PDA

View Full Version : transvestites for characters

varnirius2
05-18-2006, 08:53 PM
frankly im getting tired of playing as transvestites, and now as a manly women, I think the past main 4 titles of FF where crap, what happend?!
Im shure there are plenty of ppl who disagree with me, but does anyone agree?

DeathKnight
05-18-2006, 09:11 PM
Haha, I KINDA I agree with you. I just REALLY hope that this FFXIII babe has a girly side to her....kinda like Yuna, you know. That's something that worries me too. She seems too much of a MANLY-woman/girl =/.......................hmmm I don't know, I just really hope she isn't.

SeeDRankLou
05-18-2006, 09:32 PM
Well, you've just seen her fight, you haven't seen her in any kind of social situation. Of course your current view of her is manly, she's kicking ass with the best of them. Even then however, I think she has a little feminine charm to her fighting.

Some of the characters in FFXII that I've seen are pushing it, but for the most part I completely disagree. I do think that they used a similar type of character style too many times in a row however, and that they should mix it up a little, but the gender of the characters has always been clear to me, and their clothing -- while sometimes odd style-wise -- has been appropriate. And women who have been brozened by battle sometimes have a tough demeanor to them, it doesn't make them manly, just tough.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-18-2006, 10:05 PM
If anybody is facing monstrous creatures on any kind of a regular basis and cutting them down without any show of remorse, I would hope that they have an edge to them.

scooby
05-19-2006, 12:10 AM
Question for the creator of this topic: what are you talking about?! A transvestite is somebody who habitually dresses in the clothes of the opposite sex (most modern women are transvestites by olden-day standards). This girl is wearing a skirt - an article of clothing traditionally worn by women. How is she a transvestite?! That's a misnomer. What you meant to say was, "no more androgynous characters whose gender's are hard to place" (though I don't think this girl fits into that category).

May I suggest that Final Fantasy is not the series for you, and never has been? After all, there is real - and wonderful! - crossdressing in FFVII.

May I also make a plea for tolerance of the crossdressing community. As a female, I empathise completely with male crossdressers. Men's clothes are soooo boring; if I was a man, I'd want to be able to wear a dress, too! After all, we women wear trousers as everyday wear now (and take that right for granted). When it comes to clothes, women really do have the best of both worlds these days. For example, a woman attending a formal event may choose from a trouser suit, a dress, or a skirt. All of these are acceptable choices for the modern woman. But a man may only wear a tuxedo! Boring! Women's clothes are so much more diverse and exciting; I can completely see the attraction they might hold for a man.

ZeZipster
05-19-2006, 01:11 AM
I hope they differentiate the Final Fantasy world as much as possible from the real world. I hope the differences are controversial and offensive. Playing FFVII for the fourth time I realize how unrealistic the realism is, they have technology from our world that simple wouldn't ever need to be implemented in theirs.

varnirius2
05-20-2006, 02:16 AM
well not to many in ageement with me as I had suspected. yes I do know the meaning of transvestite I just felt that more ppl would understand what I was talking about if I didn't elaborate on my choice of words. What we have is just a difference of opinion, you feel that the difference is clear between men and woman characters and I don't, simple as that. I don't emphasise the clothes more than the characters facial structure, for the most part I have no problem with the clothes. But if you want to make it controversial and offensive why not have the main character who is a man be decked out in a pink lace frilled ball gown? As far as a variety in mens clothing I feel the same way. Me as a man wear clothes that are noticeably different and garnished but they are still masculine. Me wanting variety in clothing has never made me want to wear womens dresses/undergarments. My hair is long to but still masculine because I don't use a straitening iron or make it look pretty*. Final Fantasy VII was a great game and everything before 9 (my opinion).but as far as me purchasing another FF anytime soon... probably not, i'll play them tho just to keep up with things.

Hiromitsu
05-20-2006, 02:27 AM
this shows the difference between the Male species and the Female species.

Khaotic
05-20-2006, 04:13 AM
I think too many people complain about how the characters look rather than enjoying the game for what it is, besides, whats wrong with a woman taking action physically? That just simply sounds sexist. Sure, some woman can be "cuddly and cute" , but there is your more rough woman as well, also as mentioned, you haven't seen her in any social situation, thats like putting tifa in a screen shot from advent children when shes kicking the crap out of that guy in the church, knowing nothing about the story line you'd basically be saying how guyish she is because she's kicking some ass, when in reality shes actually a caring individual.

