PDA

View Full Version : Awkward translation...

Peter_20
05-16-2006, 03:15 PM
Why did the translator make such a hasty job with this game?
I mean, on some occasions (s)he REALLY messed up.
Already from the start Cecil's realistic, regretful response to the King's orders "...Alright." has been changed to a free-spirited "Good." - yeah, good, soon we arrive to STEAL THE CRYSTAL, YAY!
That's the impression I get, anyway; and this is just a minor, meaningless grain of sand in the big desert.
For some damn reason, Kain's backstory was cut down from, like ten "windows", to three, or something: we don't get to know him very well.
There's also the pathetic lines "Why the Moon?" "For the power."

WTF?!
Sometimes I get the feeling that the chars are afraid of speaking!
Rosa's sweet line "Not the Cecil I love..." to Cecil right before the Mist mission has been completely ditched as well, reasons unknown.

Seriously, I've played versions MUCH better translated than this one; although I do love this game for the SNES, I still can't forgive the translators for being so respectless.
This is actually very common; translators always tend to screw up dialogues.

The only thing that really rocked and stood out in this translation was the immortal classic "You spoony Bard!"

Captain Maxx Power
05-16-2006, 06:50 PM
You need some cheese. (http://demented3d.com/ffiv/)

Peter_20
05-16-2006, 06:58 PM
You need some cheese. (http://demented3d.com/ffiv/)I love sarcastic humour. :love:

eestlinc
05-20-2006, 02:42 AM
the GBA translation is much better, except you don't get to enjoy parts like the lungs, heart, and passage.

Tavrobel
05-20-2006, 02:46 AM
Why did the translator make such a hasty job with this game?
I mean, on some occasions (s)he REALLY messed up.
Already from the start Cecil's realistic, regretful response to the King's orders "...Alright." has been changed to a free-spirited "Good." - yeah, good, soon we arrive to STEAL THE CRYSTAL, YAY!
That's the impression I get, anyway; and this is just a minor, meaningless grain of sand in the big desert.
For some damn reason, Kain's backstory was cut down from, like ten "windows", to three, or something: we don't get to know him very well.
There's also the pathetic lines "Why the Moon?" "For the power."

WTF?!
Sometimes I get the feeling that the chars are afraid of speaking!
Rosa's sweet line "Not the Cecil I love..." to Cecil right before the Mist mission has been completely ditched as well, reasons unknown.

Seriously, I've played versions MUCH better translated than this one; although I do love this game for the SNES, I still can't forgive the translators for being so respectless.
This is actually very common; translators always tend to screw up dialogues.

The only thing that really rocked and stood out in this translation was the immortal classic "You spoony Bard!"

It's not that they disrespected it, it's just the team that was assigned to it was probably not fluent in English, despite their flair for Japanese speech. It's not like now where you have someone who is well versed in BOTH languages. They just didn't have the option/luxury back then.

Cheese is good.