PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been talking to someone online and not known who they were?

Roto13
05-15-2006, 06:27 PM
I didn't know that the person I was talking to on IRC was Baloki, and I didn't know that PiP from my LJ was Midnight Toker. I wish people would stick to one screen name, like me :p

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-15-2006, 06:51 PM
I still don't know who this Daniel Towns guy is supposed to be.

Old Manus
05-15-2006, 06:57 PM
I like talking to strangers on the internet.

fire_of_avalon
05-15-2006, 07:11 PM
People from the forums like to IM me on AIM and the first thing I always do is I do "Hi! Who are you?"

Captain Maxx Power
05-15-2006, 08:12 PM
I used to get it quite a bit back when Instant Messangers were in vogue. These days though there only seems to be two states to your average IMer - Offline or Idle.

RPJesus
05-15-2006, 08:18 PM
Almost anyone you ever talk to. I don't know who any of you are!

I guess you mean on messenger or something, though. But even then. You make friends with strangers. And then... they're not strangers.

theundeadhero
05-15-2006, 08:19 PM
I don't know over 75% of my MSN messenger list.

boris no no
05-15-2006, 08:24 PM
Same here

I don't go by my forum name on #eoff because girls kept chatting me up thinking I was a boy

Chris
05-15-2006, 08:47 PM
Unfortunately it's the same with me. :(

Venom
05-15-2006, 08:50 PM
I do pretty much everyday.

Leeza
05-15-2006, 08:57 PM
Me too. And on the rare times that I do get on MSN, I get ssked who I am even when they are the ones that have added me in the first place. :cat:

Raistlin
05-15-2006, 09:03 PM
People from the forums like to IM me on AIM and the first thing I always do is I do "Hi! Who are you?"
This happens to me on occasion.

I don't know or don't remember a good 50% of my AIM buddy list.

Yamaneko
05-15-2006, 09:30 PM
I only add people I know, although it's been so long since I've chatted with some people on my buddy list that I can't remember who they all are.

Roto13
05-15-2006, 09:37 PM
People add me to their MSN list, say nothing for the first month, and then ask me who I am. I have to list all of the places that have my email address. The worst is when they don't remember where they found my email in the first place.

No, wait, the worst was the time I asked someone who they were after two months on my list without talking to me once, and he set his status to busy. Right after that, I did the same thing with someone else in the same situation, and he set his status to busy, too. I think they were the same person. I deleted and blocked them both. Tools.

Cz
05-15-2006, 09:40 PM
Yeah, that sort of thing happens quite often. Every time somebody I don't immediately recognise adds me on MSN I utter a little sigh of despair, in anticipation of the "hey who are u?" conversation that is imminent.

Shoeberto
05-15-2006, 10:23 PM
I don't talk to people on IM services who ask who I am when they initiate the conversation. That's just bad netiquette.

Generally I don't talk to people via IM anyway.

On IRC, it's happened a few times, just because people have used nicks that I didn't recognize. I'm guilty of it, too, so no biggy.

Miriel
05-15-2006, 10:31 PM
I don't readily give out my screenname to people online, so I don't really have random online people contacting me. But I do occassionally have people IM me and I have no idea who they are but they end up being an old friend from middle school or a friend who has changed their screenname.

rubah
05-15-2006, 11:24 PM
it took people a few months when I first joined here and starting chatting on irc and adding people to ljfriends to realize that jume=rubah=RubyLapiz

a few other people also realize that this also =neko_the_kitty=the_indigo_one=Thaddeus von Nauson.

People don't trick me too often. I like to rain on tessie's parade by pointing him out. Styles of speech and demeanor can be pretty revealing.

Azzie didn't believe me when I told him, but you can tell a person by their style of writing a lot better than most people imagine you can. Their diction, style of emoticons, style of text entry (tessie would be revealed and so would I, because both of us like to type in short lines with sentences spanning three or more lines) etc

Nick Schovitz
05-15-2006, 11:38 PM
I've talked to you roto, but I don't who you are, sheesh, I've talked to everyone here, except for Cid.

Freya
05-16-2006, 12:33 AM
Isn't that the whole thing of the interweb?

KentaRawr!
05-16-2006, 01:27 AM
Yeah. Who knew that justanotherguy was Hsu?

-N-
05-16-2006, 04:30 AM
It sucks when someone talks to me from someone else's IM name and they tell me it's not them but then they won't tell me who they really are. Like a few days ago. I bet it was this one girl I boned and then it turned all awkward and she won't speak to me but then why did she speak to me over IM? Most likely her friend.

Loony BoB
05-16-2006, 10:16 AM
I either find out who they are using EoFF's lovely ol' Memberlist - Advanced Search feature, or else the LiveJournal's similar feature, or else they tell me, or else I ask. I don't have any desire to chat to someone I don't know, and I certainly won't add them to my list if I don't know who they are.

And when I say 'know' I don't mean 'have intricate knowledge of' I just mean 'know where they found my name from and why they are talking to me'.

Rainecloud
05-16-2006, 10:41 AM
People change their names all the time.

It's highly annoying.

Samuraid
05-16-2006, 10:57 AM
Whenever I login to IRC, I end up whois-ing everyone all the time.

nik0tine
05-16-2006, 10:59 AM
I've talked to you roto, but I don't who you are, sheesh, I've talked to everyone here, except for Cid.
You've not talked to me.