PDA

View Full Version : Monty Python

Shoden
05-20-2006, 03:38 PM
Anyone watch these films? I've never seen movies so funny, I have yet to watch the Life of Brian.

"you silly sod"
"I'm serious, look at the size of it's jaws, the eyes.. Look at the bones!"
"you twat"
"really"
"you manky Scottish git."

"RUN AWAY!"

lol, some of these things are absolute monstrous, what would comedy be without Monty Python? Anyways as I was saying, I really enjoyed these movies, so is anyone else fans of these films? If so discuss them.

*throws Holy Hand Grenade*

Spammerman
05-20-2006, 03:56 PM
i think ive seen part of one, somethin bout a holy grail or stuff. The Black Knight was fighting some other knight then he was fighting the king of britain or something.

Rye
05-20-2006, 03:56 PM
I've only seen The Holy Grail, but I liked it. I really liked Spamalot, the musical of it. I just saw it a few days ago. :)

DK
05-20-2006, 04:02 PM
Never got what all the fuss was about, really. They're not that good.

Shoden
05-20-2006, 04:03 PM
Just because there's no chick flicks doesn't mean it sucks, Kyono.

DK
05-20-2006, 04:04 PM
Yes obviously that is why I do not like Monty Python. I admire your skills of observation and deduction Shoden.

Lost Number
05-20-2006, 04:04 PM
All I remember from them is something about some nuns and a knight running away.

Lets see,
"Brave brave sir Robin, dashing to the fray,
Brave brave sir Robin, sir robin ran away!"

or similar

Shoden
05-20-2006, 04:23 PM
It's just random humour, they are pretty funny. You don't need to be so sarcastic and negative Kyono, lighten up a bit. You have to watch the movies a few times to understand them, the meaning of life was a bit hard to get, some of the stuff was err, not so funny. If you don't like it, then so be it. It's not as if it's a law. That chick flick thing was a pretty crap joke though, so err, just ignore it.

There was also "And brave sir Robin bravely turned his head and ran away" " I didn't"

Jebus
05-20-2006, 04:35 PM
I own the Holy Grail and Life of Brian on DVD, as well as Life of Brian and Meaning of Life on VHS.

I also own the entire television series on DVD.

I LOVE Monty Python. It's the perfect blend of randomness, surrealism, and satire.

Shoden
05-20-2006, 04:55 PM
"Get back here, I'll bite your legs off!"
I liked the Holy Grail the best, "she turned me into a newt" "a newt?" "I got better".

Is Life of Brian any good?

Jebus
05-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Very good. It's more satirical than Holy Grail, and is generally a better movie.

DK
05-20-2006, 05:00 PM
I never said it wasn't funny, anyway, just not as funny as people make it out to be. The only part that made me "lol" when I was watching the Holy Grail was when Lancelot was breaking into that castle thing and John Cleese just randomly booted the bride in the chest and floored her, that made me laugh, and also his french man "I fart in your general direction" was funny, but other than that it wasn't that great. There have been way better british comedies. :\

Jebus
05-20-2006, 05:08 PM
I never said it wasn't funny, anyway, just not as funny as people make it out to be. The only part that made me "lol" when I was watching the Holy Grail was when Lancelot was breaking into that castle thing and John Cleese just randomly booted the bride in the chest and floored her, that made me laugh, and also his french man "I fart in your general direction" was funny, but other than that it wasn't that great. There have been way better british comedies. :\

Fawlty Towers for instance.

But in my opinion, the series is much funnier than the movies.

Elite Lord Sigma
05-20-2006, 05:11 PM
I've watched Life of Brian and Holy Grail, and both are sheer comic genius.

Spiffing Cheese
05-20-2006, 05:24 PM
I love Monty Python. :D I like Life of Brian better than Holy Grail. Like Jebus said, the series is better than the films, and Fawlty Towers is far superior to any of the Monty Python episodes/films. :D

Rengori
05-20-2006, 05:27 PM
I've seen the Holy Grail, and that's it. But that was pure comic gold.

Shoden
05-20-2006, 05:52 PM
Yeah, I liked Fawlty towers too, I liked Father Ted and Blackadder too.
I liked the scene at the end of the meaning of life with death, about what he said about that American bloke.

