PDA

View Full Version : GCSEs

starseeker
05-16-2006, 08:51 AM
Who's doing them? What are you studying? Are you spending all your exam leave playing computer games? Post in here

(GCSEs are exams taken in England and Wales at the end of year 11, when you're 15/16)

I'm taking English, English Literature, Higher Maths, Double Science (higher), RE (contemporary moral issues and St Marks Gospel), Food Technology, French, Japanese and History.

Zell's Fists of Fury
05-16-2006, 09:07 AM
I seriously thought this was about goatse.
Oh, the dissappointment.

Dreddz
05-16-2006, 09:26 AM
Mine are soon, Help :cry:

starseeker
05-16-2006, 09:34 AM
My first proper exam is tomorrow, I've already had both of my language oral exams.

Levian
05-16-2006, 12:22 PM
I'm taking English, English Literature, Higher Maths, Double Science (higher), RE (contemporary moral issues and St Marks Gospel)

Resident Evil with moral issues and Gospel? :mad2:

Craig
05-16-2006, 12:48 PM
Well, when I was in school I pretty much slept through Years 10 and 11, didn't revise and barely did any coursework. I ended up walking away with a B in Art, a C in English something or other, a Double C in Science, a bunch of D's in the other stuff and a U in Business (which the majority of my class got)

It got me onto the College course I wanted to do, so I have no regrets.

~SapphireStar~
05-16-2006, 01:13 PM
Done mine over 7 years ago. I didnt get great marks because I didnt put time and effort in. I managed to get to college and on to uni so not bad. Good luck to those taking them.

Captain Maxx Power
05-16-2006, 01:22 PM
Seriously, come three or four years time, you'll wish you were back doing your GCSEs. I know I do. Simpler times.

Yuna-Lenne
05-16-2006, 03:19 PM
I'm taking 3 english exams, 2 history exams, french writing, reading and listening (I've already done the oral), 2 food tech exams, 1 drama exam, maths calculator and maths non calculator, 1 R.S Exam (I passed the other with 1 mark off an A), chemistry, biology and physics. Wow...there's a lot of exams there. :p

Shoden
05-16-2006, 04:46 PM
I'm taking 8.

English, Maths, Science, ICT, French, DT, Art, History and Travel + Tourism.

My school never let me take choices, the greedy bastards... Anyway I'm estimated to get D's E's and C's. All Foundation eexcept Maths.

I'm aiming for a C in Eng lit, Science and History. I could probably pull a C in DT and ICT.

Yuna-Lenne
05-16-2006, 05:18 PM
English, Maths, Science, ICT, French, DT, Art, History and Travel + Tourism.

Oh, we took ICT too, though we did it in year 10. It was a lot of hard work, doing the coursework, but the exam was pretty easy so that's one GCSE passed with a B! :)

Shoden
05-16-2006, 05:24 PM
I cannot get B's even if I tried, I'm doing foundation in all subjects except maths so the highest I can get is C.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
05-16-2006, 05:49 PM
i did mine three years ago. Like Maxx Power said come the time of A-Levels GCSE will seem like a toddle and likewise when you're at Uni.

Burtsplurt
05-16-2006, 06:08 PM
Um, I took mine 8 years ago...

I did 11 GCSEs at the time. I think I have 3A*s, 7As and a B. They don't really count for anything much now, though. I've only had to prove I had them twice: once when applying for college, and the other time when I was interviewed for teacher training.

Chloe.
05-16-2006, 06:27 PM
I havent done them yet :D......I'm only in year 8.....

Zeldy
05-16-2006, 06:41 PM
Im starting GCSE work now; Maths Statistics is really boring xD

I have 2 years till my GCSE's. Ive only just finished one set of exams and teachers are going on about more.

Itsunari 2000
05-16-2006, 06:52 PM
I've did them. Onward to University and what 85% call a " meaningless existential hell."

Lost Number
05-16-2006, 07:23 PM
I have my maths in 2 weeks. AND I AINT FINISHED THE COURSE YET. Im screwed. And next year, I do ANOTHER maths, technology, english(im buggered) RE(i had to, and im buggered), History, T.A. Science (seperate Bio Chem and Physics) and Irish.

starseeker
05-16-2006, 08:52 PM
In English and RE you can get away with making stuff up, that's my usual way of getting through them.

Lost Number
05-16-2006, 08:56 PM
In English and RE you can get away with making stuff up, that's my usual way of getting through them.
Yup. Qouting the bible dunt come easily to me, though. And english...my WORST subject.

Imperfectionist
05-16-2006, 09:46 PM
I'm starting my GCSE work now, I'm taking English Lit, English Grammar, Higher Maths, Triple Science, Phys Ed, RE, French, Art, Textiles and History. I was gonna take latin as well but I was crap at that so I dropped out...

