PDA

View Full Version : Router Firewall!

MecaKane
05-13-2006, 03:11 AM
I just got a new router and I'm trying to set up the firewall.
I thought it was off, but I apparently can't send files on AIM anymore. I just really need to set it up so I'm protected but can still send and recieve files from aim, msn, irc, etc.
It's a d-link di-524 wireless router.

It's a bit of a crappy post, sorry. The setup is just like disable or allow access to certain ports, but I did that and set aim to the same port but I still couldn't send.

rubah
05-13-2006, 03:21 AM
aim is one of the few ports that my modem (or router, but I think it's modem;o) doesn't block at all. and i've had all sorts of people trying for a year to help me with it to pretty much no avail.

Did you try portforward.com?

Samuraid
05-13-2006, 05:27 AM
Most good IM clients (like Trillian) will use uPnP to automatically open ports for you. I'm not sure which ports the default services use, but you can use this screen to configure the firewall: (attachment)

It may look a bit different, but the principle is the same. You basically add a new rule for your IP address range, for the port range you need open. (If your IM client supports uPnP, you'll see an entry already in the list like the "Trillian" one in the screenshot)

bipper
05-14-2006, 04:56 PM
What kinda router did you get? I got a motorolaw wr850g and I got hosed. If that happens to be what you went with, my condolenses. Motorola really put out a crappy router there.

Otherwise, I would suggest looking through the company site and updating the firmware - as there are always bugs in release firmware. Rubah was also right to mention the modem. Make sure you do not have any firewall on - or you configure the firewall on your modem to work correctly.

gluck!

Bipper

MecaKane
05-14-2006, 05:09 PM
Oh!
I think I figured it out using what Rubah and Samuraid said, I tried portforward.com and it didn't have anything specifically for aim file transfers so I followed the examples and I guess got it right. Thx. :cool:

bipper
05-14-2006, 05:18 PM
werd:cool: ...and congrats