PDA

View Full Version : Favourite 3D fighting game

Erdrick Holmes
05-20-2006, 12:01 AM
Yet another poll so I can mock people's tastes in games.

Dreddz
05-20-2006, 02:22 AM
Probably Tekken seeing as ive been with the series from the very beginning and it was the series that got me into fighting games. I only got into Virtua fighter since VF4. Great game still, but dosent compare to Tekken 5.

bipper
05-20-2006, 02:28 AM
I love DOA 2 - but its the only one I have played :) :D So I voted SC

why is budokai not on the list ;)

Roto13
05-20-2006, 02:46 AM
Soul Calibur- Button mashing with weapons

Button mashing

H8! >_>

Erdrick Holmes
05-20-2006, 03:11 AM
It's true though, ever heard about that news article about that blind guy who kept beating people in Soul Calibur 2? You can litterally close your eyes and mash buttons on the controller with your palm a few times and win.

Shoeberto
05-20-2006, 03:17 AM
Something that is well-executed, fun, and easy for casual gamers to get into must immediately be terrible.

Yamaneko
05-20-2006, 03:19 AM
Mortal Kombat is the single greatest fighting game ever. It transcends the 2d/3d boundary.

Psychotic
05-20-2006, 03:49 AM
Tekken.

NINJA_Ryu
05-20-2006, 04:05 AM
Super Smash Bros! and Melee...

I love beating down others as my fav nintendo guys, and it puts the almighty question to the test.

Could link beat mario?

Can Bowser get his ass beat by kirby?

etc...etc...etc..

DeathKnight
05-20-2006, 06:05 AM
Virtua Fighter and Smash Bros.

Yuffie514
05-20-2006, 06:19 AM
Tekken. while i'm not great with combos, it's easier to control the characters. i've played Tekken 2, Tekken 3, Tekken 5, and Tekken Tag Tournament. i have played other fighting games and once owned Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore - playing as Ayane isn't easy.

chaos_ghost
05-20-2006, 09:19 AM
Of the ones on that list, Tekken. But 3D fighters in general, Mortal Kombat, Super Smash Bros., and DBZ: Budokai.

Slothy
05-20-2006, 12:20 PM
It's true though, ever heard about that news article about that blind guy who kept beating people in Soul Calibur 2? You can litterally close your eyes and mash buttons on the controller with your palm a few times and win.

Like any truly great fighting game, the Soul Calibur series is something anyone can pick up and within minutes enjoy some success with. And like any truly great fighting game, once you begin to learn a characters move list, read your opponents, and recognize when to do what, no blind man, or even a button masher who can see will ever be able to beat you.

There's far more depth to the series then you're giving it credit for, which only shows me that you've spent very little time actually playing it.

I voted Soul Calibur by the way, as though it weren't obvious.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
05-20-2006, 01:02 PM
tekken has the most moves, so tekken

Markus. D
05-20-2006, 02:32 PM
Devil May Cry 3, just cause I am bored...

DK
05-20-2006, 03:42 PM
Tekken, I like the different styles of Martial Art available for use. Also Kuma is the best character of all time in any fighting games (no paul mokujin sux compared to Kuma :mad2:). Any game with a fighting bear in it > *

Mo-Nercy
05-20-2006, 03:59 PM
Soul Calibur doesn't have a crush system as practical as Tekken's. In Tekken, if someone's assaulting you with a string of quick high jabs, you have a whole range of moves available to you that allow you to duck under the high jab and hit them either mid or low to get some breathing space. Because most SC moves are mid, it's a lot harder to crush. What you're supposed to do is space out and create opportunities to CH on whiffs. I find myself having to do this with Cassandra quite often (she has the best punishing move in the game) but I guess I prefer pitbulling if I'm playing against someone not as good as me.

Lionx
05-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Err i aint as huge into the 3-D scene so i would say King of Fighters Maximum Impact XDDDD

KentaRawr!
05-22-2006, 04:21 AM
Soul Calibur.

Hmph... I don't button mash. :mad:

Meat Puppet
05-22-2006, 04:22 AM
Mortal Kombat.

Rengori
05-22-2006, 04:25 AM
Soul Caliber.

ekinserge
05-22-2006, 05:24 AM
you forgot to put KOF Maximum Impact 2...it's not a great game, but fun to play with...i spent a whole day playing it untill i succeed unlocking Jivatma...although the language spoken is japanese, the menus still in english...

