PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Reviewers

Elite Lord Sigma
05-20-2006, 05:35 AM
Have you ever run into a review on a product, and wonder, "Who was stupid enough to approve this piece of crap?" I have an example of such a review below:

Rating: 1 star
Comment: random gibberish

I mean, what kind of a review is that? The reviewer should be shot a couple times. I highly doubt the reviewer even watched the movie, and probably rated it based simply because it was Pokemon. This same user has a bunch of equally crappy reviews. I wonder why in blazes MSN lets people post this crap.

Have you ever seen reviews like this one?

Rengori
05-20-2006, 07:12 AM
Search any front page Newgrounds flash reviews on rating and go to the very last page.

boris no no
05-20-2006, 10:08 AM
I ignore all reviewers. I have a different taste in things, maybe agree with them maybe not. But I don't care of their opinion as usually its some fat old middle class English man that has no friends

Cz
05-20-2006, 01:34 PM
I rarely pay attention to reviews, even from official sources. Unless you know nothing about the product in question, then you go into the review with certain expectations that the reviewer is never likely to meet. Sometimes it's because they're just a complete idiot, like the guy you quoted, but others it's simply a difference of opinion between the reviewer and yourself. That can be quite good for a laugh (the angry responses to poor reviews in the NME's letters page is highly entertaining) but it's hardly something worth worrying about.

Aurey
05-20-2006, 01:44 PM
Pitchfork has loads of bad reviewers.

Hahahahahjsrskjflahfohjgkljs

Iceglow
05-20-2006, 01:47 PM
more often than not games today aren't reviewed on what deserves meriting such as the storyline, the playability of the game (controls system and such) and the re-play value. They're reviewed purely on their graphics and yes graphics that look visually stunning or leave you drooling for a fortnight before the release are nice to see but then would you rather play the visually stunning 2 hour long, crap storyline full of holes and crappy controls or the visually not so stunning or even dare I say it poor 170 hour storyline that has depth greater than that of final fantasy 7 and controls better than anything you ever used before?

Personally I ignore a games review I make my own judgement, I have little interest in games of sports aside from the tony hawks and dave mirra series (though bmxXx works well 'cause the engine is that of Dave mirra 3) so I'll either pick a copy up out of my local blockbuster or if I am desperate go to the local independant games store and try it out.

Captain Maxx Power
05-20-2006, 01:55 PM
My buying tactics usually follow what is commonly top of avg. thoughts on the thing.

Elite Lord Sigma
05-20-2006, 02:59 PM
I never listen to reviewers, because more often than not I find myself disagreeing with them.

Sephex
05-20-2006, 04:11 PM
If I ever feel like pissing myself off I go read reviews at gamefaqs.

Perducci
05-20-2006, 09:51 PM
This one time I read a review of Evil Dead: Army of Darkness and the guy gave it one star and so I nearly put my fist through the screen.

Anybody who dislikes that movie should be thrown to the deadites.

Old Manus
05-20-2006, 09:58 PM
Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing is the best game ever.

EDIT: It's WINNER, hoho

Malboro_Menace
05-20-2006, 11:15 PM
Well if I c any1 hoo strts 2 tlk lik dis then I generally regard the review as utter bull/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif from some guy who can't spell at all.

I don't usually like reviews. You should try it out for yourself and see if YOU like it. Not some faggot with a keyboard.

Khaotic
05-21-2006, 05:17 AM
I usually buy games based on their reviews, though I can disagree with the people, for example, Gamestats gave Suikoden III somewhere in the 8.5 or so range, I didn't like the game at all.

I don't do this with everygame, though, like Final Fantasys i'll buy no matter how good or bad they are, thats just the way it is for me. :P

PontiusPilate
05-21-2006, 05:55 AM
Yeah, u cant really say "i dont listen to reviews". I mean dont just look at one, look at alot of them. If lots of people are giving games 6 and 7's out of 10 then the game probably sucks

-N-
05-21-2006, 07:06 AM
I've only used Rotten Tomatoes for movies, which tends to be on the ball, and GameFAQs for video games, which averages out the moronic reviewers. It works out.

I Took the Red Pill
05-21-2006, 07:12 AM
Yeah, rottentomatoes or Ebert & Roeper usually suffice for movies. For games, I usually go to 1up because I like their reviews and the fact that they take the average of 3rd party reviews.

Elite Lord Sigma
05-22-2006, 09:25 PM
I also once read a review on GameFAQs on Super Smash Bros. Melee, which gave it a 4/10. I nearly threw my computer out the window. Anybody that dislikes that game should be thrown into a lake tied to a cement block.

eestlinc
05-22-2006, 10:02 PM
<a href=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005JGA4/sr=8-1/qid=1148331631/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-3467046-3814219?%5Fencoding=UTF8>Well, the fact remains that I did like Bread and continue to like Bread from time to time, so much so that I own this CD.</a>

Big D
05-23-2006, 02:04 AM
The User Reviews section at Yahoo!Movies is great. Just search the highest or lowest ratings to see either unmitigated squeeing, or inept ranting.

'Controversial' movies, like Dogma or The Two Towers, are prime comedy mines at that place.

Reine
05-23-2006, 02:13 AM
Reviews often annoy me at Gamefaqs, but only the ones with low ratings, as they tend to always be incredbily silly or blatant lies.

One guy gave Shadow of the Collossus a low rationg, and flamed almost everything about the game. That REALLY annoyed me. Anyone who thinks that game is lame and unoriginal is blatantly lying, or just plain stupid

LunarWeaver
05-23-2006, 02:16 AM
User Reviews suffer from being all opinion and no professional outlook...I mean, I love Xenosaga but I wouldn't slap them both with a 10/10 just because it tickles my fancy... They are just so exaggerative it makes me laugh. It's all 1/10 and 10/10. Gooood times.

DK
05-23-2006, 04:44 AM
Reviews suffer from being all opinion and no professional outlook.

Angel Heart
05-23-2006, 03:53 PM
I read a review the other day that gave FF1 3/10. I've never played it but everyone else say's it's a classic.

ekinserge
05-23-2006, 03:57 PM
x-play also have many bad reviews...thanks to adam sessler and morgan webb...

~SapphireStar~
05-23-2006, 05:05 PM
I never listen to reviewers, because more often than not I find myself disagreeing with them.
And you always end up loving the product they hate. Isnt life funny?

ekinserge
05-23-2006, 05:08 PM
sometimes funny, sometimes sad...sometimes unpredictable...