PDA

View Full Version : Amano's art

misscleo
05-13-2006, 01:04 AM
I love them. But how does he do it? I mean, what tools does he use (colored pencils, watercolor pencil, ink, or what?)

I want to make good art like his, so can anyone tell me what medium he uses when he drawes the FF characters? I can't tell, maybe someone here with an eye for art can.

rubah
05-13-2006, 03:14 AM
Ink and watercolors primarily, I'd imagine.

But really,t he main thing to remember if you want to emulate his style is 'dreamy' 'unfocused' 'ridiculous detail and frills' and 'random birds'

I prefer nomura's style in just about every way but if that's how you get your kix~

Zeromus_X
05-13-2006, 05:04 AM
Yeah, wtf with the random birds. :cat:

Nomura's design is more solid and realistic, as compared to Amano's sketchy, sometimes surreal style. Although I prefer Amano's style, as I love colourul, dreamy artworks.

Yeah, watercolours and ink, too. Although some of his FFVIII art looks like acrylics to me. :cat:

Roto13
05-13-2006, 05:06 AM
Remember to make everyone albino.

God, I love Yoshitaka Amano!

Zeromus_X
05-13-2006, 05:10 AM
Yes, everyone's lips must be black, and be white as a sheet, unless you have a darker skin colour, and then you'll be painted straight black. (Barret, Zande.) And all females will have blonde hair and all males will have white hair. And did we mention complex clothing decorations?

I also love Amano's style.

misscleo
05-13-2006, 05:30 PM
You all have described it perfectly! Example~

http://millennial-fair.com/entertain/games/images/amano-ff8group1.jpg

Final fantasy VIII albino style::tongue: (is that a soccer ball? but what on earth is tha big thing to the left:confused: )

And yellow- characters wear a lot of yellow.

Nick Schovitz
05-13-2006, 05:57 PM
I haven't seen Amano's art for VIII, and what's Nomura's like?

Sylvie
05-27-2006, 08:05 AM
I think Square let Amano go after VII, and had Nomura take his place, I'm not sure though.

Nomura's works are more solid, and anime-ish. They have a nice choice of color to them and look more like they do in the game.

Amano's work is just simply beautiful. His lack of color makes it very good in fact, and the way he puts details and flowing lines and patterns into the art. Quite magnificent in my opinion. I enjoy the drawing of Firion from FFII (His sword is so flowing and fantasized, its great).

I personally prefer Amano's work over Nomura's, but Nomura does a fine job indeed as well.

Zeromus_X
05-27-2006, 08:21 AM
Yes, Nomura took over as character designer for FFVII, Amano returned for FFIX, and now it just varies.

Amano still does conceptual artwork for the main-numbered games, however.

But y'know, for his FFVII art, it looked like he used Acrylics, instead of Watercolours. Maybe that's just me though...