Breine
05-22-2006, 08:31 PM

True, but if you actually sit down and truly learn to know the game, you will discover that it is very deep and strategic.

Although I do love the Soul Calibur series the Tekken series gets my vote. I've been a die-hard Tekken fan for almost 10 years now, which is quite an amount of time for the games to grow on me :)

Venom
05-22-2006, 09:13 PM
Mortal Kombat: Deception.

edczxcvbnm
05-22-2006, 10:33 PM
I like Soul Calibur because I don't have to think. I have VF4:EVO and I am pretty good at it but I am not always in the mood to pay that much attention to every fucking detail. It is the difference between Halo 2 and Rainbow Six 3. One is mindless fun and the other requires much more strategy.

As to Joel's thing about a blind guy beating people at Soul Calibur...I guess that makes Street Fighter a button masher also. There is a guy at my friend's school who is blind and he owns people in Street Fighter games. I have seen it. It is crazy. He throws a fire ball to learn your position based on the sounds.

Erdrick Holmes
05-22-2006, 10:43 PM
Ed, what character does this guy use?

edczxcvbnm
05-22-2006, 11:07 PM
Mostly Ryu or Ken or Akuma due to their fire balls. How is what character he uses relevant?

Mirage
05-22-2006, 11:43 PM
Dead or Alive is a more of a button smasher than Soul Calibur :(.
*Votes SC*
Dead or Alive girls aren't really oiled, they're just affected by the Techmo syndrome.

~SapphireStar~
05-23-2006, 12:20 AM
Its between Tekken and DOA for me. Both are great big bundles of bouncy :D fun!

Erdrick Holmes
05-23-2006, 02:11 AM
Mostly Ryu or Ken or Akuma due to their fire balls. How is what character he uses relevant?

Because some characters are so obviously simple to use, like Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Honda, Sagat, and afew others can let you take multiple 'blind swipes' and still land most of them without failure. Next time try getting him to play with somebody like Fei Long, or Yang.

Lionx
05-23-2006, 03:02 AM
I dont know about that but in general most people will tell you that shotos especially in CvS2 is especially hard to use in general, and that to use them to their full potentials you have to be really skilled.

Although its true, most newbs use C Groove(basic SF bar) with Ryu, Ken, Akuma, or Sagat =/ and depending on their order and the way they hold their sticks, you can tell if they have anything of close to skill.

Erdrick Holmes
05-23-2006, 03:19 AM
Pussies use the C groove, tough guys use P.

Lionx
05-23-2006, 03:19 AM
Until you see Sagat hit you with that level two then cancel into uppercut that does level 3 damage. I personally use C N K @@;

KentaRawr!
05-23-2006, 04:26 AM
Because some characters are so obviously simple to use, like Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Honda, Sagat, and afew others can let you take multiple 'blind swipes' and still land most of them without failure. Next time try getting him to play with somebody like Fei Long, or Yang.

I think you missed the part where it said that he uses Fire Balls to find out how far away you are. o_o

edczxcvbnm
05-23-2006, 05:31 AM
A blind guy has a hard enough time playing a fighting game and Joel is trying to take any sort of credit away from the guy for using a character like Ken. That is just sad Joel. One game can't be a button masher POS and the other not because the guy happens to use a specific type of character based on a certain skill.

Anyways...I suck at street fight but I button mash my way to victory half the time against anyone...when I have Vega. That guy is so easy to use and is cheap as hell :D

Reine
05-23-2006, 05:44 AM
Super Smash Brothers Melee

If anyone somehow DOESNT love this game, then they will be burninated!

black orb
05-23-2006, 05:55 AM
>>> Samurai Shodown Warrior's Rage ..
I know is an awful 3D fighter but the new characters they put there were bad ass..

Markus. D
05-31-2006, 09:01 AM
Guilty Gear Isuka was a breath of fresh air, the graphics were grainy though ;\

so, GG X-2 #Reload

Levian
05-31-2006, 12:56 PM
down down up up left right left right FATALITY!

Dreddz
05-31-2006, 01:09 PM
Pussies use the C groove, tough guys use P.
While the C and A grooves are generally the beginners choice, they have there advantages, its easiest to pull off large combo's which these grooves. Believe me, Ive had my ass handed to me by people using the C groove. The P groove is definately better in my eyes, seeing as it uses the parrying system from SFIII. But the K groove has always been my personal favourite.

