PDA

View Full Version : Prefered character(s) in SSBM

Ultima Shadow
05-15-2006, 09:31 PM
Super Smash Bros Melee... by far one of the greatest games ever made. A game that simply can't be discussed enough.

So... this topic is about discussing your fav characters in the game. :greenie:

My favs:

1) Ganondorf. This is my main. He's the character that I enjoy playing the most and he's the character that I play the best overall with. My fav move with Ganondorf is probably his Forward Aerial, and his Up Aerial is a close second. Even though people usually see him as a really slow character, I'm able to play him much faster than most other characters in the game.

2) Marth. This character was my main before I switched to Ganondorf. I'm not sure whenever he really is my second best or not, but I really like the way he works and enjoy playing as him. Also, he can usually deal pretty well with any Ganon-counters, like Sheik and Falco on FD. My fav move with Marth is Forward Aerial.

3) Link. I picked him up pretty late on, but I ended up liking his "style" and all the fun you can have with his bombs. While I'm better with Sheik, I still like playing as Link much more. Fav move: Bombs.

4) Sheik. Chanses are, that Sheik is my second best overall character. However... I don't really like her fighting style, so I still prefere both Link and Marth over Sheik. She's still nice to play as at times, just for some PWNAGE. Fav move: I just feel so evil whenever I bitch-slap people with her Forward Aerial. Her needles, neutral B, is a close second, though.

5) Bowser. Big target, easily comboe'd, slow, lacking the ability to combo others. You name it. He's one of the worst characters in the game, and that's why I love him. Because I CAN play him pretty decent and thus I CAN beat people with him. The fact that he's a bad overall character makes him fun to play with. Because when you do win, it's a greater victory. Once again, Forward Aerial is my overall fav. But I like his Up B as well.

NeoCracker
05-15-2006, 09:35 PM
Definatley Gannon, his speed was never an issue with me. I like his up-a move, or b. Which ever one it is that grabs them.

SeeDRankLou
05-15-2006, 09:46 PM
Jigglypuff owns you all SUCKAS!!!!

Seriously though, I like using several characters, but I have gotten the timing down with Jigglypuff's Rest attack that I connect with at least 97% accuracy. My friends have banned me from using Jigglypuff when we play because they don't stand a chance. And my friend Ryan is really really good with Ness.

I like using Peach, she's kind of funny. She slaps the people around and smacks them with a frying pan, good stuff.

Crossblades
05-15-2006, 09:48 PM
I always liked playing with Ganondorf, Roy, and the Ice Climbers

NeoCracker
05-15-2006, 09:49 PM
Jiggly is quite fun,

I Took the Red Pill
05-15-2006, 11:37 PM
Falco/Roy

~SapphireStar~
05-15-2006, 11:40 PM
I loved Jiggypuff :D Mainly cause he was my fav Pokemon. Also Link and Samus, she can crack a punch or two!

Lionx
05-16-2006, 01:13 AM
I personally prefer Link and Marth. chaingrab foos D:

KentaRawr!
05-16-2006, 01:17 AM
My favorites? Hmm...

Marth is my favorite. I'm going to go roll, dodge and counter on ya! :O

Young Link is my 2nd favorite, simply because Link was my favorite on the N64. Young Link is like the uber fast version of Link to me, and I always get 'dem boomerang hits in. :p

Mario is my 3rd favorite. He's like, teh awesomez. o_o

Elite Lord Sigma
05-16-2006, 01:20 AM
Roy, because of his powerful Flare Blade attack and coolness, followed by Mario, because of his balance.

Roto13
05-16-2006, 03:57 AM
Tier List:

Top:
Sheik
Fox
Marth

Upper:
Peach
Falco
C. Falcon
Samus

High:
Jigglypuff
Dr. Mario
Ganondorf
Mario
Ice Climbers

Mid:
Luigi
Link
Roy
DK
Pikachu
Zelda

Low:
Ness
Young Link
Yoshi
Kirby
Mr. Game & Watch
Bowser

Bottom:
Mewtwo
Pichu

I use Marth first and Captain Falcon second. I used to use Roy before
I discovered how low tier he was. Then I switched to Marth. Wasn't the biggest jump in the world.

XxSephirothxX
05-16-2006, 04:05 AM
I played as Young Link for a long, long time, but eventually went back to my original character, Fox, and on the rare occassion I play SSBM it's as him.

