PDA

View Full Version : New Final Fantasy XIII Details Announced

Crossblades
05-18-2006, 11:51 PM
http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2006/1282.html

In a massive feature article Japan's leading gaming publication, Weekly Famitsuu takes a closer look at Square Enix's Final Fantasy XIII for PlayStation 3. Famitsuu reports that at the time when Square Enix showed off the infamous Final Fantasy VII technical demo for PlayStation 3 at last year's Electronic Entertainment Expo, Final Fantasy XIII was still in development for PlayStation 2. Thereafter, the development however decided to move the entire project over to PlayStation 3.
While not much is known about Final Fantasy XIII's battle system at this point, the article sheds at least some light on a few aspects: At the bottom of the screen, next to the protagonist's HP, another stat called ATB Cost is visible. This hints at a return of the good old Active Time Battle (ATB) system, in one way or another. Apparently every command executed by the player costs a certain amount of those ATB Cost points. Next to the ATB cost stat, one can make out the string "Lightning" . Famitsuu speculates that this is in fact the protagonist's name. Furthermore, in the upper right-hand corner of the battle screen, a circle-shaped gauge is visible. Once the number inside this circle and other conditions have been met, the protagonist can enter a so-called Overclock status. This status has a slow-motion effect, effectively slowing down everyone but the protagonist. However, making use of this ability apparently brings some risk with it. The female protagonist's weapon can be used as a gun or a sword. Depending on opponent and situation, it will be possible to switch between those two functions.

Final Fantasy XIII has yet to receive a release date in Japan.

DeathKnight
05-19-2006, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the info! :plotting:

Whoa! her name's "Lightning!" what a babe! :exdee:

Crossblades
05-19-2006, 05:45 PM
Here is some new info

http://www.allrpg.com/rpgnews/news_show.php?newsid=2651

Square-Enix has recently revealed some details about their upcoming Final Fantasy XIII titles, which are Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, and Final Fantasy XIII Agito. The details are as follows:

Final Fantasy XIII will not have online functionality.

Each of the different episodes of Final Fantasy XIII will have characters that are independent of each other, and the storylines for the games also take place in different parts of history.

The only thing that will be in common for these titles are Moggles, Chocobos, and magic and myths around the Crystals.

The central theme of all three games is the Legend of the Crystals

The word "Versus" in the title of Final Fantasy Versus XIII, which is Latin, means a change of direction.

In Final Fantasy XIII Agito, the Latin word "Agito" means moving violently or stimulus, this game will end up having action elements implemented into the game.

No information about the release date for any of these games has been released.

Khaotic
05-19-2006, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the info! :plotting:

Whoa! her name's "Lightning!" what a babe! :exdee:
Where did you read that?

Also the articles look great, too bad we won't see this until 2007 atleast ._.

sexymonkey
05-19-2006, 05:56 PM
square has said that ffxiii may have some online features, but it wont be part of the main storyline

Crossblades
05-19-2006, 06:01 PM
square has said that ffxiii may have some online features, but it wont be part of the main storyline

proof?

sexymonkey
05-19-2006, 06:06 PM
ign, http://ps3.ign.com/articles/708/708994p1.html

Crossblades
05-19-2006, 06:13 PM
ign, http://ps3.ign.com/articles/708/708994p1.html

Thank you:)

Kamrusepas
05-19-2006, 11:15 PM
The female protagonist's weapon can be used as a gun or a sword. Depending on opponent and situation, it will be possible to switch between those two functions.

So it's basically a gunblade?

CloudySky
05-19-2006, 11:44 PM
Yay to ATB ! :)
Tnx for info.

Moon Rabbits
05-20-2006, 12:37 AM
The female protagonist's weapon can be used as a gun or a sword. Depending on opponent and situation, it will be possible to switch between those two functions.

So it's basically a gunblade?

Not quite. Gunblades never shot, really. :)

Hiromitsu
05-20-2006, 01:03 AM
Actually they did, in Final Fantasy 8, Squall had a combo that used his Gunblade and shot with it.

varnirius2
05-20-2006, 02:24 AM
I think it looks like squalls gunblade also shot when you pressed the R1 button for a critical hit. IGN.com also has a good amount of info on the game.

Moon Rabbits
05-20-2006, 03:01 AM
Actually they did, in Final Fantasy 8, Squall had a combo that used his Gunblade and shot with it.

In Lionheart maybe, but I don't remember.

Ultimania said it explodes a round in the barrel, making the slash faster/stronger.

Meat Puppet
05-20-2006, 03:11 AM
Yeah, Squall couldn't actually use the gunblade as a gun.

Hiromitsu
05-20-2006, 04:03 AM
lol i guess your right:mad: ill get you next time!
my bad

DeathKnight
05-20-2006, 06:10 AM
Next to the ATB cost stat, one can make out the string "Lightning" . Famitsuu speculates that this is in fact the protagonist's name.

