PDA

View Full Version : A bit TOO futuristic.

silentenigma
05-19-2006, 02:45 AM
seriously. The only way I'm going to like the super-futurism is if throughout the story all society falls into a regression and becomes unstable by the end of the game. If all the environments in the game are full of technology and futureness, it would just seem to take away the "epic" feel of it all.

pyro psychosis
05-19-2006, 03:22 AM
well we havn't seen many other places in the game. maybe some parts of the world aren't so futuristic? maybe the closer you get to the crystal, the more advance the enviroment is. who knows?

Mirage
05-19-2006, 09:35 AM
Sci-fi can be epic just as well as medieval settings can be :(.

DeathKnight
05-19-2006, 03:40 PM
"I'm So tr00, teh old Ff @re teh best"

Oh crap, there's a rule that FF HAVE to be medeival??? damn..that's messed up.

Oh well, I still preffer present/future-like rpgs.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
05-19-2006, 05:20 PM
Yeah, I thought FFVI, VII, and VIII were the best, so I cant wait for XIII to come out, as these were all sci-fi (or at least not medieval; FFVI was steampunk). It should be good. FFI and IX were also good, so it doesnt have to be sci fi either to be good.

And what do you mean sci fi doesnt equal epic? FFVII felt epic to me. This is also true in movies. Oh look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:2001Style_E.jpg

silentenigma
05-19-2006, 09:46 PM
it isn't really the sci-fi that takes away the epic fealing for me. It's just for the whole trailer at E3 I only saw great expansions of bleak, futuristic, towering cities EVERYWHERE. I don't want to be looking at that the entire game...

oh yeah I'm not complaining about it being in the future, or the sci-fi aspects, just the environments. (I liked FFVII just as much as FFVI or FFIX in that respect..FFVII was sci-fi in the future, but there was still enough nature to go around.)

Skyblade
05-19-2006, 10:21 PM
it isn't really the sci-fi that takes away the epic fealing for me. It's just for the whole trailer at E3 I only saw great expansions of bleak, futuristic, towering cities EVERYWHERE. I don't want to be looking at that the entire game...

oh yeah I'm not complaining about it being in the future, or the sci-fi aspects, just the environments. (I liked FFVII just as much as FFVI or FFIX in that respect..FFVII was sci-fi in the future, but there was still enough nature to go around.)

I think that you're being a bit too pessimistic here. Most of the scenes from the trailer look like they could have been taken from a single part of the game. I doubt they have shown us anywhere near the full expanse of the game's landscapes. And there was at least one part of the trailer which was all forests and waterfalls. I advise that you wait and see: I don't think it will be as bad as you are implying.

Elite Lord Sigma
05-20-2006, 05:41 AM
I'm sick and tired of people who whine about any Final Fantasy that doesn't have a medieval setting. Let's see, FFVI was sort of futuristic, and it's considered the best of all time by many people. So I fail to see any logic in your argument.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
05-20-2006, 05:45 AM
VII and X where just voted top two best games in Famitsu. Neither were medieval. Man, that makes want to finally play all the way through X. That'll give me something to do until XII and XIII.

silentenigma
05-21-2006, 03:58 AM
I'm sick and tired of people who whine about any Final Fantasy that doesn't have a medieval setting. Let's see, FFVI was sort of futuristic, and it's considered the best of all time by many people. So I fail to see any logic in your argument.

Umm...I NEVER said anything like "I don't like what was shown about the new FFXIII because it doen't look midieval."
I liked all the traditional FF's and I probably will like this one two.
But still, every final fantasy so far, whether it was futuristic, midieval and whatever, had a world with mostly appealing, vegetated environments.
But as far as I've seen in this game, pretty much everything is all dark and lifeless. I just hope that the whole game doesn't look like that, Especially when I consider the first teaser as something that is supposed to give you an idea of the overall atmosphere...

So I guess Skyblade was probably right, the game probably won't look like that the whole time....and I guess there was a part with a waterfall and forest thing...

Moon Rabbits
05-21-2006, 04:21 AM
VII and X where just voted top two best games in Famitsu. Neither were medieval. Man, that makes want to finally play all the way through X. That'll give me something to do until XII and XIII.

Because the opinions of others sway our own right? FAMITSU LIES!