Vermachtnis
05-16-2006, 04:06 AM
I am awesome with...well I'm awesome, but I can beat my friends with Luigi. His speed and combos are great.

Roto13
05-16-2006, 04:49 AM
I'd like to say something to the "Roy is powerful" people. Roy isn't powerful. He's weaker than Marth. Hitting with the tip of Marth's sword does more damage than hitting with any part of Roy's sword. This combined with speed makes Marth a better character.

Rase
05-16-2006, 04:54 AM
Definetly Ganondorf. I think he's got some good speed considering the strength of his attacks, and it can be fairly easy to get some good combos out of him. Plus, he's the Angryman, and how can you not like the Angryman?

Samuraid
05-16-2006, 05:52 AM
I suck terribly at SSBM, but Marth or Link are probably the characters I suck the least with.

chaos_ghost
05-16-2006, 06:41 AM
Here are my favs:

1. Falco
2.Ganon
3.Captain Falcon
4.Fox
5.Dr. Mario(it's odd, I own with him, but I suck with Mario)
6.Link
7.Samus
8.Bowser
9.DK
10.Young Link/Mr. Game and Watch

Markus. D
05-16-2006, 08:17 AM
My faveorite characters are Samus and Mewtwo (Ness aswell since I found out how well PK fire spams.)

Monster Hunt
05-16-2006, 08:36 AM
I like Luigi and Kirby!

NeoCracker
05-16-2006, 08:39 AM
Gannons cheer rocks, it sound more like their taunting him then cheering. Another reason he rocks.

Cz
05-16-2006, 10:16 AM
Most of the time I'll use Marth, because he's pretty solid in every department, and because there's nothing more satisfying than connecting perfectly with a Forward Smash. I'm pretty useful with Samus, Jiggly, Ganondorf and Pikachu too, though, and I switch around depending on the stage or opponents.

Dreddz
05-16-2006, 10:57 AM
Falco is the one who im most fond with, im no expert with the game, but i can beat level 8's and sometimes 9's if im with Falco. Other's I fail miserably.

Jebus
05-16-2006, 11:20 AM
If I'm not playing as Ness, then I'm Marth.

I used to kick total ass with Ness, but it's been so long now, I probably forgot how.

Craig
05-16-2006, 12:38 PM
I play Young Link and I don't see that changing until Brawl is out.

Levian
05-16-2006, 12:41 PM
Roy. He's powerful. :tonberry:

Roto13
05-16-2006, 04:51 PM
Roy. He's powerful. :tonberry:
No he's not.

Mo-Nercy
05-16-2006, 06:09 PM
I don't see how a fighting game where all the characters have essentially the same movelist can have tiers. Not that I claim to know a lot about the SSB series, but I reckon the game is pretty limited in that respect and that character choice is pretty much dependant solely on who you think looks the coolest.

On that note, I like Marth.

Roto13
05-16-2006, 06:14 PM
I don't see how a fighting game where all the characters have essentially the same movelist can have tiers. Not that I claim to know a lot about the SSB series, but I reckon the game is pretty limited in that respect and that character choice is pretty much dependant solely on who you think looks the coolest.
You couldn't possibly be more wrong. On top of the fact that (most of) the characters differ greatly, even the clones have enough differences to make one better than the other. That's why Pichu is bottom tier and Pikachu is mid. Pichu is much too light and hurts himself when he attacks. Like I said before, Roy is slower and weaker than Marth. The speed difference between Ganondorf and Captain Falcon is so big that it creates two vastly different playing styles. Young Link suffers from a similar problem to Pichu. He's too light. His reach is crap, too. Falco and Fox aren't all that different, and Dr. Mario and Mario are pretty much the same, but the rest of the characters are very different from each other.

Ultima Shadow
05-16-2006, 08:09 PM
You couldn't possibly be more wrong. On top of the fact that (most of) the characters differ greatly, even the clones have enough differences to make one better than the other. That's why Pichu is bottom tier and Pikachu is mid. Pichu is much too light and hurts himself when he attacks. Like I said before, Roy is slower and weaker than Marth. The speed difference between Ganondorf and Captain Falcon is so big that it creates two vastly different playing styles. Young Link suffers from a similar problem to Pichu. He's too light. His reach is crap, too. Falco and Fox aren't all that different, and Dr. Mario and Mario are pretty much the same, but the rest of the characters are very different from each other.First, I would just like to say that this is true and I agree. The characters in SSBM are in fact so different that a tier list is much easier to make, and the power difference between bottom and top tier are much bigger, than in the typical fighting game like Soul Caliber and/or Tekken.

