PDA

View Full Version : Ultima and Meteor...

Peter_20
05-14-2006, 07:54 PM
It's generally believed that Ultima holds the title as "ultimate magic" in the FF series; and rightly so, because its strength often surpasses that of anything else big-time.
However, there have been different occasions when this magic seems heavily inferior to that of another magic, and in this case I'm talking about the legendary Meteor.
Both these magics made their debut in FF2 for the NES, and back then Meteor was apparently considered the stronger.
Sure, Ultima played the role of the "great magic", but its strength was disappointing: METEO1 actually dealt more damage than ULTM12.
In FF3, Ultima was nowhere to be seen, and Meteor was again one of the ultimate black magics, along with Flare and the superior Bahamut.
In FF4, Ultima still hadn't come back, and Meteor, now named Meteo because of lack of space, was stronger than ever, constantly dealing 9999 DMG to all enemies on-screen.
Ultima was absent in FF5 as well, but this time, Meteor sucked, and was honestly just a flashy version of an ordinary Sshot! attack.

However, in FF6, Ultima finally made come-back, and this time it put Meteor to shame.
Both of these magics advanced to FF7, but this time Meteor became a plot magic: the Ultimate Magic (!) that Sephiroth tried using for his evil plans; Ultima was once again an ordinary attack magic, although a very powerful one.
In FF8, magic usually sucked, but Junction-wise, one can't deny that Ultima rocked everything else, including Meteor.
In FF9 it was suddenly Ultima that became the plot magic, Kuja's Magic of Destruction, that could whip away anything; Meteor had become an ordinary attack magic: a powerful one, but very unreliable, usually missing its targets.

From my personal Final Fantasy experience, it seems like Ultima and Meteor are very tide.
Ultima can't just be considered the ultimate magic just like that: Meteor indeed seems a heavy rival.

So, what are your opinions?
What magic should be considered "ultimate"?
State your opinions! :D

Captain Maxx Power
05-14-2006, 10:33 PM
Ultima, because it's only "te" away from Ultimate. Meteor's missing "u" "l" "i" "a" "t" and needs an "e" "o" and "r" removing.

Ya Boy Alex
05-14-2006, 11:41 PM
Meteor is better because it is Meatier.

Nick Schovitz
05-14-2006, 11:48 PM
I really think it's Doomsday.

NeoCracker
05-14-2006, 11:59 PM
I gotta go with Sleep. Nothin beats sleep.

Ya Boy Alex
05-15-2006, 12:05 AM
Meteor is better because it is Meatier.

DarkLadyNyara
05-15-2006, 12:06 AM
Sure, Ultima played the role of the "great magic", but its strength was disappointing: METEO1 actually dealt more damage than ULTM12.

That's actually due to the odd damage system for Ultima. It draws it's power from your other weapon and spell levels. I have it doing at least 4000 a hit, against enimies in pandaemonium. :D

It depends on the game, but in general, I'd say Ultima. Plus, it looks cool. :D

Zeromus_X
05-15-2006, 12:43 AM
Ultima, of course. But not that I dislike Meteor. :cat:

DeathKnight
05-15-2006, 01:11 AM
Meteor, comes from space

HOLY beats all though

Crossblades
05-15-2006, 01:55 AM
Ultima

rubah
05-15-2006, 02:11 AM
meteor is much more useful with a low damage limit, but ultima is usually prettier 8)

Dell
05-15-2006, 04:54 AM
In FFVII, Meteor
In FFIX, Ultima
I love Kuja's Ultima!!
Ultima is my favourite magic and that's why my name is vivi_ultima....I love Ultima and Vivi is my favourite character.

So, Ultima.

Ichimonji
05-15-2006, 06:42 AM
Meteor. Go go multi-hit magic.

starseeker
05-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Ultima all the way

DJZen
05-15-2006, 07:05 PM
Meteo is pretty much always stronger than Ultima. In FFIV it was so powerful it killed Tellah just to cast it. In FFVII it nearly ended the world. In FFII, Ultima was a piece of suck that did maybe 800 damage while your Fire spell was probably doing around 1500. :P

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-15-2006, 07:10 PM
In FFII, Ultima was a piece of suck that did maybe 800 damage while your Fire spell was probably doing around 1500. :PUltima was the most powerful spell when I played FFII. It also destroyed a planet in FFIX.