Markus. D
05-21-2006, 03:06 PM
frankly im getting tired of playing as transvestites, and now as a manly women, I think the past main 4 titles of FF where crap, what happend?!

yet you probably also hated FFX-2?

ekinserge
05-21-2006, 03:13 PM
hoho...that is just your theory...please stop this nonsense(like Morgan Webb from the x-play said)...

Khaotic
05-21-2006, 10:24 PM
GameSpy: Some gamers, especially Western gamers, have criticized recent Final Fantasy heroes for looking too feminine or androgynous. Why do you go for this look, and does the feedback from Western gamers affect your future design plans?

Akihiko Yoshida: *laughs* Vaan is the lead character and he does look a bit feminine. But this is what Japanese gamers want; games like this sell very well in Japan. Though feminine-leaning main characters are not very popular in Western countries, we don't feel this is a reason to change the characters into more masculine or more warrior-like types. It's not possible to release a game with characters that everyone in the world likes, and if we do release a game with a masculine male character, it'll be because we want to create a new style and not because the Western audience doesn't like feminine-type characters.

Please get over it now, no one is forcing you to buy their games, if you think its too "transvestite" or whatever, simply don't buy the games, though we all know you will because you're just like everyone else on this forum.

Croyles
05-22-2006, 01:37 AM
Although i hate girly men, i dont mind manly women (in games of course), so this doesnt bother me.
Call me sexist if you want, meh.

Mercen-X
05-22-2006, 02:44 AM
I haven't any prejudice against androgenous characters. I also don't mind transvestites as long as they look good in the clothes they've chosen to wear. I do have a problem with delicate men, sadistic chicks, and terribly emotional or emotionless characters.

Garland
05-22-2006, 10:25 AM
I kinda see what the OP is getting at. SE has a passion for effeminate males lately. Sephiroth, Kuja, Seymour, Kadaj & Yazoo from AC, the Elvaan in FFXI, and most of the males in XII are less than masculine to put it nicely. There's nothing "wrong" with this really, but characters with conservatively defined genders ahave their benefits also. As far as female characters, and this female in XIII specifically, I think SE has always done a better job on female than on male character design. Never have I said "that girl looks like a guy" but many times have I said "that guy looks like a girl". FFX-2 seemed to have realized this phenomenon and dropped males out of the character roster entirely.

marc
05-22-2006, 01:36 PM
yeah, I here this is the antagonist for FF13.

http://i8.ebayimg.com/04/i/07/3b/c6/bf_1_b.JPG

they seriously are just taking the piss now.

Croyles
05-22-2006, 03:18 PM
yeah, I here this is the antagonist for FF13.

http://i8.ebayimg.com/04/i/07/3b/c6/bf_1_b.JPG

they seriously are just taking the piss now.

L0L!!

DeathKnight
05-22-2006, 04:02 PM
GameSpy: Some gamers, especially Western gamers, have criticized recent Final Fantasy heroes for looking too feminine or androgynous. Why do you go for this look, and does the feedback from Western gamers affect your future design plans?

Akihiko Yoshida: *laughs* Vaan is the lead character and he does look a bit feminine. But this is what Japanese gamers want; games like this sell very well in Japan. Though feminine-leaning main characters are not very popular in Western countries, we don't feel this is a reason to change the characters into more masculine or more warrior-like types. It's not possible to release a game with characters that everyone in the world likes, and if we do release a game with a masculine male character, it'll be because we want to create a new style and not because the Western audience doesn't like feminine-type characters.

What a LOSER!

Croyles
05-22-2006, 05:53 PM

Lol, there are definitely ways of making the games appeal to a wider audience than just Japan. Don't they realize that America and Europe together probably spend more on their titles than Japan?

DeathKnight
05-22-2006, 06:21 PM

Lol, there are definitely ways of making the games appeal to a wider audience than just Japan. Don't they realize that America and Europe together probably spend more on their titles than Japan?

hmm you MAY be right, but the last time I checked FFs sell in outrageous numbers in Japan compared to United States and Europe.

Khaotic
05-22-2006, 06:37 PM

What a LOSER!

