired and look like a dumbass when you can probably play the same game using a normal console? Even if it does cost more? Jeez the prices would eventually go down.

While some people will argue this forever it stands as fact: It's just plain unrealistic.

Tidus Andronicus
05-15-2006, 11:46 PM
I'm tired of arguing the same opinion over and over again... for now...

People said the DS was unrealistic... yet its going strong, much stronger than the PSP. I'm willing to bet people wont care what they look like, as long as their having fun... And you wont get tired playing with the Wiimote either. -_-

The Wii may seem unrealistic now to some people, but if it succeeds, then that doesn't matter.

Dreddz
05-15-2006, 11:48 PM
Dont get too confident that the Wii is going to be a hit, theres alot going against the console which will make Nintendo suffer.

ZeZipster
05-15-2006, 11:56 PM
I'm tired of arguing the same opinion over and over again... for now...

People said the DS was unrealistic... yet its going strong, much stronger than the PSP. I'm willing to bet people wont care what they look like, as long as their having fun... And you wont get tired playing with the Wiimote either. -_-

The Wii may seem unrealistic now to some people, but if it succeeds, then that doesn't matter.

Nintendo has been the dominant force in handhelds for a very long time. You saying their success makes the DS a good handheld is about the same as saying Microsoft makes good operating systems. They don't. You can sit here and tell me that Nintendo is different from the 50 different attempts at VR and motion sensing that we've been seeing in arcades off and on for the past 10 years but it really isn't. It'll probably have about the same success, too.

Agent Proto
05-16-2006, 12:23 AM
Compared to PSP sales, the DS is faring better.

ZeZipster
05-16-2006, 12:58 AM
Compared to PSP sales, the DS is faring better.

This is true. But what I was saying was sales don't mean much when you have a monopoly on the market. Nintendo has been unrivaled in handhelds for years now, and I honestly don't think it's due to quality. Just like MS Windows. I mean I'm not going to sit here and say I know all the evils of Nintendo, they're a pretty legitimate company, but I honestly don't think the DS could have failed when the alternative was the PSP.

KentaRawr!
05-16-2006, 01:12 AM
Dont get too confident that the Wii is going to be a hit, theres alot going against the console which will make Nintendo suffer.

What would that be? o.o

Dreddz
05-16-2006, 09:25 AM

What would that be? o.o
Most casual gamers look at the power of a console, the Wii's graphics pale in comparison to the PS3's or 360's. People consider next generation as better graphics, and hell, I want my games to look good. So most people will buy another console instead.
The people like us who go on the net to research this stuff can see that the Wii has promise, in which we know what the Wii's controller can do, and how it is going to work. But most gamers dont, so if they saw the controller knowing nothing about it, they might see it as gimmicky, and wont bother with the controller. Some dont like change either. The odd remote design turns off alot of people.
Nintendo still havent changed with there audience, which is the younger generation. Seeing as most gamers are said to be in there 20's-30's, they would rather be playing more mature games. IMO, this is why the Gamecube didnt do so well. And I think this will definately
affect the Wii. Lastly, people still hate the name, although most have looked the other way and dont care. Im sure there still a few who dislike the idea of calling there console urine, so if they were stuck between say a PS3 or Wii, some would dish out for a PS3, just by name alone.
After all this though, the PS3 and 360 still have there faults, Price is probably Sonys biggest. But im still sure they know what there doing. They have even said that they dont expect alot of people to buy there system straight away, so they expect loss. Im sure major price reductions will happen in the 6 months after launch. And at the end of the day, most people who bitch about the PS3 will be buying one, so lots will still buy Sonys console, and with the Software promised, lots of people will buy the Software. So after Sony's shakey start, come 2 years after launch, they will be at the top again. This is just my opinion...of course.