DK
05-20-2006, 06:02 PM
Yes Fawlty Towers is fucking amazing. Also, see: Red Dwarf, Blackadder, Goodness Gracious Me, Father Ted, Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps, Bottom, The Young Ones, and at least 15 panel/game shows and probably more sitcoms that i'm forgetting.

Shoden
05-20-2006, 06:04 PM
I watched Two Pints of Lager one time, my sister has an obsession with that. Red Dwarf is supposed to be legendery though. Probably the problem with Python is that the films are from the 70's.

Emerald weapon
05-20-2006, 06:09 PM
I love monty poython,my favourite is''and now for somthing completely diffrent''its just 2 hours of sheer randomness and halarity and the ''holy grail''was quite funny(the coconuts for the horse sound effects lmfao)

DK
05-20-2006, 06:26 PM
Red Dwarf IS legendary. See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF1js0VnJf8

NeoCracker
05-20-2006, 06:41 PM
Death Awaits you all with Sharp, pointy teeth.

Roto13
05-20-2006, 07:14 PM
I have a cousin who's obsessed with them. I don't really go for random silliness, but they were funny from time to time.

Jings
05-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Bladen, you have to watch Life of Brian. Far better than Holy Grail in my opinion.

"Are you the Judean People's Front?"
"Fuck off. We're the people's Front of Judea."

Perducci
05-20-2006, 09:39 PM
"He's NOT the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"

I love Monty Python.

And John Cleese was by far the best.

Slade
05-21-2006, 02:34 AM
I've only seen 'The Life of Brian' and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

fantasyjunkie
05-21-2006, 05:45 AM
I love the Holy Grail. That damn rabbit smurfed those people up! :D

lady yunalesca
05-21-2006, 12:31 PM
"He's NOT the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"

I love Monty Python.

And John Cleese was by far the best.

that was amazing!!! LOL

i love monty python!! british comedy is great!!

blackadder is very funny!! One episode baldric has a crack at alchemy, and sucessfully create "pure green" instead of gold, its classic!!!

Red dwarf is hilarious! gotta love that dwayne dibbly!!! LOL

Captain Maxx Power
05-21-2006, 12:39 PM
Red Dwarf IS legendary. See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF1js0VnJf8

I know this is a Monty Python thread, but Red Dwarf must be acknowledged. Kryten is one of the funniest comic creations ever. Smeeee Heeee!

Bart's Friend Milhouse
05-21-2006, 01:14 PM
Has anyone seen Flying Circus. I've seen bits of all three of the films

Rostum
05-21-2006, 01:23 PM
Love monty python. ^^ Also blackadder and faulty towers.

Faris
05-21-2006, 03:25 PM
Monty Python <3

Renmiri
05-21-2006, 05:47 PM
Anyone watch these films? I've never seen movies so funny, I have yet to watch the Life of Brian.

They are sooo funny!!!! And very deep at the same time. You are missing a great critique on religion and politics, "The Life of Brian" is not only hillarious but also great material for thinking about those isssues.

Jebus
05-21-2006, 05:48 PM

Yup. I own the entire series on DVD, and have watched it all several times.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
05-21-2006, 05:57 PM

Yup. I own the entire series on DVD, and have watched it all several times.

Then you must agree that the Ministry Of Silly Walks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3omptPcv92k&search=silly%20walks) is freaking hilarious

Jebus
05-21-2006, 06:02 PM
Pretty much anything with John Cleese is freaking hilarious, but yeah, that one's doubly so.

Spiffing Cheese
05-21-2006, 06:52 PM
Yes Fawlty Towers is smurfing amazing. Also, see: Red Dwarf, Blackadder, Goodness Gracious Me, Father Ted, Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps, Bottom, The Young Ones, and at least 15 panel/game shows and probably more sitcoms that i'm forgetting.

Yes. :heart:

Odaisé Gaelach
05-21-2006, 06:56 PM
They were fantastic! :D :D :D

I really didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition! :eek:

Perducci
05-21-2006, 06:58 PM
Ministry of Silly Walks is one of my favorites. :D

RPJesus
05-21-2006, 09:23 PM
It's probably the best comedy ever.
All the episodes, the films... the other guy's stuff. Like Faulty Towers and Ripping Yarns.

Love em. Can't say it... in words. Need... over-sized balloons.