Then, I would also like to mention that even Fox and Falco are really different and have completely different playing styles. Falco takes advantage of his blaster while approaching or retreating and even edge-guarding since it stuns the target for a moment, while Fox only can add up dammage with his blaster. Fox can 0-kill with his Down B since its knock-back is set and won't change depending on dammage, thus giving it a really deadly low-% knock-back while close to the edge and off-stage. Falco is better at KO with Neutral Aerial, Back Aerial and Side Smash while Fox is better at KO with Up Smash and Up Aerial. Falco can spike with Down Aerial, Fox can't. Fox is faster and his Up B/Side B recoveries reach futher etc. The list goes on. So even Fox and Falco are actually extremely different.

The only clone that hardly is different at all, is actually Dr. Mario. But then again, there ARE still notable differences. :greenie:

I'm no expert of other fighting games like Tekken and Soul Caliber, even though I've played them both. However... I really doubt that those games have any character-counters that can even be compared to those in SSBM. For example, Sheik VS Bowser= Hopeless matchup for Bowser and even more so if played at Final Destenation. The Bowser player would require atleast twice the skill of the Sheik player in order to win a matchup like that. So there are indeed both tiers and counters in SSBM.

Edit: Of course, it's important to remember, though, that tier doesn't decide the winner. And in many cases, mid tiers stand a good chanse against even top tiers. Unless it's a hopeless matchup like the one I mentioned, just a little bit more skill is usually enough to beat upper/top tiers with even low/mid tiers. And even counter-move sets are more important in matchups than whenever a character is high on the tierlist or not. So just because your fav isn't a top-tier, it obiviously doesn't mean you should stop playing that character and pick up a top-tier instead. So don't choose Sheik or Fox just because they are the "overall" best characters in the game. :greenie:

Skyblade
05-16-2006, 08:52 PM
Jigglypuff owns you all SUCKAS!!!!

Seriously though, I like using several characters, but I have gotten the timing down with Jigglypuff's Rest attack that I connect with at least 97% accuracy. My friends have banned me from using Jigglypuff when we play because they don't stand a chance. And my friend Ryan is really really good with Ness.

I like using Peach, she's kind of funny. She slaps the people around and smacks them with a frying pan, good stuff.

Truth. I also am awesome as Jigglypuff. Rest is so much fun. :D

My favorite character, though, is Kirby. True, he's not the god he was in SSB. But he is still a great character, and, IMHO, he deserves better than the low tier that list has put him at.

Roto13
05-16-2006, 08:53 PM
Things about tiers.More things about tiers.
Very well put. I never really considered the Falco and Fox differences to be that big, but I think you're right.

Ultima Shadow
05-16-2006, 10:57 PM
Truth. I also am awesome as Jigglypuff. Rest is so much fun. :D

My favorite character, though, is Kirby. True, he's not the god he was in SSB. But he is still a great character, and, IMHO, he deserves better than the low tier that list has put him at.Well... Kirby is really overshadowed by his "clone" (if you even can call Jiggly a Kirby clone at all) since Jiggly is better in just about every singel way.

Since I feel really post-happy today, I'm going to write a list on my personal thoughts on every character on the tier list.

Top Tier:

Sheik: She's a top tier for a good reason. She can combo without any effort just by linking Tilts together. She got one of the most annoying finishers in the game, the "Slap" (Forward Aerial) that sends the enemy horizontally downwards which makes recover a lot harder. She also got a high-priority projectile. Not to mention that she's simply one of the fastest characters in the game and her recovery is really hard to edge-guard. Sheik counters a lot of characters, but no character counters Sheik. That alone is enough to make her Top Tier.

Fox: Harder to play than Sheik, but he got more potentional. He's the overall fastest character in the game. He got 2 really powerful KO moves (Up Smash and Up Aerial) and one of the most dangerous moves in the game, his Down B. He may actually deserve to be above Sheik.

Marth: Speed, power and R-A-N-G-E!!! Do I need to say more? Oh yeah, and he can combo pretty well too.

