PDA

View Full Version : Hear the FFIII on PS2 rumor yet?

BustaMo
05-19-2006, 02:14 AM
EDIT: "The title should say FFIII...grrr. Can a mod edit that part? I look like a dumbass now with it as FFII..." :-/

Anyone hear about GameLabo's rumor as of now about Square Enix releasing FFIII on the PS2 possibly? It's on the Magic Box's news page under May 15th "Playstation 2" news: The-MagicBox (http://the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm)

Personally since i'm NOT going to be getting a Nintendo DS and I have a PS2, I'm pumped. It was the only FF I was worried about not being able to play, but now my hopes are starting to rise, and I freak'n hope this rumor becomes confirmed not too long from now.

Crossblades
05-19-2006, 02:25 AM
It seems very unlikely. Square Enix would've said something about it at E3 and people would complain for having a game with N64 type graphics on the PS2

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-19-2006, 03:37 AM
They would have to completely redo the music and graphics for a PS2 release to be justified. It's not going to happen unless something crazy happens, like if the DS version somehow becomes one of the best-selling games of all time.

Mirage
05-19-2006, 09:34 AM
It's not that unlikely that it becomes the best selling DS game though :p

KoShiatar
05-19-2006, 05:17 PM
No, really, since I'm thinking about getting a DS just to play that.

Rogue
05-20-2006, 05:13 AM
in a way that would be stupid

Sephex
05-20-2006, 10:15 PM
I really, really doubt that is going to happen.

DJZen
05-21-2006, 12:04 AM
I could see it happening, but they'd have to remove all the features that would be exclusive to the DS.

Elite Lord Sigma
05-21-2006, 03:14 AM
This is one of the most idiotic rumors I have ever heard.

silentenigma
05-21-2006, 04:05 AM
Hey, they remade Final Fantasy I and II for Wonderswan with 16-bit like graphics, then
ported that to the Playstation way back when...But still rumor are rumors.

BustaMo
05-21-2006, 09:36 PM
Idiotic? Yea, ok... How? I'm not the only one with a PS2 dying to play FFIII someday, and I sure as hell am not getting a Nintendo DS just for one game. I'm sure there are more idiotic rumors floating around than this one, pal. Getting Sephiroth in your party for good in FFVII, as well as reviving Aeris. Now those are idiotic rumors; not rumors about making FFIII go to the PS2 for sale...

DJZen
05-22-2006, 01:22 AM

You must not have been around for Cheese Weapon.

Carmilla
05-22-2006, 05:52 PM
I dont see it happening.

First off its an 'old' game with lessar graphics than a typical PS2 game.

FF1 and FF2 were released together for the PS1.
FF4 was released with Chrono Trigger for the PS1.
FF5 and FF6 were releaed together for the PS1.

If FF3 was coming out for a Sony platform it would probably be the PS1... and that systems past its prime. Even then they would have package it with a game such as... Secret of Mana or something to justify a $40 price... or just release FF3 alone for $20. :mog:

DJZen
05-22-2006, 09:07 PM
PS1 isn't past its prime, it's dead. If FFIII came out for a console it would most likely be the PS2. Considering the capacity of a DVD, they could easily bundle it with any of the older games. Just imagine that, FFI-VI all on one DVD. I'm not saying it WILL happen, just that it's within the realm of the possible. Remember when nobody thought FFII and FFIII would ever be released in America?

jj984jj
05-23-2006, 08:50 PM
I doubt S-E will put a game with worse then N64 level graphics on PS2. Just buy a DS Lite when it comes out, it's not like there are no other good games on the DS, S-E's Slime Dragon Quest game for the DS is pretty good and they are making Dragon Quest Monsters for it as well so there are lots of games to look forward to on it.

BustaMo
05-25-2006, 05:01 PM
I doubt S-E will put a game with worse then N64 level graphics on PS2. Just buy a DS Lite when it comes out, it's not like there are no other good games on the DS, S-E's Slime Dragon Quest game for the DS is pretty good and they are making Dragon Quest Monsters for it as well so there are lots of games to look forward to on it.
They would be "remaking" the graphics along with the game. They aren't going to just transfer the original FFIII graphics from the Japanese Famicom straight to the PS2 version game if it happens; that'd be rediculous. They would do it the same way graphic-wise, if not better, that they are doing for the DS handheld version.

