PDA

View Full Version : aqua lung

TRANS_AM409
05-20-2006, 06:55 PM
Whats your opinion on how some of the people in FFX breath under water like Tidus,Wakka,Rikku,and the blitz ball players

look_out_below
05-20-2006, 07:07 PM
In the game at one point if you talk to the members of the Besaid blitz team one of them will explain that Wakka and Tidus cant actually breathe underwater but can just hold their breath for a very long.

TRANS_AM409
05-20-2006, 07:30 PM
In the game at one point if you talk to the members of the Besaid blitz team one of them will explain that Wakka and Tidus cant actually breathe underwater but can just hold their breath for a very long.
I never new that thanks for clearing that up but man they can hold their breath for a long time they do like ten miniuts of work under water dang!

Remon
05-20-2006, 08:15 PM
Actually it's for 5 minutes........................................................
i think that holding the breath is hard but seeing underwater is even harder how can they do that?:confused:

Dark Paladin
05-20-2006, 08:22 PM
One of the Besaid Auroch players also says that someone really good at things like blitzball can sleep underwater.

TRANS_AM409
05-20-2006, 09:57 PM
Yeah a blitz game is five min. but at the beging when tidus and rikku are under water its longer than that and there are 2 whole boss battles under water + one more if you get anima

Jessweeee♪
05-21-2006, 02:12 AM
....and then they get thrown in the water at Bevelle so they'll drown...

Dell
05-21-2006, 04:56 AM
It's just a game. Don't take it too hard.

Renmiri
05-21-2006, 05:57 PM
Whats your opinion on how some of the people in FFX breath under water like Tidus,Wakka,Rikku,and the blitz ball players
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blitzball#Blitzball_in_Final_Fantasy_X

How exactly the teams manage to hold their breath underwater for such long periods of time is a source of confusion among players. One theory by fans of the game suggests that it is the result of training on the part of the players. In Eternal Calm, a short film set two years after the conclusion of Final Fantasy X, Yuna notes that after much practice and training from Wakka, she is able to hold her breath for over two minutes. However, the Final Fantasy X Scenario Ultimania guide states that it is the unique properties of the magical pyrefly saturated water in the blitzball arena that enables players to stay under water for the 5 minutes required for each half-time.[1]

[1] (2001) Studio BentStuff Final Fantasy X Scenario Ultimania (in Japanese), page 59, DigiCube/Square-Enix. ISBN 4-88787-010-8.

Tavrobel
05-21-2006, 06:10 PM
It is probably both. They train in normal water, so they know what it feels like, but when it comes to getting hit and tackled, and shooting, there's no way someone would still be able to keep their breath in -- it's not possible. The pyrefly saturated water might be able to aid the players in some way to keep their mouths closed, yet still maintain the strength to perform any action underwater.
It could also potentially explain why Evrae was turned into a Zombie so quickly, and could survive under the Purifico (FFX, Excape from Bevelle). I've always wondered about that one that too. Doesn't seem that a Zombie would form so quickly.

Mirage
05-21-2006, 08:29 PM
Actually it's for 5 minutes........................................................
i think that holding the breath is hard but seeing underwater is even harder how can they do that?:confused:
It's actually easier to hold your breath underwater. I've forgotten the details, but some kind of reflex prevents us from inhaling when your face is underwater.
It is possible for a normal, real human being to hold his breath for 13 or so minutes, though then you need a lot of training, and be very, relaxed and not move at all. Considering that, I don't think it's too far fetched that a fantasy character, who is trained at holding his breath, can hold his breath while being active. Also, while sleeping, you consume far less energy than when you fight or play underwater, so sleeping without sleeping seems believable too.
Remember that we're in the world where Tidus, who can barely keep his sword stance up in the beginning of the game, and later can kill monsters many times his size.

Levian
05-21-2006, 08:32 PM
The game is about a girl that can summon a lightning horse and insect girls to defeat a giant whale. I don't think it's too hard to believe that they might be able to hold their breath a little longer than us.

ekinserge
05-21-2006, 08:41 PM
maybe they got something like a mikrochip or what which was implan in their head and then enables them breathe in the water...that's just my opinion...

Mirage
05-21-2006, 09:01 PM
Microchips are a bit too advanced for that setting, and even though they probably exist in machinas, i doubt everyone and their mothers would be able to afford them. Like Wakka and his team, random poor people around the world, etc. A microchip wouldn't be able to produce oxygen anyway.

ekinserge
05-21-2006, 09:06 PM
yeah, you right...maybe my opinion is too childish...but that is just an opinion...

Yuffie514
05-21-2006, 11:33 PM
i think it's something that humans could adapt to. Arizona was so hot when i first moved here. i used to require lots of water, but now i can just get around and maybe challenge a camel :D .

sexymonkey
05-21-2006, 11:56 PM
The game is about a girl that can summon a lightning horse and insect girls to defeat a giant whale. I don't think it's too hard to believe that they might be able to hold their breath a little longer than us.

i was thinking exactly the same!

Renmiri
05-22-2006, 04:38 PM
l o l.. Of course, if we think Aeons are credible we have to think underwater breathing is too.

But the game does have a "canon", i.e., a set of rules on how things should work, i.e., pyreflies can be used for magic, undead can be around because their pyreflies are kept together out of sheer will of the deceased, etc.. So pyreflies in the water maybe make it breathable, not enough for hours of exercise under water but enough for a game of blitz.