~SapphireStar~
05-21-2006, 09:26 PM
I prefer Holy Grail over Life of Brian, it wasnt as comical and HG had the best lines:

King Arthur: [after Arthur's cut off both of the Black Knight's arms] Look, you stupid b*****d. You've got no arms left.
Black Knight: Yes I have.
King Arthur: *Look*!
Black Knight: It's just a flesh wound.

French Soldier: You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts.

Dennis: Come and see the violence inherent in the system. Help! Help! I'm being repressed!
King Arthur: Bloody peasant!
Dennis: Oh, what a giveaway! Did you hear that? Did you hear that, eh? That's what I'm on about! Did you see him repressing me? You saw him, Didn't you?

Sir Lancelot: Look, my liege!
[trumpets play a fanfare as the camera cuts briefly to the sight of a majestic castle]
King Arthur: [in awe] Camelot!
Sir Galahad: [in awe] Camelot!
Sir Lancelot: [in awe] Camelot!
Patsy: [derisively] It's only a model!
King Arthur: Shh!

And the whole "Knights of the Round Table" song. The Lego version is classic :D

I really didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!
It was so funny when Michael Palin was cut off as he said it and I think he said "Oh bugger!" as the credits rolled :D I'll have to try and find it.

Jebus
05-21-2006, 09:40 PM
I wave my private parts at your aunties you cheesy lot of second hand electric donkey bottom biters!

Perducci
05-21-2006, 11:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ij43AcfPAc

^^
John Cleese is badass.

~SapphireStar~
05-22-2006, 12:09 AM
My God, so much hate. I'm a Christian and i am repulsed by this man's behaviour. On the other hand, the man who died was gay so it's ok, i guess.
Glad that guy got slated. Im sure Graham Chapman was beyond happy to have John say wicked things about him! That person was obiviously not a MP fan. Im Christian and found it funny as hell and Im sure the vicar did too!

Perducci
05-22-2006, 12:13 AM
My God, so much hate. I'm a Christian and i am repulsed by this man's behaviour. On the other hand, the man who died was gay so it's ok, i guess.
Glad that guy got slated. Im sure Graham Chapman was beyond happy to have John say wicked things about him! That person was obiviously not a MP fan. Im Christian and found it funny as hell and Im sure the vicar did too!

Chapman was a funny guy. It's only natural the other pythons would want to get some good laughs at his expense. :)

Bart's Friend Milhouse
05-22-2006, 12:35 AM
Does anyone actually know about the time when John Cleese and Michael Palin went on a Friday Night, Saturday Morning. I've never seen John Cleese take such interest in ceiling decor before

DeShanai
05-22-2006, 03:50 AM
The Holy Grail was my fave...lol. The average wing velocity of a European sparrow?

Perducci
05-22-2006, 03:29 PM
"Where did you get those coconuts from?"

Croyles
05-24-2006, 12:56 AM
Monty Pythons great, its a shame ive watched all of them too many times. Its died out for me now.

The Unknown Guru
05-25-2006, 12:12 AM
Monty Python rules. My favorite movie is And Now for Something Completely Different. I think some of the episodes of the show are a lot funnier though.

Dennis: Come and see the violence inherent in the system. Help! Help! I'm being repressed!
King Arthur: Bloody peasant!
Dennis: Oh, what a giveaway! Did you hear that? Did you hear that, eh? That's what I'm on about! Did you see him repressing me? You saw him, Didn't you?

The peasants in Warcraft 3 quote the Holy Grail. "Help! Help! I'm being repressed!" "You're the king? Well, I didn't vote for you!" "We've found a witch! May we burn her?"

StarChild
05-25-2006, 01:01 AM
I saw all those films because one of my good friends in high school was british so he had to introduce me to them, lol, well that was his logic. But anyways, When I was watching "Life of Brian"...that was an interesting moment in my life 0__0 I think I may have been scarred for life or something.

Ifirit's Fury
05-25-2006, 06:16 PM
Ahhh, all the python movies are great. My favorite skit though is from the flying circus. Self-Defense against fruit I believe it was?

Absolutely funny, it's like an 8 minute rant about what to do if someone attcks you with a banana, when all one guy is worried about is "pointed sticks"

I realize this may not sound all that side-splitting, you just have to watch it.

