PDA

View Full Version : Am I really the only one who hated Atlantica?

Yooniece
05-15-2006, 11:06 PM
I love The Little Mermaid (the movie). It's a classic. But I HATED going through the Atlantica sequence. A lot of people said they enjoyed the "musicals" and laughed at how "funny" they were... I thought they were the stupidest trials, and not in a "this is cheesy- it's so funny" kind of way. I would seriously curse my screen and wish that I somehow could fast-forward through the whole thing and found no humor in the entire world.

Am I seriously the only one who felt that way?

PontiusPilate
05-15-2006, 11:18 PM
Playing atlantica kind of made me ashamed of playing KH II. It was something id see in a child game

Tifa's Real Lover(really
05-16-2006, 12:13 AM
its not a mature game.......notice the rating

PontiusPilate
05-16-2006, 01:08 AM
You misunderstand my defanition of "mature". The story line is a very mature one (not counting the well done comic relief by disney.) I'm not saying the kind of mature like violence/sex/drugs. Something can be mature with out getting a mature rating

Tifa's Real Lover(really
05-16-2006, 01:11 AM
yea i kno wut it meens man, its jus the game was made for kids, yes lil 10 yr olds

PontiusPilate
05-16-2006, 01:22 AM
yea i kno wut it meens man, its jus the game was made for kids, yes lil 10 yr olds

Yeah, i agree. i guess what im saying is, even though its focused on kids, the story is still farely complex and mature (which is why it attracted an older audience). The thing i hate about kids games is that they usually slap them together with no time and effort (like most individual disney made games). For example: The Indredibles,chicken little, etc.) Of course square knew that they could probably make an "okay" game that took less time to make and still have it appeal to the younger kids, but since Square knew that their was an older audience involved, they would have to make the game amazing for it to appeal more to an older audience. Even though the disney was meant for appealing to kids (which i really didnt mind and actually enjoyed). i thought that Atlantica crossed the border of childish to cheesey. I myself hated the songs as well because they got lodged in my head for the week and i kept humming them to myself.

Heartless Soul
05-16-2006, 02:30 AM
Question to OP, if you liked the world in the first game, I will agree with you completely. But I liked the songs, just wish Atlantica was BIGGER, same with other worlds.

FYI: KH is not a very complex story. A 11 year old can understand what's going on, and, as a considence, that was the EXACT age I played the original. It has mature themes, but it SURE hell ain't a angst-filled game. Yea, KH rated E as for ''Everybody'', not just teens, not just little kids, for adults and old people of any age. Including grandparents and great grandparents.

:)

vampirepiggyhunter7
05-16-2006, 02:53 AM
It was evil. But I accept it.

PontiusPilate
05-16-2006, 02:57 AM
Question to OP, if you liked the world in the first game, I will agree with you completely. But I liked the songs, just wish Atlantica was BIGGER, same with other worlds.

FYI: KH is not a very complex story. A 11 year old can understand what's going on, and, as a considence, that was the EXACT age I played the original. It has mature themes, but it SURE hell ain't a angst-filled game. Yea, KH rated E as for ''Everybody'', not just teens, not just little kids, for adults and old people of any age. Including grandparents and great grandparents.

:)

I guess complex is the wrong word. The story I thought could rival most movies. I really don't know how to describe it. The stories in KH I and II just gave a deep emotional impact, which i never got out of any movie.

Cloud_omnislash_Strife
05-19-2006, 03:27 AM

Yeah, i agree. i guess what im saying is, even though its focused on kids, the story is still farely complex and mature (which is why it attracted an older audience). The thing i hate about kids games is that they usually slap them together with no time and effort (like most individual disney made games). For example: The Indredibles,chicken little, etc.) Of course square knew that they could probably make an "okay" game that took less time to make and still have it appeal to the younger kids, but since Square knew that their was an older audience involved, they would have to make the game amazing for it to appeal more to an older audience. Even though the disney was meant for appealing to kids (which i really didnt mind and actually enjoyed). i thought that Atlantica crossed the border of childish to cheesey. I myself hated the songs as well because they got lodged in my head for the week and i kept humming them to myself.i am a kid(11 yrs old) and i get the complex storyline

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-19-2006, 03:45 AM
Trust me, you aren't the only one. (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=194)

Personally, I could have done without the story sequences in Atlantica, which I found tedious. However, I did enjoy the musicals themselves, as I found them to be extremely amusing. Childish, yes, but that was part of why they were amusing.

cloud20747
05-19-2006, 04:03 AM
I liked it, my friend hates it!
It was suppose to be a break from the mindless button mashing(not that the button-mashing is bad)

LunarWeaver
05-19-2006, 05:03 PM
It's rated E but just like a Disney movie anybody can like if you let yourself...

