PDA

View Full Version : Dark World and Onion equipment...

Peter_20
05-20-2006, 07:12 PM
So, I was running around in this Dark World, collecting the Ribbons, and then I suddenly realized that you obviously couldn't leave the Dark World by any means at all.
Then I heard that the Dragons dropping the powerful Onion equipment lived there, and to me that sounds like I won't be able to use the Onion equipment anywhere besides in the Dark World.

Wtf, is this really true? :eek::mad:
I mean, it's frustrating enough to trudge through the very long final dungeon AND fight battles for every single Ribbon.
Do you have to spend even more time on getting Onion equipment in one sitting as well? :eek::eek::eek:
That sounds way exaggerated, IMHO. :mad:

Yeargdribble
05-20-2006, 07:54 PM
You have to spend a pretty ridiculous amount of time to get 4 FEOKs. I did it in Sylx Tower. It's not quite so bad with frame skip and save states I guess. I can't recall if you can run into any of the dragons up there. There is a pattern to encountering them in the Sylx Tower. I wrote a guide to it a while back but it's somewhat out of reach atm... I may look it up later.

However, if you have no saves outside of the Dark World you may be out of luck.

Sir Bahamut
05-20-2006, 10:09 PM
The Dragons that drop Onion gear are only found in the Sylx Tower. They're quite rare; about 128 battles to meet one, then 68, then 9, 6 and 175 etc.

Tavrobel
05-20-2006, 10:22 PM
So, I was running around in this Dark World, collecting the Ribbons, and then I suddenly realized that you obviously couldn't leave the Dark World by any means at all.
Then I heard that the Dragons dropping the powerful Onion equipment lived there, and to me that sounds like I won't be able to use the Onion equipment anywhere besides in the Dark World.

Wtf, is this really true? :eek::mad:
I mean, it's frustrating enough to trudge through the very long final dungeon AND fight battles for every single Ribbon.
Do you have to spend even more time on getting Onion equipment in one sitting as well? :eek::eek::eek:
That sounds way exaggerated, IMHO. :mad:

No, the Dragons are found in Sylx Tower, at the highest level before the DarkWorld. There's absolutely no way to get all FEOK equipment in one sitting. The battle ratio is REALLY high; once you find one, the chances to find another one look like this:
1/128 > 1/64 > 1/32 > 1/16 > then it goes to a almost random number
An FEOK uses
Two Swords (or one sword/shield, but shields are hard to get)
Onion Armor
Onion Helm (I think those exist, otherwise, it's all about the Ribbons)
Onion Guantlet

So, no. Fortunately for you, you can still Exit out of Sylx Tower. You can also find 2 (at most) Ribbons outside of the DarkWorld. FEOKs are worth it; if you enjoy over the top death dealing, pointless power pwnage.

If you are in DarkWorld and you don't have a save state outside, you're screwed. I strongly discourage the use of Save States whenever possible. Convenient, but it can really mess you up.

Peter_20
05-21-2006, 04:54 PM
So, this FEOK stuff is kinda like chasing the damn Adamant Armours in FF4? :cool::rolleyes2

Zeromus_X
05-21-2006, 05:16 PM
Pretty much.

Yeargdribble
05-22-2006, 08:56 AM
I'd say getting 4 FEOKs is by far easier than getting even 1 Adaman mostly because you're almost definitely playing on an emulator. Off of an emulator I couldn't imagine. I decided to look up my old FEOK guide and cross-post it from the FF:WA forums.

The original is here: http://www.ffwa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52401&highlight=FEOK

For those of you that don't know... The Onion Knight (or Onion Kid as it is somewhat mis-translated) is the weakest job class in FF III. When you get a chance to get new jobs you should switch immediately. Toward the end of the game you get the Ninja and Sage jobs which are the absolute best. The Sage can learn all magics. The Ninja can weild all weapons. When you get some of the best swords in the game... such as Excalibur... it will even tell you that it is THE MOST POWERFUL SWORD. However, that is untrue.

If you can manage to get a full set (or even key parts of the set) of Onion Equipment, the lowly, pathetically weak Onion Knight, can become an insane powerhouse. If you decide to max his levels everything from around 80+ becomes an insane jump in stats. A fully skilled, fully experienced Onion Knight with the full range of gear can barely be hit and can do some insane hitting of his own.

