PDA

View Full Version : Calculator Class

Ifirit's Fury
05-19-2006, 03:20 PM
Okay, this may be a stupid question, but I'm confused.

I've just gained my first calculator character, I've purchased a few abilites for the job class, this person also has Black Magic as secondary skill.

My problem is that I cannot use the Math Skill. It states that I do not have any combo abilities....I'm not sure what this means. I have the "5" ability and combined with the black magic spells, why am I not able to use Math?

Any insight would be helpful.

Behold the Void
05-19-2006, 03:46 PM
What the calculator does is combine two variables together to unleash their skill. You need both a numbered and a named skill to use a skill combo. Having Black Magic as a secondary doesn't matter, any Black, White, Time and Yin-Yang magic that you have that can be used in the Math Skills will appear in the spell list.

What you do is you take the two variables, let's say CT and 5, and use a spell instantaneously, without MP cost, that targets everyone who falls within the perameters.

So in the case of CT 5, anybody who's CT is divisible by the number 5 will be targeted with the spell you calculate.

Ifirit's Fury
05-19-2006, 03:51 PM
Makes sence. I thought I already had CT or Level but may not. I've been experimenting with classes and may not have saved recently. Thanks for the heads up

szetok
05-19-2006, 10:05 PM
ive tried using calculators and found them to be too complicating / tedious for my liking. id recommend skipping calculators and just use other classes that dont require as much thinking. im probably alone on this one though. sorry if i offend any calc lovers

Octorok
05-20-2006, 01:28 AM
Well, for one, it's like you have your entire magic arsenal all in one skill set.

Secondly, if you're patient enough, you can end up healing your entire party/damaging all enemy units in a single move.

Finally, all of it happens instantaneously, meaning no charge time.

This is why Math Skill can be particularly devastating, especially as a second ability.

BG-57
05-20-2006, 02:57 PM
You need the full Math Skills set for it to be worthwhile. And it's the best secondary skill set in the game. You can wipe out an army of enemies on the opposite side of the board without them ever touching you.

Now that's power! :radred:

conan
05-22-2006, 05:33 PM
Everyone here puts their calculators on auto-battle, correct? Or is that just me?

Khaotic
05-22-2006, 11:58 PM
I don't, I just simply click on one of the options and check the squares to see which targets it hits.

Despotus
05-23-2006, 09:48 AM
I don't, I just simply click on one of the options and check the squares to see which targets it hits.
That's a good way to check out random targeting. Personally, I try to keep all of my characters on Heights of 0, 1, or something with a .5, that way I can use HeightXPrime Number, HeightX3, or to a lesser extent X4 or 5 to punish my opponents.;) Or just use some equipment that stops Frog (or Sleep) on all of your characters and let the status effects weaken your enemies. I understand that equipment that absorbs Holy spells is also very nice, but it ends the battle too quickly I.M.O.

Ifirit's Fury
05-23-2006, 07:05 PM
Okay, I've been playing around with the calculator and I must agree that it's waaaaaaaaaay to complicated. I end up hitting friend and foe with my spells. (Usually CT and 5). Now I know I just don't know enough about the class to use it properly but I'm strating to lose patience with the character.

Behold the Void
05-23-2006, 08:09 PM
Before you calculate, make sure that you look around and see who all has a green box around them. That means that they'll be targeted by the spell. Having more variables makes them work much better, but you still need to be able to calculate it properly. It's simple math, but you need to be aware of who all is on the battlefield and where they are.

Despotus
05-24-2006, 01:25 AM
And Height is much easier to manipulate/control than CT. Spend a battle getting Jp for your Calculator. Give him the Squire skill set (Basic Skill) and Accumulate over and over and over while your other characters keep the enemies at bay. If you earn around 1000 jp, you should be able to purchase more useful Caculating parameters. :cool: I.e. Height, Prime Number, maybe X3 or X4...