PDA

View Full Version : Price ranges...

ZeZipster
05-13-2006, 02:16 AM
Wii - $200 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii#Price)
Xbox 360 Core - $300
Xbox 360 Premium - $400
Playstation 3 20GB - $500
Playstation 3 60GB- - $600

Ironic? It seems almost like they had this all planned out. Personally, I think the PS3 has potential to bomb with that hefty pricetag. I mean c'mon, $500, and it's controllers don't even rumble (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Controller). It seriously seems like Sony just wanted and waited for Microsoft and Nintendo to release all of their specs and make sure they had every feature and better hardware. A guide button on the motion sensor controller? Come on! Sure, they succeeded. But what will that mean for all the gamers unable to scrummage up 500$?

DeathKnight
05-13-2006, 02:24 AM
Xbox 360 Core - $300
Xbox 360 Premium - $400

Ironic? It seems almost like they had this all planned out. Personally, I think the PS3 has potential to bomb with that hefty pricetag. I mean c'mon, $500, and it's controllers don't even rumble (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Controller). It seriously seems like Sony just wanted and waited for Microsoft and Nintendo to release all of their specs and make sure they had every feature and better hardware. A guide button on the motion sensor controller? Come on! Sure, they succeeded. But what will that mean for all the gamers unable to scrummage up 500$?

Wii's price will be announce on The TOKYO Game Show, so that link is completely false.

ZeZipster
05-13-2006, 02:30 AM
Xbox 360 Core - $300
Xbox 360 Premium - $400

Wii's price will be announce on The TOKYO Game Show, so that link is completely false.

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know you knew more than Satoru Iwata. I'll just delete this thread now and hope you enlighten us some more with your uncited claims.

Tidus Andronicus
05-13-2006, 06:50 AM
The price tag will be annouced before TGS, don't worry.

Somewhere I read an article just recently that confirmed they will announce it before then... O_o

I would guess, if they plan to have it out in October/November at the latest, they will have to give the pricing out earlier than TGS anyway.

Either way, I expect either $200 or $250... and I have a trusted source that also said they were expecting that price.

Also, I'm pretty sure I heard that Sony is taking out more than just the 40GBs of HDD storage, to justify the $100 drop. From what I remember, they are taking out an HDMI output (or whatever its called) and WiFi?... but dont quote me, I can't find the source at the moment. If its true though, I'd almost say that the -$100 isn't low enough, to justify them taking out THAT much... XD

Dreddz
05-13-2006, 07:35 AM
The Wii isnt going to be cheap, Nintendo got away with having a cheap console because there systems lacked alot of features that the others did. Like a DVD player. It would seem very odd if there Wii console didnt have that feature, so Nintendo can either have a cheap console but lose profit with every console sold, or sell it at a higher price and gain profit.
Nintendo is in a tricky spot, while it got away with it last time, they cant do it again, so they will need more support from us if they want to succeed. If it cant get anymore players as it had with the GC, Nintendo are finished.

fantasyjunkie
05-13-2006, 08:41 AM
PS3 20 and 60 gb? I didn't know they were coming with a hard drive. are they really?
But I just can't shake the opinion that both Sony and Microsoft are just coming out with more of the same, not a big jump like the PS2 and Xbox were over the original Playstation.

Slothy
05-13-2006, 12:36 PM
Personally, I think the PS3 has potential to bomb with that hefty pricetag. I mean c'mon, $500, and it's controllers don't even rumble (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Controller).

I don't even recall a lot of games I've played lately using the rumble feature all that much. It was a neat feature, but it was rarely anything that would make or break a game. The tilt feature has far more gameplay potential, so if rumble has to go, at least they're adding something that could at least lead to new gameplay experiences.

And about the price, it really isn't a tremendous amount more than the Xbox 360 with a hard drive. Given that the average age of gamers is supposed to be in the early to mid twenties, a lot of gamers should be able to pick one up early on, and eventually the price will drop for those with lower incomes/the kiddies. For me personally, the price hits in exactly the range I was expecting, and I will be able to afford one at launch if I so choose. I may wait a little while for a price drop/more reliable hardware, although GTA4 has me itching to get my hands on one.