Tidus Andronicus
05-16-2006, 12:30 PM
Most casual gamers look at the power of a console, the Wii's graphics pale in comparison to the PS3's or 360's. People consider next generation as better graphics, and hell, I want my games to look good. So most people will buy another console instead.
The people like us who go on the net to research this stuff can see that the Wii has promise, in which we know what the Wii's controller can do, and how it is going to work. But most gamers dont, so if they saw the controller knowing nothing about it, they might see it as gimmicky, and wont bother with the controller. Some dont like change either. The odd remote design turns off alot of people.
Nintendo still havent changed with there audience, which is the younger generation. Seeing as most gamers are said to be in there 20's-30's, they would rather be playing more mature games. IMO, this is why the Gamecube didnt do so well. And I think this will definately
affect the Wii. Lastly, people still hate the name, although most have looked the other way and dont care. Im sure there still a few who dislike the idea of calling there console urine, so if they were stuck between say a PS3 or Wii, some would dish out for a PS3, just by name alone.
After all this though, the PS3 and 360 still have there faults, Price is probably Sonys biggest. But im still sure they know what there doing. They have even said that they dont expect alot of people to buy there system straight away, so they expect loss. Im sure major price reductions will happen in the 6 months after launch. And at the end of the day, most people who bitch about the PS3 will be buying one, so lots will still buy Sonys console, and with the Software promised, lots of people will buy the Software. So after Sony's shakey start, come 2 years after launch, they will be at the top again. This is just my opinion...of course.
I honestly don't believe that applies anymore.
Graphics have gotten to the point where the noticable leap between generations... isn't all that noticable.
Granted, Sony will hype PS3 ads till no tomorrow... but their price point will still get in the way. $200 vs $600 for 'casual' gaming is a pretty easy choice.

Frankly I can only see more of the 'hardcore' and 'gotta have it' fans actually going out and spending that much for a PS3.

In this situation, even the 360 has the advantage, considering its cheaper than PS3, and still has very nice graphics. If graphics is all you care about, and you have no interest in trying new gameplay that might actually be a lot of fun... fine.

Keep in mind though, when you connect any of the next gen consoles to a Standard Def TV... which the vast majority of people still have! (not their fault, they just can't afford HD yet)... You really wont notice much of a difference in graphics. Trust me. So far the only difference I've noticed, is in the style of graphics... and Nintendo's has appealed to me far greater than the others have. Plug the consoles into an HDTVs, and really all you get is sharper, crisper images. Even the Wii has enhanced def, but not high def.
If you want an example of good Wii graphics watch this video! (http://media.revolution.ign.com/media/748/748588/vid_1505107.html)
Also keep in mind that the Wii's graphics card is still, not quite finallized... and what we saw at E3 was hardly finallized games... most of the graphics in those demo games like the sports stuff, were mearly stock models so they could have something playable to show off the controller. Although I could be wrong. (keep in mind that major games are close to being finalized, but will keep being touched up until launch obviously.)

Either way, all I'm saying is that in this day and age, graphics are no longer the major feature people will be looking at... and even if it is, cost will be a much bigger one!

If you want my opinion, Nintendo IS changing their reputation as a kiddy company. True, while they don't have a lot of games with blood and gore, their 3rd parties do (RE4). They don't have to focus on mature titles, to be considered not kiddy. -_-
This one really bums me... Nintendo's strategy right now, is to appeal to ALL gammers, kids and adults alike... hardcore, casual, and non-gamers alike... Frankly, this means they have to stay away from the gore and the violence. Kids shouldn't see that much of it... and even lots of adults don't want to see that junk. If you ask me, Nintendo is now going to attract even more players, than if they did make a lot of gorey games. And at least many of Nintendo's games have deep enough story lines to attract not just kids, but also adults... some of the games I am seeing have quite mature plots, but thankfully just leaving out the bloody stuff, which I am already desenseitized to...

All that really matters, is how fun the console and its games will be. And it is this which Nintendo is making available by the barrel full, for a lot less than everyone else.