Pfft, I'm not getting a DS. I'm a console gamer. The only DS game that strikes my interest is FFIII.

jj984jj
05-25-2006, 10:45 PM
They would be "remaking" the graphics along with the game. They aren't going to just transfer the original FFIII graphics from the Japanese Famicom straight to the PS2 version game if it happens; that'd be rediculous. They would do it the same way graphic-wise, if not better, that they are doing for the DS handheld version.

Pfft, I'm not getting a DS. I'm a console gamer. The only DS game that strikes my interest is FFIII.
Thing is, why would they remake the game for the DS if they are also planning a remake of PS2 calibur? The graphics of the DS remake would not be good enough to be on PS2. It doesn't make sense, if they were just porting the original version of the game to GBA and releasing the remake on the PS2 instead I would see how that could make sense but that isn't the case. Releasing a PS2 version would make no sense business-wise if they are also remaking it on the DS, they would just lose money on the DS version. Any logical person would see this makes no sense but I guess there is just no fighting some people. Also, I did some more research into this my-self and Game Labo's rumors (who MagicBox says they got the rumor from) almost never come true anyway.

Reine
05-28-2006, 04:01 AM
I used to think that FF3 DS was the only game Id want on it. Ive recently been looking at th DS games on sale and have found quite a few new interesting ones..the ability to play GBA games sure makes my future DS Lite more valuable to me as well.

ieetsababie
06-29-2006, 05:58 PM
Yeah. *I* already have a DS, so I know for a fact that there are some other worthwhile games for the DS (and GBA for that matter). They're remaking Final Fantasy V and VI, and making a new Crystal Chronicles for the DS. There's also Brain Age, Animal Crossing, Nintendogs, and Metroid Prime Hunters.

ljkkjlcm9
06-29-2006, 06:11 PM
They're not making it for the PS2 that's the dumbest thing ever. This rumor is almost as stupid as remaking FFVII for the PS3, not going to happen

THE JACKEL

Angi-Kaiser
06-30-2006, 03:51 AM
It might happen, it is just not likely as of yet.

DJZen
06-30-2006, 08:37 AM
I'd consider it more likely than a US release of Dragon Quest V. :mad:

playaGAW
07-26-2006, 01:58 AM
Actually the level of graphics on the DS though 64 bit look better than N64.

Lawr
07-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Getting Sephiroth in your party for good

Thats so possible I'm playing with him as I type this...

Auragaea
07-29-2006, 07:23 PM
I don't think that FFIII is coming out on the PS2, but it originally was. According to a paragraph in an article of FFIII in EGM:

'Actually, this sought-after remake almost didn't happen on Nintendo's so-hot-right-now portable. "We had started working on a PlayStation 2 version of FFIII," admits Tanaka. "But we changed gears and shifted development to the DS." Doing so allowed the team to take advantage of the DS' unique functionality. "You can actually play the entire game through using just the stylus and touch screen," Tanaka explains. "You can use it to navigate through the menus, to choose items and spells in battle, or to select which group of enemies to attack in a battle." The dual-screen usage isn't quite as creative - the standard map-screen paradigm persists here, and the top display isn't even used in battles. "We limited the game to one screen in battles in order to max out the DS' graphical capabilities on the bottom display," explains Tanaka.'

I would've prefered that Tanaka decided to go with the PS2 for FFIII. Afterall, more people have PS2s than DSs so releasing it on the PS2 would've yielded more profits (I assume). It's such a bitch that I have to shell out money for a DS just for one game.

Malboro_Menace
07-30-2006, 12:54 AM
There are plenty of DS games to get/look forward to: MariokartDS, Metroid Prime Hunters, FFIII, Super Mario DS, Need for Speed Underground, Pokemon Pearl-Diamond and Age of Kings DS. The majority of those have multiplayer/Wi-Fi making the experience even better.

