PDA

View Full Version : Magic: the Gathering Tournament

Jebus
05-16-2006, 05:25 AM
Alrighty.

For once, one of my ideas might actually get played out.

Here's how this works:

1) Download Apprentice http://www.magic-league.com/download/apprentice.php

2) Download the Dissention patch from the same site

3) Follow instructions and get everything installed.

4) Make your deck(s) and get registered here.

Rules for the tournament:
Standard T1 rules. All restrictions and bans are in effect (no dex cards, no Un-sets, etc.) http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=judge/resources/sfrvintage for a list of banned/restricted cards.

Apprentice doesn't allow observers that I know of, so you guys'll have to decide on all rules, or disputes yourself.

Each game will be best 2 for 3, with the winner moving on. Single elimination.

Now then post in here or pm me, or notify me in some way if you want to play. We'll work out a schedule and bracket once we get some people interested.

Those registered:
Jebus
Bert
Neel
Strider
Tasura
corncracker
Hsu
Behold the Void
TheBrent
Ultima Shadow
Yamaneko
NINJA_Ryu

Well, that's 12, so we should get this thing underway. I'll give it until Saturday in case there's some other people that still want in. Otherwise, this is it, and I'll get to work on the bracket.

Edit: I think I may have put this in the wrong forum, if this goes in GG please move, and sticky if at all possible.

Strider
05-16-2006, 05:38 AM
I am so in.

Khaotic
05-16-2006, 05:52 AM
I'd be more than happy to own you all, too bad I don't understand the interface of the progam. :(

Jebus
05-16-2006, 05:55 AM
I'd be more than happy to own you all, too bad I don't understand the interface of the progam. :(

Well, figure it out and get back to me. It's not all that hard. Whenever I play I usually ignore most of the stuff, and just play it like at a tournament. What with telling the other person your turns over and such.

Khaotic
05-16-2006, 05:59 AM
So this isn't like the online MTG program thing where everything is computerized?

Jebus
05-16-2006, 06:04 AM
So this isn't like the online MTG program thing where everything is computerized?

No, because that one costs money.

Tasura
05-16-2006, 08:47 AM
Since i didnt know about this thread and i was elpinf Neel and Bert with deck stuff, i think im going to regsiter too, I even registered a #Magic channel on chat without knowing about this.

Edit: Ive used this program before, its a little wacky in that it doesnt stop you from doing anyhting out of turn or anyhting, and depending on your firewall you might not be able to connect to the other person, its a bit weird, but decent once you get the hang of it =P

NeoCracker
05-16-2006, 09:24 AM
As soon as I figure how to add the patch to do this I'm in, I'll see how well my old birds will stand up to you people.

Since I can't seem to remember most of those cards now, Saddly I will be unable to use the birds again.

Jebus
05-16-2006, 10:05 AM
All you need to do is copy all the files into the Apprentice directory, and then the card data file into the "sets" subfolder.

NeoCracker
05-16-2006, 10:21 AM
Thanks

Shoeberto
05-16-2006, 01:09 PM
I'm down.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-16-2006, 09:22 PM
I need to teach you all to play L5R and have you get the Java program eventually.

I'm down for this, let me download and try to reintroduce myself to the rules. I'll do that tonight.

escobert
05-16-2006, 09:27 PM
Tas and I are getting ready to run a game right now. ^_^

Drift
05-16-2006, 09:37 PM
i'm selling my real cards on ebay btw so if anyone wants some commons, uncommons, and a book full of rares find me in chat please.

TheBrent
05-16-2006, 09:41 PM
I play in real life. I run Myrs!!!!! :D

Drift
05-16-2006, 09:42 PM
i gave up magic cause of money and the realisation i was obsessing over it.

Tasura
05-16-2006, 10:58 PM
Tas and I are getting ready to run a game right now. ^_^

I won =D

i'm selling my real cards on ebay btw so if anyone wants some commons, uncommons, and a book full of rares find me in chat please.

If I had money id buy them.

Ultima Shadow
05-16-2006, 11:05 PM
Hmmm... I don't play Magic in real life, but I've thought about doing it many times. This may be my big chanse to find out more about Magic and whenever it's worth my time and money or not. I guess I'm in. I'll just have to get all the rules down first. :greenie:

Shoeberto
05-16-2006, 11:06 PM
This program is neat, though I'm going to take some time refamiliarizing myself with deck building. I was never very good at it to begin with :X

Strider
05-16-2006, 11:50 PM
I just whupped Tasura twice in a row. I feel good about this.

escobert
05-16-2006, 11:54 PM
I've got 90 cents for them all!