Spiffing Cheese
05-16-2006, 10:24 PM
I'm doing three this year (English Lit. (in a week ;___; ), English Lang. and Maths) because I'm doing the fast track scheme stupid thing where you sit them a year early, and next year I'll be doing Music, Geography (AAAAAH DIE), Welsh, French, Chemistry, Biology and Physics and possibly Statistics. So I'm doing ten altogether (or possibly eleven). :D I don't know how well I'm gonna do but I'm predicted to get As or A*s in everything, including Physics, which is retarded because my Physics average for this year is 45%. >=O

Heath
05-17-2006, 08:27 AM
I did them last year. 3 A*s, 5 As, 1 B and 1 D. They're much easier than you expect them to be, except that horrible English Language paper I had. Combination of a bad day for paper 2 and two bad papers meant I ended up with an A, when I was hoping for A*s in both the English courses.

starseeker
05-17-2006, 02:45 PM
I did them last year. 3 A*s, 5 As, 1 B and 1 D. They're much easier than you expect them to be, except that horrible English Language paper I had. Combination of a bad day for paper 2 and two bad papers meant I ended up with an A, when I was hoping for A*s in both the English courses.

I'd have to be blessed by an angel just to get a B in english. I cannot write essays to save my life. Ditto English Lit.

Jess
05-17-2006, 04:21 PM
My GCSEs start next week. I have English, English Lit, Maths, Statistics, Double Science, PE, RE and Graphics.

I've already done my Art GCSE and I finished my GNVQ in ICT months ago.

TheSpoonyBard
05-17-2006, 04:30 PM
Seriously, come three or four years time, you'll wish you were back doing your GCSEs. I know I do. Simpler times.
Agreed. My uni exams start in 6 days.

I think I did quite well in my GSCEs. 4 A's, 5 B's, 3 C's. I had English, English Lit, Maths, French, Triple Science, Geography, History, Statistics, IT short course, Business Studies short course and R.E. short course.

By far the most difficult were the English papers, so good luck with those.

Lost Number
05-17-2006, 04:43 PM
nonononononnonononononononnonono
Maths in 2 weeks. Not even done 3D trig. Im buggered. Oh yes, do it in one year they said. Easy they said. Nothing to it they said.
English is going to be indescribably bad. I cannot write to save my life. On the other hand, I could pass Technology and Chemistry with a blind fold, we have done pretty much every past paper question from the past 5 years...

Zeldy
05-17-2006, 04:46 PM
And english...my WORST subject.
Seriously? I absoloutly love English. I get top grades xD

Shaun
05-17-2006, 05:01 PM
Doing AS-level exams at college right now. Just did a Computing exam today. I personally think I aced it, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

starseeker
05-17-2006, 06:09 PM
Maths in 2 weeks. Not even done 3D trig. Im buggered. Oh yes, do it in one year they said. Easy they said. Nothing to it they said.
English is going to be indescribably bad. I cannot write to save my life. On the other hand, I could pass Technology and Chemistry with a blind fold, we have done pretty much every past paper question from the past 5 years...

The trick for 3D trig, I find, is to find the triangle in the cube.

Lost Number
05-17-2006, 07:53 PM
Nah, we aint even STARTED it, so im screwed if it comes up.

starseeker
05-17-2006, 09:00 PM
The trick for maths is to use what you know in a different situation or combine techniques. Knowing simultaneous equations is also good because the questions on it give a bucketload of marks.

Lost Number
05-17-2006, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the tips, maths is usually my bets subject, but if we aint taught it, it useless. In that sentence you have the beginning of why my english is rubbish...

Heath
05-17-2006, 10:32 PM

I had slightly over a year to do my maths. I sat the exam in November of year 11 and got a B; three marks off an A. I was absolutely gutted, considering I got an A on the mock when most got B's. But alas, I resat in the Summer and got an A anyway.

starseeker
05-18-2006, 09:42 AM
I want to do further maths for A-level so I need to get an A* in maths which I should get if I revise.

Lost Number
05-18-2006, 04:38 PM
I want to do further maths for A-level so I need to get an A* in maths which I should get if I revise.
Same here...curse these bloody universitys for needing it for Engineering...

Madame Adequate
05-18-2006, 05:50 PM
I did my GCSEs a few years ago now. Four years, I think? Sounds about right. Didn't bother trying, so my grades weren't as good as they should have been, but I did well enough at A-levels to get me into uni this year.

English: A (Spoken grade A*)
English lit: A
Maths: A
Double Science: B and B
Sociology: B
History: C
French: D
RMT: E (I suck at building things :( )

Badge
05-19-2006, 03:40 PM
Well I hate school!!!!I can't wait to leave the only GCSE i'll be needing is my Music because i'm studying it at college!*dances* The worst subject is German but i get the best grades in it..what is that???I'm spending most of my time here getting absorbed into my own little world!Hehe good luck everyone ;)