I started this because ??? had brought it up in a thread of his own. I was excited to see someone talking about FF III period and especially questing for the Onion gear which I never found all of in my first several run throughs of the game. A few days ago, after getting a bit less busy, I decided to give the game another run through strickly for the purpose of seeking out the Onion gear.

I've found a lot of FAQs that try to provide info on procuring the Onion Equipment. A notable one is by OnionKid2002 and Sir Bahamut at GameFAQs.
This FAQ is very good and thorough about the stats mostly but not about exactly how to get the goods.

You get the goods by defeating one of three Dragons in the Sylx Tower. You'll need a pertifying weapon or spell and a /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifload of luck. Most of the time the Dragons drop Elixirs. However, if you petrify them they will drop other things. It has been said several times that killing them in other ways such as by spells like Toad maybe bear the items you need but I did not find this to be true.

After several hours (and frame skips) I now have a full party of FEOKs to the max. If you equip all of your OKs with two swords they will do insane damage but since they are already doing far in excess of the damage they need to I decided to get shields for them all so I now have...

8 (!!!) Onion Swords
4 Onion Shields
4 Onion Helms
4 Onion Armors
4 Onion Gauntlets

With this I can double up the swords if I care to. I'm going to put my strategies here and answer any questions and also if anyone else knows of any other good strategies let me know.

The three dragons in the Sylx tower as far as I have found yield these things.

Red Dragons
I personally found only swords and shields from the RD. Swords are by far the easiest piece of equipment to find. This dragon drops them quite often. As far as the shields go... all I can say is... wow... they are rare. I got my last 3 shields from this dragon but it took forever and a LOT of Onion Swords.

Yellow Dragons
I found the majority of my gear from these guys. They drop swords ocassionally but more often than anything they drop gauntlets, helms, and armors.

Green Dragons
I got a shield from one of these guys but it seemed to be a rarity but I've seen some since from it. More often you get the helms and quite often the swords.

Strategy:

I highly suggest using 4 Ninjas (meaning you've been to and from Eureka) with full Crystal gear and bad ass weapons from Eureka to do this hunting. Have the Break Sword preferrably if you can to do the petrifying. You should still have this Since you just got it in the Ancients' Labyrinth. Additionally since you will be leveling up quite a bit while doing this having Ninjas is great since they have insane HP growth. You could easily max out your HP by level 85.

The encounter rate of the Dragons is extremely low. However, there is an ABSOLUTE pattern to it. It seems like the FAQs I've read said that the encounter rate was 1/64 and declines after that to 1/32, 1/16, 1/8 and then goes up to something astronomical. However, I don't actually think this is accurate. I didn't count until the last few battles but this seems the way it is. The 32nd battle you get in will be a dragon battle as long as you are on or above 2F. Then you will need to fight 16 battles and then 8 and then 4. After that it will take far too long and you will most likely be out of HiPotions so return to the Invincible and stock back up (you will have plenty of cash) and rest.

Starting on 2F you run into Red Dragons. It's nice to fight these guys here and keeps you close to the airship and you can get lots of swords... HOWEVER, you will most likely be mowed down by FlameDevils if you stay here for long and even with 99 HiPotions you will not be able to keep yourself in shape long enough.

I would suggest first going to the 6th floor ASAP... there you can fight Yellow Dragons. If you are using a ROM (which I'm sure you are and I have posted at the top of this forum) you can make this go quickly... save between battles as you get close to battle. Fight the Yellow Dragons and try to get these things in this order.

Onion Armor (definately most important)
Onion Gauntlets (improves strength and defense)
Onion Swords (Gives you an actually excuse to turn into an OK)
Onion Helms (I'd get two swords before I'd do this one)

Now... in a single trip to the Sylx Tower you will probably have 4 battles (if you live that long) which will afford you a decent set of equipment to make a decent Semi-Equipped OK.

As long as you have an Armor and a Sword you are good to go. The big upside is that if you have an Onion Knight running through the tower the second time with only these two pieces they will still take WAY less damage than a Ninja with full Crystal gear which means you don't have to spend as much time healing with HiPotions.

Repeat this a few times until you have 4 Semi-Equipped OKs. At this point you can go back to the second floor and do this process on Red Dragons to get more swords and hopefully shields if you want them.

Anyway... this is getting longwinded... actually I think I might do an FAQ for this at GameFAQs to supplement the one that is there.

I hope this helps if you actually decide to go after it all. I'll repeat myself and say that even having weak FEOKs is super overkill in this game. Level 99 FEOKs... well that's just sick (from personal experience)