Yamaneko
05-16-2006, 11:59 PM
I'm in as long as I can find some time to figure this program out.

escobert
05-17-2006, 12:00 AM
It's pretty easy. If I can figure it out anyone can.

Jebus
05-17-2006, 03:25 AM
I'm in as long as I can find some time to figure this program out.

You should have plenty of time. I'm giving people about a week to sign up. Unless I get a bunch more people in, in which case I'll start after about sixteen people sign up.

Also, kyuzo and TheBrent: Are you two in, or not?

Drift
05-17-2006, 07:09 AM
hell no

ZeZipster
05-17-2006, 10:25 PM
I might join in. I'm not too big of an Apprentice fan, I mostly use Magic Workstation because I like the pretty pictures. When's the deadline? Does Apprentice have a logging option so we can have proof of T1 legal decks (MW actually has a T1 legal deck authentication code, IDK about Apprentice) and that no one cheated?

Jebus
05-18-2006, 06:32 AM
I might join in. I'm not too big of an Apprentice fan, I mostly use Magic Workstation because I like the pretty pictures. When's the deadline? Does Apprentice have a logging option so we can have proof of T1 legal decks (MW actually has a T1 legal deck authentication code, IDK about Apprentice) and that no one cheated?

Well, we all decided on Apprentice because at the time we were having trouble getting certain parts of MWS to work, but I've figured it all out now. Maybe we'll use MWS for the next one.

And the deadline is either a week, or when we get 12 people. Whichever comes first, so if you sign up, we're all ready.

As for Apprentice, I'm afraid you'll have to do all checking for legality and stuff yourself, it's pretty much bare bones. We'll use MWS next time, though.

Shoeberto
05-18-2006, 12:43 PM
I forget, is T1 the thing where it's only from current sets, or is that T2?

Jebus
05-18-2006, 01:18 PM
I forget, is T1 the thing where it's only from current sets, or is that T2?

T1 is every set, except for banned and restricted cards. T2 is the most current sets only.

Ultima Shadow
05-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Like I said, I'm new to the game. But I finally think I've got a hang of how it works, though. Now I just need to get a hang of this Apprentice tool as well. It would be great if I could play someone who got some free time their hands tomorrow (don't have the time today)... just so that I can make sure I've understood everything correctly. :cool:

Edit: By the way... what exactly does "Trample" do? :greenie:

Madonna
05-18-2006, 11:15 PM
Trample means that damage carries through a defender or a group of them. I.e., Crash of Rhinos are, like, 6/4 with Trample and you attack Jebus with them. He blocks your Crash with a 1/1 Bog Imp. Normally, combat would end there. Instead, your Crash deals 1 damage to the Imp, kills it, and the other 5 damage carries on to the player.

Multiple blockers word on the same idea. If you kill all the blockers and have power left over, let's say you're blocked by a 1/1 and 3/4, the Crash of Rhinos kill them both (dies itself too, 'cause the blockers dealt it enough damage) and 1 damage carries onto your opponent.

I think I explained that adequately.

I'm going to see if I can even connect to someone before concretely saying I am in.

ZeZipster
05-19-2006, 01:58 AM
I'll join in the next tourny. I'm not about to have my ass handed to me because I'm unfamiliar with Dissention. I'll check out some of the MWS features during the summer to see if there's something tangible we can use like logs or something so we can have something atleast close to a judge ruling. That being said, do we have any official judges here?

NeoCracker
05-19-2006, 03:41 AM
Just so you all know, the morphing system in this thing sucks. So, to try and keep it fair, before you play a creature with morph say your playing a morph, because you have to play it then flip it down giving them a chance ot see its ability, and if you say it we can go off a trust system and avoid looking at the morph ability by mistake. Any agreements?

Also, I still need to get some practice to remember the rules, I just kicked Hsu's but, so any one else want some Pre-tournament beatings?

NINJA_Ryu
05-19-2006, 06:47 AM
Can i still register? if i can, sign me up!

Jebus
05-19-2006, 12:26 PM
Ok. That's 12. So I'll give it until tomorrow to give the people who don't know whether or not to play time to decide.

Ultima Shadow
05-19-2006, 01:23 PM
Also, I still need to get some practice to remember the rules, I just kicked Hsu's but, so any one else want some Pre-tournament beatings?I'll send you a PM as soon as we're both online. Then we can play some against each other. :cool:

Edit: Oh, and thanks for explaining what Trample does, Genius Lynx.

