PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Quest 8 The Journey of the Cursed King

Ranyx
05-20-2006, 04:39 PM
Has anyone ever played or seen anything about this game?
I had played it for an Hour when my friend came over for a few and i was trying to get my Punching Skills up. So my dude can be like a Kick ass Monk like Tifa. I was getting pretty strong.

kiriu
05-20-2006, 06:53 PM
It's a great game, really. Although I never played with Fisticuffs, I used spears for the Hero, Staffs for Jessica, Swords for Angelo and Scythes for Yangus.

The plot is interesting, and the game really seems to hold you attention (or run your life, which ever you prefer). I reccomend getting the game, if you can. And the plot doesn't end after the final boss is finished, there's a bonus ending, after you complete *certain* tasks.

Get it, and play it, and love it.

Roto13
05-20-2006, 11:17 PM
I got as far as Dhoulmagus, then died and lost interest. I'll go back to it this summer.

DJZen
05-20-2006, 11:25 PM
I'm making slow but steady progress in the game, and I reccomend it heavily to all fans of RPGs.

Nick Schovitz
05-20-2006, 11:33 PM
It gets really confusing where to go sometimes like how were you supposed to know when to go to Tyran Gully, or Pirate's Cove. I'm stillplaying it and haven't finished it and I've played it at 101 hours, I'm close to the end, but I still won't beat it because my PS2 is broke or dusty, either one.

hippo111
05-21-2006, 07:10 PM
i got the game a few weeks ago i just got to baracca or what ever it call i thought it was realey confusing trying to find the way to go when i got the ship:confused:

BizzerocitY
05-21-2006, 09:48 PM
haha, I play with the game guide so I never get confused, but it's spoiler free so sometimes I get stomped by a boss I wasn't expecting =(.

DJZen
05-22-2006, 01:25 AM
i got the game a few weeks ago i just got to baracca or what ever it call i thought it was realey confusing trying to find the way to go when i got the ship:confused:

Really? If you talk to your party they say "go to the western continent", and there's really only one place to dock there. Once you find it they say "Baccarat is south of here". Once you get there, massive spoilers happen, and you're more or less flat out told where to go next. I personally thought this part of the game was very clear.

BustaMo
05-22-2006, 01:55 AM
I've heard some really good things about the latest game, and heard it was really really long if you did most everything in the game. I have the demo that Squenix sent out free when you registered on their site, but it's not that long so I was not really all that impressed with it. I'd give it a try though if it ever goes down in price to $20 in the bargain bin at EBgames.

tan
05-22-2006, 04:00 AM
I got this game for Christmas and finished it in January or so, I think. At first I was really bored with it, but after I played through some of the boring parts (and trained) I really started to like it. If there is a Dragon Quest IX for the PS2 (most likely PS3, but you never know) I will definitely go buy it.

This game is really good! Oh, yeah, Jessica only knew those sexy abilities because I wanted to see her "puff-puff" ability. It wasn't exactly what I expected, but I did like it :D

crazybayman
05-22-2006, 12:28 PM
Awesome game. And yes, it has that ability to run your life :p .

I bought it the day it came out, and finished it without any walkthroughs or cheats, and it took me a little more than 100hrs. Now I'm doing the extra quest, and I'm up to 180+ hrs. (no, I haven't been playing it steady since November :p)

It is a bit time consuming, and requires a bit more tedious levelling than a typical Final Fantasy. Incredible RPG though. I definitely recommend it to any RPG fan. Awesome battle system, great storyline, comical characters, and loads of nostalgia from earlier DQ games. Many of the same enemies like Drackys, mummies, golems, etc.

So yeah, get it.