Markus. D
05-21-2006, 07:48 AM
seriously. The only way I'm going to like the super-futurism is if throughout the story all society falls into a regression and becomes unstable by the end of the game. If all the environments in the game are full of technology and futureness, it would just seem to take away the "epic" feel of it all.

I disagree, IMO, I have played way to many medievil games..., I only get awed out by present or futuristic games.

besides, its the mood that counts epic wise, and we dont know the mood yet...

TheAbominatrix
05-21-2006, 08:00 AM
Dont they show the heroine in a beautiful forest for a brief spot in the trailer? It looked gorgeous.

I dont think what little we've seen can be used to judge the environment of the game. After all, its easier to build one environment and use that and nothing else for a trailer.

Also, the extra pictures that have been released dont really look all that bleak. And of course, no sense in judging it/getting worried at this point. We've got a looooooooong way to go.

Burtsplurt
05-21-2006, 08:44 AM
The initial train sequence and fight with the guards reminded me more of Midgar in FFVII than anything else, albeit with slightly superior graphics...

I don't think that's a bad thing. I really like it when sci-fi is mixed with fantasy. It intrigues me even more.

Malboro_Menace
05-21-2006, 10:48 AM
I really like it when sci-fi is mixed with fantasy. It intrigues me even more.

Same.

If I am correct the trailer has a length of about 1:09 mins? Considering that there should be a good 75-150 hrs of gameplay in there can we really make any assumptions about what the environments will look like?

Tabris
05-21-2006, 10:55 AM
I was disappointed too. :( Personally, I find futuristic settings, robots and technology rather boring. I am not too interested in medieval fantasy either. To me, that looks mostly like Tolkien rip-off.

So what do I like? Spira, for instance. A brand new world that is neither futuristic nor medieval, but something brand new. More or less, at least.

But there was a short scene with a forest in the XIII-trailer, so there might be hope... ;)

marc
05-22-2006, 01:43 PM
I bet the ending of this game will end up being like 1984.
Or maybe the ending will just be Jack Bauer waking up.

ekinserge
05-22-2006, 02:33 PM
too futuristic or not, i don't care...as long as it is a great game, i can't wait to play...

FallenAngel411
05-23-2006, 07:04 AM
I like sc-fi, and I was already getting epic vibes from the trailer alone. In fact, I am 99.5% positive that I will love this game the moment it is released.

Garland
05-23-2006, 10:37 AM
If FFXIII remains closer to traditional FFs than Xenosaga, I'll be happy. When I want a futuristic space RPG, I can enjoy Xenosaga or even Phantasy Star. When I want a medieval RPG I can enjoy Dragon Quest. When I want a unique hybrid of future and medieval technology, I'll enjoy Final Fantasy. Each franchise has an enjoyable niche. I'd hate for them to overlap too much.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
05-23-2006, 10:51 AM
That's a good point Garland. FFVII was futuristic in Midgar, but after you left, it was like, "Yeah, what is this? Future or what?" I mean, there are some rockets and stuff, but Midgar's really the only futuristic city in the world. Most towns looked, well, modern I guess. But it wasn't modern exactly like us, which is good. It was different modern. If you know what I mean. But yeah if FFXIII is clearly futuristic, I won't care, as long as it's not cheesy futuristic.

Markus. D
05-23-2006, 11:05 AM
Dont they show the heroine in a beautiful forest for a brief spot in the trailer? It looked gorgeous.

I dont think what little we've seen can be used to judge the environment of the game. After all, its easier to build one environment and use that and nothing else for a trailer.

Also, the extra pictures that have been released dont really look all that bleak. And of course, no sense in judging it/getting worried at this point. We've got a looooooooong way to go.

I wish other people would realise that :)

Snap Jumper
05-23-2006, 02:37 PM
too futuristic or not, i don't care...as long as it is a great game, i can't wait to play...

Exactly my thoughts. My top concern with games is gameplay. Other aspects are nice, but without quality gameplay, it's all style and no substance. I don't mind futuristic at all. I get can used to any atmosphere that is created.

LunarWeaver
05-23-2006, 03:24 PM
Final Fantasy already went into space,twice, not exactly a huge sci-fi line left to cross.

Almost all of the pictures show forests n' such anyway, all 2 of them that judgment has been passed on. Though technology is mixed in with it...It's not like ultra-future or anything as far as I can see. I can do either though, medieval or sci-fi, so it all works for me.