Erdrick Holmes
05-31-2006, 04:15 PM
Guilty Gear Isuka was a breath of fresh air, the graphics were grainy though ;\

so, GG X-2 #Reload

Isuka sucked.

Big D
06-01-2006, 01:41 AM
Tekken for me. Fantastic series, especially later installments - 3 and 5 in particular. Good to see a title with motion-captured moves performed by genuine experts in each martial art, and some non-mainstream styles thrown in the mix. The game has the benefit of being accessible to beginners due to the simple control layout - left kick, right kick, left punch, right punch etc - but the sheer depth and complexity of each character means there's room for mastery too. You can play one character for years and still keep finding new tricks and strategies.

Juggling is a handy trick when you can accomplish it, but usually it's just something that unskilled players whine about when they get beaten by a superior opponent. When two sufficiently skilled players fight, complex juggles are rare and risky. The weak damage caused by juggle blows sometimes fail to make up for the time it takes to execute them - the faster, more damaging blows are generally made with both characters on the ground.

DeathKnight
06-01-2006, 01:42 AM
I can't believe Virtua Fighter has 4 votes :irked: It's the only decent game on that poll. AND! it has a block button which actually works, unlike *cough* Dead Or Alive *cough* Soul Calibur.

~SapphireStar~
06-01-2006, 01:43 AM
it has a block button which actually works, unlike *cough* Dead Or Alive *cough* Soul Calibur.
DOA has bouncing breasts though :D

DeathKnight
06-01-2006, 01:46 AM
it has a block button which actually works, unlike *cough* Dead Or Alive *cough* Soul Calibur.
DOA has bouncing breasts though :D

like Virtua Fighter doesn't:rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2

~SapphireStar~
06-01-2006, 01:47 AM
Wouldnt know, Ive never played it.

DeathKnight
06-01-2006, 01:48 AM
Wouldnt know, Ive never played it.

........then why did you reply to me then?:eyebrow:

~SapphireStar~
06-01-2006, 01:50 AM
Just to inform you that Ive never played it, so I dont know if it has bouncy beasts involved or not. I thought DOA was the only fighting game that did.

DeathKnight
06-01-2006, 01:52 AM
Just to inform you that Ive never played it, so I dont know if it has bouncy beasts involved or not. I thought DOA was the only fighting game that did.

Well I always believe that one must know what they're talking 'bout.

I really never asked whether anyone played Virtua Fighter or not. But anyway, now you know, Virtua Fighter DOES have bouncy boobs, and so does Soul Calibur.

~SapphireStar~
06-01-2006, 01:53 AM
Well I always believe that one must know what they're talking 'bout.
Geez sorry, mistakes can be made man.

I really never asked whether anyone played Virtua Fighter or not.
I know you didnt, I was just telling you I had never played it and I didnt know it featured bouncing beasts. End of now.

Big D
06-01-2006, 01:54 AM
Tekken 5 has the added 'bonus' of butt jiggling. Sad, but true.

DeathKnight
06-01-2006, 01:57 AM
Tekken 5 has the added 'bonus' of butt jiggling. Sad, but true.

lol, Soul Calibur has that as well, but you don't have to unlock it:D:up:

Agent Proto
06-01-2006, 01:58 AM
I've played most of the fighting games listed, sadly, I suck on most of them, the only game I'm fairly good at is Soul Calibur.

Zeromus_X
06-01-2006, 01:59 AM
I suck at fighters, but the only two I played and really enjoyed were Tekken Tag Tournament and Super Smash Bros. So I guess Tekken is my choice. :cat:

DeathKnight
06-01-2006, 02:00 AM
I've played most of the fighting games listed, sadly, I suck on most of them, the only game I'm fairly good at is Soul Calibur.

Yeah, I'm kinda the same way, except I'm very good with Virtua Fighter.

You should try 2D fighting games, they're better OVERALL.

Erdrick Holmes
06-01-2006, 02:25 AM
Yes, 2D fighters>>>>>>>> Virtua Fighter 4> DoA 2>>>>>>>>>>shoving a condom filled with lemon juice and thumbtacks in your butt>>>>>>>>>>>>Tekken 3>>>>>> Soul Calibur 3.

Im guild of this.... I play DoA because I enjoy seeing sweaty beaufitul lesbians pummel eachother.

Agent Proto
06-01-2006, 02:40 AM
I enjoy 2D fighters better, when it's fast paced.