So "Lightning" is her name???:confused: :confused: :confused:

Khaotic
05-20-2006, 05:38 PM
Not very original if you ask me. I mean with spells called Lightning or thunder or whatever they're going to be called, its going to be quite odd.

Moon Rabbits
05-20-2006, 07:01 PM
I kind of like the name...perhaps it's not her real name?

crono_logical
05-20-2006, 08:05 PM
The only thing that will be in common for these titles are Moggles, Chocobos, and magic and myths around the Crystals. So we're not gonna see a Cid in some form in all the games? :p

Khaotic
05-20-2006, 08:18 PM
I just find the name weird "hey lightning, check this out!" its.. not "real" , which simply just makes it.. strange, I guess, atleast in my mind. I guess Cloud isn't real either, but I got used to it, so if lightning is her official name I'm sure i'll get used to it as well.

DeathKnight
05-20-2006, 08:50 PM
It's sure a SHOCKING and Electrical kind of name:p :p :p . I like it(lightning's my favorite ELEMENT =P). I'm sure it's her CODE name, like you know...Solid Snake. Even if it's not, I think it's cool:cool: :up:

But nothing's confirmed yet...so let's just hold it in the air.

Perducci
05-20-2006, 09:59 PM
Maybe 'Lightning' is the name of the ammo she's using in her Gunblade thing.
Which would mean you can have different elemental ammo throughout the game.

Hiromitsu
05-20-2006, 10:29 PM
hmm.. good point, you maybe right, but we don't officially know yet.:choc2:

sexymonkey
05-21-2006, 04:25 PM
found a picture of her gunblade mid-transformation, i found it interesting! although i no it isn't!!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2b/Gunbladehiq.jpg

~SapphireStar~
05-21-2006, 06:28 PM
I kind of like the name...perhaps it's not her real name?
Possibly a code name?

Croyles
05-22-2006, 01:39 AM
http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2006/1282.html

Next to the ATB cost stat, one can make out the string "Lightning" . Famitsuu speculates that this is in fact the protagonist's name.

That would explain why there is lightning all around her, everthing she walks, runs and jumps on. It would also explain how she can slow down time. Well she doesnt, shes just damn fast. Let me guess, she draws energy from the crystals ^^
I bet you that for the english version the name will be changed to another word for lightning (im not really thinking of thunder) or at least a word that has a connected meaning with lightning/thunder. Something like 'Storm" maybe.

Of course we dont know yet if that REALLY is her name.

FFXIII official soundtrack:
Thunder and Lightning, very very frightening!

From the looks of the battle system, you can chain attacks to get extra damage like in FFX-2.
An example is when in the trailer 'V Strike' is selected and it says 'Attack one target and propell them into the air' it has 'Chain x(number)' written on the side. Of course, most of you would have probably already noticed that. :p

Her sword mechanism is an interesting one. Its not just a butterfly knife type thing, because the blade is too long to be safely resting by the handle. The blade sort of slides forward from where it was resting before (where the hammer of a traditional gun would be) and into place when those two metal pieces flip backwards.
When its a gun, the two metal pieces together form the barrel.

Squall_VIII
06-17-2006, 09:36 PM
so let me get this straight this weapons gonna be in ffXIII

Croyles
06-17-2006, 11:23 PM
Ehhh, you saw the trailer didnt you? And this is a FFXIII thread too?

~SapphireStar~
06-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Ehhh, you saw the trailer didnt you? And this is a FFXIII thread too?
Ignore him, you do get some people who can be that dense.

Shoden
06-21-2006, 04:42 PM
the article explains that lightning is a technique not a name, I don't see how it refers to a name.

Croyles
06-22-2006, 03:06 PM
Thats what I thought at the start too, but the word Lightning constantly stays in the same place, for the whole part of the battle in the trailer, even while you can clearly see that the character is using different techniques further up on the screen. Also, it looks like it is in a place where the usual names should be.

Marly
06-22-2006, 04:11 PM
Lightning's a pretty fine name in my opinion. But as there is no solid proof yet, not too much point speculating about it.

Dr.M
06-23-2006, 10:42 AM

So "Lightning" is her name???:confused: :confused: :confused:

lighting....sounds like a james bond girl name.not oringinal enough for ff i recon.

Tohoya
07-15-2006, 07:45 AM
FWIW, FF games have a history of naming main characters after sky stuff. Squall, Cloud, and Teedus translates into Sun in Japanese. Given that, Lightning as the name sounds pretty plausible. We might see it as the Japanese word for Lightning once it hits our shores, though.

KH_FF4ever
07-24-2006, 03:03 AM
That's awesome! I can't wait untill it comes out!!!:D

damaged_core
09-30-2006, 03:49 AM
or what about Squall? that means "rain cloud"

Jessweeee♪
09-30-2006, 05:52 AM
They have confirmed that Lightning is her name. Or maybe they meant that is what they named her and that you can name her whatever and her real name is still unknown.
Please for the love of god tell me you can't name her.
I don't want to go through the whole Tydus/Teedus fiasco here...