NINJA_Ryu
05-20-2006, 01:06 AM
question, how do we get the mana? forests, swamps, etc, i have all my spells and creatures, but no mana!

NeoCracker
05-20-2006, 01:21 AM
Just go to card Selection and search for the mana type. Just search Forest, plain, etc.

Madonna
05-20-2006, 02:59 AM
Just played a game with Hsu, and I am ready to get my butt handed to me. I am in!

NINJA_Ryu
05-20-2006, 03:00 AM
Ready for a match! PM if you want to have a skirmish

Tasura
05-20-2006, 03:27 AM
And unless you've played with the new sets, I don't recomend using them, they are a tad confusing, well, more then a tad, and I was just in a dissention draft, Dissention, is nasty, very very Nasty.

escobert
05-20-2006, 09:11 AM
Yeah that's what I've heard :(. I also heard red/black got fucked :(

Jebus
05-20-2006, 04:48 PM
Okies, it's Saturday, and nobody else has decided to enter, so here's the matchups for round 1:

Behold the Void
vs.
NINJA_Ryu

Strider
vs.
corncracker

Jebus
Vs.
Bert

Hsu
vs.
Yamaneko

Neel
vs.
Tasura

The Brent
vs.
Ultima Shadow

As previously stated, best two out of three wins, with the winner notifying me of victory.

Each paring should negotiate a fair time for each to play. The deadline for results is three days from now.

Tasura
05-20-2006, 05:48 PM
Yeah that's what I've heard :(. I also heard red/black got smurfed :(

Actaully, Red/Black owns in dissention, out of the 9 decks playing, 6 were Rakdos (Red/black) 2 were Azurias (White/Blue) and 1 was Simnic (Blue/Green) and forgive any spellings of the guild names =P

escobert
05-20-2006, 07:04 PM
woww, my friends said red/black got fucked and only a fast white/blue deck was any good now.

Ultima Shadow
05-20-2006, 07:41 PM
Anyone else having connection problems? >_<

NeoCracker
05-20-2006, 07:43 PM
It seems since me and Shads are on routers, one of us need to forward the IP on it, but my comp keeps saying Authroization required.

-N-
05-21-2006, 12:47 AM
Sideboards are accessed by starting a new game after each round, btw.

I had no connectivity issues playing Tasura, but now I have run into problems playing other people. I don't know what the deal is.

edit: Tasura won our match, btw.

Ultima Shadow
05-21-2006, 11:25 AM
Oh my. I won the first match without even playing. I truely am awesome. :greenie:

Jebus
05-21-2006, 12:09 PM
Oh my. I won the first match without even playing. I truely am awesome. :greenie:

Yeah, TheBrent sent me a pm saying he was dropping out.

Ultima Shadow
05-21-2006, 12:36 PM
Yeah, he told me too. Seems like he had some trouble getting apprentice to run properly.

NeoCracker
05-21-2006, 09:42 PM
Problem fixed, and soon Strider shall fall to my greatnes!

Ultima Shadow
05-21-2006, 09:58 PM
Yay! I won the first MTG match I ever played. I truely AM awesome. :cool:

:p

NeoCracker
05-22-2006, 12:16 AM
I beat Strider, Bring on the next one

NINJA_Ryu
05-22-2006, 12:32 AM
Me and Behold The Void are having some connection problems, we have each others IPs and are trying to connect, but no luck

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-22-2006, 12:37 AM
I should also note that I connected with Hsu without any difficulties.

NeoCracker
05-22-2006, 12:42 AM
You two, meat me in #EoFF, I can walk you through what to do.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-22-2006, 03:08 AM
Here's a rulings question.

I have a creature that costs a certain number of mana. I have another creature that reduces that particular type of creature's mana cost by a set number.

So, say I play a creature that has echo. When it comes time to pay the echo cost, do I need to pay the amount of mana that is its printed cost, or can I pay reduced due to my other creature that reduces its price.

NeoCracker
05-22-2006, 12:08 PM
I believe you have to pay the full cost that time, but honestly that Issue never came up with me. Also, after all the times a CK has posted in this thread I'm surprised it hasn't been moved to general gaming like Jebus asked it to be. Shame on you Hsu and Void.

Also Shads beat me only because I had a total of 2 mana out that game.