Upper Tier:

Peach: She probably even deserves to be in Top Tier. Her Down Smash= Best Smash and probably even the best overall move in the game. She got INSANE recovery, one of the best dash-attacks and she got a great projectile attack. Also, her aerials are all really powerful.

Falco: BLASTER SPAMMAGE FTW!!! He can annoy the hell out of ANYONE who doesn't have a reflect-projectile thingy.

C.Falcon: Fastest running speed in the game, and really quick aerials. He got a perfect KO move, along with great combo ability. If it wasn't because he's so easy to edge-guard, he could probably have been a Top Tier as well. Now, he IS one of the easiest characters in the game to edge-guard, though.

Samus: Probably the most well-balanced (Sheik is not balanced, she's just overpowered in every singel way) character in the game. Great projectiles, great recovery, great smashes, great... everything. Her overall movement is a bit too slow, though.

High Tier:

Jigglypuff: The superior version of Kirby. Great aerials, and the extremely dangerous "Rest". Also, she got the best recovery in the entire game.

Dr. Mario: Pretty much the same as Mario, but I agree that he's better for the following reasons: His pills are much better than Mario's fire balls. His Forward Aerial is overall more powerful.

Ganondorf: TEH P0WERZ!!! Lack combo ability to a certain degree, but can pack quite a punch whenever his hits connect. High Tier suits him perfectly.

Mario: Yeah, I have no idea why Mario isn't just RIGHT below Dr. Mario... but whatever. Mario's a really well-balanced character. Not much else to say, except he really does belong in High Tier. Got no really bad matchups, either.

Ice Climbers: My least played character, so I can't say much about them other than that their smashes are uber powerful.

Mid Tier:

Luigi: Good Aerials, good smashes, insane Wave Dash. I would personally put him in High Tier... but oh well. Whatever. Highest in Mid isn't that bad either.

Link: Another well-balanced character. The fact that he's in Mid Tier means nothing, because a good Link can beat any character in the High-Top Tier lists. He got 2 really great projectiles as well. Bombs and Boomerang. Could have been placed in High Tier above Luigi, in my oppinion.

Roy: The weaker version of Marth. He got more wieght, and thus he's harder to instant-KO. Also, his Side B is a slightly better attack than Marth's Side B. However... Roy is slower, got worse recovery, worse aerials, shorter range and is simply an overall worse character. The fact that he's so much weaker than his Top Tier clone doesn't mean he's a bad character, though. He can still be pretty fast and dangerous. He still got the second best range in the game, and his F-Smash really hurts. I guess I agree with him being in Mid Tier right below Link.

DK: Never thought this dude could be played good, until I played the Japanese top player, CJ's DK. Man, I got monkey-raped gorilla-style. But even so... I think this may be just a little too high for DK. But on the other hand, his neutral B is just too crazy powerful.

Pikachu: His Up Smash= Kick-Ass. His Side-Smash= Great. His recovery= Really good. Other than that, he's not all that great.

Zelda: She's THE slowest character in the game when it comes to running speed. But she got some really powerful moves, though. Her Forward and Back Aerials are extremely powerful if sweet-spoted she can KO really well with her throws.

Low Tier:

Ness: His Down B pretty much dissables Samus charge shot and prevents space animals from spamming blasters. Too bad, this move is completely useless against more than half of the characters in the game. His Side Smash rocks but his Up and Down Smashes sucks big time. And yes, he IS a Low Tier.

Young Link: Weaker version of Link. While he IS faster, he's just too much weaker and his reach is really bad compared to Link's. Also, Link's Up B is A LOT better than Young Link's. So yes, Young Link should be pretty far below Link, even though he's faster.

Yoshi: Hardly play him. But I DO know that there's insanely skilled Yoshi players out there. I've even seen a Yoshi Player beat that CJ-guy's Sheik. Another proof that you won't win just because you use a character that's higher on the tier list.

Kirby: Great recovery, but not as good as Peach and Jiggly's. Half-assed to decent aerials and decent smashes. Easily instant-KO'ed and pretty slow. He's not extremely bad, but he's far from being extremely good, too. Then again, I've never seen a really good Kirby player.

Mr G&W: I hardly play him at all. His neutral B is a really good move, though. That much I know.

Bowser: Hardest to instant-KO in the game, but like I mentioned earlier... he's really slow and a big target etc. He deserves to be this low on the tier list for good reasons.