Markus. D
05-23-2006, 03:29 PM

Exactly my thoughts. My top concern with games is gameplay. Other aspects are nice, but without quality gameplay, it's all style and no substance. I don't mind futuristic at all. I get can used to any atmosphere that is created.

My top concern is more with the Storyline.

Tavrobel
05-23-2006, 10:10 PM
Well, whatever happens, the two envornments will probably somehow come to a clash during the story. I expect you'll be spending an equal amount of time in both.

I myself enjoy medieval settings, but sometimes, you need a break. Sci-Fi works, but only if they make the game well. And I don't know, because I'm a filthy newb, but doesn't SE have a good track record with games?

QFT

Serapy
05-24-2006, 09:22 PM
All FF games have different fictions, so does it matter? :P

and yeah, FF13 should have a lot of places that we haven't seen yet.

Ashley Schovitz
05-24-2006, 09:45 PM

The majority of everything in E3 was futuristic type games, I guess that they assumed that it's the so called next gen console that they have to make it futuristic, I just hope it works well for XIII.

Sephex
05-25-2006, 12:06 AM
To me, the setting has never been that important. The story and battle system is what makes an RPG important.

Snap Jumper
05-25-2006, 01:07 AM
My top concern is more with the Storyline.

Then TV and movies would be better for you. No gameplay to worry about at all.

Crossblades
05-25-2006, 02:17 AM
I love medieval FFs as much as the next guy, but it wouldn't hurt for the series to go futuristic once in a while

feona17
06-26-2006, 06:37 AM
dude.. seriously. ff doesn't always have to be all medieval and other worldly

No.78
06-26-2006, 08:43 AM
I dunno whether anyone's said this already (cos I can't be assed to read nemore posts), but FFVII was in a futuristic setting. And so was X (except the futuristic bit was in the past... :p)

Jessweeee♪
06-26-2006, 07:36 PM
I've been waiting for an FF like this for awhile...and now it's on the ps3 :(

drunkymonkey
06-28-2006, 02:00 PM
I hope that FF doesn't go all sci-fi. I don't really like completely futuristic stuff. I prefer 9 style settings.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
06-28-2006, 04:26 PM
I thought I wouldn't like 9 so much since I started with 7 and 8, but it was still really good. 5 did suck the first time I played it, but I tried it again later, and it turned out to be pretty good. Then I starting hearing people say that PS version stunk, so I thought, "Oh, maybe it's not the medieval setting, but more the port."

Jessweeee♪
06-28-2006, 09:38 PM
I would LOVE a futuristic FF!

feona17
06-29-2006, 01:54 AM
I would LOVE a futuristic FF!

YEAH! Exactly, just to see what it's like. :love:

Setzer Gabianni
06-29-2006, 07:41 AM
You obviously haven't played FFVIII - ESTHAR ANYBODY? This isn't a breakthrough FF title, we've had futuristic ones before - make it to sci-fi and the whole thing will suck.

~Setzer Gabianni

vorpal blade
06-29-2006, 09:16 AM
Personally, I think that FFXIV needs to be a more classic fantasy setting, like FFI. I miss that kind of world. Not that I don't like sci-fi. I loved FFVII and thought that FFVIII was good, and they were both modernish. And I think it's about time we had a totally futuristic world, rather than a modern world or a futuristic lost nation like the Lufenians or Esthar (yes, I'm aware that Esthar is not really "lost," but it is to the rest of the world). But after this, they should make FFXIV a classic fantasy game. They havent done that since FFV (for some reason FFIX didnt feel "classic" enough).

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
06-29-2006, 09:20 AM
Well, in FFIX, it was the return of the medieval setting AND Yositaka Amano. . .where'd they go wrong? I even liked it, coming from VII and VIII.

Zeromus_X
06-29-2006, 09:28 AM
There are crystals.

Quite frankly, I don't care what else happens in the game.

drunkymonkey
06-29-2006, 10:16 AM
Personally, I think that FFXIV needs to be a more classic fantasy setting, like FFI. I miss that kind of world. Not that I don't like sci-fi. I loved FFVII and thought that FFVIII was good, and they were both modernish. And I think it's about time we had a totally futuristic world, rather than a modern world or a futuristic lost nation like the Lufenians or Esthar (yes, I'm aware that Esthar is not really "lost," but it is to the rest of the world). But after this, they should make FFXIV a classic fantasy game. They havent done that since FFV (for some reason FFIX didnt feel "classic" enough).
I agree. I'm all for variety. Sci-fi and fantasy, they both rule. Even if I like the latter more.