Dreddz
05-16-2006, 06:06 PM
BTW, the price for the Wii hasnt be annouced from Nintendo yet, people who believe that the console is going to be $199 are expecting too much from Nintendo, if Nintendo were set on releasing all there consoles for the same price, they would of mentioned the price at E3. They didnt because its not that simple anymore, next gen gaming consoles are not just about gaming anymore. Nintendo's consoles were cheap because they were all about gaming, the Wii isnt this time. With the whole motion sensor, emulation and other media players that have been put into the Wii, Nintendo are taking a big risk releasing it at $199. The only way they could get themselves a profit is if there sure that lots of people will buy there software, if they only manage selling the amount of consoles that they did with the GC, expect Nintendo's doors to close very soon.
Lets face it, PS2 outsold the GC and Xbox. Most people have been accustomed to there games, so yeah, they wont want to play Nintendo games, so why would they buy there console ?
As with graphics, graphics do mean alot, so thats on PS3's side.
I also wouldnt get your hopes up about the controller, motion sensor has been done long ago. And it hasnt always been successful, most motion sensor games were frankly crap. Nintendo want all there titles to be using the motion sensor function. I believe that Nintendo can produce some quality titles, but I think there is going to be a heap of really poor, bad titles. If you read all opinions on the people playing Wii games at E3, not all are positive. I think Nintendo have definately worked hard on the new controller, so it will play better then motion sensor games before it.

Tidus Andronicus
05-16-2006, 06:33 PM
NINTENDO is giving us a system thats just about gaming... I didn't say anything about MS, that wants to take over your computer, and Sony, that wants to take over your living room... -_- Nintendo is providing us with a system thats just for games, and is affordable and fun! Vconsole is a gamming feature, at least I would say so. And there isn't really anything else on Wii thats actually NOT for gamming. No new disc format that they want to force on the market... No overdone power or HD which 90% of the people buying it can't use anyway...
Motion detection has been done by other companies, yes... but not by Nintendo before, to this degree. Other attempts, have hardly ever been successful, due to poor quality... and lack of anything fun to play using motion detection. Nintendo has the ability to change that.

And I'd bet my gamecube that Nintendo's console will be between $200 and $250... based on what I've been told. ^_~ So we'll see Dreddz!

Remember, Nintendo is magical and it will happen! :p

Dreddz
05-16-2006, 06:48 PM
Im sure people would rather buy a PS3 because it has alot more features than a Wii, its 4 for the price of 1. Even if Wii is just about gaming, its not like its gaming experiences are going to be any more fun than a PS3's.
Finally, A pro's opinion (http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/03/22/ps3/index.php)

ljkkjlcm9
05-16-2006, 09:15 PM
Im sure people would rather buy a PS3 because it has alot more features than a Wii, its 4 for the price of 1. Even if Wii is just about gaming, its not like its gaming experiences are going to be any more fun than a PS3's.
Finally, A pro's opinion (http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/03/22/ps3/index.php)
that's accurate? I'm sorry but that's crap.

You're wrong if you think any casual gamer would dish out 600$ for a system. And may I note, one of the best selling games of all time, for any system, and #1 on GC, is having the next one made on the Wii, and it's going to use the GC controllers. So, it's not gonna alienate anyone. Everyone loves SSB, admit it. That's going to cause a lot of sales.

Nintendo has always been #2 in sales at the very least. There have been years that GC have outsold PS2's. I find it very hard to think that 360 will outsell the Wii until 2010. Graphics do not make games, at all. The only thing that convinces me to buy any other system is what games are on it. Don't care about the graphics, which is better and what not, it depends on the games. PS2 definitely had a lot of good games, but the best ones, did not appeal to me. GTA, I honestly hate, I think it's retarded. I own a GC, one brother owns an X-box, the other a PS2. I have by far more good games on my system than they do. There are a lot of good games for every system, but it depends on what appeals to people. And ask anyone, 250... 300$ appeals far more than 600$. I can buy a system and 6 games for the price of a PS3. I know exactly what six games too. Red Steel, Metroid Prime 3, Dragon Quest, FF:CC, Zelda: TP, and most likely Wii sports.

but with the list of all the titles on the system... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_games

how can you not be interested in the Wii?

