PDA

View Full Version : Has your car ever been burglarized?

hardboiled
05-17-2006, 04:17 AM
So on my block, people have been getting burglarized often. I got cds stolen w/ my once favorite Fat Boy Slim cd, another person got their laptop stolen, another their gas card, and of course the robber is so stingy they steal the toll money in those little compartments that are ment for little trinkets...

But lately I think I found out who's doing it. If you saw my other post on this site regarding not sleeping, you know I'm up till 4-5AM... I noticed this car comes by at 2:15AM or after and slowly drives up every two houses and stops... I hear the car door slam and someone get out and get back in very quicky afterwards... One night, I heard a car alarm down the street partially go on and turn off abruptly.

So one last night I followed the car with my camcorder in hand.. I followed them to these apartments near my house and parked but I couldn't get a damn closeup on their license plate!! So I called the cops 2 nights in a row after seeing the car again and again. One cop was kinda apathetic like "yeah it happens (meaning car burglaries), just lock your doors." That kinda pissed me off and made me feel even more helpless than I felt b4...

So people will just get robbed? The cops can't do anything about it? It makes me want to become a superhero. Put on some tights and whoop some criminal ass!!!! It also makes me want to keep on staying up late and formulate a plan to catch them...

How do you guys feel after being burglarized? and have you ever been in the position to almost catch the people doing it? What did you do?
Any ideas on what I can do?

RSL
05-17-2006, 04:20 AM
About six years ago someone got into my car (I stupidly didn't have it locked) and attempted to steal my CD player. All they accomplished was ripping off the face of it (it wasn't supposed to be detatchable.) Then they took my CDs.

There was no way for me to know who did it, so I never even reported it. There would have been nothing that the cops could have done I would imagine.

StarChild
05-17-2006, 04:42 AM
my car has never been broken into (and now that I say that...) but one of my good friends has had her car broken into three times. :cry:

Freya
05-17-2006, 04:46 AM
I've never had it happen to me. I'm surprised more poepl in my town dont have that problem. NO ONE locks thier doors. You can get into anyones car.

eestlinc
05-17-2006, 05:05 AM
someone keyed my car once, and someone else walked across the hood leaving a bunch of dents another time, but never been broken into at least.

jaytek13
05-17-2006, 05:09 AM
Yes I have. Except I think it was someone I know. They stole my radio and my amp, and my radio really wasn't worth anything, but I had like a $400 amp. I assume it was someone I knew since I believe that to be the reason they broke into my car in the first place.

As far as doing something about it if you catch them in the act, I wouldn't recommend it. You never know what they are carrying with them, and your attempt to save a few cd's could cost you your life. You have to assume the worst of the deamenor of these people.

And car alarms? Useless... People immediately assume someone was just to close and simply turn them off without a thought. And rightly so, since they do go off often for no real reason. If your willing to run out and check on your car every time it goes of, I'd get one, but most people aren't. It'd be nice if they had ones that went off if a window was broken or something, instead of just when someone comes in close proximety (maybe they do?) but oh well.

Meat Puppet
05-17-2006, 05:31 AM
The last car I had got stolen from my driveway. I'm such an idiot.

Miriel
05-17-2006, 05:33 AM
I can't imagine that anyone would want to burglarize a beat up 96 Camry with bird crap all over it.

eestlinc
05-17-2006, 05:34 AM
yea, nobody seems to want to burglarize a 95 corrola with dents in the hood.

Necronopticous
05-17-2006, 05:35 AM
My friend got his Evangelion DVD box set stolen from the backseat of my car when we were in a friend's house. Another time my car got broken into in my apartment parking lot while I was asleep. The contents of my glove compartment were strewn across the carseats but I didn't have anything of value in there. Come to think of it, I think they did steal a few McDonalds Monopoly Game stamps that I had in my center divider. Sucks.

Get this, both of those times I was still driving a beat up '94 Geo Metro!

jaytek13
05-17-2006, 05:40 AM
My friend got his Evangelion DVD box set stolen from the backseat of my car when we were in a friend's house. Another time my car got broken into in my apartment parking lot while I was asleep. The contents of my glove compartment were strewn across the carseats but I didn't have anything of value in there. Come to think of it, I think they did steal a few McDonalds Monopoly Game stamps that I had in my center divider. Sucks.

Get this, both of those times I was still driving a beat up '94 Geo Metro!

Yea, it doesn't really matter to them. If you have a high crime rate in your area for car break-ins, then chances are your car will become a victim...

Your best bet to avoid this? Don't leave anything you would consider valuable on your seats, including your cd's (and that especially includes your little pocket wallet cd thing, I dunno what their called lol). Most of the time, if they aren't intending to steal your vehicle, if they don't immediately see anything in the car worth something, they will pass it over.

eestlinc
05-17-2006, 05:41 AM
i live in a high risk area for vehicle break-ins but i never leave anything out that looks worth taking. plus most people who live at my complex have much nicer cars than me. One guy had all four chrome wheels stolen off his Escalade. They left it on blocks in our parking deck. I laughed.