Zeromus_X
06-29-2006, 10:17 AM
None of the games were completely midieval anyway. There's always going to be airships, so poof, there goes that. (And usually some sort of 'lost technology' theme, which is inevitable.) Whether it isn't modern or not, there will be technology. It just depends on how much. (In this case, a bit more than usual.)

Jessweeee♪
06-29-2006, 09:57 PM
You obviously haven't played FFVIII - ESTHAR ANYBODY? This isn't a breakthrough FF title, we've had futuristic ones before - make it to sci-fi and the whole thing will suck.

~Setzer Gabianni

NOT FUTURISTIC ENOUGH!!! and Esthar was just one city. I want the WORLD to be esthar, or Zanarkand at least.

IceAngel
06-29-2006, 11:17 PM
I haven't played any other futuristic themed FF's before FF8 but I really thought the theme was good and fitting. As long as the surroundings fit in well with the themes, I will be happy :).

Crossblades
06-29-2006, 11:31 PM
I haven't played any other futuristic themed FF's before FF8 .

Only FF before VIII that was futuristic was VII. The rest had a medieval setting and VI was somewhat of a mix

Jessweeee♪
06-30-2006, 07:15 PM
they weren't all that futuristic.

No.78
07-01-2006, 02:55 PM
omg ff13 is slightly more futuristic than previous FF'S COMMIT SUICIDE!!

-_-

drunkymonkey
07-01-2006, 03:36 PM
omg ff13 is slightly more futuristic than previous FF'S COMMIT SUICIDE!!

-_-
I'd actually say it was a lot more futuristic, and your comment, while potentially witty, just sounds a bit silly to be honest. No-one is suggesting that this is a total and utter disaster, so you don't have to act like everyone is saying this is a total and utter disaster.

For my previous point: FF7 was sci-fi yes, but it was a Full Throttle kind of sci-fi, with rotting buildings, and the incredible sense of rust that Square got so right in making it. I haven't played 8, but judging by the screenshots, it isn't anything like what 13 is going to be. I don't know whether this is a good or bad thing. Certainly, I like my Final Fantasy's more fantasy than sci-fi, but this game looks very interesting.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
07-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Interesting, wikipedia says there will be crystals again in FFXIII, at least Versus. Ok, now this should be interesting. There are no crystals in futuristic or steampunk FF's. Put crystals in a FFVII/VIII or more advanced world--well, if the KH team does Versus, then I don't think they'd ruin anything. It'll definitely be interesting. I didn't exactly grow up with the medieval FFs, but I have played them, so I'll look at FFXIII with enthusiam and intrigue, and so should all of you.

boys from the dwarf
07-12-2006, 03:45 PM
my top concern is also the storyline. FF7 and 8 were futuristic and they were fine and as long as the storylines good it should be a good game. its best not to judge it until it comes out and you play it for yourself.

Mage_of_Fire
07-13-2006, 01:25 PM
None of the games were completely midieval anyway. There's always going to be airships, so poof, there goes that. (And usually some sort of 'lost technology' theme, which is inevitable.) Whether it isn't modern or not, there will be technology. It just depends on how much. (In this case, a bit more than usual.)

there was no lost technology in FF1!!!!!!11 omgeez ;)

--

Why would anyone watch TV for a storyline? rofl. Storyline is a perfectly legitimate concern in a video game, enough with this silly "go read a book" stuff. The battle system sounds solid enough, I don't like waiting through long animations to give my next command, so this whole pre-progrmaming thing or whatever (I haven't read much about it, so not sure completely) doesn't sound half bad.

I just with there were the classic aeons. :(

--

And people should maybe read the thread before they post this whole "omg futuristic = /wrists rofl" junk. The OP changed his mind, if you notice.