And where I sit, the PS3 is still the only system that interests me. It's got the series I want to play exclusive to it, as well as the most new titles that are interesting me at the moment. In my opinion it had the most interesting games at E3 for me. The other two consoles have yet to really wow me.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
05-13-2006, 03:42 PM
Xbox 360 Core - $300
Xbox 360 Premium - $400

im definatly getting tht wii

Tidus Andronicus
05-13-2006, 05:34 PM
The Wii isnt going to be cheap, Nintendo got away with having a cheap console because there systems lacked alot of features that the others did. Like a DVD player. It would seem very odd if there Wii console didnt have that feature, so Nintendo can either have a cheap console but lose profit with every console sold, or sell it at a higher price and gain profit.
Nintendo is in a tricky spot, while it got away with it last time, they cant do it again, so they will need more support from us if they want to succeed. If it cant get anymore players as it had with the GC, Nintendo are finished.
Ok, Nintendo is recording record profits right now, so even if they had to take a bit of a loss on the Wii, they could easilly afford too. And after a year or so, they would start seeing major profits again, even with an initial loss.
And besides, all consoles Nintendo has released have been $200 at launch, and have still made them money at launch. Nintendo plans carefully, desiding what features to include, and what to not, so that their price can remain low, and they can still make profit, while giving the consumer something great and new. Even so, I wouldn't expect the console to be over $250, and I'm sure Nintendo know's their fans are thinking this.

They are making it DVD compatable this time, but they still aren't gonna make the consumer pay for something they don't need. Especially now that DVD players are pretty much common in the home these days, and very cheap. Why does your videogame system have to play DVDs? O_o; And if you really need that feature, because for some reason your entertainment system doesn't include a DVD player yet... then Nintendo will sell something like a little USB dongle that you plug into the Wii, that tells it how to read DVDs. Its a simple, and no doubt cheap way to deal with that.

And what makes anyone think the Wii wont sell more than the GameCube? I don't see how anyone could think that it wont at least do that well. Besides, with consumers facing a $600 console, a $400 console, or a $200 console... which one are more parents going to buy for their kids on the holidays? :p
Heck, the Wii is cheap enough, that the kids dont even have to ask for it as a gift... many parents will just get it cause its a cheaper system, and will make an awesome xmas gift!
And when you consider Nintendo's fanbase will all buy it, and they may even accomplish their goals of getting people that don't buy games, to buy it... I doubt highly, that they wont sell more than AT LEAST the GC did. ^_~

Shoeberto
05-13-2006, 05:41 PM
And if you really need that feature, then Nintendo will sell something like a little USB dongle that you plug into the Wii, that tells it how to read DVDs. Its a simple, and no doubt cheap way to deal with that.
Actually, I'd imagine it'll be more of a software upgrade via the 24 service. Something lightweight that you can pay to download - probably not much. A dongle would just seem silly to me, especially since you already have a remote :p

DVD playback really isn't a necessary standard feature anymore.

Nick Schovitz
05-13-2006, 05:44 PM
Wii's cheapest like the Regginator said, so I'll get the Wii although I don't believe the price because Reggie said that he's not revealing the price anywhere until......

ZeZipster
05-13-2006, 06:42 PM
Wow. NOBODY read that link? I feel almost violated...

Nintendo has stated that the Wii will be cheaper than the PS3 and Xbox 360, with the basic Xbox 360 at $299 USD and the basic PS3 at $499. Additionally, Satoru Iwata has said "the price won't be significantly higher than Nintendo's prices have been historically" ($199 for all previous consoles) and that more details can be expected in the summer of 2006.

$200 is an estimate. It's not going to be far off, and if you think it is then you don't know who Satoru Iwata is.

Cid
05-13-2006, 08:17 PM
I"m getting a Wii for sure. It's just a matter of choosing between 360 and PS3.

Erdrick Holmes
05-13-2006, 08:33 PM
Im gonna wait a few years till the PS3's price goes below 250 smackers, by then MGS4 and VF5 will be in bargain bins.

Khaotic
05-13-2006, 08:35 PM
I"m getting a Wii for sure. It's just a matter of choosing between 360 and PS3.
Agreed, I refuse to buy PS3 until the price drops alittle, and to make sure its working properly. I'd hate to spend 600 on a system that has faulty errors and I'd have to send it back and get a new one or something.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
05-13-2006, 08:54 PM
Im gonna wait a few years till the PS3's price goes below 250 smackers, by then MGS4 and VF5 will be in bargain bins.
thtz gonna b in like 4 yrs