I don't see why they would release FFIII on PS2. I reckon there would be more sales in making it on a DS instead of a PS2 release. Mainly because so many Japanese have a DS.

Angi-Kaiser
07-30-2006, 03:16 PM
But alot of them also have a PS2. But I'm glad that they're doing it for the DS. It goes well with their porting of 1-6 on the GBA.

Duncan
07-31-2006, 12:48 AM
Personally, I would have loved a port of 1-6 to be native DS. Bring 1,2,4-6 graphics on par with the FFIII graphics. That would've been worth it.

I can't help but think tho that one day, (maybe ps3) they will do something like that. Redo 1-6 with PS3 graphics but maintain the old style gameplay. That would be nice.

Bolivar
08-07-2006, 05:23 AM
I would think that if FFIII sold well, SE might consider re-making more of the older games. that would be great, but I don't see that happening. Either way, with a DS, you'll be able to play FF 1-6, the remake of 4 is worth it, i'd assume 5 would be good b/c of no load times, but i'm not buyin that again.

is this the 1st game to be re-made w/ 3D graphics?

Angi-Kaiser
08-07-2006, 03:14 PM
I think so. Everything else has just gotten SNES graphics, aand in the case of the three SNES games (at least 4), shinier graphics.

Nifleheim7
08-25-2006, 11:30 PM
I agree that is very unlikely for a PS2 release to hapen.

But what about the PSP?

Sunny Day Suicide
08-26-2006, 02:11 AM
I find this stupid but hopes it happens. I hope they do it to push the balls off of DS owners. Like how they did un intentionally with FFVII to be on the N64.

Raebus
08-26-2006, 12:12 PM
I find this stupid but hopes it happens. I hope they do it to push the balls off of DS owners. Like how they did un intentionally with FFVII to be on the N64.

I hope it doesent just to counter your post. :thumb:

Sunny Day Suicide
08-26-2006, 02:51 PM
Is this a fight I smell?

DJZen
08-26-2006, 04:45 PM
You DO know that it's already been released in Japan for the DS, right?

Sunny Day Suicide
08-26-2006, 05:28 PM
Yeah, I saw the ROM like last week.

DJZen
08-27-2006, 12:23 AM
Also, FFVII was never being made for the N64. Sorry to break it to you.

Sunny Day Suicide
08-27-2006, 12:40 AM
Oh yeah. I think it was the fans thought it was because of the whole nintendo and square thing so they were devestated to find out it was actually on the PS, right? My bad

jj984jj
08-27-2006, 05:39 PM
I agree that is very unlikely for a PS2 release to hapen.

But what about the PSP?

It still wouldn't make any sense for the same reason a PS2 version wouldn't make sense, it'd need another upgrade. I think, if people have not figured it out yet, this rumor came from the fact that the game was on the PS2 in the first place. Then Kawazu announced it for the DS in 2004 and the project was moved.

Angi-Kaiser
08-28-2006, 10:35 PM
It was going to be on the PS2? When? I know I've heard about the failed Wonder Swan remake, and early rumors of a FF3 GBA.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-29-2006, 12:26 AM
FFIII was never going to be on the PS2. The original plan was to develop a remake for the WonderSwan Color, but right around the release of the FFII remake, the GBA came out and quickly eliminated the WSC as a viable market. For the next few years, Bandai pleaded with Square to remake it for the WonderSwan Crystal while Nintendo asked them to produce it for the GBA, but Square had become too busy with other projects to appease either of them. By the time they freed up space in their schedule, the DS had become the next big market.

Auragaea
08-29-2006, 12:39 AM
According to an article in an EGM magazine I recieved:

'Actually, this sought-after remake almost didn't happen on Nintendo's so-hot-right-now portable. "We had started working on a PlayStation 2 version of FFIII," admits Tanaka. "But we changed gears and shifted development to the DS." Doing so allowed the team to take advantage of the DS' unique functionality. "You can actually play the entire game through using just the stylus and touch screen," Tanaka explains. "You can use it to navigate through the menus, to choose items and spells in battle, or to select which group of enemies to attack in a battle." The dual-screen usage isn't quite as creative - the standard map-screen paradigm persists here, and the top display isn't even used in battles. "We limited the game to one screen in battles in order to max out the DS' graphical capabilities on the bottom display," explains Tanaka.'