And I liked Atlantica because I watched the Little Mermaid an absurd amount of times when I was a kid and I had no choice but to sing along. "PAART OF THAaAAaAaAT WOOOOOOOORLD!"

Plus hearing Osment sing was hilarious to me for some reason, and worth 50 dollars in itself.

cid highwind
05-19-2006, 07:26 PM
nope yur defininitly (sorry for the spelling) not the only one

Heartless Soul
05-19-2006, 08:52 PM
Personally, I could have done without the story sequences in Atlantica, which I found tedious
But it's sticking to the actual movie plot. What's tedious about that, unless you hate the movie.... or something.

:confused:

PontiusPilate
05-19-2006, 10:49 PM

Yeah, i agree. i guess what im saying is, even though its focused on kids, the story is still farely complex and mature (which is why it attracted an older audience). The thing i hate about kids games is that they usually slap them together with no time and effort (like most individual disney made games). For example: The Indredibles,chicken little, etc.) Of course square knew that they could probably make an "okay" game that took less time to make and still have it appeal to the younger kids, but since Square knew that their was an older audience involved, they would have to make the game amazing for it to appeal more to an older audience. Even though the disney was meant for appealing to kids (which i really didnt mind and actually enjoyed). i thought that Atlantica crossed the border of childish to cheesey. I myself hated the songs as well because they got lodged in my head for the week and i kept humming them to myself.i am a kid(11 yrs old) and i get the complex storyline

I can tell you are 11 years old because u missed the part where i said "maybe complex was the wrong word"

ZeZipster
05-20-2006, 01:50 AM
I completed all of Atlantica in atleast under 10 minutes. It's not that I didn't like it, I just feared for my masculinity.

Ranyx
05-20-2006, 04:09 AM
I didnt like the Atlantica Level on Kingdom Harts one or Two and Chain of memories. i dont like that world the others kick asser!

PontiusPilate
05-20-2006, 02:34 PM
I don't think i could have played that world if i was within 200 ft of any living being because it was just so damn embarressing listenin to those gay (not the homosexual gay) and childish songs.

Ranyx
05-20-2006, 04:28 PM
The songs i didnt like on the Second one they were Gay they need to find a way to replace that damn level when they make the 3rd one.
Cause i cant take that damn world anymore.
Atlantica is Gay as Asser!

TRANS_AM409
05-20-2006, 04:31 PM
if they make a third one i hope they dont even use atlantica 'cause i didnt like it on either game but at least u didint have to do it all in KH2

Ranyx
05-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Yeah in KH2 it was a bit better cause you didnt have to ventyure aroudn like you did in KH1

TRANS_AM409
05-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Its gay as crap they should have brought back a world like monstro of somthing instead

Marche
05-20-2006, 05:01 PM
Atlantica was the worst world in either game no real doubt.

TRANS_AM409
05-20-2006, 05:31 PM
Yeah i hated it so much

Heartless Soul
05-20-2006, 07:46 PM
Atlantica was in the first game because Normua and crew were watching random Disney movies and the fact ONE of the people working on the project liked The Little Mermaid, which found its way into the game. Kind of like how Lion King found its way in the sequel because it was Normua's favorite Disney movie. Although Disney worlds were choosen by their ''enviorment'' and ''worldly-feel'' some choose their favorites.

Atlantica was reduced to a crappy musical because little whiny children, like the ones in this thread, were complaining how difficult the controls were in the first game. A average 10 year old could figure it out. MY MOTHER WHO DOESN'T HOW TO PLAY VIDEO GAMES COULD FIGURE IT OUT. Thus, Normua changed it to please whiny fanboys, which in my opinion, he should've ignored.

The only thing that reeks of ''gayness'' or homosexuality is the constant ''gay'' word being posted by people who can't post in decent grammar writting aNd tYpe lIKE Dis!!!!111. The only thing I hate about Atlantica is how such a nice, cool world was turned into a mediocre musical all because a bunch of fanboys raviving how easy KH is, but can't figure out controls OR THE instructions.

Atlantica isn't going to be in the third game, I believe. Just for the fact the movie storyline was used. But then again, Agrabah used ''Return of Jafar'' as a story in KH2 and it's a DTV sequel from Disney. In KHIII, NO DISNEY WORLDS FROM KH OR KH2 (save for Port Royal) should reappear in the game.

I completed all of Atlantica in atleast under 10 minutes. It's not that I didn't like it, I just feared for my masculinity

:chuckle:

TRANS_AM409
05-20-2006, 07:49 PM
Heartless soul what kind of acid are you on to see tYpe lIKE Diss!!!!1111 man i dont see it and the lion king world was awsome atlantica was not

Nick Schovitz
05-20-2006, 11:21 PM
I could never beat the new Atlantica, It was terrible

PontiusPilate
05-20-2006, 11:26 PM
Atlantica was in the first game because Normua and crew were watching random Disney movies and the fact ONE of the people working on the project liked The Little Mermaid, which found its way into the game. Kind of like how Lion King found its way in the sequel because it was Normua's favorite Disney movie. Although Disney worlds were choosen by their ''enviorment'' and ''worldly-feel'' some choose their favorites.

