PDA

View Full Version : Which game had the best battle system?

Fantasy Fan
05-20-2006, 08:37 PM
I think it was VI, IV or I.

That could be the reason why only they went to America first, lol.

Remon
05-20-2006, 08:42 PM
Final Fantasy Tactics and Kingdom Hearts i say

Fantasy Fan
05-20-2006, 08:46 PM
FFCC: hmm

DeathKnight
05-20-2006, 08:52 PM
FFX (the memories are great)

Remon
05-20-2006, 08:56 PM
Which one is that?

DeathKnight
05-20-2006, 08:58 PM
Which one is that?

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles

Remon
05-20-2006, 09:01 PM
oh i'm so stupid:D
Anyways they say ffxii has a great battle system.I woder if that is true cause i can't wait to buy it:D

oops looks like i pressed Add reply too many times...

You can always correct this by clicking on the edit/delete button. Please do not double post. ~ Leeza

Yuffie514
05-21-2006, 05:19 AM
1) Final Fantasy X: a notch above Final Fantasy VIII.

2) Final Fantasy Tactics Advance: "chess-based" action, CLEARED! ...WITH LASTING IMPRESSIONS!

say, are you asking which is best strategy-wise, fun-wise, or maybe more liberal and inventive? in this case, both of the battle systems i picked worked great for me in all the categories.

Dell
05-21-2006, 05:25 AM
Final Fantasy XII, Greatest Battle System Ever!! I know, I've played it.

vincetvalentine
05-21-2006, 06:20 AM
i say it is FF tactics and advent children

blackmage_nuke
05-21-2006, 08:03 AM
One of the few things I loved about X-2 was it's battle system. FFVIII had a really good one though.

ekinserge
05-21-2006, 08:41 AM
I think it was VI, IV or I.

That could be the reason why only they went to America first, I cried aloud with mirth and merriment.
actually the best battle system should be FF12

Fantasy Fan
05-21-2006, 11:31 AM
lots of people saying FF12. :D maybe I should play it. But why do they say VIII?

ekinserge
05-21-2006, 11:44 AM
http://www.ff-fan.com/chartest/tidus.jpg (http://ff-fan.com)
Which FF Character Are You? (http://ff-fan.com/chartest)
i think chrono cross also have great battle system...

Slothy
05-21-2006, 02:12 PM
FF12 may become a favourite of mine, but until I have more than a demo to go by and can really get into it I can't say for certain.

The best in the regular series is definitely FFV though. Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is a liar :p. It's probably the most fun and versatile battle system ever. There are so many potential strategies, and useful abilities that how you play the game is really up to you.

Fantasy Fan
05-30-2006, 10:04 PM
FF6 battle was pretty cool!

Chris
05-30-2006, 10:09 PM
FFIX had the best battle system. I love every little thing about it! All haters can suck my rainboots.

Zeromus_X
05-30-2006, 10:12 PM
I, II, III: Turn-based. III was a whole lot easier on the eyes though.

IV: Starting ATB. No bar yet.

V, VI: ATB with a bar

VII, VIII, IX: ATB, with Limit Break/Special Attacks

X: CTB (Conditional Turn-Based) Different actions result in different wait time.

XI: Real time.

Tactics, Tactics Advanced: Tactics. Duh.

XII: ATB (Active Dimension Battle) Essentially real-time. Some wait involved.

XIII: Dunno yet. Looks sorta ATB by the looks of it.

~SapphireStar~
05-30-2006, 10:12 PM
Turn based ones, catn stand real time.

PontiusPilate
05-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Real time, cant stand turned based

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-30-2006, 10:42 PM
Tactics, definitely.

Mirage
05-31-2006, 12:01 AM
FFX-2 had the best ATB system to date, no doubt. Too bad everything else sucks. FF8 would be a close second, I think. Battle-wise it wasn't too different from the ATB of FF7 and FF9, except it was fast and very smooth. Almost non-existant loading times once the battle has started. When it comes to turn based, I'd say FFX' CTB was rather nice. It gave you a great tactical advantage, but due to it's nature, I sometimes found myself waking up to the battle theme.

When it comes to character advancement systems, I liked the sphere grid a lot, and also the Materia system aswell as the junction system. I'm also a fan of job systems in general, and I thought the one in FFX-2 was rather well done, except it had a lame name.

