PDA

View Full Version : Any fans of classical music?

farplaner
05-14-2006, 07:17 AM
Over the last year or two I have gotten into classical music, and, in fact, I have chosen music (Generally speaking. I'm thinking of going into composition) as my major. I was wondering if anyone out there is interested in classical.

Who are some of your favorite composers?
Is there a particular period you prefer?

I like the variety that began to develop in the romantic period. Some of my favorite composers (as well as Bach) are Beethoven, Chopin, Debussy, Mussorgsky...

I've been trying to branch out, but once I get into a certain composer I find myself trying to obtain their entire library. I haven't gotten very far into the twentieth century, though I just picked up a recording of Holst's "The Planets." I hear this work influenced a lot of film composers, which seems to be true after hearing it.

Ramza Beoulve
05-14-2006, 07:52 AM
Well, I'm a classical music fan n.n, I love Bach's music and also the Romantic Period

jrgen
05-14-2006, 08:57 AM
My interested in classical music has decreased lately, but there are still some composers I really like, such as Prokofiev and Wagner.

Lychon
05-14-2006, 09:01 AM
Hell yeah bitches...I'm partial to Vivaldi and good old Wolfgang.

-LYCHON

P.S. But Madonna still rules. :D

Chaos
05-14-2006, 11:21 AM
I love Holst's The Planets - am loving turbulent Mars...but I dont really listen to a lot of classical stuff.
I love playing Ville Lobos' Guitar music though, I find it inspiring, also a bit of Bach every now and then. :)

farplaner
05-14-2006, 11:34 AM
Coolness. I just got some Prokofiev sonatas and I have some Wagner Orchestral music.

I've been studying Bach on the piano- his "Well Tempered Clavier" haven't gotten good enough for the fugues yet though...
talk about a genius.

After studying music for a little while it's more difficult to listen to pop music. --Basically nothing but 4/4 time in Rondo form with repetitious phrasing...

Cid Vicious
05-14-2006, 11:35 AM
I've alway's liked Beethoven's Furelise and Moonlight Sonata.
And Tubular Bells. (If that's Classical Music)

farplaner
05-14-2006, 11:44 AM
By moonlight sonata, I assume you are referring to the first movement, which is what is usually heard? The whole sonata is good. The third movement is really energetic and envigorating: vivace agitato.

Cid Vicious
05-14-2006, 11:53 AM
By moonlight sonata, I assume you are referring to the first movement, which is what is usually heard? The whole sonata is good. The third movement is really energetic and envigorating: vivace agitato.I mean the whole of it. It's about Eighteen Minutes long the one i listen to.

LunarWeaver
05-14-2006, 03:42 PM
Hell yeah bitches...I'm partial to Vivaldi and good old Wolfgang.

-LYCHON

P.S. But Madonna still rules. :D

Yes she does XD

I listen to classical music remixed into techno, which is probably like sickening to classical music fans -_-'

eestlinc
05-14-2006, 03:57 PM
yea, I like classical music. favorite composers are ockeghem, bach, beethoven, mendelsohn, bruckner, mahler, shostakovich, schnittke, ligeti, and john adams.

i like to write my own stuff too.

Hawkeye
05-14-2006, 04:00 PM
By moonlight sonata, I assume you are referring to the first movement, which is what is usually heard? The whole sonata is good. The third movement is really energetic and envigorating: vivace agitato.
It's actually Presto Agitato, and I just played that movement yesterday at a recital.

Vincent, Thunder God
05-14-2006, 05:43 PM
I like classical quite a bit, though I like progressive rock a lot more. My favourite composers are Dvorak and Rachmaninov.

misscleo
05-14-2006, 05:54 PM
Coolness. I just got some Prokofiev sonatas...

About Prokofiev, you'll want to listen to his ecstatic "Tarantella"- phenomenal! You can play it easily too, possibly. It's my favorite of his:love: http://www.doremifasoft.com/prokofiev.html

Elite Lord Sigma
05-14-2006, 06:43 PM
I am. I like too many things to write down here.

Breine
05-14-2006, 08:27 PM
Meh, I'm so boring because my favourites are the obvious ones: Mozart and Beethoven.

nik0tine
05-15-2006, 12:55 AM
It's all about Bach, baby.

Oh man, WTC and Art of fuge, and the John and Matthew Passions. Nothing can beat that stuff.

I'm probably going to go into composition as my major as well. I try to compose now, but I'm kind of uneducated and I'm not very good. I try though. If you write your own music I encourage you to post it in EoFF's writers corner. And if you ever want to talk to someone about music feel free to hit me up! (Especially if you want to talk about the Fugue! :p)

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
05-15-2006, 01:50 AM
Gnossienne No.1 and Gymnopedie No.1 by Satie,
Sarabande by Handel and Pavane by Faure.

Satie and Faure are my favourites.

I really wish I knew as much about music as some of you guys... i'd never be able to compuse ro write anything myself.

nik0tine
05-15-2006, 02:00 AM
I really wish I knew as much about music as some of you guys... i'd never be able to compuse ro write anything myself.Composing is ridiculously easy. It's composing like beethoven thats difficult.

I can compose half way decent sounding music (although I guess thats up for debate) and I've only taken a highschool music theory course. It's entirely possible for anyone to compose if they put forth a little effort.

eestlinc
05-15-2006, 03:07 AM
the hard part is getting people to play the music you compose.

farplaner
05-15-2006, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone!

It's actually Presto Agitato, and I just played that movement yesterday at a recital.

Ah yes, thanks for the correction. You must be pretty good, buddy :) . I can play the first movement, but I haven't been playing very long. I have recited WTC prelude 1, a Song Without Words of Mendelssohn's, Chopin's prelude 20, and a couple others. Right now I'm working on the WTC prelude 2, which is challenging enough at speed.

Thanks for the link misscleo, I'll check it out...yeah, I like the tarantella- pretty lively. I really haven't heard much of his music (excluding Peter and the Wolf, of course), but I will eventually.

I have been composing a little, too. I can't learn quickly enough. I hear these great compositions, and I get inspired! I sit down to write my masterpiece and then...I sit some more....etc. :D maybe one day lol. I'll be starting Theory 2 here in a couple weeks-looking forward to it.

Keep the posts coming!

Loony BoB
05-15-2006, 11:33 AM
Brahms and Chopin. I don't mind classical music and have some, but I have to say it's more a taste for piano music that gets me into such composers. Anything that doesn't have the piano as the major instrument in the song is okay, but nothing I'd listen to and bask in the beauty of.

Moose Knight
05-22-2006, 02:18 AM
Beethoven is the greatest composer ever. I like others styles as well, including late Romantic, particularly from Russia (Mussorgsky, etc.) as well as early modern (Schoenberg, Stravinsky, Bartok, etc.) I also enjoy playing classical guitar music.

I've tried and regularly engage in composition, but the sheer difficulty is often overwhelming. Really makes you appreciate the great composers more.

farplaner
05-22-2006, 04:25 AM
I haven't really heard any of Schoenberg's music, except for some tidbit in music appreciation. I just thought I would wait until I learned more about the tone row, which I heard was actually originated by Liszt. When I first picked up some of his piano music, I found it hard to get, but it's becoming clearer, especially since I have spent some time in front of the keyboard. It would have been awesome to see him perform, as, apparently, many consider him to be one of the greatest pianists in history!

Right now I'm listening to Dvorak's ninth symphony. It's easy to see how it became so famous. I just realized that the third movement opens with a line from one of Beethoven's.