Why do you disrespect him? I said it once, and I'll say it again, if you don't like the way he enjoys creating his characters, simply don't buy it, its more mature to leave it at that than to call him a loser.

Croyles
05-22-2006, 07:39 PM
I'm sure auron was a popular character in Japan and hes in no way feminine. Yeah ok he isnt the main character in ffx, but after Tidus and Yuna he certainly is. Same goes for Wakka AND Kimahri for that matter lol.

Why do you disrespect him? I said it once, and I'll say it again, if you don't like the way he enjoys creating his characters, simply don't buy it, its more mature to leave it at that than to call him a loser.

I think he can think what he likes about that guy. All of us moan about a FF game here and there and yet we all seem to buy them. But I dont see any harm in being annoyed at some bloke because he wont shape the game that suits you during the wait for the release of the game.
Or you can not buy the game AND disrespect him. Its not an either/or.

If FFXIV had pixies and fairies and migdets wearing leather with spiky belts and some guy says its a good market in Japan, im sure you'd be pretty pissed! :p

DeathKnight
05-22-2006, 07:55 PM
I'm sure auron was a popular character in Japan and hes in no way feminine. Yeah ok he isnt the main character in ffx, but after Tidus and Yuna he certainly is. Same goes for Wakka AND Kimahri for that matter I cried aloud with mirth and merriment.

I think he can think what he likes about that guy. All of us moan about a FF game here and there and yet we all seem to buy them. But I dont see any harm in being annoyed at some bloke because he wont shape the game that suits you during the wait for the release of the game.

If FFXIV had pixies and fairies and migdets wearing leather with spiky belts and some guy says its a good market in Japan, im sure you'd be pretty pissed! :p

:ty:

Khaotic
05-22-2006, 08:02 PM
I'm sure auron was a popular character in Japan and hes in no way feminine. Yeah ok he isnt the main character in ffx, but after Tidus and Yuna he certainly is. Same goes for Wakka AND Kimahri for that matter I cried aloud with mirth and merriment.

So, if you were the character designer, would you change the shape of the games characters simply to make americans happy? Wait, I change that, to make a certain group of individuals happy who seem to judge the game solely on the appearences of the characters. I know I sure wouldn't, infact, I'd want the game the way its originally made, besides, how would wallpapers and artwork be? "Tidus from FFX AMERICAN version!!!!" "Tidus from FFX Japanese version!!" Thats just too much work, and simply not needed.

Insulting anyone is wrong, especially when you should respect AND understand their point of views on the argument, he isn't doing it to be greedy or selfish, he's doing it because there simply isn't a need to change the game itself in a LARGE way to make groups of people happy, it simply is _not_ needed.

My point about buying the game was, you can insult him all you want, but the bottom line is he'll still have you addicted to where you buy it, end of discussion.

LunarWeaver
05-22-2006, 08:14 PM
This is just a difference of gender standards...

America is stuck on "you're so gay" permanent obsession status, so our males are obscenely over the top. Whereas Japan is all about the bishies, so girls over there would think he is hot.

Gender appearances and roles come and go and shape and change, and in a few hundred years American men could all be wearing skirts... Scottish men do it, so heyhey ya never know.

You only think so and so looks like a girl or guy because you happened to be born into this certain time in this certain country

Broaden your horizons and realize that the rest of the world shouldn't morph their entire culture to be more like America just because it pleases you. America is a newbie to the planet earth, and it's pretty arrogant to expect everybody else to cater to us.

Khaotic
05-22-2006, 08:15 PM

America is stuck on "you're so gay" permanent obsession status, so our males are obscenely over the top. Whereas Japan is all about the bishies, so girls over there would think he is hot.

Gender appearances and roles come and go and shape and change, and in a few hundred years American men could all be wearing skirts... Scottish men do it, so heyhey ya never know.

You only think so and so looks like a girl or guy because you happened to be born into this certain time in this certain country

Broaden your horizons and realize that the rest of the world shouldn't morph their entire culture to be more like America just because it pleases you.
Quoted for truth.

Croyles
05-22-2006, 08:36 PM
All he said was "what a loser". Thats it. I doubt it harmed Akihiko Yoshida or anyone else.