StarChild
05-31-2006, 12:31 AM
Tactics, definitely.

i knew you were going to say that!!

personally I like FF8, once I got used to the junctioning system, I loved it.

Captain Maxx Power
05-31-2006, 12:55 AM
All have had their strengths and weaknesses. It's hard to pick one out as "teh bestest". Personally I'd select certain aspects of each one accordingly;

FF1 - Class Upgrades: Replace "useless" classes with newer versions rather than just adding more to the pile (FF3 I'm looking at YOU young man!)

FF2 - Spell increasing: As with the above, why have spells replacing their lower counterparts when you can stick with the same spell types but increase them over time?

FF3 - Class switching: Granted this also occurs in FF5, 10-2 and Tactics, but this was the pioneer, so it gets the credit

FF4 - Nothing: Way too bog standard for my liking. Nothing shines about it

FF5 - Ability Learning: Again copied in 10-2, but the idea of being able to cross-class different abilities opens up hundreds of possibilities

FF6 - Nothing: Again the battle system isn't awfully innovative, besides equipping Espers. But we'll get to that in a minute

FF7 - Skill/Magic extension: Confused? Let me explain. In FF7 you can, as you know, equip effects and abilities onto a character. Well I like the idea of being able to combine effects, and of course being able to equip more abilities later on. Perhaps combine "Throw" and "Dance" to create "Whirlwind dagger-throwing of doom", or "White Magic" with "Sing" to have various effects constantly occuring in battle to all allies/enemies.

FF8 - Junctioning...to an extent: The ability to increase certain stats of your characters, using elements besides Magic stocking, because that's just rubbish. Maybe some kind of grid-based system whereby you could insert various "stat stones", with bonuses to one's lined up? Long shot I know...

FF9 - Nothing: Again nothing I can think of to include here. The whole learning abilties off equipment can be tiresome, as my first playthrough revealed when I reached the end with only half of the available abilities learned with no more possible due to selling that Leather Armour I was sure I'd never need.

FF10 - Stat Maxing: I'm all for really big number. If done properly it can feel like a real achievement. Going from the hundreds of damage at the start of the game to the constant 99,999s, done at an appropriate curve, makes you feel like you've made real progress.

FF10-2 - Mid-battle class changes: Speaks for itself really

K that's about it really. Above is my favourite battle system. QED.

...by the way it's real-time.

PontiusPilate
05-31-2006, 01:23 AM
whats real time?

Zeromus_X
05-31-2006, 01:31 AM
Where you move around and hit things. In real time. Like-oh god here it comes- a Zelda game.

PontiusPilate
05-31-2006, 01:49 AM
no no i know what it is i was just asking what "it" is referring to when Maxx Power said "...by the way it's real-time."

Mirage
05-31-2006, 01:54 AM
The more realtime something is, the better :p. I prefer the SO3 and ToS battle systems over any Final Fantasy battle system :p.

Zeromus_X
05-31-2006, 02:02 AM
no no i know what it is i was just asking what "it" is referring to when Maxx Power said "...by the way it's real-time."
I'm pretty sure that that's what he was saying his favorite was.

ljkkjlcm9
05-31-2006, 03:51 AM
The more realtime something is, the better :p. I prefer the SO3 and ToS battle systems over any Final Fantasy battle system :p.
I agree... the Tales of... series has some of my favorite battle systems, and I truly enjoyed Tales of Symphonia in it's 3-D nature, my personal favorite battle system ever. Real time, yet you can go in menus as well and temp pause the game.

As for FF, I'll go with FFVI. The multiple different characters all with different abilities, I prefer this. Especially when it is pulled off so well and each character that represents a class has his/her own story. See the thing this does, is take all the best classes from say, FFV, and makes them individual characters each with their own story. I LOVED it.

THE JACKEL

Rogue
05-31-2006, 05:27 AM
i like ff11 and ff12 but the best battle system in any game was kingdom hearts 1 and 2

Fantasy Fan
05-31-2006, 11:46 AM
I don't like KH. KH sucks IMO.

PontiusPilate
06-01-2006, 09:02 PM
I have to disagree with you 100%. KH 1 and 2 beats FF in story, voiceacting, music, and gameplay

Dreddz
06-01-2006, 09:17 PM
I like FFV's job system :tongue:

Captain Maxx Power
06-01-2006, 10:49 PM

See that whole jazz right above the last sentance? The whole ten or so paragraphs of typing. That would be the "it".