Atlantica was reduced to a crappy musical because little whiny children, like the ones in this thread, were complaining how difficult the controls were in the first game. A average 10 year old could figure it out. MY MOTHER WHO DOESN'T HOW TO PLAY VIDEO GAMES COULD FIGURE IT OUT. Thus, Normua changed it to please whiny fanboys, which in my opinion, he should've ignored.

The only thing that reeks of ''gayness'' or homosexuality is the constant ''gay'' word being posted by people who can't post in decent grammar writting aNd tYpe lIKE Dis!!!!111. The only thing I hate about Atlantica is how such a nice, cool world was turned into a mediocre musical all because a bunch of fanboys raviving how easy KH is, but can't figure out controls OR THE instructions.

Atlantica isn't going to be in the third game, I believe. Just for the fact the movie storyline was used. But then again, Agrabah used ''Return of Jafar'' as a story in KH2 and it's a DTV sequel from Disney. In KHIII, NO DISNEY WORLDS FROM KH OR KH2 (save for Port Royal) should reappear in the game.

I completed all of Atlantica in atleast under 10 minutes. It's not that I didn't like it, I just feared for my masculinity

:chuckle:

Agree with you totally. Disney worlds are "OK" but i really wouldnt miss them if they weren't in there. The whole disney thing should be split into two sections. Disney worlds and the Disney Characters. I will rate both of them.

Dinsey Worlds- 7/10 (not including Port Royal which gets a 9/10) This levels are mediocre. Some of the terrain looks like it had been rushed when created.

Disney Characters- 10/10 This is where disney shines, their characters are incredibly memorable and likeable.

It did suck abit that all the disney world i played through (the 1st time) had the movie plot so i could predict everything that was going to happen. I personally liked KH's orginal worlds (the world that never was, radiant garden) alot better than disneys

Atlantica's controls in the first KH weren't hard to figure out, they just sucked and were'nt fun to use. Probably my least favorite world in KH

The Summoner of Leviathan
05-20-2006, 11:51 PM

They thought it was hard? *stares* Worst case scenario all you need to know is "x" is attack and the left stick to move.

Agreed.

Overall, I think Atlantica was fun, but I only did it to say I did it. There was not much too it. Kinda annoying actually. My dad bothered me during Ursula's song, so I paused it. Turns out it did not have a continue function. I had already withled away her life meter (I was waiting for it to finish), so I had to redo it again. I just did not like how at the very end Sora, Donald and Goofy sing.

TRANS_AM409
05-21-2006, 01:50 AM
I hated the fact that you couldent continu once paused that was gay i only did the world for 100% on jimies journa

finaloblivion
05-23-2006, 05:00 AM
let's face it, kingdom hearts II especially dealt with more mature themes than the first one, and the disney element is definitely there to give comic relief. i must say however...i wanted to kill myself when i played through the atlantica missions. it's fun i guess, but i wish there would have been more to the world, like in the first one. but the songs and lyrics are reprehensable, i would say. still, i didnt let those little episodes ruin the game - cuz this game is effin incredible!!!

LunarWeaver
05-26-2006, 12:44 AM
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i29/LunarWeaver/060424.jpg

Finny Fun always makes me go YAY!

FallenAngel411
05-26-2006, 06:16 AM
I thought it was cute! And you only have to play Atlantica in five minute bursts here and there, so its not a huge deal really.

PontiusPilate
05-26-2006, 10:01 PM
Hahahhahahaha, That comic is sweet.

Cloud_omnislash_Strife
05-29-2006, 07:11 AM

I can tell you are 11 years old because u missed the part where i said "maybe complex was the wrong word"

Are you being sarcastic?????

PontiusPilate
05-29-2006, 06:01 PM
a bit, but not in a mean way

goldraine
05-30-2006, 12:49 AM
I thought it made an excellent escape from constant X-X-X combos. Not to mention that somehow "A New Day is Dawning" got stuck in my head for about a month. Not even Rammstein stopped it. But overall, I was pleased with it.

teaandmachines
05-30-2006, 03:02 AM
it does drag out a bit sometimes but it's ok .. kinda cute.

Silvercry
05-30-2006, 01:47 PM
Could have done without it, but I needed the Orichalcum +, so there you go.

As an aside, why is it people complain that Atlantica was hard to control in KH1, but not Neverland? The flying controls were identical to the swimming controls, which you also use for most of the final battle. Never understood the problem myself.