Shoden
05-25-2006, 06:43 PM
One of the people of the Monty Python team come from my town. I'm gonna watch Life of Brian in a minute.

jesteranimefreak
05-25-2006, 08:43 PM
Arthur: How many did we lose?
Lancealot: Guaine, Ector, and Bolwes.
Arthur: That's five!
Random knight 1: Three!
Arthur: Three, three... well we can't risk another frontal asualt, that rabbit's dynamite!
Robin: Would it help to confuse it by running away more?
Lancealot: Oh shut up and go and change your armour!
Arthur: Have we got bows? [Random knight shakes his head "no"]
Lancealot: We have the Holy Hand Grenade!
Arthur: Yes of coruse! The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch! Tis one of the Sacred Relics Brother Manarch carries with him! Brother Manarch! Bring out thy Holy Hand Grenade!
[Chant of "Dieasu Dominae, Toras aes Requiem" As the hand grenade is taken to Arthur]
Arthur: How does... um... How does it work?
Lancelot: I know not my leige.
Arthur: Consult the Book of Armnements!
Manarch: Armnements, Chapter 2, Verses 9 through 21...
Squire: And St. Attala raised the Hand Grenade on high saying "Oh Lord! Blessith now this Holy Hand Grenade so it may blow my eneimies to tiny bits! With thine mercy." And the Lord did Grin. And he feasted upon the lambs, and sloths, and carp, and oragutans, and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats, and...
Manarch: Skip a bit Brother...
Squire: And the Lord spake saying: "First thou shall take out thy holy pin. Then thou shalt count to three -- no more, no less. Three shall be the number of the count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four thou shal not count, nor thou count out tow excepting when thou shal proceed to three. Five is right out! Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbeth the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, towards thine foe, who being not in thine sight shall snuff it!
All: Amen.
Arthur: Right [pulls pin] One, Two, Five!
Random Knight: Three, sir!
Arthur: Three! [throws hand grenade]

^^ All of that from memory! :D (might be wrong in some places....)

Croyles
05-25-2006, 09:15 PM
that bit was great!
So is the argument skit:
http://www.rapidsharing.com/b21de230debe14b0abd56be930c30b74

Shoden
05-25-2006, 09:27 PM
Dead Parrot sketch!

Perducci
05-26-2006, 02:45 PM
Ahhh, all the python movies are great. My favorite skit though is from the flying circus. Self-Defense against fruit I believe it was?

Absolutely funny, it's like an 8 minute rant about what to do if someone attcks you with a banana, when all one guy is worried about is "pointed sticks"

I realize this may not sound all that side-splitting, you just have to watch it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3o7Wpk7oNFs&search=Monty%20Python

DynasticJam
05-27-2006, 08:33 AM
I love the Monty Python TV series, it is definately my favorite TV show ever! And the movies have to be the best movies ever made! Anyone who agrees with me has great taste :)

agrudis
05-28-2006, 08:11 AM
I love the Holy Grail. That damn rabbit smurfed those people up! :D

Rabbit?:eek:

GooeyToast
05-28-2006, 05:14 PM
Monty Python is classic. The Holy Grail is comic gold :D

I Don't Need A Name
05-28-2006, 06:15 PM
Love monty python. ^^ Also blackadder and faulty towers.
Well said! Monty Python=Funniest stuff on earth.

yeah, there is a rabbit that bites peoples heads off! very funny, killed by the legendary Holy Hand Grenade Of Antioch

Rengori
05-28-2006, 10:41 PM
yeah, there is a rabbit that bites peoples heads off! very funny, killed by the legendary Holy Hand Grenade Of Antioch
Yeah, they lost 5-
Random Knight: 3 Sir!
3 knights.

~SapphireStar~
06-01-2006, 01:24 AM
Dead Parrot sketch!
Best Python sketch Ever.
Mr. Praline: 'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! This is a late parrot!!

Dead Parrot Sketch on YouTube, bloody watch!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTSAFcLXqYY&search=Dead%20Parrot%20Sketch)

EDIT: I found the Knights of the Round Table Lego sketch which I adore, so I thought I would allow others who havent seen it to ... well, see it! Enjoy!
Knights of the Round Table Lego sketch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIXByCAIzos&search=Monty%20Python%20lego)