THE JACKEL

Tidus Andronicus
05-16-2006, 11:28 PM
that's accurate? I'm sorry but that's crap.

You're wrong if you think any casual gamer would dish out 600$ for a system. And may I note, one of the best selling games of all time, for any system, and #1 on GC, is having the next one made on the Wii, and it's going to use the GC controllers. So, it's not gonna alienate anyone. Everyone loves SSB, admit it. That's going to cause a lot of sales.

Nintendo has always been #2 in sales at the very least. There have been years that GC have outsold PS2's. I find it very hard to think that 360 will outsell the Wii until 2010. Graphics do not make games, at all. The only thing that convinces me to buy any other system is what games are on it. Don't care about the graphics, which is better and what not, it depends on the games. PS2 definitely had a lot of good games, but the best ones, did not appeal to me. GTA, I honestly hate, I think it's retarded. I own a GC, one brother owns an X-box, the other a PS2. I have by far more good games on my system than they do. There are a lot of good games for every system, but it depends on what appeals to people. And ask anyone, 250... 300$ appeals far more than 600$. I can buy a system and 6 games for the price of a PS3. I know exactly what six games too. Red Steel, Metroid Prime 3, Dragon Quest, FF:CC, Zelda: TP, and most likely Wii sports.

but with the list of all the titles on the system... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_games

how can you not be interested in the Wii?

THE JACKAL
I'd like to add that the Zelda games are also great sellers, obviously... Ocarina of Time set records for the most preordered game ever, then Wind Waker broke that record by a mile... I wouldn't be surprised if Twilight Princess is getting the same number of preorders. ^_^;

But on topic again... How much E3 will reflect what actually happens... has yet to be seen... but you can't just say that its going to fail... It will AT LEAST do better than the gamecube. (Although surely it will do even better than that) XD
Nintendo is primed for a great new console, and seems to be getting a lot of possitive opinions from everyone that gets to try the controller. Playing = Believing (http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/board/message?board.id=revolution&message.id=1089278) <- Read some of that if your willing.
Just because some people(that haven't played it) think its a bad idea... doesn't mean it is... which is why I feel the DS is a good example for this situation... yes its a handheld, not a console... but the idea behind it still holds in the console market too.

BTW Dreddz, that article was written in March, and a LOT has changed since then. XD If the guy who wrote that had known the PS3 was $600, and that Nintendo has so much to offer with their console... I think his opinion would be drastically different...
Oh and how can you say the PS3 has more to offer than the Wii? Care to explain, and justify that with unique features? Cause for $600 the PS3 better have a mountain of unique features that you can only get on the PS3... :p

Agent Proto
05-17-2006, 06:06 AM

Your pro's opinion's about two months old, and this was before Sony announced the price. Do you expect that same pro to hold this same opinion about the PS3?

LOL, oops, seems like Tidus taken care of what I said. But it's still remains, a lot of developers really love the Wii and the controller, so that would mean more third party support for the Wii. And that's always a good thing. :)

BatChao
05-17-2006, 08:05 AM
I'm not gonna say that the Wii will be able to instantly take over the gaming industry, because I know it won't. Nintendo has a HUGE uphill battle awaiting them. They don't want to compete with MS or Sony, but they inevitably will (much like they didn't want DS to compete with PSP). They are going to go head on with machines that are much more powerful than itself, and let's face it... that's what the public looks at the most: graphics. However, let's not forget the untapped marked of casual and non-gamers that Nintendo is also trying to attract. They have succesfully broken into this market with the DS... I mean... my mom plays the DS. My MOM, who has never played a game in her life. She got totally confused just when I was teaching how to move with one analog stick and rotate the camera with another with the PS2 controller, but she can instantly pick up and play DS games like Brain Age and Nintendogs. Plus, she likes them too (she tells me to leave my DS at home when I go to work so she can play!). This is a huge target for Nintendo and if the DS is any indication, they may succeed. I showed my mom the article in TIME about Wii and she said she thought it was really great idea and she'd definitely pick one up for herself.