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-29-2006, 01:05 AM
I can't be held responsible for such covert developments! Check it: Legend of Mana was originally planned for the Game Boy Color. I know a guy at Brownie Brown.

jj984jj
08-30-2006, 07:20 PM
It was said in EGM, and in another interview on touch-ds.jp.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-31-2006, 12:27 AM
But not until after the fact.

undnce
09-19-2006, 01:59 AM
no offence but... dream on

CheysTidus
10-28-2006, 12:24 AM
Yall.. FFIII is the same as FFVI.. in other words.. the SNES Relese of FF 3 is the same EXACT game as FF 6 in Japan AND has already been relesed on the PS1 they arent going to relese the same game on PS2 this late it doesent make sense at all..

FF_Chick
10-28-2006, 01:27 AM
... FF3 was exactly for the SNES. But not for the Super Famicom. Japan develops the FF games, and goes by thier numbers. FF2 and 3 (1900) are different from the English FF2 and 3 (FF4 and 6). Play FF2 for the GBA, and see what I mean. If they released FF3 for the PS2, it would make plenty of sense. It is not the same as FF6 nowhatsoever. FF3 has Job classes. FF6 has Tina and Lock.

Orophin
10-28-2006, 05:33 AM
Yall.. FFIII is the same as FFVI.. in other words.. the SNES Relese of FF 3 is the same EXACT game as FF 6 in Japan AND has already been relesed on the PS1 they arent going to relese the same game on PS2 this late it doesent make sense at all..

... I hope you're kidding because everyone know that this game is the real FFIII, not FFVI.

Crossblades
10-28-2006, 04:06 PM

No, this is the REAL FF III. This was released for the Famicon in the late eighties/early nineties. It was never released in the US. US version will actually be released for the DS in 2 weeks. FF III is NOT the same as FF VI. The reason why FF VI was called FF III in the US back when it was released for the SNES was because it was the 3rd FF game to be released in the states. FF VI deals with Terra, espers, etc. FF III deals with crystals, jobs, and some cools NPCs(like Desh). So no, they're not the same. Still confused? Then read this FAQ

http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=43493

Zeromus_X
10-28-2006, 08:59 PM
How can we not all know the numbering by now? ;_;

undnce
10-28-2006, 10:43 PM
Like I said before, Dream on... the only reason this rumour (sp?) started is because someone who didn't have a DS, and had had a PS2, wished it owuld come out 4 the PS2... Dream on...

Kryton87
10-29-2006, 10:48 AM
so... why double post an insult? Especially when you can edit the first post by clicking the edit button that only appears at the bottom of your own posts.

meh... in any case, the DS version will be out Nov 15th ish. If there will be a PS2 release or a PSP release, it would be awesome, despite the fact that I don't have either, but it would also come to a complete surprise to me. As for who started these rumors, it doesn't matter. You can speculate it all you want, but unless you know for a fact, its not worth guessing. Mostly because they are nothing but rumors. Now, I will not say its not fun to speculate, but I don't enjoy seeing posts about people using that to talk about how stupid someone else is.

If anyone has a genuine question about such a thing, it deserves to be answered politely, and honestly. Not with some lame comment about how stupid you are for asking it. Anyone who does post such a think I would imagine is just asking to be banned.

Angi-Kaiser
10-29-2006, 04:08 PM
Actually, there is some spark of truth behind the whole ordeal. If you look at an interview that was made around the time FF III DS was released in Japan, they mentioned that they had originally thought about bringing it to the PS2. So this rumor is most likey someone hearing this tibit, and thinking it was a report of what was going to happen, not a dissmissed idea.

Tying into my last paragraph, Undnce's statement probably has a sliver of truth in it. The person who reported this probably did want it on PS2. Thus, this news would have been like a dream come true for them, and they would take it and run with it.