As for the game, of course it depends on where you were born, I myself dont really care what direction they go in, as long as its a good game, but I would just rather have a more masculine main character. Im not American, and I prefer masculine characters, and im not stuck on a "you're so gay" permanent obsession status. So maybe someone else needs to broaden their horizons? :)
If I were the character designer, I would take it seriously, instead of taking it as a joke like us, which there IS room for in these forums.

Im sure the people in japan judge the game by its looks just as much as anyone else.

Khaotic
05-22-2006, 08:54 PM
Read LunarWeaver's reply and then think about what I said about the fanart, official wallpapers, etc. People can think what suits them more all they want, but the bottom line is, there isn't a need to basically have 2 different main characters, one more "girly" and one more "Masculine". They're making the game, they're from Japan, they don't HAVE to give USA, or anyone else for that matter the games they make, they would lose money, but we would lose out on great games, and if you can't accept that and need to put down their desires and likes based on their culture, that simply isn't right.

As for the "loser" comment, I bet you any money if I said that to someone on this forum, in the exact way he said it, a CK would warn me to be "nice" on this forum, that I shouldn't disrespect ANYONE. Same goes for him in this case, what justifies him as a loser? What right does he have to call him such?

Croyles
05-22-2006, 08:58 PM
Who said anything about making two main characters?
They could of just like, made someone more average, not too feminine, not too masculine.
As I said before, I couldnt care less at the moment, FFXIII looks good, I dont even think 'Lightning' (if thats her name) looks that manly.
Yeah you would get warned if you insult someone the forum, which Deathknight didnt actually do, he insulted a character designer. If I insult Tony Blair, no one will give a damn. Unless someone really did get offended by that, and if thats the case, then bummer and im sorry. :) Anyway, LunarWeaver either told me or Deathknight to broaden our/his/mine horizon/s, suggesting we're, he, or I are/is ignorant, so go figure. Its not like I care.

*Goes off to watch Dead Ringers*

LunarWeaver
05-22-2006, 09:05 PM
All he said was "what a loser". Thats it. I doubt it harmed Akihiko Yoshida or anyone else.

As for the game, of course it depends on where you were born, I myself dont really care what direction they go in, as long as its a good game, but I would just rather have a more masculine main character. Im not American, and I prefer masculine characters, and im not stuck on a "you're so gay" permanent obsession status. So maybe someone else needs to broaden their horizons? :)
If I were the character designer, I would take it seriously, instead of taking it as a joke like us, which there IS room for in these forums.

Im sure the people in japan judge the game by its looks just as much as anyone else.

My post had nothing to do with you personally, or other countries (well, actually, I was speaking to the topic creator to be specific). A masculine main character isn't bad. But to say a masculine main character is fine you also must say a feminine main character is fine as well, because there are just different standards. Naturally, everybody has their preference, and that's why there is a mixture in games, you can't expect to have it all your way all the time, Square isn't McDonald's. Neither one is good or bad, it depends on you as a person, but people could be a little more flexible about these things. Oh, I forgot to insert arrogant smiley : :)

Khaotic
05-22-2006, 09:07 PM
Who said anything about making two main characters?
They could of just like, made someone more average, not too feminine, not too masculine.
As I said before, I couldnt care less at the moment, FFXIII looks good, I dont even think 'Lightning' (if thats her name) looks that manly.
Yeah you would get warned if you insult someone the forum, which Deathknight didnt actually do, he insulted a character designer. If I insult Tony Blair, no one will give a damn. Unless someone really did get offended by that, and if thats the case, then bummer and im sorry. :) Anyway, LunarWeaver either told me or Deathknight to broaden our/his/mine horizon/s, suggesting we're, he, or I are/is ignorant, so go figure. Its not like I care.

*Goes off to watch Dead Ringers*
My point was, you'd be changing the main character to suit your needs, or other people rather, making it 2 characters, same name, same attitude, 2 looks, which is rather useless and a waste of money and time.

Croyles
05-22-2006, 09:08 PM
No, 1 look, a balance.

