PDA

View Full Version : When they say based on a true story or based on actual events

darkchrono
05-17-2006, 06:49 AM
I just got done watching 'Wolf Creek' in which they said it was based on actual events. While watching it I didn't know how true it actually was but then at the end of the movie they started talking a bit about the investigations of the murders and listed the names of each of the characters that died and said that no trace of their bodies has ever been found. And then they even went on to say where the one individual who survived is living currently.

So that got me thinking that maybe these were actual real people and that the story was for the most part true (though they would of had to have made up how the girls died because the only testimony would have been from the guy and he was knocked out in a totally different area from where the girls were). But then I got on the net and discovered that the characters in the show were actually all ficticious and that the movie was just based on a number of different murders that took place in the Austrailian Outback during the 90's.

Making up a story based around a true event or events is all well and good. But why at the end of the movie (if the characters were all actually ficticious) state something like "no trace of \insert their name/ body has ever been found". And "\insert their name/ is currently living in Sydney Austrailia.

I think that is a little irritating when they try to make you think the characters were all actually real when infact the characters were all made up.

Zell's Fists of Fury
05-17-2006, 08:30 AM
When you think that the events that are happening are real, it makes the movie a little more frightening, interesting. It's common knowledge among filmmakers. Note Fargo. A totally made-up story, and characters, yet it was deemed "Based on actual events" because the Coen brothers thought it would be more exciting for the audience.

GooeyToast
05-17-2006, 11:14 PM
When you think that the events that are happening are real, it makes the movie a little more frightening, interesting. It's common knowledge among filmmakers. Note Fargo. A totally made-up story, and characters, yet it was deemed "Based on actual events" because the Coen brothers thought it would be more exciting for the audience.

Pretty much what I was about to say. Though Fargo is an awesome movie :D

Anaisa
05-17-2006, 11:27 PM
That whole "based on a true story" thing is pathetic. By based on a true story they usually mean there is the odd part of it that is true, but most of it is fictional.

Russielloyd
05-17-2006, 11:53 PM
I just got done watching 'Wolf Creek' in which they said it was based on actual events. While watching it I didn't know how true it actually was but then at the end of the movie they started talking a bit about the investigations of the murders and listed the names of each of the characters that died and said that no trace of their bodies has ever been found. And then they even went on to say where the one individual who survived is living currently.

So that got me thinking that maybe these were actual real people and that the story was for the most part true (though they would of had to have made up how the girls died because the only testimony would have been from the guy and he was knocked out in a totally different area from where the girls were). But then I got on the net and discovered that the characters in the show were actually all ficticious and that the movie was just based on a number of different murders that took place in the Austrailian Outback during the 90's.

Making up a story based around a true event or events is all well and good. But why at the end of the movie (if the characters were all actually ficticious) state something like "no trace of \insert their name/ body has ever been found". And "\insert their name/ is currently living in Sydney Austrailia.

I think that is a little irritating when they try to make you think the characters were all actually real when infact the characters were all made up.

***SPOILERS***

I watched that move a couple of weeks ago, i was more pissed off in how it was true than the actual movie it's self, if you get what i mean.

I mean the first half hour is how they come into the predicament of trying survive. Then you see the girls tied up and stuff, which basically got me thinking nearly all the way throguh, that these girls must survive for it to be true.

When their demises finally come and you see the guy survive and they say "no trace of \insert their name/ body has ever been found". And "\insert their name/ is currently living in Sydney Austrailia, then you must think that his has come from the guys point of view.

Though that's completely ball, because this guy basically throughout the movie had been knocked out and tied up, only waking up and escaping with no trouble at the end of the movie. And after basically watching the girls failure to survive, you clearly see it wasn't a true story and in my case, spoils the movie.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
05-18-2006, 12:33 AM
I hate it when they say that during movies just to find out it was all fake. I always wondered if they 'Amiteville Horror' was real. I never really got that into the story of the movie. But I always wondered what really happened in that house or that it was all fake. If I was completely fake, I would be sooo disapointed.

Russielloyd
05-18-2006, 12:39 AM
Well the guy came out and said that he almost killed his family, so on that basis. the movie is from a true story, as to the fact if the story was made up by him, is another matter, if you get me.

I like to beileve he was telling the truth.

darkchrono
05-18-2006, 12:56 AM
Actually Russie all three kids were made up entirely in the movie 'Wolf Creek' (even the guy).

The actual murders were based off of a series of about eight murders which took place in South Austrailia called the Snowtown murders. The media formed the opinion that the movie was based off of the backpacking murders which took place in Austrailia as well. But the directors stated it was indeed based on the Snowtown murders. So all three kids were completely ficticious and the premise of the movie was just based upon eight murders that took place probably over a rather lengthy period of time.

Here is the link that talks about the Snowtown murders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowtown_murders

Rengori
05-18-2006, 01:03 AM
In Wolf Creek, if it was just the deranged maniac and the victims, how does anyone know what when they were being killed?

Russielloyd
05-18-2006, 01:26 AM
In Wolf Creek, if it was just the deranged maniac and the victims, how does anyone know what when they were being killed?

Big Brother style, with all the hidden cameras...

Actually Russie all three kids were made up entirely in the movie 'Wolf Creek' (even the guy).

The actual murders were based off of a series of about eight murders which took place in South Austrailia called the Snowtown murders. The media formed the opinion that the movie was based off of the backpacking murders which took place in Austrailia as well. But the directors stated it was indeed based on the Snowtown murders. So all three kids were completely ficticious and the premise of the movie was just based upon eight murders that took place probably over a rather lengthy period of time.

Here is the link that talks about the Snowtown murders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowtown_murders

Yeah, i know that now about guy, i didn't know that while or just after watching the movie. I just knew the girls' death was obviously fake, is what's what i meant.

TheAbominatrix
05-18-2006, 04:16 AM
Amnityville Horror, or rather the events the movie/book were based on, has been proven false. It was a big scam. I believe Snopes has some information on it.

Also, can you guys mark your spoilers? I'm not at all interested in these films, but I can imagine some people may not want to have the outcome spoiled.

Russielloyd
05-18-2006, 01:25 PM
Snopes, what's that?

edit: It's ok, i found the site, i'm reading on Amittyville now.

Madame Adequate
05-18-2006, 02:29 PM

Actually, while I see your point, the whole point of fiction is trying to make it seem real. If they're using 'based on a true story' to do so, well, there you go. If they add character details at the end, so be it.