Ultima Shadow
05-22-2006, 03:33 PM
Also Shads beat me only because I had a total of 2 mana out that game.Yup, that sucked. I had hoped for a more exciting match. Oh well... we'll just have to play again sometime. :greenie:

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-22-2006, 06:20 PM
This is a Collectible Card Game, so I've been treating it as Lounge-worthy, as I would do for any other thread about a CCG.

Yamaneko
05-22-2006, 09:38 PM
Hsu and I are going to duel sometime on Friday.

Jebus
05-22-2006, 09:54 PM
Hsu and I are going to duel sometime on Friday.

The original deadline was Tuesday, but ok.

There seems to be some problems with the program, so I'll move it up to Friday.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-23-2006, 01:58 AM
Reporting my victory :)

NeoCracker
05-23-2006, 02:03 AM
Then I believe you have earned the right to be my next victam, enjoy your stay in this tournament while it lasts. You shall feel my wrath for both times you forgot about me in your RP.

-N-
05-23-2006, 02:49 AM
If Jebus/Bert haven't played and Hsu/Yams haven't played, you might want to just consider promoting those to second round matches so you have 2^N players and an even fallout for single elimination to proceed.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-23-2006, 06:28 AM
Then I believe you have earned the right to be my next victam, enjoy your stay in this tournament while it lasts. You shall feel my wrath for both times you forgot about me in your RP.

Rase's suffered being forgotten more, and don't be so sure that you will win :D.

Ultima Shadow
05-23-2006, 07:04 AM
If Jebus/Bert haven't played and Hsu/Yams haven't played, you might want to just consider promoting those to second round matches so you have 2^N players and an even fallout for single elimination to proceed.*agrees*

Jebus
05-23-2006, 11:14 AM
If Jebus/Bert haven't played and Hsu/Yams haven't played, you might want to just consider promoting those to second round matches so you have 2^N players and an even fallout for single elimination to proceed.

Good man.

Okies. Round two:

Behold the Void
vs.
corncracker

Jebus
vs.
Bert

Hsu
vs.
Yamaneko

Tasura
vs.
Ultimate Shadow.

You guys have till Saturday.

NeoCracker
05-23-2006, 01:10 PM
Well Void, While that may be true, I'm a bitter and hatefull person, so its easy to set me off on a vengful spree of anger, I've already eaten five babies and destroyed a convineint store over it.

And I will so beat you, my hate destroyed Strider, and you are the next.

Ultima Shadow
05-23-2006, 02:00 PM
Well Void, While that may be true, I'm a bitter and hatefull person, so its easy to set me off on a vengful spree of anger, I've already eaten five babies and destroyed a convineint store over it.

And I will so beat you, my hate destroyed Strider, and you are the next.xD

corncracker's a true villian. :p

Anyways... so next up is Tasura, eh? Ha! I will beat you just as badly as I beat The Brent!

...which basically means your Apprentice will mess up and you won't be able to participate, and thus I get another auto-win. :greenie:

Nah, seriously though... I look forward to my first REAL match in the tourney. :cool:

Tasura
05-23-2006, 07:30 PM
I won =D ^_^

Ultima Shadow
05-23-2006, 07:47 PM
Awww, how sad. I got my ass kicked already! :(

Good job, Tasura! :p

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-24-2006, 02:54 AM
Reporting my win again. Too bad corncracker got screwed on his starts, I'd have liked to have seen his deck in full action.

NeoCracker
05-24-2006, 04:07 AM
I determined I need to rework a few things. Its not as good as it once was,
now if It was I could have won, maybe, possibly. It at least would have been close

Croyles
05-24-2006, 04:07 PM
I havnt played Magic in since I was 11 lol, I ended up selling all my cards for like 2 pounds because no one was interested.
The program doesnt work. Says silver is not a valid integer.
On the website it says how to deal with it. But that requires going into the options of the program WHICH I CANT because of the error message.

Yamaneko
05-24-2006, 05:17 PM
I'm going to pull myself out of the tourney, so if someone wants to take my place feel free. I'm not going to be around much before Friday and found out I have to work that day. :( Also, I've been tinkering with Magic Workstation and it's really nice. All I need left to do is figure out how to get the artwork in the card. When/if you decide to use MW for the next tourney count me in and I'll be sure to set aside some time. Sorry again for lagging the tourney behind.

Jebus
05-24-2006, 07:21 PM
Yeah, we'll be using MWS next time. And there was a program that'll download all the card arts for you, just gotta find the link for it again.