TRANS_AM409
05-30-2006, 06:03 PM
I didint think the controls were that complicated but some people can only us the most simple controls ah well

Chibi Angel
05-30-2006, 07:46 PM
Yeah I hated Atlantica and so did the four other friends I have that have palyed the game so no you're not the only one.

Cloud_omnislash_Strife
05-31-2006, 05:07 AM
a bit, but not in a mean way
okay

Rogue
05-31-2006, 05:42 AM
it was pretty bad gay

Zeromus_X
05-31-2006, 05:46 AM
Once I figured it out, it was easy and kinda fun. And I love 'Part of Your World'. Although I'd have liked to actually fight Ursula...oh well. :cat:

Sparky
06-01-2006, 08:45 PM
it did suck, really damn bad.:choc2:

teaandmachines
06-01-2006, 10:45 PM
Although I'd have liked to actually fight Ursula...oh well. :cat:
ha, true.

DiZTewell
06-02-2006, 12:50 AM
Alantica can suck my big fat ball sack

Le Mutton Noir
06-16-2006, 12:34 AM
I thought they were corny, but it had a good world ending (actually, my favorite out of KHII) that was kind of a sense of relief after beating it.

disapointedchild
06-21-2006, 11:46 PM
Is it absolutly neccesary to play it? If it is, i havent done it, and now, after reading this thread, am going to have to do it late at night so nobody catches me. It would seem pretty akward if my dad came in while they were singing some silly song. Maybe I will just mute the TV.

Demon Lancer
06-24-2006, 01:37 AM
No it isn't it's made for all RPG fans and square-enix followers. Besides they can't make it bad, just because of the fact that disney was a partner in the making of the game, it wouldn't be all that good for disney to have people swearing at mickey mouse now would it :P.
Bsides the non disney square-enix kinda shone threw in two, Look at what they did to Kairi, she looks nothing like she did in 1.

Jessweeee♪
06-28-2006, 09:40 PM
HATED IT!!!HATED IT!!!HATED IT!!!HATED IT!!!HATED IT!!!HATED IT!!!HATED IT!!!

NorthernChaosGod
07-02-2006, 01:19 AM
I hated Atlantica in KH2. I hated how it was reduced to nothing more than a cheesy musical, I actually liked Atlantica in KH1. All other returning worlds from KH1 still had heartless, why not Atlantica?

Chocobo King
07-08-2006, 05:11 AM
Youre not the only hater for the Atlantica level... I hated it too

Fate Fatale
07-17-2006, 09:09 PM
I'm going to completely disreguard everything any one said and say just this:

"Disney was brought into this game because for:
older players it was nostalgia
younger player it was some fun stories that maybe they had never seen

And if you just want to complain about the stories or or even say they sucked, why complain to us when you could have simply not played the game."

EDIT: well, if you really want to say just one level you didn't like that is fine. It's natural but for all you disney haters why don't you sod off.

Maux
08-02-2006, 08:05 AM
d that it was poorly reduced to nothing more than a musical. Didn't even get to attack anything underwater! If it returns in the third game hopefully it will be much better and not as cheasy. Which brings the question if anyone actually wants to see Atlantica again?

Rufinito18
08-04-2006, 03:50 AM
I loved Atlantica inthe first one. Sure, I got lost 9000000 times, but when I found the way I was so proud. I went in KHII Atlantica expecting some violence. Then I had to sing and dance. I freaked out, and never came back (yet)

Ashi
08-04-2006, 09:53 AM
I didn't like Atlantica in the first game, and neither did a friend. I played the game first and when I told them "Hey I see an atlantica in the game!" he said, "Ok thats it, I'm not playing KH2!"

I didn't find it that bad. I prefer the singing over getting lost in old Atlantica. Because I really couldn't figure out how I used to float up or float down in the water and it took me a few visits to even realise it.

Maux
08-05-2006, 03:26 AM
I didn't find it that bad. I prefer the singing over getting lost in old Atlantica. Because I really couldn't figure out how I used to float up or float down in the water and it took me a few visits to even realise it.

I thought the first one much better, although it was probably the longest level, and what was with the shark? As for the controls yeah it took a while to learn but it was better than the singing. I couldn't stand Donald singing.

If Atlantica does return at least the boss should be better, and although Little Mermaid II wasn't that good Morgana would make a good boss battle, her and Undertow. But not singing, fighting all the way! (Anyone know what I'm talking about?)

Ozmoid
08-09-2006, 06:49 PM
I absoulutely hated atlantis. In fact, i had beaten ansem twice before finishing it. I had no idea where i was meant to go even with the strategy guide. Having said that, not having thundaga meant i could kep curaga on the shortcuts.