Madame Adequate
06-01-2006, 06:07 AM
Soul Calibur II. III is pretty swish, but II is the classic right now. Anybody who thinks button bashing can win a game of SCII can come along to my place and I will show them otherwise.

I got nothing against Tekken, but the series never going to beat Tekken 2.

Dead or Alive is also fucking brilliant. I do not understand those who say otherwise, or those who claim the game requires no skill. It's like they don't know the countering system exists.

The only 2D fighters as good as any of those are the Marvel vs. Capcom games. Guilty Gear comes close. Everything else is lamesausages.

Dreddz
06-01-2006, 12:10 PM
While I have nothing against Soul Caliber, I have to agree that it can be a button masher, if one wants it to be. Ive seen kids in arcades thinking there amazing because they can bash any buttons using Maxi, its pathetic....

scooby
06-01-2006, 07:07 PM
Tekken... because it's the only fighting game series I've ever played! LOL!*sheepish* Plus, I'm actually good at it! I love Nina! :heart: "Nina Williams... fight!" I will never get tired of hearing that....

Madame Adequate
06-01-2006, 10:11 PM
While I have nothing against Soul Caliber, I have to agree that it can be a button masher, if one wants it to be. Ive seen kids in arcades thinking there amazing because they can bash any buttons using Maxi, its pathetic....

That's like saying Tekken doesn't require skill because someone could use Eddy. Clearly there is no parallel between that and Lei Wulong. Anyway, someone can button bash with Maxi, but someone really good can be unstoppable, not lucky.

Acid Raine
06-01-2006, 10:15 PM
Im more of a Mortal Kombat lover myself. Fatalaties and gallons of blood always win with me!!! Plus, Kitana and Mileena are hot (and who doesnt love Mileena's beautiful smile?)

Old Manus
06-01-2006, 10:16 PM
Since fighting games suck, it has to be Tekken (the only one i've played)

Big D
06-02-2006, 02:37 AM
That's like saying Tekken doesn't require skill because someone could use Eddy. Clearly there is no parallel between that and Lei Wulong. Anyway, someone can button bash with Maxi, but someone really good can be unstoppable, not lucky.Beginner with Eddy versus experienced fighter with anyone at all = Eddy gets owned. Mashing can only get you so far...

edczxcvbnm
06-02-2006, 06:09 AM
That's like saying Tekken doesn't require skill because someone could use Eddy. Clearly there is no parallel between that and Lei Wulong. Anyway, someone can button bash with Maxi, but someone really good can be unstoppable, not lucky.Beginner with Eddy versus experienced fighter with anyone at all = Eddy gets owned. Mashing can only get you so far...

You seemed to have completely missed the point of what MILF said.

DeathKnight
06-02-2006, 06:13 AM

You seemed to have completely missed the point of what MILF said.

I REALLY hate button combinations in fighting games. It's PATHETIC bo remember combos all the time. 2D fighting games like street fighter have a better fighting system, it uses the d-pad more which makes it FUN and not nerdy, I mean really, it's FUNNER to say, do a dircle and punch and you'll piledrive your opponent, than press kick kick punch forward punch to do a great combo, bleh.

PS: the nerdy part maybe ridiculous...but it's boring.

edczxcvbnm
06-02-2006, 06:43 AM
Why did you quote me? You didn't even respond to what I said. WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?!

Anyways 2D fighters have a long way to go before the reach the master status of a game like Virtual Fighter. You don't really memorize a combo in that game so much as you memorize what all the different button presses are so you can flow in and out of them to do what you want.

The only 2D fighters I like are campy ones such as Marvel Vs Capcom or something like Bleach DS.

Rengori
06-02-2006, 06:46 AM
I hate buttonmashers.

DeathKnight
06-02-2006, 03:26 PM
I hate buttonmashers.

I second that feeling.

Mo-Nercy
06-02-2006, 03:51 PM
I hate buttonmashers.

I second that feeling.
Guard impact, grab, 8-way run backwards. Plenty of options available to you. Generally the people who lose to buttonmashers in Soul Calibur are buttonmashers themselves.

Soul Calibur noobs poop me.

Dreddz
06-02-2006, 04:46 PM
People who button mash are far from hard, seeing as they dont have a clue what there doing, they put themselves in easy positions for the opponent to attack.