*Gets back to Dead Ringers*

Khaotic
05-22-2006, 09:12 PM
So you're saying making a more feminine male into a masculine male isn't a change of look? If that were true, whats the big deal then? If it were so simple to "balance" as you so delicately put it, why bother complaining about the characters, and why can't you just live with it? (this isn't directed at you, using the words you is just easier since we're discussing this and not other people)

DeathKnight
05-22-2006, 09:17 PM

Broaden your horizons and realize that the rest of the world shouldn't morph their entire culture to be more like America just because it pleases you. America is a newbie to the planet earth, and it's pretty arrogant to expect everybody else to cater to us.

Why don't THEY broaden their horizons and make more manly main(male)-characters for a CHANGE.

from FFVII(which was the 1st FF where you could REALLY make REAL character models)they've created girly-looking main characters. So if anyone needs to broaden their horizons, it's the damn Japanese.

LunarWeaver
05-22-2006, 09:18 PM
I think we should all probably just let it go ^_^

The important thing is I think the blue-haired fellow is 'hawt', and I'm all that matters to me.

Khaotic
05-22-2006, 09:23 PM

Why don't THEY broaden their horizons and make more manly main(male)-characters for a CHANGE.

from FFVII(which was the 1st FF where you could REALLY make REAL character models)they've created girly-looking main characters. So if anyone needs to broaden their horizons, it's the damn Japanese.

Good way to sound racist, but I agree with lunar, I'm dropping this as of now.

DeathKnight
05-22-2006, 09:28 PM

Good way to sound racist, but I agree with lunar, I'm dropping this as of now.

racist??? :irked: And I agree, it's better to drop this thing.

Croyles
05-22-2006, 09:32 PM
Yay.
(Hes not racist just as LunarWeaver isnt racist for the american comment)
Anyway. Im really excited about this game, it looks amazing.

Moon Rabbits
05-23-2006, 04:19 AM
I'm still waiting for a ridiculously affeminette(sp) male vampire as the main character of a Final Fantasy (cmooooooon FFXIV) . Heehee, I like transvestite characters for some reason, they make me giggle.

FallenAngel411
05-23-2006, 07:23 AM
I'm still waiting for a ridiculously affeminette(sp) male vampire as the main character of a Final Fantasy (cmooooooon FFXIV) .

I would love Square forever. O___O

Anyway, I really don't care how effeminate the male characters are--I actually prefer a certain degree of it. I never get excited at the large, hulking, muscley types, in games or in life. Just my tastes. Still, Vaan's huge doe eyes took me by surprise when I first looked at him and thought, 'that's a guy'. But you know, I got over it in about two minutes, and he was just another FF character to me. The first words that came to my mind when I first saw this girl had nothing to do with "manliness" or whatever. I just thought she was incredibly cool and kickass, and I still think so. Actually the first thing I said after I saw the trailer was "She's hot." And I'm not even gay! But whatever, I'm sure once you play the game you'll find the strength to come to terms with your masculinity issues. You being the manly man who started this topic. K? :3

varnirius2
05-23-2006, 11:20 PM
masculinity issues? hahaha your great* anyways I was going to forget about my post but I had some time to kill and came back to see ppls replys. well somebody else said im just like everybody else here and will end up buying the game anyways, I still don't think I will, I haven't bought a FF game since FFXI came out (Im not paying a monthly bill to play a game, even if it is FF). As far as Broadening my horizons, im not going to force myself to like something to better suit japan or anyone else for that matter, everyone wants to have the "be equal to all world peace attitude" but alot of the times that just doesn't work, FF games to me have been some of the greatest games ever made but with all the new stuff thats been coming out I just don't feel that way anymore and it's not because of just this one issue either, gameplay/storyline too hasn't been so great(my opinion again). Fallen angel, I don't think the male characters should be bulked up meatheads on steroids just not look like they have had a series of plastic surgery opps and botox injections.

signed,
the manly man who started this topic. ( =

Khaotic
05-24-2006, 12:03 AM
masculinity issues? hahaha your great* anyways I was going to forget about my post but I had some time to kill and came back to see ppls replys. well somebody else said im just like everybody else here and will end up buying the game anyways, I still don't think I will, I haven't bought a FF game since FFXI came out (Im not paying a monthly bill to play a game, even if it is FF). As far as Broadening my horizons, im not going to force myself to like something to better suit japan or anyone else for that matter, everyone wants to have the "be equal to all world peace attitude" but alot of the times that just doesn't work, FF games to me have been some of the greatest games ever made but with all the new stuff thats been coming out I just don't feel that way anymore and it's not because of just this one issue either, gameplay/storyline too hasn't been so great(my opinion again). Fallen angel, I don't think the male characters should be bulked up meatheads on steroids just not look like they have had a series of plastic surgery opps and botox injections.

signed,
the manly man who started this topic. ( =

Alright then, so don't get it, problem solved.:greenie:

Croyles
05-24-2006, 01:00 AM
Yep, we'll all enjoy it while you sulk. nah just kidding.