Also, I'm not going to lie and say that the controller can be picked up and learned instantly. There is a little learning curve where you must figure out the sensitivity of the game you are playing. Also, your arms will get more tired than they would if you were playing with a normal controller, but not by much. Forget those promo pictures and videos with people wildly flailing their arms - most games do not require you do do this (except maybe Wario Ware and Wii Sports). I've attached a picture of me playing Red Steel. As you can see, both of my arms are relaxed and in a position not unlike that of when I am holding a normal controller. You can do most motions with a flick of the wrist or minimal arm movement.

As for looking stupid... I don't think that will be an issue considering this is a home console. The only people that will be around you when you are playing are family and friends - people who don't care how stupid you look. And when they see you looking so silly, they might want to try it out as well, which is kinda the point of the Wii anyway.

So yea... those are the reasons why the Wii may not fall flat on its face. Of course everything may go horribly wrong and it could turn into the next Virtual Boy, but somehow I doubt it. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Lionx
05-17-2006, 10:30 AM
For those saying that DS is doing good just becuase Nintendo was in it llonger and is the dominant force, then who the hell was there before Sony? It wasnt Sega. Things can change, and you are just picking pieces that fit that story.

For the casual gamer i find it hard to think that anyone would even look at specs, it would be first and foremost, the price. I today went to some smoothie store that i never went to, i never drank anything there or bought anything, so what do i do? Do i look at the most healiest and most expensive drink there is for 8 dollars? Hell no i get the cheapest one and see if its worth my time and money for a trip back. If you are a casual gamer, or someone thats casual on computers, you dont care what specs those are, you dont even probably KNOW what they mean, so what is the universal langauge here? Price. I am not paying for something i dont know what it is. Dreddz no offense but whatever you say seems too biased to be taken seriously.

As for looking dumb..you look just as dumb going to a fighting game cabinet and mash buttons while the other guy who knows what he is doing kills you for free...besides isnt it un-American or at least un-manly and nerdy to play games anyway? Wasnt it also the same for reading books a while back? That argument is silly, anything can be silly in that regard then. How about playing with a Gameboy or PSP during a car ride? That must also look pretty damn stupid. Do you think its stupid? If not then well keep playing and let no one stop you.

As for Wii, i heard many people including a friend of mine's family being interested in playing it and not one of those guys in there plays games at all or seriously, they are definetly targeting the right market here because frankly everything PS or Xbox screams hardcore that most people outside the market wont give a damn or understand about. I mean its like he did that 56 hit combo or whatever omg! No one outside those who play the game seriously is gonna know wtf you are talking about....but its alot more easier to if you play the Wii IMO because its more easier to comprehend whats going on unlike a series of myraid button presses and joystick/gamepad motions.

Actually nothing against PS3 but i would personally be skeptical to develop for it if i was a company, i mean if its 600 dollars...if no one is gonna buy it for that much then alot of money will be wasted. That and WHAT GAME USES 50 DAMN GIGS OF SPACE? I am not (at least me personally) paying for something i wont use. And i dont use a HDTV, its just a luxury, i dont see why i am going to pay more for a luxury.

Dreddz
05-17-2006, 04:47 PM
Im not against Nintendo, and Im not just arguing because I want Nintendo to fail. Its just the insane optimism that the Wii is getting that ticks me off, none of you have touched a controller, yet you say everything will work fine. When Sony's name is mentioned, everyone screams hate. Why ?
Cause theres a little fanboy in all of us :p

Madame Adequate
05-17-2006, 07:10 PM
Nintendo still havent changed with there audience, which is the younger generation. Seeing as most gamers are said to be in there 20's-30's, they would rather be playing more mature games. IMO, this is why the Gamecube didnt do so well. And I think this will definately affect the Wii. Lastly, people still hate the name, although most have looked the other way and dont care. Im sure there still a few who dislike the idea of calling there console urine, so if they were stuck between say a PS3 or Wii, some would dish out for a PS3, just by name alone.