Rosenti
08-09-2006, 07:13 PM
the trailer was a bit dissapointing to me.. i dont mind futuristic surroundings but... it seems that it had no life in it.. no feeling..
i cant say anything for sure just now.. just gotta wait until it comes out

for ps3.... which i cant afford, hehe.. :(

tidus_rox
08-17-2006, 07:15 PM
well we havn't seen many other places in the game. maybe some parts of the world aren't so futuristic? maybe the closer you get to the crystal, the more advance the enviroment is. who knows?

The crystal, what? The stary line has been annouced? If so please tell

Dynast-Kid
08-17-2006, 09:47 PM
The compilation the game is apart of has the title:"Tale of the Crystal"I'm sure there will be crystals...

And on the subject,I really wouldn't mind another FF in a futuristic setting.I think that FFXII that will be released soon will be the perfect mix for me.

Miriel
08-17-2006, 10:21 PM
There is a way to make something futuristic, but rustic at the same time. Case in point, Firefly/Serenity.

I lean more towards enjoying the medieval setting but I liked the mix of future and past that happened in FFVII. I am not a fan of super futuristic or entirely sci-fi settings.

feona17
08-18-2006, 04:12 AM
Yeah, you know that scene in the trailer, where she's walking through the woods... not exactly concrete and hover cars.

Rostum
08-18-2006, 07:01 AM
Well I like Xenosaga, and I'm alright with futuristic -- as long as it is broken up with beautiful nature environments (you see it in the teaser, for a few seconds, for FFXIII). I like futuristic and I like medieval settings too, so it's no real dissapointment for me at all. :)

Aurons_Desciple
08-18-2006, 07:45 AM
I thought the futurestic look, looked pretty good. I like it, FF9's locations got kind of boring and bland IMO

Vyk
08-18-2006, 09:38 AM

there was no lost technology in FF1!!!!!!11 omgeez ;)

Yeah there was :) You had to go through time to complete the game. And you had to fight one of the feinds on a space ship. The game didn't look sci-fi but it did have sci-fi.

As almost all of them have.

I prefer the post apocalyptic industrial slum thing and steam punk of FF6/7 over FF1-4's mix'n'match game. Games more recent than 7 I won't comment on as I didn't like them so my opinion is negatively biased and that's usually unwelcome and unnecissary. But adding technology in a more mainstream sense to the plot has never ruined a FF game in its own right. I'm sure there will be plenty of fantasy about it. The game looks to be more interesting and faster paced than 8-10 were (to me anyway).

Conflagration
08-21-2006, 12:42 AM
To people who say "not all FFs have to be medieval" or "they can make some FFs futuristic once in a while": What are you talking about?

FFVII was very futuristic, FFVIII was very futuristic, FFX was somewhat futuristic with lost technology, FFX-2 was futuristic. The only one that seems to be completely medieval is FFIX, which still has airships and such. FFXII has very much technology in it also, even though it is medieval. I realize I'm not counting the old FFs but my point is we've had futuristic themes with most of the newer games, which are the actual 3D ones. They've been focusing on technology ever since FFVII, except for IX, and now XIII seems to be the most futuristic of all. As soon as I saw the trailer, I thought Star Wars.

Not that technology is a bad thing, but you shouldn't flame the thread maker and say "not all FFs have to be medieval", because almost all the FFs since FFVII are very much futuristic.

Ashley Schovitz
08-21-2006, 01:15 AM
FFVII,VIII, or X wasn't futuristic, if I quote FFVII they have all the technology that we have now so one would call it as in present day. and with VIII with the exception of Esther and with X Zanarkand was the only part that was futuristic. XIII is the only futuristic game or maybe you could call Vi futuristic too.

King-Killer
08-21-2006, 06:27 PM
It is perfect like it is now.
You get to fight off robots.

Vyk
08-21-2006, 11:22 PM
To people who say "not all FFs have to be medieval" or "they can make some FFs futuristic once in a while": What are you talking about?

FFVII was very futuristic, FFVIII was very futuristic, FFX was somewhat futuristic with lost technology, FFX-2 was futuristic. The only one that seems to be completely medieval is FFIX, which still has airships and such. FFXII has very much technology in it also, even though it is medieval. I realize I'm not counting the old FFs but my point is we've had futuristic themes with most of the newer games, which are the actual 3D ones. They've been focusing on technology ever since FFVII, except for IX, and now XIII seems to be the most futuristic of all. As soon as I saw the trailer, I thought Star Wars.