Bottom:

Mewtwo: The all-mighty Mewtwo isn't as powerful as he was meant to be, in SSBM. He could've had great potentional... but he's too slow, lacks combo ability, is far too easily instant-KO'ed, is far too easily combo'ed and got pretty low priority with many of his moves. His best KO moves are his Back and Up Throws, not his smashes. Because of his great Up B, he COULD probably have been placed higher than Bowser, though...

Pichu: PICHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!! Worst character in the game. Easily KO'ed, dammages himself, got a really bad moveset and lacks... usefulness. But he got 1 really powerful move, though. His Up Smash. Whatever you do, don't underestimate the power of Pichu's Up Smash!!! :eek:

Yeah, that's pretty much my thoughts on all the characters and how they are placed in the tier list. :greenie:

Roto13
05-16-2006, 11:09 PM
Wow. I have to say, I'm impressed!

Ultima Shadow
05-16-2006, 11:10 PM
Wow. I have to say, I'm impressed!This is what happens when I'm bored. xD

Lionx
05-17-2006, 12:35 AM
Lets just say Short hop blaster with fox and falco are differnet enough for me to hate falco --;....although chaingrabbing them is fun as hell...weeeeeee

Cz
05-17-2006, 10:11 AM
Ice Climbers: My least played character, so I can't say much about them other than that their smashes are uber powerful.Chain throws ftw :thumb:

Lionx
05-17-2006, 10:39 AM
I heard many times they are Anti-Shiek but since they are so unorthodox its rarely used to that potential.

Darknite
05-19-2006, 07:48 PM
Link all the way! i can make a nifty combo with his boomerang and bomb. his sword plant rocks and his smashes and speed aren't bad either.mid tier or not, i have beaten a level 9 ganondorf and a level 7 shiek on the same team. kirby is my second best but he could never compare to when i use link

Ouch!
05-19-2006, 09:49 PM
I played as Sheik when I first played SSBM before I owned it. My friend would play as Gannon, and Sheik's speed was the only way I could beat him. I wasn't particularly good with Sheik, but she's quick enough that I had no trouble running circles around the poor guy. Sheik's my back-up now.

I had a Gannondorf phase as well, but I don't play as him anymore.

Anyway, once my friend really got me into the game, he set me up playing as Marth. I play with him every so often, but he usually beats me. He plays with a group of people who are pretty damn good at the game. They invite state champions to play at their house and whatnot. I don't stand much of a chance against them, but it's fun to watch them play.

Bowser
05-19-2006, 10:01 PM
Falco, Marth, and Dr. Mario are my favorites. Usually I play as the doctor though.

Markus. D
05-20-2006, 01:22 AM
I did like Jigglypuffs Sing + Rest combo.

fuuuuun.

Tavrobel
05-20-2006, 01:42 AM
Mistar Game and Watch. --> B = pwnage.
Otherwise I use Roy, Dr. Mario, and Pikachu.

omnitarian
05-20-2006, 02:23 AM
I'm best with Link or Roy.

I infinitely prefer Roy over Marth- for some reason I can't get anything done efficiently when I play as Marth. Marth does more damage, but Roy tends to send the enemies farther (play with their forward smashes in homerun contest if you don't believe me). Additionally, Roy's attacks send your opponents in managable directions, instead of all willy-nilly with Marth (Marth's upward smash and up+B in particular bug the crap outta me).

Lionx
05-20-2006, 04:31 AM
Its easier to hit someone with the tip of your blade, hence you should try to put some distance next time you hit the sandbag, the sweet spot makes people fly.

Clouded Sky
05-21-2006, 02:43 PM
About 70% of the time I play as Fox. He's quick, and has great up smash attacks. The only downside I feel playing Fox is that he falls like a rock.

If I'm not playing Fox, I spend about 20% of my time with Jigglypuff just because it pisses my friends off and rest is so much fun. Finally, I spend the last 10% of my playtime with Pichu. Yes, he flies way too far, and he hurts himself, but he's so dang fast I do a lot of fleeing and his ->A smash attack is great. Headbutt is fun too. You just have to know when to run with Pichu, which he is pretty dang good at.

Finally, even though I'm at 100%, there are occassional times when I'll use Kirby just because his taunt annoys the living daylights out of everyone.