DeathKnight
06-02-2006, 05:22 PM
People who button mash are far from hard, seeing as they dont have a clue what there doing, they put themselves in easy positions for the opponent to attack.

Yup, but still, 3D games which are based on BUTTON smashing rather than D-pad button combinations get boring after some time.

special moves>button combos

edczxcvbnm
06-02-2006, 06:13 PM

Yup, but still, 3D games which are based on BUTTON smashing rather than D-pad button combinations get boring after some time.

Have you ever even played a 3D fighter and known what you are doing? From the sounds of it you have no damn clue what you are talking about.

Special moves in 2D fighters are retarded anyways because there is that big of a lack of normal moves to begin with so they fill it in with special moves like 'Fire Balls'

2D fighters are the scum of fighting games.

DeathKnight
06-02-2006, 06:48 PM

Have you ever even played a 3D fighter and known what you are doing? From the sounds of it you have no damn clue what you are talking about.

Special moves in 2D fighters are retarded anyways because there is that big of a lack of normal moves to begin with so they fill it in with special moves like 'Fire Balls'

2D fighters are the scum of fighting games.

O RLY?! You know so much that if there wasn't street fighter there'd be no Tekken, DOA, and Soul Calibur(MUCH MUCH later in our life time or not at all).

And you better get your facts straight before accusing me of not knowing what I'm doing in 3D fighting games. Hell I could kick your ass 50 times a row in Virtua Fighter without mercy and I KNOW what I'm doing.

And at least 2D fighters have MEANINGFUL moves, not worthless combos which bores the game to death, there's nothing SPECIAL, nothing you'd say "WOW" 'bout since it's just a bunch of punch and kick with nothing special to them.

edczxcvbnm
06-02-2006, 07:55 PM
You said 3D fighters are based on button smashing. How can you be skilled if it is button smashing?

You keep talking about beating me up in virtual fighter all you want but seeing as how we will never meet we will never know. I own that game and I am pretty good at it...considering I use the noob fighter Lion or what ever his name is. I could learn someone else but no one else is as funny or as sexy looking as he is. Yes I am that shallow :D

Meaningful moves like fire ball? You say all 3D fighters are really nothing but punching and kicking...welcome to what fighting is. I don't recall ever seeing an advertisment to go to some martial arts school saying "You too can be like Ryu and learn the mysteries of the Hadoken."

Speical moves are fine but don't act like you can button mash with them. That is just ignorant. Everyone knows there are a few basic moves you can do. Fire ball motion, back to forward. Half circle. I can button mash in a 2D fighter also because 80% of the moves are the same motion. The results are different but they are also different with 3D fighters depending on the character chosen.

Yes. I do claim that you know nothing about 3D fighters still because you sure don't talk like you know anything about them.

DeathKnight
06-02-2006, 08:07 PM
You said 3D fighters are based on button smashing. How can you be skilled if it is button smashing?

You keep talking about beating me up in virtual fighter all you want but seeing as how we will never meet we will never know. I own that game and I am pretty good at it...considering I use the noob fighter Lion or what ever his name is. I could learn someone else but no one else is as funny or as sexy looking as he is. Yes I am that shallow :D

Meaningful moves like fire ball? You say all 3D fighters are really nothing but punching and kicking...welcome to what fighting is. I don't recall ever seeing an advertisment to go to some martial arts school saying "You too can be like Ryu and learn the mysteries of the Hadoken."

Speical moves are fine but don't act like you can button mash with them. That is just ignorant. Everyone knows there are a few basic moves you can do. Fire ball motion, back to forward. Half circle. I can button mash in a 2D fighter also because 80% of the moves are the same motion. The results are different but they are also different with 3D fighters depending on the character chosen.

Yes. I do claim that you know nothing about 3D fighters still because you sure don't talk like you know anything about them.

Well, we could go on an endless rampage 'bout who knows more 'bout 2D/3D fighters and it's pointless. All I know is, I'm VERY good in Virtua Fighter(few have beaten me) which must mean I know my combos very well which must mean I know a lot 'bout 3D fighters. And I'm sure you've played some 2D fighters so you must know something, my point still remains that 2D fighters(the way you play them) is FUNNER, somewhat easier to START with and seems to leave a lasting APPEAL when it comes to MOVES. I've NEVER heard anyone say, man I love doing the "whatever combo" as much as I've heard "Ryu's Super Hadoken kicks ass" We have different views, but that's ok.