Not that technology is a bad thing, but you shouldn't flame the thread maker and say "not all FFs have to be medieval", because almost all the FFs since FFVII are very much futuristic.

Telling the thread maker it's okay to have some technology in a FF isn't flaming. And I think a lot of people are saying that because they either don't really care for the medieval theme, or don't mind one way or the other so it doesn't mattter

But more reasonably is those like me, who've been with Final Fantasys since the beginning when they were more mideival than anything else. Yes there was technology, but it was just kinda background. And until you get to FF4 that's the most you get I think. And even then, real technology is late in the game. But it still has a medieval feel. Considering you only have swords staffs and armor and stuff. Nobody has a gun or anything. 6 incorporated a lot of steam punk technology. So it was more alternate past than futuristic. Seven had the industrial slums, so was also more alternate present than anything. Eight had a little futuristic. Nine went back to the past again. So you have six games that concentrate more on the past than anything. Then throw in FF9 and you get a seventh. FF7 was a breathe of fresh air. Those of us that have been here through it all are probably bored with medeival themes or scenery. I like the mix of nature and technology that 13 seems to have. I think 7 did a good job incorporating both. And since that was the last FF I enjoyed, I think it's fair to be appreciative of 13 pushing it farther. Though I do like what I see of 12, you are right, there is a lot of technology there too. But it too is technology mixed with mideival'esque style. 13's not going to be mideival'esque. And good for it.

King-Killer
08-22-2006, 07:08 PM
Sword, Sword, my beautiful Sword.
Ever wonder how Strenght is irrelevent if you use guns?
If you're character gets stronger, well you won't hit harder with a gun...
Even if some games it is.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
08-22-2006, 11:43 PM
*pretends he didn't read that poem and goes back to playing FFVII*

Well, I think Lightning uses some kind of gunblade which does require strength, so hopefully we don't have to worry. But if someone does use a gun, oh well.

JulioA
10-12-2006, 02:25 AM
I like the idea of a futuristic theme, more than anything a future that still has style.

Dragon Mage
10-14-2006, 01:39 AM
Star Wars+Battlefield Earth=Epics.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
10-14-2006, 05:05 AM
Well, it might be weird b/c there hasn't been any crystals in a non-medieval FF. I guess we'll have to see how things work out.

In my opinion, I think the original FF series should have ended with six b/c 7 is so different. They probably should have started a shoot-off series like Neo-Final Fantasy or something, and FFVII would have been Neo-Final Fantasy 1 and so forth. Then maybe there'd be less complaints. Then we'd be like, "Ok, a neo-FF coming up; ok so it'll be like FF7 or FF8, good I like those games."

Elpizo
10-14-2006, 09:07 AM
Sigh... I'm lookign forward to XIII really... But I wish they just would go all classic again for just once...

I want a Final Boss like NeoExDeath again... No, don't tell me we've had Necron! Necron was plain complete. He was a perfect shape, NeoExDeath was a ass of flesh, skulls, heads and what not. His battlebackgroudn was the greatest ever. Did we ever have a Final Boss liek him in 3D? Nope. That's my wish. A 3D Final Boss like him, with gorgeous graphics. Just a new FF that's like FF V, with normal ATB, Crystals, an evil pyromaniac villain and a Final Boss that comes out of nowhere (Necron DID come out of somewhere, like many of you refuse to believe). Oh yes, an outer-space-ish Final Dungeon. Memoria was great and all, but The Cleft of Dimensions in 3D would really be something to see...

But of course, that's never going to happen! Innovation! New things!

I never saw anything wrong with a good old world map, ATB random battles and some bad-ass designed dungeons with walls of skulls and flesh (Hello ExDeath!). But we never got something like that in 3D. IX came close, but not fully. IX got the spirit of the original, but it still wasn't really the same...

My dearest wish for FF XIV, if there ever will be one, is just classicness, like V or even III. Not like VI, VII or VIII. All great games but I want some classicness again. The last thing that came close to classicness is already 5 years old. And in those 5 years, they made 3 more FF games with some great new stuff in them.

But of course, classicness is not new! No innovation! No new things! Okay, so it's not going to happen. Too bad, guess I'm going to pray for a FF V 3D DS remake or something for my hunger to some classicness on its best.