Yamaneko
05-24-2006, 07:28 PM
MW Assistant. I can't get it to download, though, I get "error not found" on every zip. Maybe because I'm behind a firewall?

EDIT: OK, I ended up using a different ini file which points to a more complete source of artwork. I've only downloaded the 9E set (36MB :eek: ). Works flawlessly.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-24-2006, 08:55 PM
Does MWS have all the old cards? I need my old school cards.

Yamaneko
05-24-2006, 10:05 PM
It has everything up to Dissention, even misprinted, promos, and oversized cards.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-24-2006, 10:55 PM
Even unglued? :)

Yamaneko
05-24-2006, 11:08 PM
Yep.

Tasura
05-25-2006, 01:20 AM
I have an unhinged deck >.>

-N-
05-25-2006, 05:51 AM
By the way, there's a #Magic channel on irc.eyesonff.com. *is often looking for ways to procrastinate on work and nothing is better than a long drawn out game of Magic with a slow Wall deck, right Lynx?*

edczxcvbnm
05-25-2006, 06:30 AM
It has everything up to Dissention, even misprinted, promos, and oversized cards.

Does it have all the versions of cards also? There is a green enchantment in the Mirage series that they changed after the initial printing because people were using the card and it was more damaging than they intended so they changed the wording.

I think it was called Solitude or something. It disabled all enchantments, abilities and the ability to cast spells, instants, ect. unless it was your turn. It made you pretty much useless unless it was your turn. Screws over a counter deck though.

They changed it to be more forgiving as the original wording was way to devastating and not what they had intended. I know there are other cards like that. Also but I use this one because I actually own it.

When I have time I may download this and make a deck...I quit buying cards and stuff around 5th generation. I started at about 4th. I am sure by now there are a whole slew of abilities I have no clue about and I will just choose old school cards.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-25-2006, 06:41 AM
I would assume that we would play under the most current errata rulings.

edczxcvbnm
05-25-2006, 06:50 AM
We have always played 'What the card reads' in my house so if I could use the older printing I would. This could also fall under rules determined between the duelers before a match.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-25-2006, 06:56 AM
I know Legend of the Five Rings, at least, has a specific rule that all cards MUST be played under the rulings of the current errata/latest printing. I think that would probably be the best way to go, as erratas are meant to fix game balance and utterly broken combos.

Jebus
05-26-2006, 05:50 PM
Well, I've been having some problem lately. Both with the program itself, and with scheduling, so I decided to remove myself from the tournament this time.

So. Round three:

Behold the Void
vs.
Bert

and

Hsu
vs.
Tasura

Deadline is Monday.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-27-2006, 09:18 PM

Ultima Shadow
05-27-2006, 11:17 PM
Void's in the final! Congratulations, man! :cool:

Madonna
05-28-2006, 08:41 PM
By the way, there's a #Magic channel on irc.eyesonff.com. *is often looking for ways to procrastinate on work and nothing is better than a long drawn out game of Magic with a slow Wall deck, right Lynx?*I'm not even in this tournament, so I don't know why I'm being mentioned! >:o

I totally beat Tasura twice yesterday. Not that it bears mentioning. ;__; I'm rooting for you, Hsu! I want to see you in the finals!

Shoeberto
05-29-2006, 12:48 AM
I won against Tas, though to be fair, he spanked me pretty good in the non-tourney game we played afterwards.

Jebus
05-29-2006, 01:06 AM
OMGWTFinals.

Behold the Void
vs.
Hsu

For awhile I wasn't expecting to make it this far, considering everyone's problems with Apprentice.

Anyway. Final tiem, woo!

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-29-2006, 07:44 PM
Victory goes to me!

The dragons have proven their superiority this day. As has the early turn burn, Howling Mines, and Mana Flares with which to bring about an unrelenting storm of the critters.

Jebus
05-30-2006, 03:03 AM
Holy watcha crap. A dragon deck won something.

Then again, I shouldn't be surprised. It's been so long since I've done anything non T2.

Anyway, congrats, Void. Wish there was a prize, but at least you have the satisfaction of winning, right?

Anyway, how often should these be? Yearly? Every few months?

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-30-2006, 03:05 AM
I'm open to whenever, just give me a time and I'll play. But probably on some kind of monthish schedule.

Jebus
05-30-2006, 03:07 AM
Well, either way, we'll be using MWS next time, so be sure to download that, and MWS Assistant to get the card art if you want.