Miriel
05-17-2006, 06:04 AM
It vaguely relates to the topic of this thread, but my bike was stolen sometime in the past two weeks. Isn't that sad? I think it's sad. I liked my bike, it had a basket.

jaytek13
05-17-2006, 06:11 AM
It vaguely relates to the topic of this thread, but my bike was stolen sometime in the past two weeks. Isn't that sad? I think it's sad. I liked my bike, it had a basket.

Well, I lol'd, but i'm drunk, so don't be proud.

hardboiled
05-17-2006, 06:11 AM
Wow... an Escalade left on just bricks for its chrome wheels, Mcdonalds Monopoly Stamps (hope it wasn't Boardwalk), and someone got their car stolen.. Wow that's a full low to high spectrum of stolen goods.. I guess some people will steal anything... Also, too bad about that Evangelion series being stolen, damn hardcore anime lovers... Maybe next time leave a Evangelion dvd box in your car w/ the doors unlocked but leave some crap dvd in place of it like "Project Ako" that horrible movie "Better Luck Tommorrow."

theundeadhero
05-17-2006, 06:22 AM
Someone stole all of my Mom's Christian music out of her car about a year ago.

Strider
05-17-2006, 08:53 AM
I had my car stereo stolen out of my car last year, one day before a weeklong trip down to Disneyland. :( Silence sucks.

Oddly enough, they didn't take my CDs. Other cars on my block were also hit, though.

Loony BoB
05-17-2006, 10:18 AM
My Mum's car radio got robbed once or twice.

I'm pretty sure someone has stolen one of my toy cars at some point in my life, too. :(

~SapphireStar~
05-17-2006, 11:21 AM
10 years ago someone stole my mums car from her work carpark. Caught it all on film and they were caught, sadly they took all the cds, any cash and burnt it out. I hate it when people take your possessions, but to burn someone elses property makes me sick and it is uncalled for.

Anaisa
05-17-2006, 12:39 PM
The word burglarized makes me laugh. My mum's husband's van was stolen outside my old house. So he got a new one, and in the middle of the night my mum heard somebody getting into it. He was sitting in the van with the door open. So my mum opened the window and shouted: "Get out of that van you little bastard!". He said: "Is it your van?". And she said: "Yes you little sh*t". He said: "shame". Then got out of it and walked off. His van that had been stolen earlier was found dumped in the next town, and it had been set on fire. And the police wanted him to pay the removal fee. And some other idiot my mother went out with, decided to leave our car in a car park over night. Obviously it was stolen. If you were familiar with the area, which he was, you'd have to be a retard(which he is) to think you could leave your car in the place he did, and expect it to still be there in the morning.

Mr. Graves
05-18-2006, 04:25 AM
I've had a new T-shirt that the union steward had give me stolen from work.

I always lock my car. It even has an Auto-lock feature that goes off if it's left unlocked after five minites. It's a '05 Toyota Camry.

Shlup
05-18-2006, 05:20 AM
Only a very stupid person would bother with my car.

Calliope
05-18-2006, 08:21 AM
Hannah: Just get a bicycle built for two, then.
Tony: WHERE IS MY BICYCLE BUILT FOR FIVE?
Amanda: *memories of your car, Trailertrashley, and a drive through?*

I'm still bitter that someone walked into our house in broad daylight and stole my brother's playstation and my gameboy.

SammieBabe
05-18-2006, 06:16 PM
I used to work in the club district of Tampa, and someone busted out the passenger side window of my car for $8. Left my stereo, speakers, CD's, everything else. They cost me $100 to take 8 out of my center console.
Then about a year and half ago, someone broke in and stole my stereo and my CD's...
Pisses me off to still think about it...

Madame Adequate
05-18-2006, 07:35 PM
That's "burgled".

And my bike was stolen once, when I was about 15 or 16. Didn't bother me in and of itself, I hadn't used it for two years, but the principle of the thing annoyed me.

Laugh at face of Danger
05-18-2006, 07:37 PM
Fortunately, none of my posessions have ever been stolen, or none of my family's stuff has either! I guess i just live in quite a sweet place... though the old car (before is was cubed) got jumped on by hoodlums on new years eve/day

bipper
05-18-2006, 09:51 PM
I have nothing worth stealing.

Yuna-Lenne
05-19-2006, 10:01 AM
About 5 months ago we were on a walk and came back to find the car had be broken into. My dad leaves CDs lying everywhere and had a laptop case in there, though that was only full of papers. The laptop case got stolen, though we didn't realise until someone returned it to us because it had been dumped. Our home address was inside. :|