QFT.

fantasyjunkie
05-17-2006, 08:51 PM
The Wii controller? personally, I enjoy sitting on my couch with a controller in my lap, I'm not sure you can do that with the Wii controller

Elite Lord Sigma
05-17-2006, 09:24 PM
For those saying that DS is doing good just becuase Nintendo was in it llonger and is the dominant force, then who the hell was there before Sony? It wasnt Sega. Things can change, and you are just picking pieces that fit that story.

For the casual gamer i find it hard to think that anyone would even look at specs, it would be first and foremost, the price. I today went to some smoothie store that i never went to, i never drank anything there or bought anything, so what do i do? Do i look at the most healiest and most expensive drink there is for 8 dollars? Hell no i get the cheapest one and see if its worth my time and money for a trip back. If you are a casual gamer, or someone thats casual on computers, you dont care what specs those are, you dont even probably KNOW what they mean, so what is the universal langauge here? Price. I am not paying for something i dont know what it is. Dreddz no offense but whatever you say seems too biased to be taken seriously.

As for looking dumb..you look just as dumb going to a fighting game cabinet and mash buttons while the other guy who knows what he is doing kills you for free...besides isnt it un-American or at least un-manly and nerdy to play games anyway? Wasnt it also the same for reading books a while back? That argument is silly, anything can be silly in that regard then. How about playing with a Gameboy or PSP during a car ride? That must also look pretty damn stupid. Do you think its stupid? If not then well keep playing and let no one stop you.

As for Wii, i heard many people including a friend of mine's family being interested in playing it and not one of those guys in there plays games at all or seriously, they are definetly targeting the right market here because frankly everything PS or Xbox screams hardcore that most people outside the market wont give a damn or understand about. I mean its like he did that 56 hit combo or whatever omg! No one outside those who play the game seriously is gonna know wtf you are talking about....but its alot more easier to if you play the Wii IMO because its more easier to comprehend whats going on unlike a series of myraid button presses and joystick/gamepad motions.

Actually nothing against PS3 but i would personally be skeptical to develop for it if i was a company, i mean if its 600 dollars...if no one is gonna buy it for that much then alot of money will be wasted. That and WHAT GAME USES 50 DAMN GIGS OF SPACE? I am not (at least me personally) paying for something i wont use. And i dont use a HDTV, its just a luxury, i dont see why i am going to pay more for a luxury.

Have I ever told you that you're a genius?

I am looking forward to the Wii. These games may actually give me the first enjoyment I've had in a while. Also, according to what BatChao said, I don't think you'll get tired easily unless you're flailing your arms around sporadically. The main reason that Sony is getting hated on is the whole two package deal, the $500-600 price tag, and the notorious history of the indurability of Sony consoles.

jjjjjat
05-18-2006, 12:15 AM
Developers are fickle. They flock to the console where they have the potential to make the most money. Sony has screwed over their developers, and they won't be putting up with it for long.

Rase
05-18-2006, 12:22 AM
none of you have touched a controller, yet you say everything will work fine.

Also, I'm not going to lie and say that the controller can be picked up and learned instantly. There is a little learning curve where you must figure out the sensitivity of the game you are playing. Also, your arms will get more tired than they would if you were playing with a normal controller, but not by much. Forget those promo pictures and videos with people wildly flailing their arms - most games do not require you do do this (except maybe Wario Ware). I've attached a picture of me playing Red Steel. As you can see, both of my arms are relaxed and in a position not unlike that of when I am holding a normal controller. You can do most motions with a flick of the wrist or minimal arm movement.