But I'll buy XIII and vsXIII just as well, cause they have sparked my interest.

abrojtm
10-16-2006, 08:51 AM
I didn't like FFVIII's sic-fi-ness either. Esthar sucked.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
10-16-2006, 08:57 AM
No, Esthar was cool, except for the music. Well, ok maybe it wasn't too interesting, but I like futuristic if they do it right, like Solaris in Xenogears. It's certainly much more interesting than a town and a castle with a king.

Elpizo
10-16-2006, 03:45 PM
No, Esthar was cool, except for the music. Well, ok maybe it wasn't too interesting, but I like futuristic if they do it right, like Solaris in Xenogears. It's certainly much more interesting than a town and a castle with a king.
why's that? Esthar had a president, a Castle has a King. What's the difference?

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
10-16-2006, 05:10 PM
Esthar could have been better, like Solaris in Xenogears. But Cornelia didn't have a cool turbolift in it. Or take Midgar in FFVII. It was a lot more complex and interesting than just a castle and a little town. It's got a railroad, mako reactors, shinra HQ, 8 sectors. Cornelia is pretty boring by comparison. Not that FF1 is a bad game. I actually own both the PS1 and NES versions and think it is good. FFIX was still creative, even though it was mostly medieval, and I still loved it.

Ender
10-18-2006, 08:27 PM
It seems to me that after doing the medieval thing five times Square finally decided to try to see if RPGs, and Final Fantasy in particular, worked outside of the medieval-type setting. Turns out it can work anywhere if you do it right. They decided to come back to it with IX after they had established that it worked elsewhere, and my guess is, if they continue the series, we will see a mainly-medieval setting again.

And for the record, I love the sci-fi/medieval-fantasy fusion, but I'm a little concerned that the setting of XIII is essentially XII with perhaps a more technology-based/evolved world. :confused: Granted, I haven't seen much of either game so far.

Dragon Mage
10-21-2006, 01:41 AM
Exactly what was the complaint? If it's futuristic, than it's futuristic. Who cares? It works best for the plot. So what's the big deal? I'm sorry, I just don't see the use of complaining about the time setting of a game everyone here wants to play.

Nakor TheBlue Rider
10-24-2006, 04:00 AM
Personaly I only prefer Medival settings because it allows for more weapons like; swords, Axes, Bows, Staffs, Magic, and much less weapons like; Guns, Lasers, Bombs.

and to me a Game with Guns is just a Shooter game, and that usually means Mindless Fun of pointing and shooting. To me I don't Enjoy Guns in My RPG's, I always prefer Bows, swords, Axes, because its just more fun.

I mean a Magical Sword sounds cool,
A Magical Gun sounds retarded. :drool:

Sorceress_Louella
02-16-2007, 09:49 AM
I didn't like FFVIII's sic-fi-ness either. Esthar sucked.

about esthar....a magazine i read had squall standing beside it on the world map, but the captions says that squall was standing beside galbadia. was there a galbadia city? if so, it must've been hidden or something lol. i know this isn't FF13 question, but i seen this post and had to ask.

Savannah
02-21-2007, 09:31 PM
Not that almost all of these fatalistic arguments aren't completely ridiculous, but. . .

Personaly I only prefer Medival settings because it allows for more weapons like; swords, Axes, Bows, Staffs, Magic, and much less weapons like; Guns, Lasers, Bombs.

and to me a Game with Guns is just a Shooter game, and that usually means Mindless Fun of pointing and shooting. To me I don't Enjoy Guns in My RPG's, I always prefer Bows, swords, Axes, because its just more fun.

Are you kidding me? "A game with guns is just a shooter game"? That's the silliest thing I've ever read, and seems like just a pathetic attempt to say "I don't like guns, so I don't want them in an FF, ever!" Did you miss the part in FFXII and FVIII where they both had guns and both of them were RPGs (and not really futuristic)?

Medieval settings don't automatically lend themselves to more weapons. The FF games have offered plenty of creative and interesting weapons in both settings. They have proven to us time and again that "medieval" does not mean "only swords and bows" and that "futuristic" doesn't mean "lasers and guns," so why are you worried about it now?

I'm so tired of people in this community searching so hard for something to bitch about. Would most of you really just be happy if they just kept remaking FFVII over and over?

kikimm
03-01-2007, 09:58 PM
This is way old.