I say the breathe water because players DO open their mouths during a game, and you don't see any bubbles coming out of it.

It is not as extraordinary as it seems. Any unborn baby here on earth does the same: breathes liquid stuff. When the baby is born, the nurses actually have to remove all the liquid from his/her lungs so that he starts breathing air (done in old times by a slap on the baby's bum so it would cry and cough up the liquid). There have been actually some researchers that theorized that we humans could stiil get back into breathing liquids..

starseeker
05-22-2006, 06:38 PM
l o l.. Of course, if we think Aeons are credible we have to think underwater breathing is too.

But the game does have a "canon", i.e., a set of rules on how things should work, i.e., pyreflies can be used for magic, undead can be around because their pyreflies are kept together out of sheer will of the deceased, etc.. So pyreflies in the water maybe make it breathable, not enough for hours of exercise under water but enough for a game of blitz.

I say the breathe water because players DO open their mouths during a game, and you don't see any bubbles coming out of it.

It is not as extraordinary as it seems. Any unborn baby here on earth does the same: breathes liquid stuff. When the baby is born, the nurses actually have to remove all the liquid from his/her lungs so that he starts breathing air (done in old times by a slap on the baby's bum so it would cry and cough up the liquid). There have been actually some researchers that theorized that we humans could stiil get back into breathing liquids..

Like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_breathing?

Mirage
05-22-2006, 07:59 PM
An unborn baby does not start to breathe before it's born. They get oxygen from the mother.
And it's said in the game that they hold their breath. And you can open your mouth without exhaling.

Laugh at face of Danger
05-22-2006, 08:01 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blitzball#Blitzball_in_Final_Fantasy_X

How exactly the teams manage to hold their breath underwater for such long periods of time is a source of confusion among players. One theory by fans of the game suggests that it is the result of training on the part of the players. In Eternal Calm, a short film set two years after the conclusion of Final Fantasy X, Yuna notes that after much practice and training from Wakka, she is able to hold her breath for over two minutes. However, the Final Fantasy X Scenario Ultimania guide states that it is the unique properties of the magical pyrefly saturated water in the blitzball arena that enables players to stay under water for the 5 minutes required for each half-time.[1]

[1] (2001) Studio BentStuff Final Fantasy X Scenario Ultimania (in Japanese), page 59, DigiCube/Square-Enix. ISBN 4-88787-010-8.

Two minutes and 41 seconds! man, that little thing sucked, i hated it!

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
05-22-2006, 08:48 PM
i thnk the record was 9 minutes here in RL, which david blaine tried to break and only got a losy 7 minutes, pshh. that's 9 minutes at rest, so 5 minutes moving round and taking some in the stomach should be nothing :D

Skyblade
05-22-2006, 10:01 PM
It is definitely not normal water, the blitzball itself proves that. Even assuming that they could balance the density of the ball to perfectly match that of the water, so that it neither rises nor sinks, it is simply not technically feasible to send a ball through water that easily. The resistance would be incredible. You would be lucky to get it a couple of feet, let alone all the way across the blitzball field.

LunarWeaver
05-22-2006, 10:48 PM
I just left it at "Special training" and called it a day.

My logic is more offended by Wakka's gravity-defying hair then breathing underwater.

The real truth behind the truth: Square didn't feel like making water animations for more characters then 3. (because I know such things)

Renmiri
05-23-2006, 01:40 AM
An unborn baby does not start to breathe before it's born. They get oxygen from the mother
Yes, most of the oxygen comes to the baby through the umbilical cord, up until around the 7th month, until their lungs are formed. But after that, babies do a "dry run" of the respiratory system while unborn, getting some of the oxigen they need through breating the amniotic liquid and they also drink it and digest it, although most of the water and food is also delivered to them via the umbilical cord. If you look on the Wikipedia below, it mentions the use of liquid breathing to care for premature babies.

My logic is more offended by Wakka's gravity-defying hair then breathing underwater.
Oh THAT ? He uses the gel from those Macalania blobs ;)

Like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_breathing?
Wow, cool!

tests of the early 90s were successful: dogs could be kept alive in the perfluorcarbon medium for about 2 hours;

I do remembr reading about experiments with mice and seeing it on the movies (the Abyss) but I didn't know they had solved most of the problems. Early trials caused permanent lung damage but the animals tested on the 90's had no permanent damage :)

Yep, so maybe Blitzball isn't that impossible. Good, it would be so cool to watch a real game! :love:

Cloudstrife4003
05-23-2006, 01:55 AM
Probably a mechanical device or machine-or they put some kind of breathable water in there? A tiny machine-producing oxygen-beacause water is made out of some of oxygen-perhaps it converts it into breathable oxygen ^_^

Renmiri
05-23-2006, 06:55 AM
Probably a mechanical device or machine-or they put some kind of breathable water in there? A tiny machine-producing oxygen-beacause water is made out of some of oxygen-perhaps it converts it into breathable oxygen ^_^
Yep that is what Wikipedia says scientists do to get dogs and mice to breathe "water"... Oxigenate a fluor based liquid and have it constantly cleaned of CO2.

Dell
05-23-2006, 03:58 PM
It's just a game. Don't take it too hard.

Believe me.