Moon Rabbits
05-25-2006, 01:23 AM
Yep, we'll all enjoy it while you sulk. nah just kidding.

Minus the just kidding.

Mercen-X
05-27-2006, 12:40 AM
American gendering is slightly more complicated than it simply being about the "girlie = gay" corrupted western obsession. In America at least, the warrior's masculinity has long been determined by the amount of physical effort exerted in one's life. Carpenters & various other construction workers, law enforcers, and the men in the military who serve our nation; those who risk life and limb and severe injury to buildup and safeguard our country and the livelihood of those within have long been considered masculine and warrior-like. It's not easy building a castle or even a small house, yet over the centuries it was the laborers who exerted the most muscle, flaunted the most risk, and experienced the least praise.

The whole bishonen thing is more about the inexperienced warrior, a hand reaching out to let kids, adolescents and teenagers, believe that there could very well be more to their lives. More excitement, more wonder, more adventure . . . more friendship, love, and romance.

Malboro_Menace
05-27-2006, 03:34 AM
I AM SO SICK OF PEOPLE SAYING THAT SHE LOOKS LIKE A MAN! SHE HAS VISIBLE BREASTS FOR SMURF'S SAKE!!!!!!!

Seriously though she does not look masculine in anyway whatsoever. Her face is clearly feminine. Watch the trailer near the end where her face is taking up the whole screen. Feminine.

Dark Paladin
06-09-2006, 01:10 PM
Apparently, the woman in the video isn't the main character but still plays a main role in the game. However SE have said that the main character will still be a woman.

Tohoya
07-15-2006, 07:45 AM
Yay for gender-bending!

drunkymonkey
07-16-2006, 08:18 PM
Down with thread necromancy. Don't do it kids!

DeathKnight
07-17-2006, 06:39 AM
Apparently, the woman in the video isn't the main character but still plays a main role in the game. However SE have said that the main character will still be a woman.

YES! she's not the main characters. Hopefully it's a HOTTER/SEXIER babe:love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

G SpOtZ
07-17-2006, 07:30 AM
I absolutely hated FFX-2, but not for the fact that the three protagonists were females... more like I screwed up a TINY percentage so I couldn't get 100% and I didn't have a good save spot. T_T I didn't like the whole battle system either, I just didn't find the game as good as the others. Oh well.

As long as the characters in the future FFs can kick ass, I'm pretty good. Tidus was a pansy, sure... but he was one of my best fighters in battle! I just didn't like his personality. I got used to it though.

DeathKnight
07-17-2006, 07:40 AM
I absolutely hated FFX-2, but not for the fact that the three protagonists were females... more like I screwed up a TINY percentage so I couldn't get 100% and I didn't have a good save spot. T_T I didn't like the whole battle system either, I just didn't find the game as good as the others. Oh well.

As long as the characters in the future FFs can kick ass, I'm pretty good. Tidus was a pansy, sure... but he was one of my best fighters in battle! I just didn't like his personality. I got used to it though.

Was this the topic???

Cruise Control
07-17-2006, 08:07 AM
[!]God I hope we ban you.[/!]

We don't say things like this to other members. Don't do it again.

~Void

G SpOtZ
07-17-2006, 08:23 AM
God I hope we ban you.

DeathKnight
07-17-2006, 05:57 PM
God I hope we ban you.

You wanna ban god??? :nonono: not good.

Miriel
07-18-2006, 12:07 AM
This thread should have been left to die.

drunkymonkey, if you have a problem with a thread being revived, use the warn button rather than posting for no reason.

Mr. Nosebleed, that's not appropriate. Don't post things like that or else you might be the one to get banned.

G SpOtZ, ditto what I said to Mr. Nosebleed.

DeathKnight, stop going off topic.

This thread dies now.