DarkLadyNyara
05-15-2006, 09:50 PM
In FFII, Ultima was a piece of suck that did maybe 800 damage while your Fire spell was probably doing around 1500. :P

Ultima was the most powerful spell when I played FFII.
Ultima in II can either be the strongest spell in the game or the weakest. :D I've had it doing 3-4000 while flare was doing no more than 2000, but before I knew how it worked, it sucked.

Twilight Edge
05-16-2006, 11:56 AM
Meteor.because it's cool.Ultima is always my second.

Tavrobel
05-16-2006, 03:37 PM
The strongest spell is neither Ultima, nor Meteo, since you cannot cast either one in real life, nor is there a guarantee of each ending the battle, except in special situations.

The BEST spell, is hitting the PS2 switch off and saying "OMG I WIN!"

But seriously, both of them suck. Doomsday == better. Big damage PLUS massive Healing? Pwned.

Mirage
05-16-2006, 05:14 PM
I'd say Comet 2 is the "meteor" of FF7, but that's just my opinion. I'm going for Ultima anyway. Ultima and meteor can both be good in FF8 though. Here's a hint: Junction spells for magic power instead of physical power.

Dell
05-16-2006, 05:22 PM
The strongest spell is neither Ultima, nor Meteo, since you cannot cast either one in real life, nor is there a guarantee of each ending the battle, except in special situations.

The BEST spell, is hitting the PS2 switch off and saying "OMG I WIN!"

But seriously, both of them suck. Doomsday == better. Big damage PLUS massive Healing? Pwned.

Not really, if you don't have Shadow absorbing armor plus Ozma and Hades absorb it. I tell you, Flare is definitely better than Doomsday in FFIX.

Tavrobel
05-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Not really, if you don't have Shadow absorbing armor plus Ozma and Hades absorb it. I tell you, Flare is definitely better than Doomsday in FFIX.

I am using the assumption that you have actual shadow-absorb armor on. And Flare isn't all that great. Damned Reflect. That thing has killed Vivi WAY too many times. I am not wasting a turn and casting Reflect with Eiko just so Vivi can double his attack power. What a waste of AP. And Ozma only absorbs Dark half the time; the other time he is weak against it.

Dell
05-17-2006, 03:43 PM

I am using the assumption that you have actual shadow-absorb armor on. And Flare isn't all that great. Damned Reflect. That thing has killed Vivi WAY too many times. I am not wasting a turn and casting Reflect with Eiko just so Vivi can double his attack power. What a waste of AP. And Ozma only absorbs Dark half the time; the other time he is weak against it.

Flare deal more damage eventhough Doomsday hit all. Auto-Reflect make things more easier. If you want to deal serious damage to this Ozma and Hades, use Eiko's Holy.

Tavrobel
05-17-2006, 08:43 PM
That's what I did. I didn't have Doomsday when I fought Hades, so I didn't have to worry about it. Oddly enough, I spent 15 minutes re-arranging my armor and weapons to fight against Hades' Doomsday as best could, and I killed him before he could use Doomsday. I was really surprised. Level 49 was highest character, on the way to Memoria.

And Ozma... was a pain, stupid Chocobo side-quest.

DJZen
05-17-2006, 11:21 PM
In FFII, Ultima was a piece of suck that did maybe 800 damage while your Fire spell was probably doing around 1500. :P

Ultima was the most powerful spell when I played FFII.
Ultima in II can either be the strongest spell in the game or the weakest. :D I've had it doing 3-4000 while flare was doing no more than 2000, but before I knew how it worked, it sucked.

Yeah, I've never had it behave like that. For me it's always been great at first (doing something like 500 at level 1), but then quickly become overshadowed by every other attack spell in the game. *shrug*

Slade
05-18-2006, 01:06 PM
Ultima. FFVIII's ultima is kick ass, especially when you get it X3 in Selphie's slots.